As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Linksys Wireless Router Trouble [Solved]

ForarForar #432Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So, my girlfriend brought over her laptop (with wireless card) and a Linksys wireless router (model WRT54GL v1.1).

The good news is that we plugged it in, plugged in my computer, and both it and her laptop are working just fine.

The bad news; it's not secure. Knowing how bad an idea having an insecure wireless connection is, we strove to change the settings on it, but unfortunately it won't accept the default password. The last time it was properly set up was years ago at her fathers place, and while neither he nor she believe the password was changed, and yet here I am.

So, first off; does anyone know if Linksys changed their default password (no username, password: admin), if for this model or another?

Failing that, I could hit the Reset button, but we're wondering if that would require the CD or anything else to properly set it up from the factory settings, or if it'd just be "put in 'admin', re-set up router, ..., profit"?

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
Forar on

• Options
    HoundxHoundx Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Reset to factory default will be fine, no cd will be required.

Houndx on
  • Options
    X5X5 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If I'm remembering correctly, All linksys models I've used recently have the default username and password as admin/admin

If not, reset the router to factory defaults and try it then. EDIT: (failure to read entire post) You won't need a cd to reconfigure the router, a reset will work fine.

X5 on
    TheX5.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, Linksys is admin/admin. Netgear is either *blank*/admin or admin/*blank*. As said though, holding down the tiny reset button on the back for 10 seconds will restore the default password.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My last three Linksys routers have all been "blank/admin" as default. Do you know if it's the standard Linksys firmware, or has it been flashed with something like DD-WRT? DD-WRT I think looks for "root/admin" by default.

W2 on
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Have the exact same router, Like matthasaproblem said, HOLD FOR 10 seconds. Just pressing it is just a reboot.

No cd required and the password would be blank/admin.

Gilbert0 on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    We reset the router, found the login/password to be defaulted to admin/admin (even the Linksys documentation says it should just be blank/admin. wtf?), and used an online guide to lock it down while allowing her laptop access.

Thank you, this can be locked now.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!