As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Obsolete Fallout thread - go to the new one!

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hot. Tomorrow is perfect timing. So if I buy Broken Steel, The Pitt, and Anchorage, I'll be able to do the new Anchorage and Pitt stuff with the new level cap?

Renzo on
  • Options
    JaramrJaramr Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I hope Broken Steel works with FOOK. If not, I might have to start over without it.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Can I play the original Fallout in DosBox + Windowed Mode under XP?

Sheep on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I've done it. Might take some finagling as DosBox is a whore sometimes.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    gstaffgstaff Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    New update to the GECK is available here.

gstaff on
    Ron says war never changes. Snake says it does. What gives?
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Christ it is so amazing to me how well optimized and better looking this game is compared to Oblivion

I get really high silky smooth framerates, long draw distance, better looking textures and effects, and a much better performance. Even the animations, which are still Bethesda's weakest point graphically, look a lot better than Oblivion's

My framerate always seemed really low when I was outdoors in Oblivion, and there was pretty constant stuttering as it loaded new areas when I was travelling

Plus Bethesda have apparently figured out how to use HDR and bloom to disguise the fact that the indoor areas are different cells than the outdoor areas. It's really rather impressive how they designed them

Plus the dungeons are much more interesting and well designed

Fuck this game rules

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    SaigaSaiga Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Does the game auto-save at the end? I don't remember, just curious how we will initiate Broken Steel when booting up the game.

Saiga on
    28je138.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What surprised me the most is how little time it takes to save your game.

Renzo on
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think I might have overdone it with all the graphical mods, I've taken a serious performance hit with all the object graphic updates as well as quadrupling a lot of the environmental texture details. Oh well it's still playable. 8-)

Screens please!

donhonk on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Renzo wrote: »
    What surprised me the most is how little time it takes to save your game.

Oh yeah that too

Also shorter load times all around

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The grass in Oblivion is just brutal, unmodded. Not having all that memory-eating (though very pretty) vegetation makes Fallout 3 so much more runnable, while maintaining high resolution/most effects. I can run FO3 with HDR, 1024 x (whatever) resolution, all draw distance, etc. on my laptop that got eaten by Oblivion any time I went outdoors.

I'm curious - was anyone here, who got the PC version of Oblivion on release, able to run everything on max/high settings? There probably were, but it seems like you'd have needed a beast of machine, 3 years ago.

Graviija on
  • Options
    rvrv Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I remember having to use the toggle grass cheat to run Oblivion when it first came out. Fortunately some of the very first mods for the game were grass related.

rv on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    hyperpowerhyperpower Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So now that I have done most of Fallout is Oblivion worth buying?
    Oh, and I'm super excited about broken steel. Finally finished anchorage and a few other side quests last night.

Also, finally got a fat man. Can't wait to fire it!

hyperpower on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Graviija wrote: »
    I'm curious - was anyone here, who got the PC version of Oblivion on release, able to run everything on max/high settings? There probably were, but it seems like you'd have needed a beast of machine, 3 years ago.

God no. I played on high settings, but the draw distance I had on 50%. Framerate was about 15-20 outside, and 30-40 inside.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    hyperpower wrote: »
    Oh, and I'm super excited about broken steel. Finally finished anchorage and a few other side quests last night.

Oblivion should be pretty cheap by now. I'd recommend it. It and whatever mods you feel comfortable with.

Do not try to install FCOM. For your vanilla playthrough I'd recommend stick to graphics mods + tweaks and a few other things depending on what kind of character you want to play.

Antithesis on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I sunk more than 200 hours on Oblivion and the DLC packs...

I cannot recommend it enough.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Christ it is so amazing to me how well optimized and better looking this game is compared to Oblivion

I get really high silky smooth framerates, long draw distance, better looking textures and effects, and a much better performance. Even the animations, which are still Bethesda's weakest point graphically, look a lot better than Oblivion's

My framerate always seemed really low when I was outdoors in Oblivion, and there was pretty constant stuttering as it loaded new areas when I was travelling (Misc Quest spoiler)

Plus Bethesda have apparently figured out how to use HDR and bloom to disguise the fact that the indoor areas are different cells than the outdoor areas. It's really rather impressive how they designed them

Plus the dungeons are much more interesting and well designed

Fuck this game rules
    The thing I love is just how wonderfully Bethesda was able to nail that 50s zeerust feeling, not just the cars and the robots and the designs and stuff, but the little things - I was going through
    the hospital from Reilly's Rangers
    and the stupendous number of ashtrays I found sitting about was just smack-on with that pre-anti-smoking period when nobody knew any fucking better.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    Funguy McAidsFunguy McAids Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Strangely I put many hours into Oblivion but it never really gave me much thril or sense of wonder like Fallout 3 does. Though there is a certain special quest line thats fucking awesome.

Funguy McAids on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    donhonk wrote: »
    I think I might have overdone it with all the graphical mods, I've taken a serious performance hit with all the object graphic updates as well as quadrupling a lot of the environmental texture details. Oh well it's still playable. 8-)

Screens please!

Woah! I can see the molecules in the water, man!

Krathoon on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Strangely I put many hours into Oblivion but it never really gave me much thril or sense of wonder like Fallout 3 does. Though there is a certain special quest line thats fucking awesome.

I kind of just played it because, as bland as it was, there wasn't that much else out there.

I guess if its really cheap, it couldn't hurt. But its a very lifeless game with a broken leveling system and NPCs that are hideous to behold.

Fallout 3 is what Oblivion would have been like if they had put effort into other facets of the game besides the environment.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dogmeat! I think this playthrough was the longest I was able to keep him alive (almost an hour!). I had planned on reloading and keeping him alive, but I felt I had to preserve his heroic charge headlong into that Super Mutant Behemoth. So long, you crazy, crazy, dog.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Docshifty wrote: »
    Dogmeat! I think this playthrough was the longest I was able to keep him alive (almost an hour!). I had planned on reloading and keeping him alive, but I felt I had to preserve his heroic charge headlong into that Super Mutant Behemoth. So long, you crazy, crazy, dog.

I no longer bother to bring him with me unless I've made him invincible. Then, he's a great widdle doggy attacking the supermutants!

Antithesis on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I never could get my skills up on TES games. There's all kinds of annoying shit like not tagging athletics or it breaks your character and shit to deal with. One thing I love about FO3 is that it's as open-ended as a TES game but I don't have to be paranoid about using a shotgun because I want to specialize in Energy Weapons later in the game (or some other similar bullshit).

Duffel on
  • Options
    CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Antithesis wrote: »
    Docshifty wrote: »

I no longer bother to bring him with me unless I've made him invincible. Then, he's a great widdle doggy attacking the supermutants!

That's why the perk I'll choose at Level 21 is going to be Puppies!, as Dogmeat has a worrying tendency toward suicide.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh by the way, anyone who is having crashing issues, the solution is rather simple. Bethesda, in what can only be described as a brain fart, decided that when you install Fallout 3, it would also install a buggy, beta version of the .net framework. What you need to do to fix the crashes, is uninstall the .net framework, and reinstall the latest version from Microsoft. Fixes about 90% of crashing problems with this game.

Also, psyched for Broken Steel. Still not going to bother with Puppies! though, as Dogmeat is just irritating, giving me away when I'm stealthed and all that. Is there a list of the new perks somewhere?

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    We don't currently know what new perks will be introduced beyond Puppies!, that allows Dogmeat to be reincarnated infinitely, and Nerves of Steel, that increases action point regeneration. Given how broken Grim Reaper's Sprint is, I wonder what's going to be the ultimate Level 30 perk.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    We don't currently know what new perks will be introduced beyond Puppies!, that allows Dogmeat to be reincarnated infinitely, and Nerves of Steel, that increases action point regeneration. Given how broken Grim Reaper's Sprint is, I wonder what's going to be the ultimate Level 30 perk.

The level 30 perk is the ability to (ending spoilers)
    summon Liberty Prime

Duh.

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009

The level 30 perk is the ability to (ending spoilers)
    summon Liberty Prime

Duh.

Silly me, I forgot. :P

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802425307d5/

Broken Steel is Out, I bought it :)

I can't wait to try it out.

Lothars on
  • Options
    Funguy McAidsFunguy McAids Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I kind of just played it because, as bland as it was, there wasn't that much else out there.

I guess if its really cheap, it couldn't hurt. But its a very lifeless game with a broken leveling system and NPCs that are hideous to behold.

Fallout 3 is what Oblivion would have been like if they had put effort into other facets of the game besides the environment.

The biggest thing that irked me about oblivion is how garbage the magic system is. I never get a feeling of power and wonder by shooting a bolt of increase encumberance 20.....

Now if it had fireballs that made explosions like fallout 3 nukes? Gasm.

Funguy McAids on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Downloading now :P

hyperpower on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Stupid Australia with slow internet >.<

hyperpower on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Downloading now. The new perks look awesome. The two level 30 perks are Almost Perfect (all SPECIAL stats raised to 9), or the Nuclear Anomaly (when on 20 health or less, you explode in a huge blast of radiation, wiping out any friendlies or enemies in the vicinity).

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I just looked at the list of new perks. Nuclear Anomaly is going to be completely evil with Nerd Rage. Just insanely, completely evil. You're going to be a walking chain of explosions that nothing will survive.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I got Fallout 3 the other day and was so excited to play.

And then I got Red Ringed after choosing my sex.

Ugh.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You're going to be a walking chain of explosions that nothing will survive.
    I have become death...

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Anyone else is having trouble with the GFWL download?

It goes all the way to 100% then it says:
    Install of item Broken Steel failed.
    Not a cryptographic message or the cryptographic message is not formatted correctly. (exception from HRESULT: 0x8009200D)

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Idx86 wrote: »
    I got Fallout 3 the other day and was so excited to play.

And then I got Red Ringed after choosing my sex.

Ugh.

Well, clearly you chose wrong.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is Broken Steel compatible with old save games? Or will I need to start from scratch to get the benefits of a a not-stupid ending?

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    So I've done the first quest in Broken Steel.
    The achievements don't appear to be working. Says I have earnt it but hasn't updated fallout total and gamerscore

hyperpower on