As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Net nanny for parents?

chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny WhoreOregonRegistered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So my in laws are super sweet, awesome people who have the computer savvy of gerbils. It's gotten to the point that I'm really worried about their security because they can be super careless and after this last bout of reformatting (26 trojans, multiple rootkits and a host of other crap) I'd like something to reign them in on their web browsing.

We've tried teaching the basics of safe searching, but they simply get tricked or forget half the time. Is there a program that will *actively* block them from visiting non-recommended sites (we've had AVG's search shield turned on for them, but I think they ignore the recommendations)?

They primarily use the home computers for a little bit of word processing, home bills, music and goofing around on the web. Securing these machines shouldn't be hard, but they keep finding ways around it :)

Halps!

TLDR; Can I net nanny my in laws?

chaosisorder on

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Have you thought about Deep Freezing them?

It would just have to involve you with updates and installation of new software.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    How much are you looking to spend, or are you good with linux and iptables?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Are they on their own computer or a shared system?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You could set them up with OpenDNS, using a profile that blocks and adware and phishing sites. I'm not sure how much stuff that would catch, but at least they can't willfully sidestep the block without involving you.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Have thought about Deep Freezing- the complications are:

1) We are halfway across the country from them and will soon be living out of the country where we may not be able to remotely access them.

2) They are on a home network that they need at least some ability to manuever since we aren't nearby.

We completely locked down their network at work so they basically can't do squat except billing programs, word processing and the sites we have manually allowed. I'd hate to do that to them at home, but I'd rather that then the crap they're headed for by doing things like getting banking emails and putting in their info to random sites >.<

No, I'm no even remotely familiar with Linux, but if I have to get that way to make this work, I will.

chaosisorder on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You could always try installing the free version of Logmein, along with some of the other mentioned ways. This way, if they did have a problem, you could access their computer from anywhere with an internet connection, and it's like you're sitting right in front of it.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I recently went through this.. and TBH.. it wasn't worth it. I have nothing against Windows, but the nature of the industry is to target any/all weaknesses in the OS and it's software, it's stupidly easy to get things installed when the user thinks nothing of clicking links/opening emails, etc.

I said fuck it and installed Ubuntu. I know hardcore linux people scoff at is as nothing more than Windows XP linux style... but that was the point. For the use my parents have the likelihood of them getting something that is meant to be able to infect a *nix box is almost 0.

I set it up to mimic their XP box pretty close... E-mail, music, some games, printer works, flash works, their bill paying sites/etc work... so it's all set.

If you are really good with linux, you can obviously set them up with any distro you want and make it work for them, I just chose ubuntu due to the ease of setup and the generally user friendly approach they have taken to usability.

May not be your cup of tea, but it should be pretty much a sure bet they won't have spyware/vurus's from casual use.

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Kind of a simple thing, have you told them to start using FireFox rather than IE? It won't completely stop the problem - buts its kinda like a flak jacket.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Here you go- Windows Steadystate. Set up their workstation how they want it, load Steadystate, set a folder/folders where they can save stuff, set options and then let them have it back. They can load as much crap as they want, then after a reboot, it'll be right back the way it was. Take a look, I use it all the time for Kiosk workstations, it's so handy.

Edit - oh, and it's free. You owe it to yourself to take a look at it.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Stop fixing their computer for them. Fixing computer-illiterate in-laws' computers is the most Sisyphusian task in existence.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ubuntu was my first venture into Linux and it is sooooo easy. Aside from learning a few different ways to do things, its as close to the same experience they will ever need/want.
    Grab unetbootin and give it a go yoursellf, I really think this will be your best option.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    embrik wrote: »
    Here you go- Windows Steadystate. Set up their workstation how they want it, load Steadystate, set a folder/folders where they can save stuff, set options and then let them have it back. They can load as much crap as they want, then after a reboot, it'll be right back the way it was. Take a look, I use it all the time for Kiosk workstations, it's so handy.

Edit - oh, and it's free. You owe it to yourself to take a look at it.

This is the deep freeze that was mentioned above already. I'm not familiar with it myself, but a combination of this and maybe a separate partition for them to save data they need to. You could have the OS frozen, but still have space for them to save data to, and then troubleshoot that from a distance if need be.

ApexMirage on
    I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Tell them to get a Mac. It just works(tm).

Seriously. I get paid to fix problems like this that happen to the same people over and over again on a weekly basis. Install better anti-virus, firewalls, anti-malware, firefox, etc etc etc. They will NOT use it and go back to their old ways. Even though they pay me to fix it every time it pisses me off that it keeps happening.

Just get them a Mac and don't help them anymore.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    Kind of a simple thing, have you told them to start using FireFox rather than IE? It won't completely stop the problem - buts its kinda like a flak jacket.

Install chrome instead. If it finds a page with malware in it it wont load and you have to click through it.

Really though you have to accept these people are idiots.

Oh and hide internet explorer so they can't use it.

Blake T on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Just set their internet explorer shortcuts to target firefox or chrome.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sadly, they have Firefox. And have everything set to load Firefox instead of IE. And although both assure me that they do not use IE, the volume of crap on their machine says otherwise.

While a Mac would have been a great idea to start, we are now faced with three computers we'd have to replace and people who would *freak* if a USB cord to something (like their camera) didn't instantly work.

Looks like a deep freeze lockdown of some sort is in order- thanks for the free MS one, we'll probably try that first and then move to a linux system if they persist in opening "Yur bank needs psswrd!" e-mails.

chaosisorder on