As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bicycle Insurance?

MKRMKR Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Are there any insurance plans for bicycles? I'm not so worried about the bicycle, but a bad injury would ruin me financially.

MKR on

• Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MKR wrote: »
    Are there any insurance plans for bicycles? I'm not so worried about the bicycle, but a bad injury would ruin me financially.

That's what health insurance covers.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    MKR wrote: »

That's what health insurance covers.

Don't have it. I'm looking for something that covers injuries from a bicycle wreck specifically.

MKR on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    AFIAK no. You'd just need health insurance, as you don't need a license to ride one.

Basically you can only really get coverage for a horrible accident on one as part of a policy for something else. If someone hits you then their (hopefully) liability insurance covers you.

edit: either way you need to call local insurance companies and ask them.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    AFIAK no. You'd just need health insurance, as you don't need a license to ride one.

Basically you can only really get coverage for a horrible accident on one as part of a policy for something else. If someone hits you then their (hopefully) liability insurance covers you.

edit: either way you need to call local insurance companies and ask them.

If my tire blows when I'm doing the speed limit in the neighborhood (25) and I can't keep control while I slow down, or I hit a tree on the local bicycle trail, another person's liability insurance won't do me much good. :P

I was hoping there would be a cheaper health insurance specifically for the sort of injuries you can get on a bicycle that aren't severe, but do require a doctor visit (bad cuts).

I guess I'll just invest in some more padding and a pair of riding gloves to cover me if nobody knows of something like that.

MKR on
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Get a home suture kit.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You may want to look for temporary health insurance. It's usually much cheaper than normal health insurance and is intended to work for the short term (like people moving between states and jobs) who are in your situation -- they don't want to be financially ruined if something bad were to happen.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Huh. A telemarketer was trying to sell me this last night.

What you're looking for is called (in the UK, at least) "Personal Accident Insurance". If you go looking for "Cycle insurance" you're going to find theft and liability insurance.

japan on
  • Options
    man2bikeman2bike Registered User new member
    edited May 2009
    Actually I found one with a booth at a few local rides here in Texas. The name of the company is CLIPP Inc, I believe their website is http://www.getclipp.com I have not signed up yet, but I have been to their website (can't sign up online yet, but their rep says that will be remedied in the next couple months. For now either print apps and mail em, or catch them at their booth at rides in Texas) Texas based so far...anyway hope it helps. By the way, according to them they cover...damage while riding / theft (replace at replacement value!) / excessive medical/ and accidental death while riding! Pretty cheap too FYI

man2bike on
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    $1,000 of medical insurance? What would that even pay for? A stitch or two? Seems like it's more geared to covering a co-pay for primary insurance.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I rode for most of my life without a single incident that required a medical visit, even with the sort of stupid stunts I pulled when I was younger. Looking at some of the old scrapes on the bicycle reminded me of that. I think as long as I ride carefully and keep my eye out for problem areas on the trail, I'll be fine. :)

MKR on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Actually as I understand it, it is 99.00 for the initial membership which gives me $1000.00 of coverage (property damage, theft, and excessive medical) if I want to cover a more expensive bike it's another $15.00 per $1000.00. So, a $3000.00 bike is going to cost me $129.00 per year, and that's accident damage, replacement value for theft...I have my own medical insurance, not looking for a med plan but it comes with it so...

man2bike on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Texas is quite a distance from here, so I don't think that's going to work. :P

MKR on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I agree that most do not have accidents, however I bought a $4500.00 bike last year and I do not want to lay it down in an accident and have to pay $600.00 to replace the derallieurs! However you are right, it's easy for me since I live in Texas...maybe they'll expand...they seem to be growing in demand here anyway.

man2bike on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    This is a $400 bike with stock parts (aside from the upgraded rims), so I think I'm ok. :D

MKR on