As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Long held misconceptions

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I have noticed that Canadian people sound alike, and not even in the stereotypical "eh" way.

I don't even know what accent I have. I've lived in Brooklyn all my life but I've probably picked up some affectations from others. Also, I tend to mumble so maybe I sound worse than I think.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Last year, the Saudi courts refused to anull the marriage of an 8-year-old girl to a 56-year-old man.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Res wrote: »
    Last year, the Saudi courts refused to anull the marriage of an 8-year-old girl to a 56-year-old man.

Now THAT'S a misconception!

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited April 2009
    The age of consent in Singapore is 16 for all opposite-sex activity and only female same-sex sexual activity. Under section 377A (outrages on decency) in the Penal Code states that; Any male person who, in public or private, commits, or abets the commission of, or procures or attempts to procure the commission by any male person of, any act of gross indecency with another male person, shall be punished with imprisonment for a term which may extend to 2 years.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I thought all these horrible things about sex laws abroad were made up. I decided to research some of them now and amazingly I'm finding that a lot of them are true. I thought I was going to be able to say "Hey, this and this is and this isn't actually true." Now I'm a little sad.

I'm unable to find definitively whether Saudi Arabia does in fact lop off the heads of rape victims for being raped. I've heard it a lot but I can't really find anything that says it definitely happens or definitely doesn't.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    One common misconception many might have is that western countries no longer have blasphemy laws, or at least that they aren't enforced. Not so. Britain's blasphemy law was used well at least well into the 90's, and were only revoked after the Sudan pointed them out in a "you're doing it to" response to the teddy bear controversy.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I thought all these horrible things about sex laws abroad were made up. I decided to research some of them now and amazingly I'm finding that a lot of them are true. I thought I was going to be able to say "Hey, this and this is and this isn't actually true." Now I'm a little sad.

I'm unable to find definitively whether Saudi Arabia does in fact lop off the heads of rape victims for being raped. I've heard it a lot but I can't really find anything that says it definitely happens or definitely doesn't.

You'd be surprised what you can find on the books in some places. Take Mass. Have you bathed on a Sunday. You've broken the law. Even if you answered no. Even more hilarious is wondering why the puritains thought it necessary to outlaw sleeping in a cheesecake factory.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »

You'd be surprised what you can find on the books in some places. Take Mass. Have you bathed on a Sunday. You've broken the law. Even if you answered no. Even more hilarious is wondering why the puritains thought it necessary to outlaw sleeping in a cheesecake factory.

To prevent the horrifying events of an I Love Lucy episode, of course.

yalborap on
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    One common misconception many might have is that western countries no longer have blasphemy laws, or at least that they aren't enforced. Not so. Britain's blasphemy law was used well at least well into the 90's, and were only revoked after the Sudan pointed them out in a "you're doing it to" response to the teddy bear controversy.

Have you got a link to a story about someone getting prosecuted for this?

Starcross on
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I have noticed that Canadian people sound alike, and not even in the stereotypical "eh" way.

I've noticed this too. It's pretty easy to pick out a general area of origin with someone from the states. But fellow Canadians? Newfies can get pretty bad, and sometimes people in the other maritime provinces have a specific accent, and obviously French people where English is their second language usually have an accent, but other than that? I can't tell where someone is from.

Asiina on
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Tarantio wrote: »
    Accents aren't really universal, though. I've lived in New Jersey all my life, and on several occasions I've had people ask me what country I'm from, because I don't talk like a local.

I'm not really sure what to make of it.

Have you been to college (where you could have picked something up) or have really bad (Bush level) grammar?

Also, on that 21 accents thing, is it wrong that I wanted to punch her before I even identified her Toronto accent?

I'm still in college, a NJ state school. My grammar is fine, I got a 770 on the SAT verbal.

My older brother thinks that it's because I read a lot more than I talked when I was a kid. I've also been singing in choirs and taking voice lessons for years, so I guess that could have had an effect on my pronunciation.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Starcross wrote: »

Have you got a link to a story about someone getting prosecuted for this?

Looks like I got the years wrong on the suits, but I managed to find the story and transcript.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    And sometimes an actress needs to be able to speak in a certain way from a certain place from a certain time.
    She seems to have enough of an understanding though that any competent coach can get her to where they need her.

Generally an actor/actress needs to use the accent to aid in establishing a character which has little to nothing to do with talking like how people from place x actually talk. Obviously there are limits to how disconnected from reality a stage accent can become but in general if you can't place it immediately it shouldn't be important.

Edit: Important to the portrayal. Little unclear there.
    I disagree (to a point). Sure, sometimes you just need someone to sound American, English, or French. But other times its really important to get not only location but social ranking correct. Peter Schaffer's Black Comedy is the best example I know of this, all of the characters are from different parts of Great Britain with not very different social backgrounds. One of the hardest parts for a speech coach would actually be making sure the accents don't all bleed into each other while on stage (its the teaching of an accent thats pretty easy, but keeping it?).

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    Cyd CycloneCyd Cyclone Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Asiina wrote: »

I've noticed this too. It's pretty easy to pick out a general area of origin with someone from the states. But fellow Canadians? Newfies can get pretty bad, and sometimes people in the other maritime provinces have a specific accent, and obviously French people where English is their second language usually have an accent, but other than that? I can't tell where someone is from.

Ask them to say Toronto and Calgary. You'll be able to figure out pretty quickly where they came from based on how they pronounce those two words. Then there's the local words, like bunny-hug. It's really fucking easy to pick up your place of origin in Canada because much of the slang doesn't cross provincial boundaries (barring places like Lloydminster).

Cyd Cyclone on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Does a bunny-hug deal with sex, or skiing?

Improvolone on
  • Options
    AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Does a bunny-hug deal with sex, or skiing?

Both. :winky:
    I actually don't know.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Its a Saskatchewan term for a hooded sweatshirt.

Yeah, I don't know why.

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    Cyd CycloneCyd Cyclone Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Its a Saskatchewan term for a hooded sweatshirt.

Yeah, I don't know why.

Bingo. They also sometimes call them Kangaroo jackets. That one makes a little more sense.

Cyd Cyclone on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i used to think idea was spelled with an r. "idear". and for the a time, I thought "all the time" was one word, "aldatime"

tyrannus on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    And sometimes an actress needs to be able to speak in a certain way from a certain place from a certain time.
    She seems to have enough of an understanding though that any competent coach can get her to where they need her.

Generally an actor/actress needs to use the accent to aid in establishing a character which has little to nothing to do with talking like how people from place x actually talk. Obviously there are limits to how disconnected from reality a stage accent can become but in general if you can't place it immediately it shouldn't be important.

Edit: Important to the portrayal. Little unclear there.
    I disagree (to a point). Sure, sometimes you just need someone to sound American, English, or French. But other times its really important to get not only location but social ranking correct. Peter Schaffer's Black Comedy is the best example I know of this, all of the characters are from different parts of Great Britain with not very different social backgrounds. One of the hardest parts for a speech coach would actually be making sure the accents don't all bleed into each other while on stage (its the teaching of an accent thats pretty easy, but keeping it?).

I knew I was being unclear. I think we're basically agreeing. I'm saying if you can't immediately place the accent of a character, the accent should not be important to the portrayal. In pursuit of this goal stage accents are often caricatures rather than accurate portrayals of what people actually talk like.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Groovy.

I used to think (for far too long a time) that SAP somehow stood for Spanish.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Groovy.

Well that's a logical mistake, since they always said "Transmito en SAP" or something to that effect. I don't know what it does stand for off the top of my head, but I always hear it read as "ese ah pey" when I watch Yankee games.
    Asiina wrote: »

I dunno, the few Canadian podcasts or interviews I've heard sort of remind me of each other. Watching CommandN with Amber MacArthur (PEI born, Toronto located currently) and then listening to an interview with Angela Melick of WastedTalent.ca (Vancouver) made me notice the similarities in cadence and tone. And BC and Ontario are far enough apart that their accents shouldn't bleed into each other like that.

What's the deal with "ou" anyway? Why is it that Canadians have a different way of saying it, depending on where they're from? There's actually a wiki page on it, but I don't think I understood it.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited April 2009
    Groovy.

Well that's a logical mistake, since they always said "Transmito en SAP" or something to that effect. I don't know what it does stand for off the top of my head, but I always hear it read as "ese ah pey" when I watch Yankee games.
    Second Audio Program

I wish telemundo had it.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Groovy.

Second Audio Program

I wish telemundo had it.

When they have that bizarro show where everyone is dressed as schoolchildren, I really want to know what's going on.

Doc on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Really Spanish stations not having subtitles is a travesty.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Beren39Beren39 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Tarantio wrote: »
    Accents aren't really universal, though. I've lived in New Jersey all my life, and on several occasions I've had people ask me what country I'm from, because I don't talk like a local.

I'm not really sure what to make of it.

Have you been to college (where you could have picked something up) or have really bad (Bush level) grammar?

Also, on that 21 accents thing, is it wrong that I wanted to punch her before I even identified her Toronto accent?

Not at all, I really hope I don't sound like that to non-locals, talk about pretentious.

Beren39 on
    Go, Go, EXCALIBUR! - Trent Varsity Swim Team 2009, better watch out for me Phelps!
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    WarrnWarrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Cervetus wrote: »
    re the earlier debate on the two big survial shows, I would like to just mention that Les Stroud ALSO sucks

ALso, I hate people that say "Mute point" and "for all intensive purposes"

But what if they actually mean that the point has changed, or that something is applicable for every purpose of small-scale agriculture?

I get the play on words you are making with intensive, but not with mute.

What definition of mute are you working with?

I realize this is a few pages back, but did Johnny maybe mean moot point?

Warrn on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Warrn wrote: »
    re the earlier debate on the two big survial shows, I would like to just mention that Les Stroud ALSO sucks

But what if they actually mean that the point has changed, or that something is applicable for every purpose of small-scale agriculture?

Look, man, it's mute point now.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You mean moo point? A point a cow would make?

/joeytribbiani

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Warrn wrote: »

Damn, I was just about to post the same thing, but figured I should get to the end of the thread first.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    japan wrote: »
    poshniallo wrote: »
    I read something by a linguistics professor who said that when she was in her home city (somewhere in Scotland I think) she could ride the bus and tell what bus stops people were going to get off at from their accent.

You can do this in Glasgow if you've lived there a while. It's quite often exaggerated by the fact that there's still a fairly strong divide between Catholic and Protestant communities, especially because their respective children will often attend different schools.
    I know Bostonians who can tell what town around Boston you're from or what street in town itself, but only if you're older than a certain age. TV screws it all up, so only a few towns (Revere for instance) as still reasonable distinct. Which is probably why Brits can imitate the the 'General American" US accent better than vice versa.
    Kagera wrote: »
    Hugh Laurie sounds like an American to me when he plays House.

I never feel right hearing his real voice.

Same with Jamie Bamber.

In conclusion, you're wrong because my opinion is right.
    limes.jpg
    Leitner wrote: »
    Brummie?

Birmingham. Frequently rated the least intelligent accent for people, like below silence.

I'd like to introduce you to the American South good sir.
    SC specifically here
    Alabama
    To be fair I sound like this sometimes

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Needs Quimby-trial "Chowdah!" vs "Shouderr!" clip.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    deowolf wrote: »
    Needs Quimby-trial "Chowdah!" vs "Shouderr!" clip.

Dude, Boston plays that shit up. I ate at a place called the "Chowdah!" shop, or something to that effect.

edit: There's also that whole thing about how people can tell you're out of town if you mispronounce a location, like "Worcester" in New England. Go on, try and pronounce it.

There's a good chance you said it wrong.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My first instinct it to pronounce it like the sauce with a similar name.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Back in second grade or so, I thought the Ewoks were the best part of Return of the Jedi. Fuzzy pals getting into mischief involving speeder bikes? Genius!

I think that counts as a misconception, right?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Don't people use 'moot point' to refer to something that isn't worth talking about or is a foregone conclusion?

it apparently actually means debatable or open to discussion

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Back in second grade or so, I thought the Ewoks were the best part of Return of the Jedi. Fuzzy pals getting into mischief involving speeder bikes? Genius!

I think that counts as a misconception, right?

Yes. I pity the children who will grow up liking Jar Jar Binks, but I'm not sure they exist.

Couscous on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Don't people use 'moot point' to refer to something that isn't worth talking about or is a foregone conclusion?

it apparently actually means debatable or open to discussion

uh

well not in the legal world

moot = no point in discussing because it's been decided already or is no longer an issue

i.e. if you brought a case against your employer for firing you for being gay, but after you filed it your employer hired you back to the position, and you brought the case to the court anyway, they would dismiss it because it would be moot

Medopine on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That's the first definition. The second is: "of little or no practical value or meaning; purely academic."

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Toronto Amy Walker reminds me of an owl.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411