As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Art of falconire

falconirefalconire Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Artist's Corner
I'm designing characters for an upcoming miniseries. This is a character called Spyder Trek. Critic away!

spydertreksm.jpg

falconire on

• Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I am more reminded of the art of mid-nineties Image Comics.

There is something seriously wrong with her legs. I cannot for the life of me figure out what her legs are even doing. The same thing goes for her arms. And her breasts are preposterously huge.

And oh god the inking is horrible.

Start all over, learn the basics of human anatomy and just start all over again.

EDIT: looking at the background I find my brain contorting into horrible and uncomfortable shapes trying to comprehend what the fuck is actually going on.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    The One Dark KnightThe One Dark Knight Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    It's not bad, it's just...

I really can't figure out what is going on. At all. The body is fairly clear, but a lot of it is very dark, and then all the random lines around her arms/legs and the background are breaking up the image too much to make it visually appealing.

Also, her boobs are like grapefruits. Really big grapefruits.

If you want to get critiques on the character design, it'd probably be better to post a pencil sketch or pinup shot of them - here I just can't see her clearly enough.

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    lilchingch0nglilchingch0ng Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Thats pretty badass, a cool pose and...what is that, a building in the background? i think its a building, am i right?

alright bro, here's the deal. Its not a bad drawing, but its got some issues, inking-wise and anatomy-wise. lets start with the inking. you went really fucking overboard on the metallic shine. So overboard that its stopped looking like metal and more like...well globs of ink.

now the wrappy things, you fucked up. the legs and arms are forshortened, poorly, and then you covered them up with apeshit toilet paper. But the thing is, you didn't even foreshorten the wraps. I mean i can see where you kinda tried. but the result looks like the paper is shifting in size rather than depth on the page.

the face...triangles for eyes, lines for nose and...very strange mouth. try putting some more detail in your faces, unless its some kind of mask...in which case still put for detail in them. this looks like a bad anime style knock off.

now your character itself. generic as hell. EXCEPT for the wrappy shit. Thats actually kinda cool, imo anyway. But you seem to be having trouble pulling it off.

anyways, its a cool angle/pose, but you've got your areas you need to work on to really make it work. also, for a character concept, you dont want too much dynamic foreshortening, cuz you need to know what your character actually looks like. Dont need a boring head on static pose, but you know, something that shows off more of the character and not just a cool pose. peace out.

lilchingch0ng on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited December 2006
    Did Rob Liefeld have a son that nobody knows about?

Grifter on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    It's not bad, it's just...

I really can't figure out what is going on. At all.

Wut?

Falconire, this inking is just really nasty. There's no line variation, it's really jagged, and there's nasty red stuff all over the place. The big ass white bar is distracting the viewer's eyes from the girl and the anatomy and perspective are wrong.

Tam on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I also have no idea what's going on.

I CAN tell you not to use those "triangle-pieces" for edging all your forms. That's typically only used to that extent when attempting to make something look metallic...and even THEN, it's not used in the way that you used it. It makes everything a billion times more confusing, especially on the [stomach?] area.

The breasts are huge. The stomach is non-existant. The hips are wrong. The legs make no sense...and unless she's the victim of a 12-gauge, you're going to need to get rid of that thing that looks like a gaping hole in her leg.

Also, what's with her arms/legs? Yeah, they're covered in....something....but what? The viewer has absolutely no idea. It looks like she had a horrible accident with masking tape. You also screwed up the forshortening everywhere.

You need to learn anatomy really bad. By which I mean, get a reference, because you need one. Don't draw this from your head, because it's clear you don't have much knowledge of the human form, and you need to absorb some material before you can hope to utilize it from memory.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, those breasts are all kinds of crazy. I don't think that the problem is that they are huge... rather that the rest of the body is REALLY tiny. Take her torso for example, is she wearing a corset?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    To answer some of the questions; I was going for a metalic look for her skin and wanted her to appear somewhat strange to look at... Also the reason for the nose. I can see what you guys mean with the inking and that's something I'm going to change with my newer work. With the 'tape' as people are calling it, when I created the character I wanted her to have this wierd webish/shrapnel stuff that she uses to get around, sort of like spiderman's webs but crazy looking, thus the image.

falconire on
  • Options
    AntibodiesAntibodies Used to live in a psychic city. Never knew what would happen in a day. Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Reminds me a bit of Painkiller Jane. Kind of a cool idea but poorly executed. What I think a lot of neophyte artists fail to understand is that by directly copying other artists, all they manage to do is copy all the failings and flaws of that art.

Rather than develop their own style from the stable grounding of reality and transforming it in a unique way all their own, their style becomes nothing more than a hideous mockery of someone who likely at least put in the years of training to acquire those flaws and make them part of their own style, where its likely at least passable or functional. Liefeld aside.

Before moving onto dynamic posing Trinity's flying out of skyscrapers, maybe draw a few pictures of a guy standing or sitting so you know how stomach muscles actually contract or the perspective on a forward cast knee. When you've done a few thousand reasonable gestures, get back to me and I'll let you know how to move onto the exaggerated perspective of Kirby, Lee and if you prefer, Liefeld himself.

Antibodies on
    XBL: thetinwoodsman
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So, basically a Spiderman rip-off that's poorly done in pretty much all aspects.

Congratulations.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    So, basically a Spiderman rip-off that's poorly done in pretty much all aspects.

Congratulations.

Not really. The character has nothing to do with spider-man, other than the shrapnel/webbing effect.

falconire on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Ok, I drew up this piece yesterday. It's somewhat of a cover for a comic with two of my characters fighting in mid air. I drew it half for fun and half just to play around with improvements but I would like some advice from experianced inkers on how to do better crosshatching and overall when to shade and when not to.

valkyrievsspartan.jpg

falconire on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I have no idea what's going on there.

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    You really need to stop drawing and start reading Grey's Anatomy or some shit, because it seems as though your grasp on proportion and basic human anatomy is getting worse, exponentially, every minute.

Cut out the crappy, crappy drawings and start practicing drawing real people until you know what goes where and how long and thick it should be. Seriously, you haven't listened to a god damned thing any of us said.

Do not start with the inking until you can actually draw something.

Also, completely separate from everything else, your character designs are horribly bland and uninspired, as well as simply and utterly ridiculous in every way. They're very, very dumb.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    CyberMonkeytron3000CyberMonkeytron3000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    You really need to stop drawing and start watching Grey's Anatomy

Fixed

CyberMonkeytron3000 on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited December 2006
    So many questions...

questions.jpg

It took a while for me to even figure out where the second figure in the drawing was.

That's not good.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Ugh!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    DMAC wrote:

It took a while for me to even figure out where the second figure in the drawing was.

That's not good.

I couldnt see it till your butt comment. Not good at all.

Sublimus on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    DMAC wrote:
    So many questions...

detailed explanation

That's not good.

OH

Okay, now I see what's going on.

I think.

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    You really need to stop drawing and start reading Grey's Anatomy or some shit, because it seems as though your grasp on proportion and basic human anatomy is getting worse, exponentially, every minute.

Cut out the crappy, crappy drawings and start practicing drawing real people until you know what goes where and how long and thick it should be. Seriously, you haven't listened to a god damned thing any of us said.

Also, completely separate from everything else, your character designs are horribly bland and uninspired, as well as simply and utterly ridiculous in every way. They're very, very dumb.

Constructive criticism is one thing but being a jack ass in another, dude. I understand that you don't like it and I know it's not by far a perfect drawing or anything but bashing it without giving reason is nothing but infintile. Now as an artist if you can offer some suggestive changes then do so, but don't be an asshole since nobody takes advice from assholes.

falconire on
  • Options
    The_Indigo_ApocalypseThe_Indigo_Apocalypse Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    falconire wrote:

Constructive criticism is one thing but being a jack ass in another, dude. I understand that you don't like it and I know it's not by far a perfect drawing or anything but bashing it without giving reason is nothing but infintile. Now as an artist if you can offer some suggestive changes then do so, but don't be an asshole since nobody takes advice from assholes.

Man, he did give a reason as to why he didn't like what you were drawing. In fact he gave more than one.

Look, people told you before you posted this last drawing to go look up anatomy and have refrences for when you draw, etc. And with this last little showing, I think we can all pretty much assume that you didn't any of those things.

And if you did use refrences when you drew this latest picture, you really really REALLY messed it up pretty badly. I seriously can't tell what the hell is going on in this last one either--which also seems to be the general concensus around here.

Seriously though, stop trying to draw new characters and more action scenes and go work on a ton of studies adn the things other people suggested. Download the Loomis pdf from the questions/discussion thread and study it like crazy.

The_Indigo_Apocalypse on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    whether I choose to read grey's anatomy or not is my own business. I do appreciate the suggestion but that's not what I was talking about here. The problem I had here was having my work called 'shit' instead of someone saying what's wrong with it with examples. This is a critic forum and I'm looking for actual critic here and how to make it better, so I don't continue to make the same mistakes twice.

falconire on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2006
    You're biggest mistake would be "Choosing not to look at grey's anatomy" because its "Your own business." You'll continue to make the same mistakes as art is built on learning large skills and concepts like anatomy and composition before the nit picking helps at all. What you're asking for wont help you.

Iruka on
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Oh god I hate everyone in AC.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    falconire wrote:
    whether I choose to read grey's anatomy or not is my own business. I do appreciate the suggestion but that's not what I was talking about here. The problem I had here was having my work called 'shit' instead of someone saying what's wrong with it with examples. This is a critic forum and I'm looking for actual critic here and how to make it better, so I don't continue to make the same mistakes twice.

Then don't read it, but get your hands one SOMETHING THAT HAS TO DO WITH ANATOMY. Otherwise don't bother posting this kinda of stuff over and over, because after a while, all you're going to get are hostile reactions. Especially if people know your art is lacking simply because you are not motivated enough to put in the effort to learn something new.

It works wonders when you know what the skeletal structure of a bodie is, and how the muscles are filled in on top. Also how the body moves is a great thing to know. Proportions aren't a bad thing to learn eaither.

Spectre-X wrote this, and I can't say I disagree:

it seems as though your grasp on proportion and basic human anatomy is getting worse, exponentially, every minute.

He didn't just say your work was shit. He told you what you need to do in order to get better.

Just because you don't like how he said it doesn't make it any less true.

Also, you DID make the same mistake twice (if not even worse the second time around) after people here told you what you most need to work on. And at that, it doesn't even look like you ATTEMPTED to even TRY and fix what was wrong.

Now stop kavetching and go do some studies on anatomy. LOOMIS WOULD HELP YOU GREATLY.

The_Indigo_Apocalypse on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I mean it

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    But Phonehand... I... I <3 you so.

:(

The_Indigo_Apocalypse on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Mostly just Spex.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Spex is a jerk. He tried to kill my dog once.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Yay! Phonehand doesn't hate me!

:o

The_Indigo_Apocalypse on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I don't hate anyone but yeah, he needs to shut the hell up.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Iruka wrote:

How'd he try to do it? O.o

The_Indigo_Apocalypse on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Iruka wrote:

How'd he try to do it? O.o
    Punched it to korea if I remember correctly.

edit- no wait, it might have been teleportation eye beams.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    It was his gay eye beams.

I really wish he was up to defend himself, I'm bored but too excited to sleep, So i'm not really trying to derail the thread. Spex is being snarky, but honestly, I cant tell what the last image is, its bad heading to rob liefeld if he doesn't start trying to fix issues where the base fundamentals are.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Iruka wrote:

I really wish he was up to defend himself, I'm bored but too excited to sleep, So i'm not really trying to derail the thread. Spex is being snarky, but honestly, I cant tell what the last image is, its bad heading to rob liefeld if he doesn't start trying to fix issues where the base fundamentals are.

Ahhh, the eye beams. It gets 'em every time.

The_Indigo_Apocalypse on
  • Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    falconire wrote:

CRITIQUE

CRITIQUE

CRITIQUE

NOT "CRITIC"

CHRIST

ALSO, PEOPLE HAVE TOLD YOU WHAT IS WRONG. YOU'RE THE DUMBFUCK THAT ISNT' LISTENING.

Sami on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Who left the stupid-noob knob on?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Iruka wrote:

I am here! Your dog had it coming! He bit me!

And a little respect for my OMEGA BEAMS please.

And I am merely tired of people who come here for advice but don't even bother to take any of it, as though it were beneath them or some shit. That is fucking terrible, and I cannot stand it.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    pffft. Omega beams. Pfft

whatever. Hatari mauled you because you were being mean.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Iruka wrote:

I am here! Your dog had it coming! He bit me!

And a little respect for my OMEGA BEAMS please.

And I am merely tired of people who come here for advice but don't even bother to take any of it, as though it were beneath them or some shit. That is fucking terrible, and I cannot stand it.
    Well considering your very first post was complete dickery, you didn't really give him a chance to take any advice. You thought it would be a great idea to be the least civil person on earth.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
This discussion has been closed.