As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Banjo-Kazooie: The Bear, the Bird and the Witch. (Banjo-Tooie out now!)

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm looking forward to Tooie.

I had the N64 cart but it was just way too big for my young mind to wrap its head around (Okay so I was 15, not quite that young)

Everything just was so goddamn big and took so long to get around I didn't very far into the game, I think I maybe made it to the third "world".

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Gilder wrote: »
    To be fair, they did shoot themselves in the foot by having the revival of B-K be a vehicle based game instead of platforming. I think Rare said something about how they didn't go platforming because they didn't think they could come up with something amazing to set it apart? Well who cares, it doesn't need to reinvent the wheel. Just give us awesome levels. It's not like the Jiggoseum was the most amazing level ever created.

I actually thought the Jiggoseum had the best challenges in the game. Nutty Acres is a close second though.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I wonder if Tooie is still going to feel as fucking gigantic as it did back in the day, or if my standards have changed now and it's actually gonna seem really small, like what happened with Kazooie.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I enjoyed replaying the original B-K, but I remember entering the first world and going "this is it?" I remembered it being much bigger.

I'm guessing Tooie's size will feel just right by modern standards.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Yeah, I enjoyed replaying the original B-K, but I remember entering the first world and going "this is it?" I remembered it being much bigger.

I'm guessing Tooie's size will feel just right by modern standards.

It's like the giant slide at your childhood playground.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I have a feeling I will still like B-K better than B-T. Even on replaying it on XBLA B-K's levels felt like just the right size to me.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RaughnRaughn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    With the clever writing, the beautiful worlds, and the excellent music, I wanted to like N&B, but I think it officially went onto the trade-in pile tonight. I can't get into the vehicle editor, and the game feels like it's going to be an annoying restart-fest without it.

I think Rare was right to try something new, though. As much as I love BK, I don't think a new platformer like that would have done much for me these days. I'd probably spend the whole game just wanting BK with current-gen graphics and sound.

I was planning to ignore the Tooie arcade release, but I may give it a chance. I can't remember how much of my negative experience was due to the N64 begging for death during the more ambitious parts.

Raughn on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's a shame you guys quit out on Tooie so early, because some of the best worlds were in late game. Hailfire Peaks and Cloud Cukooland come to mind.

Plus that's where Govi the camel says he's going to in Banjo-Kazooie, so nyah!

Godfather on
  • Options
    Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hailfire and Cloudcuckoo Land were pretty fucking awesome. Same with the dinosaur world.

Ramen Noodle on
  • Options
    PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    It's a shame you guys quit out on Tooie so early, because some of the best worlds were in late game. Hailfire Peaks and Cloud Cukooland come to mind.

Plus that's where Govi the camel says he's going to in Banjo-Kazooie, so nyah!

Luckily, we get another chance!

Pemulis on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The only real flaw I had with Tooie was Canary Mary in Cloud Cukooland for that fucking cheato page

Ugh

Broken beyond belief

And even though this isn't BK related, this boss right here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igyM4yyl__4

Gave me nightmares as a kid, and was fucking impossible.

I never beat it, and I had to get a buddy of mine to do it after many several unsuccessful attempts.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I can't believe I 100%'d that game.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    RaughnRaughn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    The only real flaw I had with Tooie was Canary Mary in Cloud Cukooland for that fucking cheato page

Was that the race that makes you alternate hitting A and B to accelerate, but she's moving absurdly fast? If so, you're right, that was ridiculous. I had to sit my N64 controller on a desk and use the ends of pens to hit the buttons.

I'm relieved to hear that it was for a cheato page, though. If I do pick up the arcade Tooie, I can pass on a cheato page much easier than I can pass on a jiggy.

I can't believe I 100%'d [Donkey Kong 64].

Me too, ugh.

Well, almost. I never found ten red bananas in the haunted castle level. And never will.

Raughn on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I almost feel like I'd enjoy Tooie more then Kazooie, after all those year (got lost half-way through in those huge gameworlds, like so many).

Back when I played B&K on my N64, I absolutely adored the game and thought Mario 64 was no match for it. Recently I've watched my brother playing the XBLA version, and I thought it really, really didn't hold up all that well (basically I agree on all points with the Eurogamer review). So instead of playing it myself, I just stayed away because I want to keep all the fond memories I had with the game. And Mario 64 is still great, yo.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    They must have some amazing programmers at rare. The were able to render huge environments even on the N64. I wonder if they made the graphics engines or bought them.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    They made them.

Rare could do things with consoles other developers couldn't. They were pulling off fur-shading and self-shadowing characters before anyone else was on Gamecube, especially after Microsoft touted them as Xbox-only features.

And then MS bought them :P

edit: and Tooie has some tech-demoy bits where Banjo has multiple shadows depending on nearby light sources.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I can't believe I 100%'d that game.

DK64 was my first N64 game.

I 101%'d it and loved it.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The thing that surprises me about BK is that there are fucking jiggies just lying around. Especially on that first level, but still throughout the game.

Hey, you climbed to the top of this hill? Have a jiggy? Followed up clankers tail (after releasing him and netting yourself a jiggy)? Have ANOTHER jiggy? I mean, hell, I think you get 3 jiggies just off Conga in the first level.

I really don't remember Tooie being anything close to that.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Tooie was more like Mario 64 regard.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Are XBLA titles delayed a week for silver members?

Pemulis on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Nope, only demos seem to get delayed for silver members.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I know some DLC does too, I'm glad XBLA doesn't.

Pemulis on
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I almost feel like I'd enjoy Tooie more then Kazooie, after all those year (got lost half-way through in those huge gameworlds, like so many).

Back when I played B&K on my N64, I absolutely adored the game and thought Mario 64 was no match for it. Recently I've watched my brother playing the XBLA version, and I thought it really, really didn't hold up all that well (basically I agree on all points with the Eurogamer review). So instead of playing it myself, I just stayed away because I want to keep all the fond memories I had with the game. And Mario 64 is still great, yo.

I disagree almost entirely with that review. Sure, the camera isn't perfect, and there are a few other problems that come with early 3D. But come on, he calls the visuals too 'garish' twice? No, they're only garish in comparison to all the brown that we've been getting lately. It uses a full colour palette for cartoony visuals. I'm not saying that the whole game has aged perfectly, but any review that doesn't mention the music at all is pretty bad. I think it's still some of the best videogame music I've ever heard, and that's definitely a point that should be addressed in any decent review.

That said, the levels feel so much smaller now, and I'm looking forward to Tooie, which I didn't really like before, because now I might be able to handle the size of its levels.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Oh hey, new trailer for Tooie we all missed
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/48269.html

And apparently each stop 'n swap egg has it's own unique reward (they don't all pool to unlock the bird bash like a poster on here thought.)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Man, I just got the other day, I'm not far in, but my dear lord this game is gorgeous!

and funny. My kinda humour.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Have the graphics always looked that good in Tooie, or did they tighten them up (on level 3, especially)?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I forgot how fucking massive Tooie was.

Seriously.

You guys are getting a steal at just $15.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Have the graphics always looked that good in Tooie, or did they tighten them up (on level 3, especially)?

Tooie was notorious for having an incredibly piss-poor framerate, so I imagine it looked nearly that good (if, you know, you remove the blending and HD and what-not)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I can't imagine how great it'll be to play without it being around 15 fps with occasional slowdown.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Stop and swap prizes revealed:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M64aXfe5D88
    Yellow Egg - Gamer Pic

Red Egg - Banjo Kazooie Theme

Green Egg - Homing Eggs

Blue Egg - Breegull Bash

Pink Egg - Jinjo Multiplayer

Cyan Egg - Stop 'N' Swop 2?

Spectral Swallow on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wow. I just watched that trailer. They really crammed much more into Tooie than I thought. It looks like they had some mini games there, animated puzzles, and a larger amount of bosses. I'll probably go ahead and get it for the HD upgrade.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I hope I'm not the only one who got that reference.

Ramen Noodle on
  • Options
    SaigaSaiga Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

:lol:

Haven't seen that in ages.

Saiga on
    28je138.png
  • Options
    El ExtremoEl Extremo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Saiga wrote: »

Oh. Hahahaha. I love that... movie...
    Game?
    Book?
    Music video?

El Extremo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SaigaSaiga Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    El Extremo wrote: »

Game?
    Book?
    Music video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG8nv9EFgy0

Saiga on
    28je138.png
  • Options
    El ExtremoEl Extremo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    El Extremo wrote: »

Game?
    Book?
    Music video?

*Awesome video*

Holy poop nuggets Batman! I remember that commercial!

El Extremo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    http://www.rarewitchproject.com/?id=1778

SPOILER details on how Stop n Swop with BTXBLA works. You need BKXBLA to get all of Tooie's secrets now. The carts are still there, but they have a new purpose..

And the N64 is still on the main menu, but it has Xbox games sitting behind it :lol:

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wooo :D Cannot wait.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I guess I'll have to go back through Banjo-Kazooie to find all those damn eggs.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's actually really easy, much more than trying to 100% it or those god damn jig saw puzzles.

Xtarath on