As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Outrun Online Arcade: Finally, a fun circuit racer!

NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Games and Technology
Apologies if I missed an already existing thread for this.

But is anyone else loving the hell out of Outrun on XBLA? Ever since Burnout decided to turn itself into a poor man's Midnight Club (sorry, just not a fan of open world racers), I've completely forgotten about the sheer joy of a good track racer. There is no greater feeling than throwing yourself into a perfectly timed drift through a u-turn, and giddily laughing as you pass traffic. Crazily outlandish track design... what more could you want?

Apparently the original xbox game has twice the number of tracks; I just added Coast to Coast to my gamefly queue. Seriously though, this is a damn FUN game.

NaturalNarcissist on

• Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Forza and so on simulate the physicality of driving a car.

Outrun simulates the feelings you get from driving a car.

But it is the drive of your dreams. Beautiful blue skies. a girl at your side, power sliding round corners whilst driving past shooting stars, pink blossom trees, grand canyons and beaches.

One of the best games ever made. Easily.

Lave II on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What I could want is for this to hit PSN soon. It already has in Euro-land, hoping we'll get it next week.

I've never played an Outrun game, so yeah, looking forward to it.

EDIT: P.S. Since you're not a fan of open-world racing games anyway, it's unfair to call Burnout Paradise a poor man's Midnight Club, since it's way better and Midnight Club has gone to shit.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What I could want is for this to hit PSN soon. It already has in Euro-land, hoping we'll get it next week.

I do believe it is an EU exclusive for the PSN. America only gets the XBLA version.

Sorry.

Lave II on
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I dled the demo, but could not figure out how to drift, like I see in all the pictures. I want to drive sideways, dammit! How?

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    There was that Xbox outrun game but it became a big sonnavabitch and eventually became tired. The problem was they kept the timer in ONLINE games which essentially ruined it completely. Timers can go to hell. They piss me off so badly when you miss the time by a few seconds. But yea, if this game suffers from that it will be an instant failure and I will have to sadly not buy it.

Viscountalpha on
  • EtchEtch Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I dled the demo, but could not figure out how to drift, like I see in all the pictures. I want to drive sideways, dammit! How?

In the PSP one all you do is tap the brakes and then counter steer. Maybe hit the gas once you go into the drift, I don't remember the exact specifics.

Etch on
  • BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Etch wrote: »

In the PSP one all you do is tap the brakes and then counter steer. Maybe hit the gas once you go into the drift, I don't remember the exact specifics.

There's also an easier trick for MT, where you shift down a gear and steer to start the drift, shifting back up when you're drifting. You lose less speed that way, although obviously it makes it more complicated when you finally do crash on that hairpin/jutting-out-rock/central reservation.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I love the fact it still has the old music <3

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Bought this yesterday and played it tonight for a bit. It's really a lot of fun, even if it's not all that meaty content-wise. Still, for 800 points, it's a great buy. Playing online is a blast.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Okay, after multiple attempts at racing online, I have to say, you American PS3 owners can count yourselves lucky you don't have it, because 95% of the opponents WILL quit if you get so much as 5 seconds ahead. I've only been able to finish 2 out of about 12 races I've started - 1 was an extremely rare room where everyone finished, and the other was when I resorted to hosting a room myself. I've only seen one person quit for a legitimate reason; he got the bug that causes the junction to load incorrectly, leaving you stuck there for about 15-20 seconds. Other than that, the vast majority of opponents are bad losers.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I've had a blast with it so far-- I think one of my favorite things is how "SEGA" it feels-- oldschool Dreamcast SEGA (does that count as oldschool?), not the current version of the company. It's too bad it doesn't have more tracks, but I think it's safe to say one can get $10 worth of enjoyment out of it.

For drifting, I'm using Automatic transmission, and what I do is release the gas on a turn, tap the brakes, then hit the gas again while working the steering.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!