As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Orange Box 10 bucks

xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Games and Technology
I just got in on this because I happened to see it when I went to mess around with my steam profile, but there is now officially no reason to not buy this. 10 bucks, 5 games, can't go wrong. I don't expect this to be an epic thread or anything, I'm just trying to let you guys know that the Orange Box is now only 10 dollars.

It says weekend special, so try and get in on the action before the sale is over seeing as how today is Sunday.

shark2.jpg
XBL - Follow Freeman
xWonderboyx on

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Portal is definitely worth $10.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, it's been discussed in the Steam thread already, but then again there's supposed to be a ban on megathreads so maybe you're more in the right than they are here.

Great, awesome deal.

Darlan on
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Darlan wrote: »
    Yeah, it's been discussed in the Steam thread already, but then again there's supposed to be a ban on megathreads so maybe you're more in the right than they are here.

Great, awesome deal.

Yeah, the people that need to buy the orange box already aren't checking on the steam thread, so I am doing a public service!

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Awesome. None of the local stores around here have it for some reason, been meaning to order it. Glad I waited.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Finally, got this... now if only my Gnome run from the time I rented the 360 version crossed over... oh well...

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Picked mine up yesterday

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Great, awesome deal.

Yeah, the people that need to buy the orange box already aren't checking on the steam thread, so I am doing a public service!

This is true.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I already owned HL2 and Portal, but 9.99 was a great deal even for the rest of the games so I scooped it up. Steam was nice enough to recognize that I already owned HL2 and is allowing me to give the extra copy away as a gift. Too bad they don't let me do that with Portal. I've been trying to get my coworkers to play that game ever since I played it. They love puzzles, but aren't really gamers so it would be a perfect way to suck them in

VoodooV on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Steam tends to have a huge bargain every weekend.

You're doing yourself a disservice if you don't load steam up on the weekend, see if there's a good deal on something you want.

xzzy on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I noticed it earlier when I fired up Steam; bought'd, so hard.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    TrikoTriko Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    xzzy wrote: »
    Steam tends to have a huge bargain every weekend.

You're doing yourself a disservice if you don't load steam up on the weekend, see if there's a good deal on something you want.

Who hasn't played Half-Life 2 by now? :P

Seriously, a jaw-dropping bargain for $10. Half-Life 2 and ep 1 & 2, should keep a new player busy for a good 40 hours or so of solid gameplay.

Triko on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'd totally be getting this if I hadn't already played Portal on my roommate's computer, determined that I like UT2004 more than TF2, and gotten HL2 & EP1 from people who had extras.

Frem on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Frem wrote: »
    I'd totally be getting this if I hadn't already played Portal on my roommate's computer, determined that I like UT2004 more than TF2, and gotten HL2 & EP1 from people who had extras.

Even accepting everything you've said there, it's STILL worth it just for Episode 2. You can also Gift HL2 and Ep1 to a friend later.

subedii on
  • Options
    TechRatTechRat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    When Circuit City was going out of business I snagged The Orange Box for $15. I felt like a tiny god.

Now Steam has to go and do this, making my amazing acquisition mean nothing.

<shakes fist> STEEEEEEEEEAAAAMMMM!!!!!:x

TechRat on
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My first steam game.
    9.99 is too hard not to bite :(

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    All ready bought.

'Cept I have capped internet so I gotta wait until next month to download the damned thing. I got a mate of mine with a credit card\some cash in his paypal to pay for me.

When a mate's willing to buy you the orange box at such insanely low prices, you know he's a keeper. :P

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Pretty clever, too: making it so that pretty much everyone has a reason to try the Orange Box will probably make a lot more day 1, full price HL2:III and Portal 2 sales.

We better get some Episode 3 info at E3, or else, uh, or else I'll...damn. I'm getting it day 1 even if the subtitle is "Man, Fuck You Darlan."

Darlan on
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I bought this and immediately felt like I committed a crime.

Am I a bad person for buying so many great games for such a pittance? Is this a crime?

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    TrikoTriko Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Pretty clever, too: making it so that pretty much everyone has a reason to try the Orange Box will probably make a lot more day 1, full price HL2:III and Portal 2 sales.

Yeah, I'm expecting them to announce HL2:Ep 3 anytime now, and they're cutting the price of OBox down to $10 as a marketing device.

Triko on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It's all ready sold me. So, clearly it's working. :P

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Not just that, it expands Steam's userbase. Valve are putting their flagship title, heck their three flagship titles plus two expansion packs for $10. I could easily see a significant percentage increase in the number of Steam accounts after this weekend.

subedii on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I can not stress how important this event is.

(very)

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Nice. Just bought it for my brother, as a 2 month early birthday present. Think I'll buy it for myself now.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Nice. Just bought it for my brother, as a 2 month early birthday present. Think I'll buy it for myself now.

I've given up buying Steam presents for siblings. I bought a whole heap of games like World of Goo, Audiosurf, Rome: Total War etc for my old brother for his birthday, but to this day (some 2 months later) hasn't gotten around to making a free account to download the games.

And hes a PC gamer

Annoys the shit out of me :x Such a waste!

I gifted TOB to a work mate this morning though, he didn't even know such a download service existed! He now owes me 8-)

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I bought this and immediately felt like I committed a crime.

Am I a bad person for buying so many great games for such a pittance? Is this a crime?

Even at full price it's a steal. So you're good.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Bought the OB for $30 about a month ago. Just beat HL2 for the first time, started HL2: E1 yesterday. These games are amazing, definitely worth $30. $10 is a freaking steal. Anyone who doesn't own this game now has no excuse. None, zero, zilch.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Honestly I thought Portal was worth $60 alone, short as it was.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I felt it was pretty mediocre as a puzzle game, what made it stand out was the voice acting and the story.

As such, I felt it was appropriately priced as a feature of OB.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Eh, opinions. It was honestly the only part of The Orange Box I really dug.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    FUCK YOU STEAM

God fucking dammit. I forget every time. My credit card's billing address is in the US, since I'm only up here for Uni. So obviously, it's impossible for me to purchase anything from a computer with a Canadian IP! Yay! Obviously! Fucking hell.

I hate this so much, I don't know if I'm going to bother doing the whole remote logging into a friends computer deal that I did the last time I bought something on Steam.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    FUCK YOU STEAM

God fucking dammit. I forget every time. My credit card's billing address is in the US, since I'm only up here for Uni. So obviously, it's impossible for me to purchase anything from a computer with a Canadian IP! Yay! Obviously! Fucking hell.

I hate this so much, I don't know if I'm going to bother doing the whole remote logging into a friends computer deal that I did the last time I bought something on Steam.
    You're lifelines are:

Phone a friend
    50\50
    Ask the audience

To reiterate that point,
    Phone a friend
    50\50
    Ask the audience

One more time, just because the viewers are bored,
    Phone a friend
    50\50
    Ask the audience

CHOOSE WISELY.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'd say Phone your Family would be better.

Better start getting more Orange Box TF2 newcomers to crunch on

McAllen on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    A friend of mine bought myself and a few others the OB, just because.

We still played L4D tonight, but now the rest of us have no excuse to not jump on TF2 whenever he wants.

Well played, friend. Well played.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I just took advantage of this myself...great deal.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Huh. Well, I already owned HL2 and Portal. Bought the Orange Box just now.

Got a free copy of HL2 to give away. But no free copy of Portal.

Just a warning. Valve's ripping you off.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Holy fucking shit. You are fucking spoiled if you think HL2, HL2 Ep 1, HL2 Ep 2 and TF2 all together are not worth $10.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Holy fucking shit. You are fucking spoiled if you think HL2, HL2 Ep 1, HL2 Ep 2 and TF2 all together are not worth $10.

Uh... dude... that was kinda tongue in cheek? Just a little? Seeing as how it's a 10 dollar purchase...

Even though technically, what I said was completely accurate. If you own HL2 and Portal, and buy the Orange Box, you should get an extra copy of HL2 and Portal to give away. Not having an extra copy of Portal is a loss in value.

But yea... gotta watch out for that tongue in my cheek.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    xzzy wrote: »
    I felt it was pretty mediocre as a puzzle game, what made it stand out was the voice acting and the story.

As such, I felt it was appropriately priced as a feature of OB.

It felt kind of like an excellent tutorial for a game that didn't actually exist.

And then I downloaded the Flash Version mod, and the game existed.

jothki on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    TeeMan wrote: »

I've given up buying Steam presents for siblings. I bought a whole heap of games like World of Goo, Audiosurf, Rome: Total War etc for my old brother for his birthday, but to this day (some 2 months later) hasn't gotten around to making a free account to download the games.

And hes a PC gamer

Annoys the shit out of me :x Such a waste!

I gifted TOB to a work mate this morning though, he didn't even know such a download service existed! He now owes me 8-)

o_O He's a PC gamer and he doesn't even have Steam installed? Wow. I don't play my PC nearly as much as I'd like to but I've still had Steam installed since the couple of days I bought it. At this point it's as necessary an application as VLC, Firefox or iTunes to me.

Delta Assault: Am I reading what you said wrong? You do get extra copies of games you already own, which you can give away as gifts to other people.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Delta Assault: Am I reading what you said wrong? You do get extra copies of games you already own, which you can give away as gifts to other people.

Yes, that is what is *supposed* to happen. You are supposed to get extra copies of games you already own, which you can give away as gifts to other people.

However, I did not get an extra copy of Portal, even though I already owned it. So it's not quite working as intended.

Delta Assault on