Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Obsolete Fallout thread - go to the new one!

freakish lightfreakish light Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Games and Technology
Download the GECK mod tools today!

Here's a set of tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/user/BethesdaGameStudios

So Fallout 3 is out now. People have a lot of questions about it. In fact, people keep asking the same questions over and over again. I figure I might as well answer them here, and direct people to this post.

But this thread isn't just about Fallout 3, even though it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. We also cater to the retro crowd of Fallout and Fallout 2. I'll split this into two parts, then.

Fallout Classic!
Spoiler:

Fallout 3: The New Fallout. Same great Fallout taste, brand new formula!

Hacking!
When you enter the Hacking minigame, you'll get a screen filled with words and random characters. The goal is to guess the correct word, and it plays out like a game of Mastermind. Pick a word, and the system will tell you how many letters in that word are in the same place as the target word. For instance, if you pick "Meaning" and the word is "Fucking" (for example), you would get 3/7 correct for the "ing" part. There are hidden character sets, delinated by {} <> () on a single line in that order, but there may be characters in between them like {$#$#&%}. Click on one of these when the whole sequence is highlighted and you'll get more password guesses or a dud will be removed from the screen. If you get down to one attempt left and there are no hidden character sequences, and you're not sure you can guess correctly, just cancel out with B and try again. You get a fresh puzzle, but you also get all your guesses back.

Hey, where's the instruction book?
If you're borrowing the game or it's a rental, you might not have the manual for this game. Fear not, Steam will provide!
http://store.steampowered.com/manual/22300/

Holstering and the Pip-Boy Light!
To holster your weapon, hold down reload (X on 360, R on PC, [] on PS3). To turn on the light on your Pip-Boy 3000, hold down the Pip-Boy button (B on 360, Tab on PC, probably O on PS3).

Repairing Items
In order to repair an item and improve its CND, you need two things: a high enough repair skill to repair an item past its current CND, and another item to scavenge for parts. Say you have two 10mm pistols at 25%. Select one, hit Y (or Triangle for PS3, I guess. I don't know the PC button, it's probably in the manual). Then select the one you want to scavenge for parts, they'll get combined together and the CND will go up, more damage, etc.

Note that you don't need an exact item to use for parts. The unique versions of weapons can be upgraded with the regular version - the Lincoln's Repeater can be repaired with the Hunting Rifle, the A3-21 Plasma Rifle can be repaired with the regular plasma rifle, etc. If you have one of those special weapons, try repairing it and you might have the right piece to use for parts. There's always a cap to which you can repair something (determined by your repair skill), so if you have two 50% guns you might not be able to combine them together. The resulting CND would be higher than the CND you can repair to.

Hotkeys and You!
To set a hotkey for an item in your inventory, on PC press a number key and then click on the item. On console, hold down RB or R1 and hit a direction on your d-pad while the item is selected. Whoever told me you don't need to hold down RB, you're a dirty liar.

In-Game frequently asked questions

I want to explore the Wasteland, but I don't want to skip any of the story!
Spoiler:

Housing
Spoiler:
Where the Fuck is the Family?!
Spoiler:
Where's Dogmeat?
Spoiler:
How do I get into Rivet City? There's no bridge!

Okay, this isn't so frequently asked and it's not a spoiler, but I had trouble with it the first time I went. Climb up that building with the stairs on it that appear to lead nowhere, and at the top (next to the poor guy who needs water) there's an intercom. Click it, and Harkness will send the bridge over for you.

How do I get into the broken-off bow in Rivet City?
Spoiler:
List of Bobbleheads, via Vault wiki
Spoiler:

Unique Weapons
These are better versions of weapons you find in the Wasteland
Spoiler:

Huge gigantic awesome map with lots and lots of locations - if not all of them - filled in. Spoilers, obviously, for people who like to explore on their own.
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/fallout/images//d/d6/Wastelandmap.png

Here's another map that's a little different, but probably just as good. Shows bobbleheads, too.

http://crasheras.awardspace.com/fo3m.swf

Complete list of schematic locations - it's a little messy, I might post it in here and clean it up a little later.
http://www.madnesswithoutmethod.com/2008/11/fallout-3-weapon-schematics-guide-info-locations-map/

A list of stuff you'll need throughout the course of the game - if you see any of these, pick them up and save them for later. If I missed anything, feel free to PM me.
Spoiler:

Zen recommends PC mods!
Spoiler:

DLC!
In short:
Go get The Pitt. You can skip Operation Anchorage if you don't feel like paying $10 for maybe four hours of shooting and not much else.

freakish light on

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Axen wrote: »
    For your viewing pleasure I have gathered together all the mods recommended by PAers:
    I only copied / pasted the quotes, so if the descriptions for the mods are a little lacking just follow the link.

VATS Normal Weapon Degradation
    Normally in VATS your weapon degrades four times faster than normal. That's kinda dumb.

VATS MCE
    "VATS Manual Chance Evaluation is a slight revision of the standard VATS accuracy formula which will put a much greater emphasis on your weapon skill and the base accuracy of your chosen weapon rather than simply the distance to your target.
    As a small bonus it will lower the VATS zoom factor and remove the nonsensical wear VATS used to apply to your weapon."

It basically allows you to use your Sniper Rifle in VATS as a fucking sniper rifle.

STRANGER Mod
    Made by our own Mumblyfish, don't think it's compatible with MCE, so don't use them together.

"Smurf" Impact Physics Mod
    Allows you to alter people flying around like ragdolls. I preferred the "real" setting.

Falling Damage Mod
    Now you don't die by falling a story!

Hundred Fists
    Because completely unarmed taking more AP than having spiked knuckles on is dumb.

MTUI
    A much better and cleaner and bigger interface.

Weapon Mod Kits.
    Allows you to mod your weapons.

GNR -- More Where That Came
    Even for people who aren't interested in running mods, this one is essential. It adds 100 more songs to GNR, songs that actually fit the game very well, not random shit. Check it out.

Lork's Sprint mod
    Awesome little mod. Very reminiscent of the sprite feature in Stalker.

Mart's Mutant Mod
    Good mod that does alot of stuff including added much needed variety to monsters and increasing spawns (optional). I am just going to include the description in spoiler tags.
    Spoiler:

BlackWolf Backpack.
    Not only does it allow you to carry either an extra 35lbs or 50lbs, but the backpack itself looks so right on my character.

Welcome to the Wasteland.
    It changes a number of things in the game making it a bit harder. Stimpacks and ammo are much more expensive, food will be your primary source of health (luckily the food itself heals for a lot more), radiation is a hell of a lot more dangerous, everything has more weight to it so whenever you go out scaving you need to be more careful about what you take, and it does a multitude of other things. This mod coupled with Mart Mutant Mod has made the Waste much more interesting and dangerous.

Crysis Armor
    Spoiler:

Classic Fallout Weapons
    I have my trusty 14mm Pistol, all the super mutants carry Vindicator miniguns, the Brotherhood carry Wattz Laser pistols and rifles, raiders have cattle prods (which I could live without truth be told).

Darnified UI
    A very good UI mod.

Phalanx Companion Module
    This is a companion mod I use. Some highlights of the mod are:

- Recruit as many followers as you want
    - No Karma requirement for all but 3 companions
    - Lets you choose what their three tag skills are (hint: Sneaking is a fine choice)
    - Allows you to use Stimpacks to heal a companion, aside from the robot of course.
    - Allows you to give commands or group-wide commands.
    - It also adds two new companions (which, eh, I could live without)
    - You can also set the "tactics" of your companions. Stuff like "stay close to me" or "chase down enemies".

Alternate Beginning:
    Don't let the file name fool you it comes with many, many beginnings.

This mod allows you to start as something other than a Vault dweller. It doesn't really change the quests, but it does help to add some flavor to your replay. Here is a short list of some of the "Histories" you can choose from.
    • Outcast- Starts you off at Fort Independence with Outcast power armor are and a laser rifle, you are also a member of the Outcast faction meaning that their enemies are you enemies. You also have access to the Fort.
    • Slaver- You start off at Paradise Falls and, well, you're a slaver.
    • Paladin- Just like Outcast except you're with the Brotherhood.
    • Raider- If you are feeling ballsy you can give Raider a try. Its not for the feint of heart. You are good friends with all the Raiders, but pretty much every one else (except Paradise Falls I think) will shoot you on sight. Have fun.
    • Ghoul- Begin as a freakish monstrosity and ever present reminder of humanity's folly! (Perfect for those Ghoul on Ghoul fantasies!)
    • Or if your feel like a change of pace you can start out as a Vault Dweller!
    There are a ton of other starting options and everyone comes with bonuses or penalties or both! Along with suitable starting gear. There really isn't to much to this mod at the moment, but its one I am going to keep my eye on.

Ultimate Perk Pack:
    This mod adds over 40+ new Perks. It also comes with the option of changing the vanilla Perks. I have gone over the list of Perks it adds and they seem to fit right at home with Fallout, more so than the vanilla Perks IMO.

Fallout 3 Balance Overhaul
    Overhual is right when it comes to this tiny, yet powerful mod. It changes quite a bit. You will have to download it to view the readme to find out all the changes. The changes, they are legion. This mod makes "Staying Alive" your primary goal. The changes are to many for me to list, but one I really enjoy is that you will have to eat, drink, and sleep. If you don't want a ton of changes to the game then you are in luck, the mod is modular so you can pick and choose which mods you want or don't want.

Liberty RIfle
    This mod adds three new Energy Weapons-based sniper rifles, which shoot a powerful blue laser beam and are highly accurate. They require knowledge of Energy Weapons to become more adept with.
    Spoiler:

Killable Children
    Little Lamplight had a reckoning coming.

Or you could post the megalist in a new post, like this. Instead of being a lazy fart :P
    ____
    ADDITIONAL MODS THAT YOU SHOULD DOWNLOAD EVEN IF YOU ARE LAZY AND SLEEPY.
    ____

Megaton and Tenpenny House Easy Access
    New fast travel points for your megaton house front door and ten penny balcony for easy dumping of your no doubt illicitly gained goods.

Jinxed
    Jinxed, 'nuff said.

that's it, I'm shutting this entire forum down, everyone thank buttcleft
  • freakish lightfreakish light Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, well, I am a lazy fart, so it works out.

edited May 2009
    Yeah, well, I am a lazy fart, so it works out.

Well of course, I wouldn't go calling you something that were untrue.

That'd just be scandalous

• CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User
    edited May 2009
    So, saying I wanted to do some mapping like say an underground research facility, what program would I use?

steam_sig.png
  • freakish lightfreakish light Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Mapping falls squarely into GECK territory.

• deowolfdeowolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So, Tuesday, right?

Hope the DLC comes out smooth this time. Though the gamefaqs forums were neck-beard-tastic.

[SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • MightyhogMightyhog Registered User
    edited May 2009
    Gonna mark this thread with a lil blue dot
    I'm very much thinking of making a "maximum" character- I know it's not all that hard, but in the end I'd have a pretty fun, broken character to play with!
    He's going to look like Teddy Roosevelt.

edited May 2009
    After 3 attempts I finally made the run to rivet city without dying.

God damn FOOK and MMM Increased Increased make things hairy.

• DuffelDuffel Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man, those mods with the trees and grass are so weird. It's like Fallout invaded Cyrodill. On the one hand I'm tired of the same old wasteland but strolling through the forest drinking irradiated water seems crazy.

On the other hand it just makes me want a pre-war mod even more.

edited May 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    Man, those mods with the trees and grass are so weird. It's like Fallout invaded Cyrodill. On the one hand I'm tired of the same old wasteland but strolling through the forest drinking irradiated water seems crazy.

On the other hand it just makes me want a pre-war mod even more.

I think the tree mod falls directly into the lap of the people who go " What the fuck? its been 200 years, plantlife would have returned by now. Just look at Chernobyl, UNREALISM "

edited May 2009
    deowolf wrote: »
    So, Tuesday, right?

Hope the DLC comes out smooth this time. Though the gamefaqs forums were neck-beard-tastic.

The Pitt came out smoothly for the PC at least. Kept me happy. :P

Does anyone know anything about the next bit of DLC after Broken Steel, Point Look? The names been leaked as being bundled with Broken Steel in a future expansion pack release, and I must say the name alone has piqued my interest.

steam_sig.png
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I thought they said it was pretty unlikely there would be a 4th DLC...

Could you provide a link to that info Carcharodontosaurus?

edited May 2009
    Well shit, they leaked that mighty quick. Considering the Anchorage and Pitt bundle just got released...Must already be in the works...yay!

• deowolfdeowolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wow, I'd heard nothing of this. Cool news.

[SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Judging by the name, the 4th DLC will be a photo safari in which you are tasked by Moira to take pictures of all the different wildlife in the waste and documenting it all into a handy "Animals of the Wastes" guide. Once completed you will get the perk "Preservationist" that will give you a bonus to killing animals/insects of the wastes.

:winky:

• DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Axen wrote: »
    Judging by the name, the 4th DLC will be a photo safari in which you are tasked by Moria to take pictures of all the different wildlife in the waste and documenting it all into a handy "Animals of the Wastes" guide. Once completed you will get the perk "Preservationist" that will give you a bonus to killing animals/insects of the wastes.
    ;)

They working on a LotR mod for this game, too?

1208768734831.jpg
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I wouldn't be surprised if Point Look is a full expansion. Bethesda kept saying they had 'no plans for a full expansion pack' when they were releasing Oblivion DLC and look how that turned out.

edited May 2009
    I must have LotR on the mind or something. :)

• GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    While I normally use the Sealth Suit and Shock Sword to turn people into piles of ash, I find that, when I brutalize the slavers in Paradise Falls, it's much more satisfying to leave a visible trail of bodies leading up to Eulogy Jones' pad. Limbs scattered about, head exploded.

My justice is not swift, it is not painless. But it is visible.

rvcontre78 wrote:
    This game is all about the racism. I hate to think about all the backlash that will be involved but the truth must be told. The truth about a man who kills people by dropping them from his crane. Political correctness be damned. Damned to the max.
    edited May 2009
    Should mention Fallout: New Vegas or am I just blind and didn't see it?

• AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I am wondering just how profitable putting out regular DLC has proven to be for Bethesda. Could they make enough off of each expansion to justify another?

edited May 2009
    Food wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if Point Look is a full expansion. Bethesda kept saying they had 'no plans for a full expansion pack' when they were releasing Oblivion DLC and look how that turned out.

Given it's going to be sold as a bundle with Broken Steel, I wouldn't be so sure. I could definitely see a full expansion in Fallout 3's future, but I'm not sure that Point Look is it.
    Antithesis wrote: »
    I am wondering just how profitable putting out regular DLC has proven to be for Bethesda. Could they make enough off of each expansion to justify another?

Fingers crossed!

steam_sig.png
    edited May 2009
    Well, it was one of the top selling games in Q4 2008 wasn't it? and one of the most sold 360 games in the same time period? (I read that some where, forget where...)

That means they have tons of people buying that DLC, plus getting their friends to buy the game at 60 bucks, and then all the DLC...I imagine it adds up quickly to be a lot of money.

• CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So, im playing a goody two shoes big gun wielding missle launching, BoS esque character

Next time around im thinking of playing an evil stealth melee ninja.

How different will the game be?

edited May 2009
    CangoFett wrote: »
    So, im playing a goody two shoes big gun wielding missle launching, BoS esque character

Next time around im thinking of playing an evil stealth melee ninja.

How different will the game be?

Certain areas will be very different. There's plenty of content a goody two shoes will never see. Tenpenny Towers in particular becomes really interesting if you're playing an evil character.

steam_sig.png
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Slave wrangling is also something evil characters can do, shame you can't make Moira your slave.:winky:

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I really hope there are various body types in the next Bethseda game. I want gluttonous fat dudes and 6ft4 conan raiders.

• Funguy McAidsFunguy McAids Registered User
    edited May 2009
    Prohass wrote: »
    I really hope there are various body types in the next Bethseda game. I want gluttonous fat dudes and 6ft4 conan raiders.

I have a nice mod that I can't remember the name of that makes all the NPC's into a variety of heights and thicknesses. Pretty awesome little mod.

• TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User
    edited May 2009
    FALLOUT 1

Where the hell can I find some Rad-x? I headed into the glow without any after scouring merchants for a while, found 2 inside, and then didn't have enough RadAway to lose all my radiation after completing everything inside. I died horribly and without fail attempting to reach the closest town.

I still have a clean save outside, but I have no idea where to buy/steal some Rad-x.

And in Fallout 1, I don't have to worry about my companions radiation, right?

edited May 2009
    Tylerbroor wrote: »
    FALLOUT 1

Where the hell can I find some Rad-x? I headed into the glow without any after scouring merchants for a while, found 2 inside, and then didn't have enough RadAway to lose all my radiation after completing everything inside. I died horribly and without fail attempting to reach the closest town.

I still have a clean save outside, but I have no idea where to buy/steal some Rad-x.

And in Fallout 1, I don't have to worry about my companions radiation, right?

poke around the merchants in the hub.

Their inventories refresh everytime you reload the game, so buy some, save, reload, buy more.

You know the stuff you sell to them ends up in their body inventory right? if you have a good pickpocket skill this is also a good way to make money.. :winky:
    Spoiler:

• TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User
    edited May 2009
    Forgot about the power armor resistance. Thanks man.

• StrikerkcStrikerkc Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm playing through as a new character, and the funniest thing is happening. I skipped the whole vault portion of the game by simply altering a previous character's auto save from right before leaving the vualt (the one that alows you to change everything about your character). Well the character I had played the vault section with was evil (so my new character was leaving with an evil karma level) but everything I'm doing in the game has been good. So when 3 dog comes on he prefaces every bit of news about me with "Wonder what that scum bag is up to now wastlanders?"... "Got some Great news out of Megaton!!!".

I know folks have run into similar things becuase they do some good and some bad, but I've done all good and he still thinks I'm the scum of the earth (aparently I did something very very bad in the vault, becuase all the good I'm doing for the world hasn't even made me nutral yet...D:)

• subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Has anyone read these? GOG.com recently had Fallout week and they had Tim Cain and Chris Avellone over to talk about Fallout 1 and 2. They're pretty awesome.

http://www.gog.com/en/editorial/editorial_fallout

http://www.gog.com/en/editorial/fallout_week_fallout_2_editorial/

"Ron Perlman threatened to kill me for how I wrote the end-game narrative text," Avellone says, grinning. "It had some pretty horrible lines for any voice actor to try and say. I wasn't there at the session, but the audio producer brought in mp3s of Ron Perlman threatening to kill me, my family, and I believe my dog, even though I don't have a dog. It was pretty scary.

"To conclude the tale, I had to sit in on a voice session with him for Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter, but he didn't know who I was. Then I had to explain he was going to be playing a transvestite dragon [in Heart of Winter], and I got that sinking feeling he would simply murder me for the hell of it."

Don't mess with Ron Perlman.

• ItalaxItalax Registered User
    edited May 2009
    Is MMM worth the effort, because I had to move it out of my Steam folder to use ArchiveInvalidation Invalidated, which it says I need to activate before I can install MMM.

PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Uee Citizen Record #2051 Über Star CitizenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I just wanna say that I've finished The Pitt, and the story was pretty fucking great.
    Spoiler:

And I also got all ingots woo!!!! Tribal armor rocks!

The new achievements for Broken Steel are already patched in, BTW.

Steam: Stormwatcher | XBL: Stormwatcher 21 | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Gamecenter: Stormwatcher33 | 3DS: 0130-2805-2850
    steam_sig.png
  • Gar kingGar king Registered User
    edited May 2009
    man I really want the Pitt right now

Spoiler:
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Someone please try and sell me on FOOK, 'cause I've already got the classic weapons mod and from what I'm seeing minus what FCW does FOOK is basically "a bunch of real-life guns emot-downs.gif".

Gamertag, Crackdown metatag, and other interesting stuff below!
    Join the Wang Defense Force and help stop the insect menace!
    Help a poor bastard out! Read (or at least visit) my Bright Hub articles!
    Spoiler:
  • bobmyknobbobmyknob Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The Pitt is a lot of fun, I really hope that Broken Steel has as much (or more) content as The Pitt. I also enjoyed the method of travel to the Pitt and back to the Capital Wasteland, if only they had some steam locomotives too.

camo_sig2.png
  • MightyhogMightyhog Registered User
    edited May 2009
    Here's my plan for a maxed out "true-neutral" character, feedback would be great:
    Spoiler:

Some notes:
    -Strength is high pretty much for the carry weight
    -Impartial Mediation I would like to keep, it means less stats to worry about and kinda gives reason to staying neutral...
    -Two books can only be reached with Lawbringer AND Contract Killer- but that's two perks for rather limited use, I might settle for just Lawbringer at level 19
    -I realize that Three-Dog's head wrap would cover the additional luck/charisma, but... well, I'd much rather have a cowboy hat.
    -That first Training could go anywhere, I'm not sold on Int