As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NFL] August: 3rd string football galore

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Goose! wrote: »
    Is it possible to draft in WE HEART DONGS on Thursday? Or at least 10PM Friday? I work till 9:30 and get home by 10 on Friday.

Goose! on
  • ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've been playing Franchise in Madden and it's a little wacky if you're importing folks from NCAA 10 - I had two players I specifically created, and played with, and they were the second coming in NCAA so to speak. now in madden, they're Meh, at best.

ANTVGM64 on
  • ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »
    I've been playing Franchise in Madden and it's a little wacky if you're importing folks from NCAA 10 - I had two players I specifically created, and played with, and they were the second coming in NCAA so to speak. now in madden, they're Meh, at best.
    You created Ryan Leaf and Reggie Bush?

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • s7apsters7apster Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Bear with me through the part of this post that has to do with celebrity relationships. Okay, Romo dumped Jessica Simpson, and now she's supposed to be involved with Colt Brennan. Whew.
    My life coach, Chris Cooley, said that I should neither confirm nor deny it.

God I wish Chris Cooley was my life coach. What should I have for breakfast? What should I do about hard water build-up around my bathroom faucet? How should I adjust my stock portfolio in these difficult economic times?

s7apster on
  • satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    bale

baaaaaaaale

renew our league you faggot

satansfingers on
  • ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is it true online franchise is a one shot deal with the code you get, then you have to pay for each subsequent franchise? I don't want to sign up for a random one, have it suck, then be out five bucks.

ANTVGM64 on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I definitely agree the Stallworth sentance was bullshit and I am not saying his being an accident absolves him of anything. He should have been prosecuted to full extent of the law and done a sentace that actually was within the statute.

Also, this wasn't one dog versus one man here. Vick's operation killed hundreds of dogs and I don't think its unreasonable to compare that to involuntary manslaughter.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Dogbone33 wrote: »
    So KC plays their first preseason game tonight, and i'd like to see how Cassel does. Unfotunately NFL Network has decided to air all the pre-season games tonight EXCEPT KC's. I really hope my guide is wrong.
    You know, Croyle could probably be a damn good QB if he could stay healthy for more than one game at a time. Cassel didn't look very good. 2 of 5 for 15 yards. Never got us past the 50 yard line. Was only in for 3 series though.

Bowe 5 receptions for 70 yards is good.

2 sacks by the defense is good. Tyson Jackson was in on one of them.

mcp on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    i am still baffled as to why tyler thigpen is the chief's 3rd string QB

there is no way, no fucking possible way that brodie croyle is better.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Dogbone33Dogbone33 I bleed Red and Gold! State of ConfusionRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    mcp wrote: »
    Dogbone33 wrote: »
    So KC plays their first preseason game tonight, and i'd like to see how Cassel does. Unfotunately NFL Network has decided to air all the pre-season games tonight EXCEPT KC's. I really hope my guide is wrong.
    You know, Croyle could probably be a damn good QB if he could stay healthy for more than one game at a time. Cassel didn't look very good. 2 of 5 for 15 yards. Never got us past the 50 yard line. Was only in for 3 series though.

Bowe 5 receptions for 70 yards is good.

2 sacks by the defense is good. Tyson Jackson was in on one of them.

I saw part of it this morning. I'm pretty much ok with the D. I'm just hoping they kept the offense REALLY vanilla since it was raining and 1st preseason game.

Dogbone33 on
    Play Diablo 3 RoS with me. PSN-Dogbone19

Play Fanduel. One Day Fantasy Leagues use my referral

Be my friend on Magic Online! Dogbone19 is me.
  • MarthMarth Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I only got to see the end of the Chiefs game, and it looked like they had canceled the rest of the game because of the rain. There was almost no one left in the stadium.

A fuck ton of our guys got hurt though, including Grossman. I hope we'll be able to see something from him this preseason (although it's not like we don't know how he plays).

Marth on
    Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Butters wrote: »
    I definitely agree the Stallworth sentance was bullshit and I am not saying his being an accident absolves him of anything. He should have been prosecuted to full extent of the law and done a sentace that actually was within the statute.

Also, this wasn't one dog versus one man here. Vick's operation killed hundreds of dogs and I don't think its unreasonable to compare that to involuntary manslaughter.

Maybe I'm the only person that feels this way, but Goodell comes across like a complete asshole in both cases. You can like Stallworth or Vick's sentence or not, but they were both arrived at through the criminal system acting appropriately. In Stallworth's case the family of the victim was even involved and presumably thought the sentence was appropriate. And then Goodell wants to swing his dick around for the sake of looking like the big moral man. He makes me more likely to stop watching games than anything vick or stallworth did.

also, I joined we <3 dongs when you were looking for people a while ago, but I can't make the draft I guess. I don't mind doing my rankings, but I could also drop out if there is a lot of demand

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I thik the main reason stallworth got off so lienent was the simple fact that he called 911 and stuck around trying to get the guy some help. He came out and told the truth about being drunk and or high and didn't hide the fact. I think it being his first major offense and the fact he gave the guys family millions and they seem to be happy about the deal also helped.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Shim. Would you agree that the best part of the Packers Browns game was Nick Barnetts glasses on the sidelines and Atari Bigby's new photo?

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Arch Guru XXArch Guru XX Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    s7apster wrote: »
    Bear with me through the part of this post that has to do with celebrity relationships. Okay, Romo dumped Jessica Simpson, and now she's supposed to be involved with Colt Brennan. Whew.
    My life coach, Chris Cooley, said that I should neither confirm nor deny it.

God I wish Chris Cooley was my life coach. What should I have for breakfast? What should I do about hard water build-up around my bathroom faucet? How should I adjust my stock portfolio in these difficult economic times?

Man, based on what I've seen from Chris Cooley's off-field antics I would love for him to be my life coach. Hot wife, a menagerie of dogs (they even have an elevator so the big one - a great dane I think, but I'm not sure - doesn't have to use the stairs), occasionally posts pictures of his dong online - dude knows how to live.

He does ridiculous things purely for the joy of being ridiculous (last year's ultra-short training camp shorts are an example of this). I feel like he's got things pretty well figured out.

Arch Guru XX on
    Should have been a rock star.
    edited August 2009
    He also did those double-joke style unfunny but funny videos making fun of Romo and Witten. They were pretty great.

s7apster on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    the best chris cooley video was him doing a fantasy draft with a bunch of redskins at his house.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Shim. Would you agree that the best part of the Packers Browns game was Nick Barnetts glasses on the sidelines and Atari Bigby's new photo?

what.

show me these photos.

Jasconius on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well I am failing to find a pic of Atari, but here's the glasses. http://www.twitvid.com/26379

Basically, Atari still has the dreads, and it's all business as usual. Then they pop up the "Let's meet the Packers Defense" pictures and the dreads are up in a side ponytail. Like a rasta Robin Sparkles.

Ah.

BIG264860.jpg

Fantastic.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    man I wish he was around when McKenzie was there too.

Dread team 09.

Jasconius on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Draeven wrote: »
    I thik the main reason stallworth got off so lienent was the simple fact that he called 911 and stuck around trying to get the guy some help. He came out and told the truth about being drunk and or high and didn't hide the fact. I think it being his first major offense and the fact he gave the guys family millions and they seem to be happy about the deal also helped.

As I understand it this was not his first drunk driving offense and the millions he gave were all covered by insurances. Also, a much more cordial thing for him to do would have to apply the brakes instead of just flashing his lights at the guy before running him over. Then he might have gotten away without having to stay behind and call 911.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    edited August 2009
    I'd say Barnett's Clark Kent glasses.

And

Don't act surprised.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/17/favre-still-in-play-for-the-vikings/
    Posted by Mike Florio on August 17, 2009 8:53 AM ET
    Though we've yet to find a link to the story on FOXSports.com, which is starting to look even more cluttered and confused than Disney's Alphabet Junkyard ride, Jay Glazer of FOX firmly believes that quarterback Brett Favre will resurface at some point with the Vikings.

Glazer isn't reporting the move, yet. But the guy is sufficiently connected to cause us to believe that his conclusion is based on facts and circumstances picked up while talking to his many sources, not supposition and conjecture that came to him at the bingo tables.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
    edited August 2009
    More on it
    "After visiting the Vikings for two days, I am convinced -- positively convinced -- that Brett Favre will soon have talks with the Vikings to return to the team and could be joining them for this season after all," Glazer writes. "If my instincts are correct, all those purple Favre jerseys will have a home on Minnesota store shelves."

Glazer also says that "damn near everybody" at Vikings camp agrees with this assessment. (Glazer caps that sentiment with an exclamation point. However, when that form of punctuation is associated with Glazer's name at any point going forward, our first thought will be of Glazer inviting a gaggle of blue hairs to "eat it!")

Though Glazer is careful to point out that it's not hard news, it's the most confident form of educated speculation we've ever encountered.

"During my two days in Mankato, nearly everyone I talked to within the team talked about Favre joining not as an 'if' but rather a 'when,'" Glazer writes.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »
    Though the guy he hit WAS running across a high speed highway.

Being stupid is unfortunately not against the law.

Hunter on
    edited August 2009
    Here's some info on how Eagles fans feel about the Vick signing.

I really thought it would be more favourable than that.

s7apster on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2009
    I haven't met a single person who is against the signing.

Internet polls are very unreliable.

Unknown User on
    edited August 2009
    Cloudman wrote: »
    i am still baffled as to why tyler thigpen is the chief's 3rd string QB

there is no way, no fucking possible way that brodie croyle is better.
    The knock on Croyle isn't ability, it's that he can't stay healthy. He's pretty accurate, and throws a really pretty deep ball.

Thigpen can run, but he can't hit the broad side of a barn and his passes tend to look like Brian Griese's. Gonzo made him look a lot better than he is. He's terrible in the 4th quarter too. Last season he had a sub 50% completion rate in the 4th. The whole team was ass in the 4th, but with a decent QB that didn't need a gimmick offense, we probably could have pulled out a few more wins.

There's no doubt that Croyle has more skills than Thiggy, he's just made of glass.

mcp on
    edited August 2009
    The Kansas City Chiefs have signed free agent wide receiver Ashley Lelie.

The Chiefs on Monday said they signed the seven-year veteran, who has caught 217 passes for 3,749 yards and 15 touchdowns over 107 games.

A first-round draft pick from Hawaii, he has played for Denver, Atlanta, San Francisco and, most recently, Oakland.

Kansas City also waived wide receiver Jeff Webb, who played 31 games in three seasons with the Chiefs, catching 36 passes for 382 yards and a touchdown.
    Pretty happy with this all around.

Lelie gives up some more depth, and speed. Jefff Webb is terrible.

Not that Lelie is fantastic or anything, but it's an upgrade.

mcp on
    edited August 2009
    PFT wrote:
    Per the Associated Press, NFLPA Executive Director De Smith told reporters in Indianapolis on Monday that he's convinced that owners will lock out the players after the current Collective Bargaining Agreement expires following the 2010 season.

I hope that's him trying to induce negotiations, and not his real opinion. If it is, he should keep it to himself in the future. I've got enough stress without having to worry about going a year without such an important part of my life. Fuck.

s7apster on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    hey there's always the UFL

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • MarthMarth Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    And the Arena Lea... shit

Marth on
    Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    UFL is pretty much hoping that this hapens and there is a lockout by the NFl, so they can scoop up all the players and then say FU to the NFL. Thats the whole reason the UFL hopes to survive tell 2011.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

edited August 2009
    They might make some money for a year but their four teams or whatever ain't gonna steal any fans. The whole league, the NFL that is, will be better after what would come out of a lock out (NHL style), but shit I don't want it to happen so bad.

s7apster on
    edited August 2009
    Oakland Raiders head coach Tom Cable punched one of his assistants on Aug. 5 at the team's training camp headquarters in Napa, Calif., several media outlets reported on Monday.

The Web site National Football Post first reported that defensive assistant Randy Hanson was punched in the jaw by another member of the Raiders staff. Unidentified sources later told Fanhouse.com that Cable hit the third-year assistant.

Hanson reportedly did not want to pursue the matter, but staff at Queen of the Valley Hospital alerted authorities, according to Fanhouse.com.

"The victim didn't even want any police action taken," Napa Police Lt. Brian McGovern told the Web site, "but we were following hospital policy that authorities be contacted in cases where there may have been an assault."

Hanson suffered a fractured jaw. McGovern said, according to the Web site, that the Napa Police consider the matter closed "unless we are re-contacted by the victim, and the victim changes their mind that they want us to follow through and pursue an investigation. At this point we're not doing anything else with it."

McGovern said the police report has not been made public over privacy concerns.

Cable had a regularly scheduled meeting with the media scheduled for 8:30 p.m. ET on Monday.
    and Oakland continues to be an embarrassment.

mcp on
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It's not too embarrassing if you are impressed by the fact that an nfl head coach didn't pull no punches and flat out broke a man's jaw. That puts Woody Hayes' pussy ass fist into perspective.

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    bale

baaaaaaaale

renew our league you faggot

seriously bale, you lazy fuck, press the button and restart the league

<3

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
    edited August 2009
    cable should have just punched jamarcus russell so that garcia can play

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    mcp wrote: »
    Oakland Raiders head coach Tom Cable punched one of his assistants on Aug. 5 at the team's training camp headquarters in Napa, Calif., several media outlets reported on Monday.

The Web site National Football Post first reported that defensive assistant Randy Hanson was punched in the jaw by another member of the Raiders staff. Unidentified sources later told Fanhouse.com that Cable hit the third-year assistant.

Hanson reportedly did not want to pursue the matter, but staff at Queen of the Valley Hospital alerted authorities, according to Fanhouse.com.

"The victim didn't even want any police action taken," Napa Police Lt. Brian McGovern told the Web site, "but we were following hospital policy that authorities be contacted in cases where there may have been an assault."

Hanson suffered a fractured jaw. McGovern said, according to the Web site, that the Napa Police consider the matter closed "unless we are re-contacted by the victim, and the victim changes their mind that they want us to follow through and pursue an investigation. At this point we're not doing anything else with it."

McGovern said the police report has not been made public over privacy concerns.

Cable had a regularly scheduled meeting with the media scheduled for 8:30 p.m. ET on Monday.
    and Oakland continues to be an embarrassment.

the funniest part is how the majority of Oakland fans I've talked to are just stoked that they have a coach man enough to do such a thing

the wook on
    edited August 2009
    the wook wrote: »
    the funniest part is how the majority of Oakland fans I've talked to are just stoked that they have a coach man enough to do such a thing
    Same.

While I like having a coach that won't take shit from people, I'd rather he have enough self control that he wouldn't strike someone.

Cable is denying the reports now, and saying that's it's an internal matter they will not discuss.

mcp on
This discussion has been closed.