As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Typewriter

Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4toArlington, VARegistered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I was made the head of a political newsletter (soon to be blog) for a group in my college, and I was thinking that since I need to find a way to write more (without the distractions of forums and freecell), I figure I'd get a typewriter for first drafts of editorials or papers, and then use my computer for final drafts or putting it on the internet. However, I'm an initiate to the typewriting...clique, so I don't know what I should get. I'd like to get one of the older ones because I hear that the metal typeball of Remingtons last far longer than the plastic daisywheels.

Any suggestions?

And slightly more importantly, any suggestions for a site which sends supplies, because a typewriter is useless without an ink ribbon.

Ethan Smith on

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Odd idea to use a typewriter :-)

Any typewriter you'll get will last you a long time. There machines from an age where stuff was made to last not like now where anything is outdated in the blink of an eye.

I'd go for IBM, Olivetti or some other brand name. And I recommend getting one with an erase function - that is so much easier than the little bottle with white stuff.

No suggestions on a specific supply company but look for office supply stores - one of those that sell anything from paper clips to overhead pens.

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Before posting this thread (silly me) I made a bid on a (what I think is) a '36-'42 Remington Rand. It looks nice, and seems inexpensive, and honestly I doubt I'm going to be publishing the things I write from the Remington, I'd be writing it then typing it on my computer before I send it.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    Cyd CycloneCyd Cyclone Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    An important thing to check into when buying older typewriters is the availability of replacement ribbons. Replacement ribbons for the typewriter my parents had when I was a kid were no longer made, and my Grandpa had to make ink and soak the ribbon for the typewriter to be of any use.

Cyd Cyclone on
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I live near New York, and ironically it's become a lot easier to get ribbons than before (apparently)

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    Cyd CycloneCyd Cyclone Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    New York is pretty much the Mecca for old things from the '20s.

Cyd Cyclone on
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    When I was in grade school/middle school, my family didn't have a computer and any paper that needed to be typed was done on a typewriter.

My advice is don't get a typewriter. They are loathsome beasts. You will think of a great sentence and want to insert it in Paragraph 3 but OH YOU CAN'T because that was two paragraphs ago and it is indeliably printed on the paper now.

For the price of a new typewriter you can purchase an older laptop on eBay or Craigslist. (Read eBay listings VERY carefully if you go that route, though. But, hey, I got a functional one for $35 a few years ago.) As an added bonus, you won't have to retype everything, you can just save the final draft to a thumbdrive and transfer it.

If you do get a typewriter, avoid any of the older ones with typebars because the wretched things get "caught" on one another if you type with any sort of speed.

LadyM on
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I collect and restore typewriters as a side business. I also do what you're suggesting (though I write fiction) and draft out everything on my typewriter before typing it again for a second time on my computer. It forces me to do a second draft and edit twice.

Anyway, some of the best typewriters I've run across:

Hermes 3000 (the slick 50's styling)
    Royal KHM (this is a big office model and is incredibly heavy but it's also a pleasure to type on)
    Royal Quiet De Luxe.

The more recent Olivettis are alright, just not my bag.

I haven't been a big fan of the Remington line, but they're easy to fix if you have to.

Actually, that's what's great about typewriters. If you're at all mechanically inclined, have a set of small screwdrivers and a lot of patience, there isn't a lot you can't fix.

As far as ribbon goes, you just need 1/2" ribbon for the old models. You can get that at Staples or Officemax. After the advent of the IBM Selectric, ribbon became diversified from that standard and can be harder to find for a specific model.

edit: you do get style points if you're caught using an Oliver, Hammond or Blickensderfer.

Uncle Long on