As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Obsolete Fallout thread - go to the new one!

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Last really stupid Fallout question, I swear.

Im still trying to avoid spoilers, yet I still read this thread. I just saw something about a glove, and the quest "Them!", and realized I have that quest available and was going to do it, since it's so damn close to me and the other options involve a huge trek. I have no glove of any kind.

Are any of the quests timed? Can I just go fuck around for a really long time, and THEN finish it? It's just still so weird to me that a game where you can do pretty much anything, kill anyone, go anywhere, whatever, that I can go do my own shit for a couple days without fucking up a quest I put on hold by doing something I shouldn't have...

I did use the OP to find out where to avoid, however...

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    mxmarks wrote: »

Im still trying to avoid spoilers, yet I still read this thread. I just saw something about a glove, and the quest "Them!", and realized I have that quest available and was going to do it, since it's so damn close to me and the other options involve a huge trek. I have no glove of any kind.

Are any of the quests timed? Can I just go fuck around for a really long time, and THEN finish it? It's just still so weird to me that a game where you can do pretty much anything, kill anyone, go anywhere, whatever, that I can go do my own shit for a couple days without fucking up a quest I put on hold by doing something I shouldn't have...

None of the quests are timed. You can explore and do whatever you want pretty much at your leisure.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Maybe he owns his own business?

...or his own office. Still, I would be careful, this game can be a time sink.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The thought just occurred to me that Mothership Zeta is going to be incredibly difficult. Think about it this way; the Alien Blaster is found on a Recon Craft, so presumably it's just a sidearm to use just in case. The aliens on the Mothership are enraged, and they've abducted us, likely stripping us of all of our equipment.

Alien Blaster Rifle equipped enemies, anyone? D:

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The thought just occurred to me that Mothership Zeta is going to be incredibly difficult. Think about it this way; the Alien Blaster is found on a Recon Craft, so presumably it's just a sidearm to use just in case. The aliens on the Mothership are enraged, and they've abducted us, likely stripping us of all of our equipment.

Alien Blaster Rifle equipped enemies, anyone? D:
    But when you have an alien rifle and like alien power armor then its not so tough.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I wonder if there'll be some new Fallout at PAX09...

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »

Oh ho ho.

I guess it's a decent bet that there might be. A safe gamble, if you will.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Oh ho ho.

I guess it's a decent bet that there might be. A safe gamble, if you will.

Are you willing to stake your life on that? Possibly even throw all your chips into the pot?

If this were Russian Roulette, what are the chances you'd say it would be there? What kind of timeslot would you expect to see? Could you... uhm... uh.... keno, blackjack, and poker your thoughts? Yeah I got nothin.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    LacroixLacroix Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So... it is hinted in Moriartys log that Jericho is basically an attempted rapist or worse... does the game never deal with this in story?
    In lieu of an actual quest, I intend to hire him, take him out to some prime shootin' location and fuck his shit up in a gunfight. Where would be a good place on the wordmap for a fun oneon one shoot out?

Actually, i'll broaden the question and ask where have your favourite fights been at anyway? Which locations just scream 'epic'.

Alternatively, I could just kill Jericho in that hut in Andale. They were always nice to me so I felt no need to hurt them just because of their way of life... it would be like my gift to them.

Lacroix on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I really enjoyed the end of the "chapter 1 research" questline, where you peruse into that empty town and apparently there's a guy on top of a broken down schoolhouse with a sniper rifle. I was sneaking around cleaning up the landmines, and thought I heard something nearby. I looked around, I was still hidden, so I kept on my way.

A moment later the car next to me exploded, so I rushed to cover and wondered what was going on. Heard a few bullets whiz by my head, looked way off into the distance and saw a very small outline of a human up on a building. He took a few more missed shots, I lined up my Winchester Hunting Rifle... BAM. The guy falls down.

I now have a wonderful new Sniper rifle. Loved that little standoff.

Oh, and about storylines that went unended...
    The part where you go to Arifu, then find the missing boy to bring him Lucy's letter. Why can you not tell Lucy what happened? It never returns to her, just ends with The Family.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I dont know how all of you have done it. I am absolutely freaking out over this game. I feel like it needs to break me, and then I'll really enjoy it. I love it, but as Ive made painfully obvious, I have NEVER played ANYTHING like this (Oblivion and I didnt get along...), and I just can not figure out what to do. I have a strong feeling it will be like Dead Rising, where I just dont understand and get kinda ticked off, and suddenly I start to play by its rules and love the thing to death.

I just needed to use the "Where the fuck is the family?" spoiler in the OP because I couldnt figure out why my map wanted me to go to the super market. Once in the tunnel, a million rats came and killed me, because I have no ammo left. I'm also CONSTANTLY overburdened as I feel like I need to be carrying one of everything because WHO KNOWS WHEN ILL NEED IT! I found a workbench, to use the stuff, but I have no schematics.

The lack of any sort of explanation as to what I need this stuff for, and what it does, bothers me, but at the same time, I get it. I like it. I'm living in this wasteland, and why do I feel compelled to keep every ashtray I find?

So I guess now I'm going to just dick around and try to find ways to earn money to buy better ammo and guns, and then go find the family, because I am horridly unprepared right now. I got a minigun off a super mutant, but its broken and I have no way (and not enough caps) to repair it. I may just keep helping that lady write her book for now, to build up supplies.

I hope Im not bothering anyone with these posts about how new this is to me, when all of you are looking forward to expansions 4 and 5. I just honestly have never played in such an open world sandbox that it's still a bit jarring to me how I literally just have to figure this shit out on my own. The guy wants Sugar Bombs, and there's no little pop up of "SUGAR BOMBS HERE!" Its a great big world, and I best start looking, I guess.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm new, as well. I know what you're saying, and I've got the problem of holding onto everything I find, too.

Oh, and The Family isn't all bad. Just depends how you talk to them. You stay cool, and you might learn something... a misunderstood group... Ah.

Looking forward to my evil go-around, though. "The Family" had a pretty nice hideout full of pretty nice stuff :P

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I carry one of everything, leaving me overburdened and strapped for caps.

Guess what you should do? Sell anything you cannot immediately use. Carry one combat suit, and carry maybe 1 or 2 more really lightweight outfits if you feel the need to. If you are a small arms type carry one good condition 10mm weapon, one good hunting rifle, a shotgun, and maybe an assault rifle (Chinese when you find one). You can switch between them depending on how your ammo is. If its all too heavy for you, find a box or locker somewhere (if you have a house thats perfect) and deposit everything you're not immediately using. Carry one bread and butter weapon, and one situational backup weapon. Explosives are always a fun thing to carry around for those times when you are outmatched. Drop some mines and run.

Leave all your miscellaneous items in a locker for later so that once you have schematics to use them you can come back and pick out the things you need to build them with.

Basically you want a place to horde your stuff so that you can pick what things to take with you on any given mission.

Also if you are having issues with ammo, don't forget that crouching and holding right click really improves your accuracy with weapons, meaning you should save much more ammo when firing.

In the quest menu, if you click a quest it can place a marker on your radar. You can even see exactly where this marker is pointing to if you click the maps.

Also, level up either barter or repair. Repair lets you recycle enemy weapons once they start dropping and lets you keep stuff in order. Barter lets you get everything at lower prices, including repairs, and lets you sell all that stuff you horde for more as well.

In the end, remember. This is the wasteland. You take only what you actually need to survive.

And for what it's worth, you can beat the game completely naked and punching everything to death. This is a perfectly acceptable way to play. Just to put your item hoarding into perspective.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Awesome - thanks for the advice. Quick question -

When I leave stuff places, will it stay there? I dropped some things off just on the ground in the super market, and noticed last time I checked it was still there, but wasn't sure if it was something like once I shut off the XBox it forgets. I may quick travel back to Megaton and my house to drop off things, then quick travel back to the family. I hate using it, it feels like I should be walking, but I'm so far away and am at my limit..and I just know in my gut I want to hang out to the lawn mower blades and vacuum cleaner...

mxmarks on
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    words.

I would say stay away from the mmo EVE or you seem like you'd have a nervous breakdown.

And I would say naked and covered with bobby pins is all you really need.

For hording, I got sick of quick travelling back and forth, and found that 1500lbs is a good number to drag around, mostly because I'm paranoid about losing my specialty power armour and I'm a fashion whore.

If it weren't for that, I think I would be good at using console to bring it up to about 800lbs. It's mostly the odds and ends that take up huge amounts for the schematic items, but also using up the assault and hunting rifles that you get like candy from killed super mutants to later sell off for spare cash/ammo.

As for me, I made the mistake of following my 'dad' all the way to rivet city. I didn't realise I could just let him run off on his own. Basically if the PP team was anything like him, I see why they had issues getting it going. His list of exploits just on this journey include:
    • Not a minute after leaving the vault, he runs at a pair of Yu Gaios
    • Heads straight into the centre of a raider camp
    • Walking by then running back INTO a super mutant camp of about 5-7 mutants and lord or whatever
    • Running through a mine field
    • Charging into a raider booby-trap filled apartment and setting off every imaginable trap
    • Going into a second apartment this time filled with super mutants where he then decides SCREW THIS STUPID GATLING LASER, I'm going to go hand to hand with them
    • Gets himself mauled by a death claw or three
    • Charges at the super mutant lord grand master that has a triple barrel laser rifle
    • Passes by a company of Talon Mercs just a little too closely
    • I seem to recall something unfortunate happening that involved mirelurks :c

I'm certain there were other even more stupid things he did on the trip, but I tried to block the worst of it out of my memory.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    leaf wrote: »
    words.
    shit talk about dad

Listen, did Dad die even once during those exploits? No, he did not. If the rest of Project Purity was as bad ass as Dad before he
    stepped into the weirdly deadly chamber of death
    , they'd never have needed the BoS.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    I just beat The Pitt...do I still need spoiler tags?
    Anyways what a great ending. I tried being a good guy the whole way through which proved to be incredibly difficult. The further along I got the worse and worse my chosen path had become. All I wanted to do was free some slaves and cure a disease but in the end I kidnapped a child, murders a man wife, killed an ex-BoS member who actually ran a successful city, and led the uprising of the slaves which resulted in hundreds of dead. All that because Wherner wanted revenge or was just an ass.

Also the way the city was run and how it was unfolded was great. The slaves hated their job because they were slaves and the lowest in the caste system. The raiders (or whatever the next level is) thought their job was harder than the slaves and didn't think they had it any better. Then at the top the leader was constantly threatened with assassins and protecting his family and a lot of the same hardships the rest faced. No one really has it that good.

That is all pretty deep for a video game and a lot better than the other quest choices where you either kill and rape 40 children or save them.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    ZulkirZulkir Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

No timed quests, as was stated, but be aware that certain npcs have a tendency to wander way the fuck off from where you left them (scroll to "Finding Bryan")

Gloves:

Fisto

and

The Deathclaw Gauntlet are the only two that matter.

Zulkir on
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    deowolf wrote: »
    words.
    shit talk about dad

Listen, did Dad die even once during those exploits? No, he did not. If the rest of Project Purity was as bad ass as Dad before he

Hey dad died like twice during that, and I lost track of the number of my own deaths trying to rush in and get the swarms of crap off him!

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    I just beat The Pitt...do I still need spoiler tags?
    Anyways what a great ending. I tried being a good guy the whole way through which proved to be incredibly difficult. The further along I got the worse and worse my chosen path had become. All I wanted to do was free some slaves and cure a disease but in the end I kidnapped a child, murders a man wife, killed an ex-BoS member who actually ran a successful city, and led the uprising of the slaves which resulted in hundreds of dead. All that because Wherner wanted revenge or was just an ass.

Also the way the city was run and how it was unfolded was great. The slaves hated their job because they were slaves and the lowest in the caste system. The raiders (or whatever the next level is) thought their job was harder than the slaves and didn't think they had it any better. Then at the top the leader was constantly threatened with assassins and protecting his family and a lot of the same hardships the rest faced. No one really has it that good.

That is all pretty deep for a video game and a lot better than the other quest choices where you either kill and rape 40 children or save them.

Side shit.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I dont know how all of you have done it. I am absolutely freaking out over this game. I feel like it needs to break me, and then I'll really enjoy it. I love it, but as Ive made painfully obvious, I have NEVER played ANYTHING like this (Oblivion and I didnt get along...), and I just can not figure out what to do. I have a strong feeling it will be like Dead Rising, where I just dont understand and get kinda ticked off, and suddenly I start to play by its rules and love the thing to death.

I just needed to use the "Where the fuck is the family?" spoiler in the OP because I couldnt figure out why my map wanted me to go to the super market. Once in the tunnel, a million rats came and killed me, because I have no ammo left. I'm also CONSTANTLY overburdened as I feel like I need to be carrying one of everything because WHO KNOWS WHEN ILL NEED IT! I found a workbench, to use the stuff, but I have no schematics.

The lack of any sort of explanation as to what I need this stuff for, and what it does, bothers me, but at the same time, I get it. I like it. I'm living in this wasteland, and why do I feel compelled to keep every ashtray I find?

So I guess now I'm going to just dick around and try to find ways to earn money to buy better ammo and guns, and then go find the family, because I am horridly unprepared right now. I got a minigun off a super mutant, but its broken and I have no way (and not enough caps) to repair it. I may just keep helping that lady write her book for now, to build up supplies.

I hope Im not bothering anyone with these posts about how new this is to me, when all of you are looking forward to expansions 4 and 5. I just honestly have never played in such an open world sandbox that it's still a bit jarring to me how I literally just have to figure this shit out on my own. The guy wants Sugar Bombs, and there's no little pop up of "SUGAR BOMBS HERE!" Its a great big world, and I best start looking, I guess.

Actually it's kind of delightful to hear about your experiences with Fallout 3, especially given it's your first open world RPG. Don't worry; once you get into the swing of things it'll become much easier. Just stay away from the DC ruins until you've got some levels under your belt. 10 or so would be favorite given the kind of combat you'll encounter.

What are your major skills? If you want Big Guns, I might suggest getting the Rock-It Launcher schematics from Moira; it does excellent damage early on, though it's a bit finicky. Also, definitely persevere with the Wasteland Survival Guide quest. It's actually a fairly neat tutorial of sorts for the Capital Wasteland, and it'll get you some quite decent rewards fairly early.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It is really hard to get over the fact that, even though it's a post-apocalyptic wasteland, you shouldn't take everything you can find

Early on, when you're scrounging around in ruined houses for food and supplies, it's hard to not take everything that's not nailed down

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    deowolf wrote: »
    words.
    shit talk about dad

Hey dad died like twice during that, and I lost track of the number of my own deaths trying to rush in and get the swarms of crap off him!

You let your dad die? You bastard. You know, he brought you into this world...

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I wash my hands of Tenpenny tower. I think this place was designed with the sandman perk in mind. I'll be back for you all later.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm curious, help me out on this, regarding Burke and Tenpenny:
    I was offered the job of arming the bomb and going off to Tenpenny to watch it blow. Rather than tell Burke either of those options, I selected the Black Widow option... (I can't remember what it was), so instead, he said "You wait here, I'll come back with another job/offer" or something similar. Since then, I've been out questing and whatnot, and never heard from Burke again.

What do I do? I did accidently tell Simms that Burke wanted to blow the place up. Is there a special Black Widow-related quest now if I find Burke (probably at Tenpenny)?

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I was offered the job of arming the bomb and going off to Tenpenny to watch it blow. Rather than tell Burke either of those options, I selected the Black Widow option... (I can't remember what it was), so instead, he said "You wait here, I'll come back with another job/offer" or something similar. Since then, I've been out questing and whatnot, and never heard from Burke again.

What do I do? I did accidently tell Simms that Burke wanted to blow the place up. Is there a special Black Widow-related quest now if I find Burke (probably at Tenpenny)?

I've never taken the Black Widow perk, so I can't be any help with that situation. But as far as Burke and Simms goes. . .
    I'm pretty sure that if you rat Burke out you miss your chance to do the quest. On my first game I ratted him out, and Simms went into the saloon to confront him, and Burke murdered him and left town.

I would assume your only option at this point is disarming the bomb, since you've already started down the "good path" by ratting him out.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »

I've never taken the Black Widow perk, so I can't be any help with that situation. But as far as Burke and Simms goes. . .
    I'm pretty sure that if you rat Burke out you miss your chance to do the quest. On my first game I ratted him out, and Simms went into the saloon to confront him, and Burke murdered him and left town.

Holy hell, I didn't know that could happen. It's amazing how many different outcomes to a single quest. Just for fun, I disabled the bomb anyway, and got the credit and karma for the quest. Then, shortly after, I took a bath and gulped down a great amount of that radiated water around it... for Moira :P

I'm curious what'll happen when I find Burke. He doesn't technically know I ratted him out because he'd already left town with the Black Widow response, but he left me on a positive note. I'll trek to Tenpenny and find out what's up. Can I get a 2nd house? I have one in Megaton, can I have one in Tenpenny as well?

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    It is really hard to get over the fact that, even though it's a post-apocalyptic wasteland, you shouldn't take everything you can find

Early on, when you're scrounging around in ruined houses for food and supplies, it's hard to not take everything that's not nailed down

Yeah, I went through exactly the same thing. The world's a goddamn wasteland... who knows what could help me out? But once I started stashing everything useful in my locker in Megaton, things got a hell of a lot easier.

Speaking of newbie experiences, I thought I'd share mine.

"Schematic for a Nuka-Grenade, made from... cola, detergent and turpentine? Great, sounds like it'll just be the equivalent of a frag grenade, and I've already got a ton of those weighing me down. Guess I'll just toss it at that pack of raiders just to get rid of this piece of cra--
    (picks self up ground) Did that guy's head just sail a quarter of a mile away?"

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I need me that schematic then! I'm explosives/melee right now so grenades are my solution to ranged enemies. Especially since I'm running XFO and any kind of damage is life threatening to me.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Awesome - thanks for the advice. Quick question -

When I leave stuff places, will it stay there? I dropped some things off just on the ground in the super market, and noticed last time I checked it was still there, but wasn't sure if it was something like once I shut off the XBox it forgets. I may quick travel back to Megaton and my house to drop off things, then quick travel back to the family. I hate using it, it feels like I should be walking, but I'm so far away and am at my limit..and I just know in my gut I want to hang out to the lawn mower blades and vacuum cleaner...

This is very important to note: No it will not. Especially if you leave it in random containers, but probably out on the ground too. The only safe place to put stuff is in your house.

freakish light on
  • Options
    IDDQDIDDQD Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I haven't personally tested leaving items on the ground, but I can attest that leaving items in containers will persist after you shut down/zone/etc. Before I got my house in Megaton on my first character I used the home of a ghoul I discovered in the sewers (had a ton of nuka cola paraphernalia and a room full of useful custom weapons materials). All of the items I placed in those containers persisted.

IDDQD on
    Live: Flynnt Loch | PSN: FlynntLoch | Steam: flynnt_loch
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Holy hell, I didn't know that could happen. It's amazing how many different outcomes to a single quest. Just for fun, I disabled the bomb anyway, and got the credit and karma for the quest. Then, shortly after, I took a bath and gulped down a great amount of that radiated water around it... for Moira :P

I'm curious what'll happen when I find Burke. He doesn't technically know I ratted him out because he'd already left town with the Black Widow response, but he left me on a positive note. I'll trek to Tenpenny and find out what's up. Can I get a 2nd house? I have one in Megaton, can I have one in Tenpenny as well?

Answered my own question at the Vault wiki
    You can talk Burke in Megaton into leaving with you and getting someone else to blow up the bomb, pay you double to do the job, or to give up on the bomb entirely.

There's even a dialogue somewhere to talk someone into a threesome.

huh.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    IDDQD wrote: »
    I haven't personally tested leaving items on the ground, but I can attest that leaving items in containers will persist after you shut down/zone/etc. Before I got my house in Megaton on my first character I used the home of a ghoul I discovered in the sewers (had a ton of nuka cola paraphernalia and a room full of useful custom weapons materials). All of the items I placed in those containers persisted.

They'll probably stick around for a while, but there's even a warning in the manual against doing this, because you never know when they'll get reset. I'm just saying it's not really a substitute for a proper house in the long term.

freakish light on
  • Options
    IDDQDIDDQD Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh for sure, once you actually get a house all of that becomes a moot point. Absolutely a short-term fix if not perfect.

IDDQD on
    Live: Flynnt Loch | PSN: FlynntLoch | Steam: flynnt_loch
  • Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    IDDQD wrote: »

They'll probably stick around for a while, but there's even a warning in the manual against doing this, because you never know when they'll get reset. I'm just saying it's not really a substitute for a proper house in the long term.

I tried this out for several weeks in a mailbox in Springvale, never lost a single thing as far as I could tell. It was a hell of a mission lugging that all to Tenpenny when I blew up Megaton (I decided to do a packrat run and see if I could deloot the world, it's an ongoing project >.>)

Junpei on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2009
    Leave stuff on the floor if you're going to leave it anywhere. I left stuff outside the vault that stayed there for the whole game. NEVER leave stuff in random containers.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I only just learned of the reverse-pickpocket.

Haha... Place a frag grenade into someone's pocket, then back up and watch as they freak out, pat their legs wondering what just happened, then explode :D

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Man Im starting to get this game.

I decided to just do my own thing for a bit, and get better weapons and ammo before going back for the Family, so I loaded up my locker and bummed around in Megaton. Holy shit - I had my first "this game is ALIVE" moment at the water purification plant.
    I catch Leo Stahl in there, acting kinda weird, and figured he worked there - I had never seen the plant before. But something just seemed off, so I followed him, back to the Brass Kettle or whatever. I snooped around and found stuff on the computers about his drawer coming up empty, which let me start asking his siblings questions, which led me to the doctor.

Long story short, I got Leo clean. Holy fuck that was AWESOME.

So after that I decided to do the Minefield thing for that woman's book. I stumbled onto the school, and spent TWO HOURS exploring it. Then shut the game off for the night. I am LOVING that a trek across this world is actually taking me MULTIPLE days in REAL LIFE.

I'm still a bit unclear about when/where I'll find schematics, and I found some books (Chineese Stealth book in the school) that I read that gave me skills, and am kinda figuring it out as I go, like I would in a real wasteland apocalypse. Im also constantly reminding myself Im only a level 5, and that the cool shit more than likely just isn't open to me yet.

mxmarks on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Man Im starting to get this game.

I decided to just do my own thing for a bit, and get better weapons and ammo before going back for the Family...

Re: The Family

Gearing up for them is really dependant on how you're playing.

If you're making a "good" character, then you really shouldn't worry much about preparing for them. The biggest issue is making it to them, be wary of lots of traps. Their opinion of you is entirely based on your reactions to them.

If you're going evil and have a personal vendetta against them, then weapons may be a good idea. I haven't tried it yet, but when I do, I imagine it'll be a challenge.

Lots of people have surprisingly soft and fuzzy sides, once you get to know them :)

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man, say what you want about the "Those!" quest, but it was one of the most tense quests for me in the game.
    Just traversing through those dank, dark subway tunnels and passes, in tight corners full of fire-breathing ants, never knowing exactly where one was put me on edge. I was running low on ammo (I think I left with half a clip of CAR ammo and some 10mm ammo), knocking junk around which made me jump, everything just made me so nervous. I actually jumped when I opened a door and that crazy doctor was standing there.

Also, the Tenpenny Tower quest was the only quest where I killed in a cold-blooded, pre-meditated manner with my first play through.
    Screw Roy and Michael or whatever their names were, hypocritical, self-serving bastards.

Actually, I take that back. I also killed almost everyone in Paradise Falls.

Edit:

About the Family:
    I got the impression that except for their leader, most of the Family was actually pretty deranged.

never die on