As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Somehow I always knew pigs would kill us all.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i actually have a little cough and a scratchy throat too.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    yeah me too
    but it's probably the seasonal flu i get every springtime, or allergies
    i don't think i'm going to die of swine flu.

beavotron on
  • Options
    Dangerou-DaveDangerou-Dave __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    beavotron wrote: »
    man the media is totally just fear mongering to the max now
    http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/090429/world/international_us_flu

a baby has died of the flu
    which is tragic
    but it does not make this a deadly worldwide pandemic
    it just means a baby has died of the flu

It seems to me they're simply reporting the first death from the swine flu outside of Mexico. News is news, even if it's bad news.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    yeah I have the same allergy reaction I always get

which is I get a massive cold that makes me cold and weak all day

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Rarely do you hear about the thousands of babies who die from influenza each year, it just happens, like sudden infant death syndrome, or any of the other things that kill off babies.

i'm not saying it's not a complete tragedy, and i feel for the baby's family
    but it has no relevance to swine flu as a pandemic that will kill off the thousands that spanish flu did and they should have mentioned that in the report. I guess I shouldn't say it's not relevant, because the baby DID in fact die from the flu, and if it was confirmed as swine flu, then yeah, he died of a strain of the flu
    but a lot of people are ignorant about this sort of thing, they only know what they read on cnn and the likes, which is rarely (if ever) the full story.
    they see every death as "omg the world is ending, i'm going to die of swine flu'
    when that is not necessarily the case yet, so far as they have said, all cases outside of mexico are mild cases, a baby dying does not change that, it is still a mild case, they are making it seem like it's become something more.

beavotron on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009

swine flu is not the same as the types of flu we're used to
    it's not the flu that kills you
    it makes your immune system basically go haywire (cytokine storm), it's your own immune system that does you in.

which is why they say that the age group most affected is 20-40, healthy people with typically strong immune systems

which is tragic
    babies die all the time from the flu
    over 36000 people die from the flu in the US each year, mostly the very young, the very old or the otherwise immuno-compromised.

stop being ridiculous, news!
    but they're not being ridiculous

they're simply stating the fact that this kid died from the swine flu
    I don't see anything alarmist in that article
    so as I said before, it's really not the news (for the most part, aside from tabloids and other less reputable news sources) that are blowing this out of proportion

also, the cytokine storm is only a possible explanation for the the normally healthy age group that seems to be overly represented among the deaths so far

as I said earlier in response to someone else, I can guarantee you that if the WHO didn't say anything then people would be up in arms about why they weren't warned because a few dozen people died from a flu strain they'd never heard of before
    so they're pretty much damned if they warn us, and damned if they don't because there will always be people who over and underreact to a warning, and if a warning isn't issued there will always be people blaming those who knew and didn't issue a warning
    the real problem here isn't the WHO or the news media, it's human psychology

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    misbehavinmisbehavin Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Amidst all of this good news about the swine flu...I think I found a guy who is going to kill somebody. I mean, he exhibits just about every sign of psychopathy, ever.

http://www.michael-crook.com/video_rape/

He is completely out of touch with human emotions, or reality for that matter. He is an extreme narcissist (see his About page, all three fucking pages). I mean, he literally is just crazy.

I want this man to eat a carrot.

I don't know what that means.

misbehavin on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Granted I'm biased toward my own profession, but. . .they would be crazy not to run this story. I see what you're saying. However, they're simply reporting the news.
    "A baby in Texas has died of the H1N1 flu strain, the first confirmed death outside Mexico from the virus, which health officials fear could cause a pandemic as it spread to two more countries.

Nearly a week after the threat emerged in Mexico, where up to 159 people have died, U.S. officials said on Wednesday a 23-month-old child died from the virus in the state that borders Mexico.

They gave no other details on the first death in a country with 65 confirmed cases of swine flu, most of them mild."

There's nothing too crazy or fear-mongering about that.

All of the stuff that follows is just the tail end of an inverted pyramid-style story...which is to say, a lot of info that gives editors leeway in deciding where to chop an AP story off, for print.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    misbehavin wrote: »
    Amidst all of this good news about the swine flu...I think I found a guy who is going to kill somebody. I mean, he exhibits just about every sign of psychopathy, ever.

http://www.michael-crook.com/video_rape/

He is completely out of touch with human emotions, or reality for that matter. He is an extreme narcissist (see his About page, all three fucking pages). I mean, he literally is just crazy.

I want this man to eat a carrot.

I don't know what that means.

He really is a psychopath. He's a real-life Dexter, exhibiting just about every symptom.

Considerable superficial charm and average or above average intelligence

Absence of delusions and other signs of irrational thinking

Absence of anxiety or other "neurotic" symptoms considerable poise, calmness, and verbal facility.

Unreliability, disregard for obligations no sense of responsibility, in matters of little and great importance.

Untruthfulness and insincerity

Antisocial behavior which is inadequately motivated and poorly planned, seeming to stem from an inexplicable impulsiveness.

Inadequately motivated antisocial behavior

Poor judgment and failure to learn from experience

Pathological egocentricity. Total self-centeredness incapacity for real love and attachment.

General poverty ot deep and lasting emotions.

Lack of any true insight, inability to see oneself as others do.

Ingratitude for any special considerations, kindness, and trust.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    He wants people to argue with him.

Seriously on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    the guy doesn't even have superficial charm

I didn't know anything about him when I started watching the video and I wanted to punch him almost immediately, without knowing his stance on rape

so no, comparing him to Dexter is pretty far off the mark

he is thoroughly unlikeable and irredeemable

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Cytokine Storm is an awesome name for a special move in a fighting game

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Seriously wrote: »
    He wants people to argue with him.

I considered the trolling aspect of it too, but I don't know. . .

http://www.michael-crook.com/about/3/

What actually first prompted me to bring this up was something he wrote regarding a lethal car accident. I'd link it, but it contains graphic images which probably wouldn't fly here.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Druhim wrote: »
    so no, comparing him to Dexter is pretty far off the mark

Duder, we're kind of splitting hairs here. I just meant he's a real-life crazy person.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Cytokine Storm is an awesome name for a special move in a fighting game
    you grab his hand, and hit him with it

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Run Run RunRun Run Run __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh boy, he got a video of him spitting on veteran graves. :|

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    He posted a story about a girl who was ripped to shreds in a car accident, after which photos of her nearly-decapitated corpse spread around the internet.
    "The family is upset because since Catsouras’ death, the photograph has been e-mailed to them. Their charmed life inside a “planned community”, filled with fancy cars has, it seems, been shattered by the girl’s death. . .Arrogant and entitled, the family went on a mission to silence free speech, demanding that websites take the photos down, despite having no legal grounds to do so. Apparently, this family believes in free speech until it doesn’t cut their way."
    The point isn't whether or not the photos should be allowed online...the point is he lacks any sort of emotions, apparently, that allow him to empathize with other human beings. I mean, he sees this is a first amendment issue? Jesus man, her parents aren't crusading against the 1st amendment--they're simply acting like human beings. That's something he can't comprehend.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I was also one of the first private citizens to file an indecency complaint with the FCC when broadcast television stations aired unedited obscenities uttered by citizens during the September 11, 2001 incident.

EDIT: That Catsouras girl, while silly, is a tragedy
    Didn't know about that one

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    pfft what's the big deal

you probably can't even recognize her in the picture

is it that one where the girl is like impaled by a car against a concrete pillar or something and theres blood everywhere and shit

its gross because of hair

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    god this dude is a big dumb faggot.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    The lady that plays Dexter's sister is fucking hot

Just sayin'

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Zephyr wrote: »
    pfft what's the big deal

is it that one where the girl is like impaled by a car against a concrete pillar or something and theres blood everywhere and shit

Ah man I'm desensitized and jaded just like the rest of the internet. I don't care about the specifics of the issue itself.

I just think it really demonstrates how detached he is from normal human emotion. I mean, he has absolutely no idea where the parents are coming from, but it should be obvious to any normal person. I mean, I'm sure I'd flip shit if pictures of my ripped-apart daughter were being disseminated on the internet.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Mike’s Rules

3.) Apologies are equal to weakness and are always insincere, especially when those apologies are written for them, or otherwise not their idea. Regardless, if someone was truly sorry, they’d not have done whatever they did in the first place.

11.) At all times, people have full knowledge of what they’re doing, so they do not deserve a second chance or the benefit of the doubt.

12.) Forgiveness is for chumps.

Yay, sociopath.

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009

it makes your immune system basically go haywire (cytokine storm), it's your own immune system that does you in.

which is why they say that the age group most affected is 20-40, healthy people with typically strong immune systems

which is tragic
    over 36000 people die from the flu in the US each year, mostly the very young, the very old or the otherwise immuno-compromised.

so as I said before, it's really not the news (for the most part, aside from tabloids and other less reputable news sources) that are blowing this out of proportion

also, the cytokine storm is only a possible explanation for the the normally healthy age group that seems to be overly represented among the deaths so far

as I said earlier in response to someone else, I can guarantee you that if the WHO didn't say anything then people would be up in arms about why they weren't warned because a few dozen people died from a flu strain they'd never heard of before
    so they're pretty much damned if they warn us, and damned if they don't because there will always be people who over and underreact to a warning, and if a warning isn't issued there will always be people blaming those who knew and didn't issue a warning

this is all very true
    but i do feel that it was a bit of an oversight on the part of the reporter not to mention that the people in mexico who have died so far are all over the age of 3, under the age of 60.
    people with stronger immune systems

but you are right, it's not necessarily the reporters, though in some of these articles, i feel they're dangling bait for those who are paranoid about this shit by selectively leaving out pertinent information that would calm the masses down.

beavotron on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    pfft what's the big deal

Ah man I'm desensitized and jaded just like the rest of the internet. I don't care about the specifics of the issue itself.

I just think it really demonstrates how detached he is from normal human emotion. I mean, he has absolutely no idea where the parents are coming from, but it should be obvious to any normal person. I mean, I'm sure I'd flip shit if pictures of my ripped-apart daughter were being disseminated on the internet.

The parents are pretty shitty though, not for wanting the images off, but because they are suing the california highway patrol for 20 million. Don't know why

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    play Pandemic II with the Metroid Prime soundtrack playing in the background

it's creepy

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    pfft what's the big deal

The parents are pretty shitty though, not for wanting the images off, but because they are suing the california highway patrol for 20 million. Don't know why

Well, that's America I suppose. The photos were leaked by the local officials who were at the scene of the accident, at which point they spread online. I believe that's their rationale.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Well, if the officials leaked pictures they should be punished in some way.

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009

which is tragic

this is all very true
    but i do feel that it was a bit of an oversight on the part of the reporter not to mention that the people in mexico who have died so far are all over the age of 3, under the age of 60.
    people with stronger immune systems

but you are right, it's not necessarily the reporters, though in some of these articles, i feel they're dangling bait for those who are paranoid about this shit by selectively leaving out pertinent information that would calm the masses down.

You just can't expect too much out of wire services like the AP and Reuters. It's like criticizing a hamburger when you could be having steak. :)

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This seems a tad unnecessary ...

Egypt slaughtering all pigs to stop swine flu

Not much to the article:
    CAIRO (AP) - The Egyptian government says it has begun slaughtering all pigs in the country as a precautionary measure against the possible spread of swine flu.

The Health Ministry says the slaughter of the country's 300,000 pigs will begin immediately.

The ministry has stated several times that there are no cases swine flu in the country, however neighboring Israel has reported two.

JoeUser on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Does that even make any sense? The swine flu was born out of a freak flu mutation in a decrepit Mexican pig farm, as far as I know. Why would killing every last pig in your own country thousands of miles away do any good? I mean, it's spreading via humans now, not pigs.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Uh, because then you have 300,000 pigs worth of bacon? Duh.

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Stupidity

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Since when are people rational in this day and age.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Hunter wrote: »
    Since when are people rational in that part of the world.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    the real question is will they compensate the farmers?

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I just want to know if I can get a good deal on Egyptian bacon now.

JoeUser on
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    muslims

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    If you want to talk fear-mongering...Matt Drudge is absolutely the worst. PANIC! Was the big headline the other day.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Oh god damn it Egypt

Grey Ghost on
This discussion has been closed.