Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Problem with toilet [resolved]

ronzoronzo Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So, when I left my apartment today, to my knowledge my toliet was fine. However when i returned around 6 hours later the water in the bowl had turned to a watery brown color, and a quick check of the tank confirmed that it too, was brown.

The brown color seemed to be coming from some sort of brown particle stuff, sort of like dirt/sand that settled into the bottom of the tank. Repeated flushings seems to have gotten rid of it, and i doused the thing with clorox to be safe.

My question is, what the hell causes that to happen*, and should I inform the maitence people to come take a look? I realize the second question is entirely based on the answer to the first, because if the pipes are rusting or something than we have a problem that is not my fault.

*It wasn't an upper decker.

ronzo on

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I would inform maintenance. It could have been rust if you have an older building, which can be easily dislodged if there's any construction going on in your building.

that's it, I'm shutting this entire forum down, everyone thank buttcleft
  • UsagiUsagi WOMP WOMPRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    could be rust from the pipes, or somebody upstream of your house was working on the line and dislodged a bunch of sediment

You heard it here first, folks.
    Putting your finger in someone's butthole.
    Basically the same as flowers.
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Spoiler:

I imagine some mucky rusty sediment got loose. I wouldn't worry about it (it didn't smell, did it), but calling maintenance should be free... right?

Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    this happened in vancouver a couple of times -- it was dirt in the reservoir. but yeah, definitely check with your maintenance guy.

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    okay, will be checking with maintenance. I would tell you if it smelled, but my nose really sucks at smelling things. I can't always tell if it doesn't smell, or if i just can't smell it.

• RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Also if the fire department was flushing, testing, or using any hydrants on your main line, the increased flow can cause sediment to dislodge and show up in people's homes.

Raneados wrote: »
    so what SPECIFICALLY is the problem with my hole?
  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Run your cold water faucet by the toilet and see if you can get it to go away.

• ceresceres Love is in the battlecry Nevada, USASuper Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    Also.. it might not hurt to boil your water for a day or two until you figure out what it is.

Or just get a couple gallons from the store for use.

JohnDies_zpsfe6c609e.jpg
    The avalanche has already started; it is too late for the pebbles to vote.
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    I was just gonna ask if you had pissed off anyone on the floor below you.

But I second Ceres, if you drink tap water (I do), don't until you get this resolved.

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Problem resolved, turns out they were just doing backflow testing and a few random people got hit with sediment backup