Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Free Hosting Solutions

bone daddybone daddy Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
edited April 2005 in Ancient Forum Knowledge
Wherein people post their hosts--perks and drawbacks.

I personally use a pair of angelfire accounts. It's fairly straightforward and gives you 20 MB of storage for free, but there is a bandwidth cap. Since I only use it for my avatar and sig, it's never been a problem for me. People who need more mileage out of their host should probably steer clear.

*Angelfire has decided to go the way of disabling hotlinks and are no longer an advisable solution to your hosting needs.

bone daddy on
Rogue helicopter?
Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.

• ChunjeeChunjee Registered User
    edited January 2004
    I get a pretty good deal with a friend at school. $5 a moth for 500mb of space. hes looking for more "hosties" if anyone is interested.

• BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited January 2004
    I'm currently using http://www.free-host.com. 20mb hosting, unlimited bandwidth, the only thing wrong with it is it's slow as molasses to upload something. Possibly the slowest I've ever experienced. So I don't recommend it.

Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Vince...Vince... Registered User
    edited January 2004
    What about the old stand-by: tripod.lycos.co.uk?

ohsnapussmall.jpg Updated 6/18/2005 New Music
  • Food?Food? Registered User
    edited January 2004
  • TroopaTroopa Registered User
    edited January 2004
    I use Datapacket. I've been with them for over a year and so far the hosting has been overall very good in my opinion, especially for their ultra low prices.

http://www.datapacket.net

PowWeb.com is pretty cheap too, but it's hit or miss with them. Sometimes you get great service and other times you won't. At least that's what I've heard.

• ChunjeeChunjee Registered User
    edited January 2004
    blah blah blah www.uploadit.org blah blah.

• FunksubmarineFunksubmarine Registered User
    edited January 2004
    Go with www.1asphost.com

Really though, 100MB of FREE storage, and it's very straightforward.

• Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2004
    i'd rather not wang this site out too much...but i have a good host

just PM me for it

Steam name: munkus
    Pokemon X ID:
    Please give to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America: http://www.ccfa.org/
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
  • DR2SentinelDR2Sentinel Registered User regular
    edited January 2004
    http://mywebpage.netscape.com

Ups: Fast as all holy hell, unlimited bandwith, 20 megs of space, easy to use uploader and file manager, allows off-site linking, through netscape and basicly garunteed to not get wanged, no popups or anything of any kind.

Downs: 1 meg max size per file, 20 megs may not be enough for some people, does not appear to support FTP access.

In-Between: Set up with AIM screen name, i guess that would be a problem if you didnt have one. but then again they arent hard to register for so whatever

cherrysig.JPG
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited January 2004
    50megs.com

i like it its pretty easy uploads and download really fast. not sure what the limit is tho for monthly bandwidth on free accounts... its not to much tho i can tell you that prolly 15mb

• OrthancOrthanc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2004
    unfortunatly 1&1 is only availible to US and Canadians.

www.tripod.co.uk is the way to go for images. 50 Mb. Unlimited transfer, and you don't have to fuck around with renaming them to .txt to remote link

edited April 2004
    In order to avoid a shameless plug, I will just inform you all that I run my own webhosting biz. PM me if you want more info.

• erisian popeerisian pope Registered User
    edited April 2004
    www.photobucket.com

Simple interface, 100 megabytes of disk space per month, 2,500 megabytes of bandwidth per month. These limits can be raised if you choose to donate $, but they never hassle you for it (no popups or plugs or anything).

edited July 2004
    I'm having trouble uploading my files. I've looked as thorough as I could through the forum, and though I'm sure I missed it, I didn't see any topics concerning it, so I'm gonna post here. I've used a few different hosting websites, geocities and freewebs, and I've tried to link them up in post thingies plenty of times, but whenever i try it i get that stupid x in a white box. Can anybody help?

• bone daddybone daddy Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2004
    You need a host that lets you hotlink. Last I checked, geocities does not.

Rogue helicopter?
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
  • Teh-GuyTeh-Guy Registered User
    edited August 2004
    www.clubhost.us no longer requires that you post in their forums in order to get a hosting account. All you need is a "paid" email address (like one from your ISP)

But they don't allow hotlinking.

There's always http://www.sitesled.com/ who offers 100mb of space and 30gb of data transfer. They are somewhat slow, though. And they don't have a good control panel, but that doesn't really matter if you use their FTP.

Then there's www.pixelhosting.net. They don't directly offer a free hosting plan, only a trial. But, there's a forum that I check out a lot, and they offered this only about 2 weeks ago:

http://freewebspace.net/forums/showthread.php?t=57340

Basically, you write a review for them and if they like it, you get 250mb of space and 10gb of data transfer with cPanel and basically all the extras possible. I've got hosting at pixelhosting, and so far it's really good.

Lastly, there's http://dhost.info/ with 100mb of space and 300gb of bandwidth. I have no idea how good they are, and I know that they have only been around for a few months. All I know is there's instant activation on accounts.

If you need the hosting fast, there's sitesled.com and dhost.info. Otherwise, I'd give a shot at the Pixelhosting thing. Just be sure to ask the support over at PixelHosting if they are still doing the free hosting in trade of a review.

(If they accept the review, you keep the hosting for as long as you want.)

• darthmixdarthmix Registered User
    edited August 2004
    http://imageshack.us is the easiest hosting solution I know of. It's free, and you don't even have to sign up for an account; just upload from your hard drive to their front page, and you get a url. The catch is that the max size is 1025 kb and they only support jpeg, jpg, png, gif, and swf. But it's perfect for you folks who don't like to sign up for stuff and just want someplace to host your avatar.

• PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA
    edited September 2004
    This thread is being moved into G&T for an update to reflect changes in the Internet, and for more relevant information to be added.

Right now, there's a big interest in free hosts that support PHP. In a few days I'm going to move it to H/A, and then back to Accumulated Forum Knowledge.

Thanks Max for authorizing this.

IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • VisibleDuctsVisibleDucts Registered User
    edited September 2004
    Clawz has free php hosting with 50 mb storage and one gig bandwidth. I tried it out a couple months ago but didn't do anything with it becuase it puts a banner on your page.

Edit: Oh and http://www.oinko.net/freephp/ has a list of free php/mySQL hosting services.

• JishJish Registered User
    edited September 2004
    www.photobucket.com is a decent free image host that allows hotlinking and direct linking.

100 megs of storage
    2500 megs of bandwidth a month

Wierd sign up hours now though.
    Because of the overwhelming response for our free accounts,
    new users may register between 10am-2pm and 10pm-2am mst.

• MuhahahahahaMuhahahahaha Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    darthmix wrote:
    http://imageshack.us is the easiest hosting solution I know of. It's free, and you don't even have to sign up for an account; just upload from your hard drive to their front page, and you get a url. The catch is that the max size is 1025 kb and they only support jpeg, jpg, png, gif, and swf. But it's perfect for you folks who don't like to sign up for stuff and just want someplace to host your avatar.

I gotta reccomend this one also and further stress the "No signing up" part, because I simply and absolutely hate to sign up for anything or have to log in to upload a little picture really quick. It's excellent for hosting sigs, random images, etc. and I've never really been bothered by the 1025 kb limit.

• CheesechickCheesechick Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    Before I switched to paid hosting I used to use Topcities. I'd recommend them to most anyone.

The pros:
    150 MB of Space.
    Direct FTP.
    http://yournamehere.topcities.com is easy to remember, dammit.

The cons:
    Require a banner ad on your site.
    No image hot-linking. At least, I don't think so.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Max DamageMax Damage Registered User
    edited October 2004
    Moved to Accumulated Forum Knowledge

Because this if Forum Knowledge.

And you people have Accumulated it.

Or something.

CorrosiveWaffle.png
  • redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited October 2004
    Cox broadband subscribers, unless I'm just special, get 10 megs of free hosting with their account. It has a good amount of bandwidth, as I've used over 300 megs in two weeks in the past.

emot-kamina.gif BELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal Flo-ridaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2005
    I have a huge amount of free space as well that I done use... about 1.9GB of it, and 50GB of monthly bandwidth.

So if you need a chunky file hosted.... I got no problems.