As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Character Customization in Games

l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Games and Technology
So Lost Planet 2 was announced, and having been left a bit cold by the first one, didn't have much interest in it. Now I read that you can change your character's appearance, from gender and clothes all the way down to the gestures they use ingame. Suddenly I have to have a copy.

This has been a running theme for me. RPG's aren't about grinding up to get the best possible weapons and getting my level up to snuff; it's about finding the right pair of gloves to go with my armor so I can walk around feeling like a champion. Any game with face sliders guarantees I'll spend at least a few hours fine tuning the bridge of my character's nose. Saint's Row, Def Jam....I even spent most of my time grinding in WoW not for levels or prepping for raids, but because with a few more pieces of leather, I could make a pair of boots and CHANGE THEIR COLOR.

So what about you? Is the ability to decide whether your character has a beard or not a draw for you? Do unlockable outfits ever make a bad game bearable? And what do you consider an example of this sort of thing done right or wrong?

l337CrappyJack on

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's not a major thing for me, to be honest it's a nice feature, but not really something I'd miss if it weren't there.

Mass Effect was probably one of the better examples of a character maker. Apart from the really naff hair (most of the time it just seemed as if it was a separate entity existing on the head, or maybe that was just me), it was actually possible to make decent-to-good looking characters. It made sense in a game like ME since you were always seeing your character's face in conversations and cutscenes, so it was seamlessly integrated. In Fallout 3 you almost never saw your character's face except for occasionally in VATS combat, and even there you usually had hat, helmet and glasses obscuring things and making you look just as generic as the rest of the guys.

Plus in ME they gave you the option to keep the helmet off for most of the game so you could see yourself. That was a good decision.

subedii on
  • Options
    KKprofitKKprofit Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I like in games where you can customize your equipment. I dislike when customized equipment is in almost every way inferior to non customized equipment, which is almost always.

MMOs are the worst offenders. You tend to have an outfit that looks good... and one that has the stats you need. It seems to me that the outfit you lovingly customize should have better stats than something you found on a dead body.

KKprofit on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    To be honest it's one of the reasons why I got rock band over guitar hero:WT.

WT looks so ugly compared to rock band.

Plus chainsaw guitars yeeeeaaaah.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I have been known to not only purchase games with such features partially or primarily because of them, but to actually go shopping for games with these features.

Yeah, I'm weird.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    yalborap wrote: »
    I have been known to not only purchase games with such features partially or primarily because of them, but to actually go shopping for games with these features.

Yeah, I'm weird.

You're not alone.

The worst part is, I have yet to find so much as a blog that caters to pointing out this kind of thing. Costume Get, maybe, but that guy updates maybe ten times a year.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    yalborap wrote: »

Yeah, I'm weird.

You're not alone.

The worst part is, I have yet to find so much as a blog that caters to pointing out this kind of thing. Costume Get, maybe, but that guy updates maybe ten times a year.

I'm amazed there even is a blog dedicated to this. Then again, there's a blog for everything these days.

subedii on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So Lost Planet 2 was announced, and having been left a bit cold by the first one, didn't have much interest in it. Now I read that you can change your character's appearance, from gender and clothes all the way down to the gestures they use ingame. Suddenly I have to have a copy.

This has been a running theme for me. RPG's aren't about grinding up to get the best possible weapons and getting my level up to snuff; it's about finding the right pair of gloves to go with my armor so I can walk around feeling like a champion. Any game with face sliders guarantees I'll spend at least a few hours fine tuning the bridge of my character's nose. Saint's Row, Def Jam....I even spent most of my time grinding in WoW not for levels or prepping for raids, but because with a few more pieces of leather, I could make a pair of boots and CHANGE THEIR COLOR.

So what about you? Is the ability to decide whether your character has a beard or not a draw for you? Do unlockable outfits ever make a bad game bearable? And what do you consider an example of this sort of thing done right or wrong?
    Well, you are not alone in this. I'm notorious for playing dress up with my RPG characters. That's one of the reasons why I usually have such problem with JRPG's since they usually hardlock you into a certain character with the same visual look for an entire game. I like to be able to play around with my characters looks once in a while when I get bored of how they look.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Silpheed wrote: »

Well, you are not alone in this. I'm notorious for playing dress up with my RPG characters. That's one of the reasons why I usually have such problem with JRPG's since they usually hardlock you into a certain character with the same visual look for an entire game. I like to be able to play around with my characters looks once in a while when I get bored of how they look.

Precisely.

You are all familiar with Phantasy Star Online, yes? In the latest game of that style, Phantasy Star Portable, I quite possibly spend more time shopping for new clothes than I do shopping for new giant energy swords and laser cannons.

yalborap on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Most any wrestling game I have ever played I rarely actually "played" I just made wrestlers with badass costumes, moves, music, what-have-you. In RPGs and any game that has custom characters I will spend way to much time perfecting my guy/gal.

Hell, even in games that are first person, like Fallout 3 for example. You will rarely ever actually see what your guy looks like unless you go third person and turn on the "vanity" cam, but you can bet your bottom dollar I spent a long time making sure my guy/gal's face and hair were perfect. Plus I would often wear a combination of clothes to make my character look cool, even at the expense of armor.

Fable II was another game in which I searched the world over for new pieces of clothing, then mixing and matching them till I find a combo that I thought looked cool.

edit-

Even in Front Mission 3 I spent a ton of time painting my Wanzers and naming them.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    DusT_HounDDusT_HounD Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, i'm with you guys on this one. I even like how having different weapons in Powder changes your appearance, in spite of your character being only a few pixels high...

I also always wish that in games like Castlevania you could get the armours and stuff to actually make your character look different (AXE doesn't count). Like, the last time i saw that sort of thing was probably SotN, where you could get that cape which could be changed.

Oh yeah, and i'm SO gonna grab a Phantasy Star Portable...

DusT_HounD on
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I love character customization in my games, but, for reasons I don't fully understand, I've never seen customized character match the intricacies of non-customized characters.

In a lot of games it doesn't really matter (PSO). But in RPGs and fighting games, the other characters (usually) reveal some glimmer of emotion and personality in their speech and actions. Yet I always feel as if the created characters look more like an actor playing a role.

Maybe it's just my imagination, or maybe it's just because I know that I created them and can't quite forget that. I'd love to see developers continue to work on it, though!

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    I love character customization in my games, but, for reasons I don't fully understand, I've never seen customized character match the intricacies of non-customized characters.

In a lot of games it doesn't really matter (PSO). But in RPGs and fighting games, the other characters (usually) reveal some glimmer of emotion and personality in their speech and actions. Yet I always feel as if the created characters look more like an actor playing a role.

Maybe it's just my imagination, or maybe it's just because I know that I created them and can't quite forget that. I'd love to see developers continue to work on it, though!

So you never played Mass Effect then? We're getting there, most devs are just too lazy to put that kind of effort in when 90% of the time you'll be looking at the back of your character's head rather than the front.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's a big thing for me and I agree that often the games with the most options (WoW for example) are so stat based that everyone ends up in the same stuff.

Fable 2 tried to tackle this with no stats on armour, but then they didn't offer much choice either.

Single Player dungeon crawlers tend to do this well as you don't need to min / max as much to be competetive as its solo, Titan Quest had good loot but you could not change the look of your guy much.

Guild Wars had a good system imho, dyes and the like.

My big hope for MW2 is that you can customise your soldiers gear and uniform for MP so I can dress like a mad Spetsnaz type all the time. Would make Team deathmatch odd if your all in different kit I guess...

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2009
    Some MMOs (like LotRO) have cosmetic slots you can put gear in that overrides the gear you actually have equipped. So you can have a clown suit for gear and still look good.

Echo on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Conquer Online has this system, be warned it's a horribly grind oriented game and free to play pay to win, but it has dyes and custom armors that don't add any stats that go over your normal armor.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I probably spent more time making characters in City of Heroes than I ever did playing them.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2009
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I probably spent more time making characters in City of Heroes than I ever did playing them.

This describes the last free weekend I tried. :P

Echo on
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I always fiddle with character creation and I find that if I am not wholly satisfied with my character I become rather deflated some ways into the game and ask, "Who am I?" In a very Zoolander-esque fashion. I find MMORPGs tend to have decent customization, but I love it when RPGs offer me the chance to customize, such as Tactics (renaming units leads to lols with friends ... and great job system) or Legend of Mana (what can't you customize in that shite?) and well ... the list goes on, but a good character system is the backbone of many fantasy games.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Holy shit: WWF No Mercy for the N64. There were tons of costume options but even more surprising was the ability to customize the animations for every one of your moves. I don't know if any newer games have done this but the ability to pick each animation individually really let you customize how a character played as well as how he looked.

Smurph on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Smurph wrote: »
    Holy shit: WWF No Mercy for the N64. There were tons of costume options but even more surprising was the ability to customize the animations for every one of your moves. I don't know if any newer games have done this but the ability to pick each animation individually really let you customize how a character played as well as how he looked.

Unecessary showboating taunts and breakdance idle movements ... should be mandatory in every game.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I agree, but on the flip side, I've been turned off by plenty of games that force you to play as GENERIC PROTAGONIST, and then have him be silent the whole game anyway. The Ghostbusters game has me worried about this, since from what I hear, your character barely interacts with the cast and just runs around with them shooting stuff. Then from screenshots, he looks to be about the blandest motherfucker alive.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    Mass Effect was probably one of the better examples of a character maker. Apart from the really naff hair (most of the time it just seemed as if it was a separate entity existing on the head, or maybe that was just me), it was actually possible to make decent-to-good looking characters.

But only if they were female. I tried, and I couldn't make a male character that didn't look like a generic scarred action hero.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    QuetzatcoatlQuetzatcoatl Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I was so disappointed by Fable's 2 clothing and tatoo options.

The character adapted really well to how you chose your skill points and your evil/good and corrupt/pure scales. Too bad there were only like two or three good looking clothing options per slot and the rest made you look way too fat. The monk outfit was the worse offender, there is no way anyone looked good in it. At least there were a lot of dyes.

Quetzatcoatl on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Character Customization is really important for me in many games. If a game has CC, then I'll probably play it to death. And yeah I spent probably hours on City of Heroes just making chars... I'm not very creative, but it's much more fun than "pick a face, hair style, hair color... done."

urahonky on
  • Options
    WembleyWembley Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Venkman90 wrote: »

*snip

Guild Wars had a good system imho, dyes and the like.

*snip*

I would argue that Guild Wars system was not a good system for customization. I agree that the dyes do help somewhat, but the armor choices for each class were extremely limited. There was always the set of armor that was the best you could get for that area of the game. There were a few different sets for each class that made for some customization based on your character's skill, but the reality was that at any point in time, any character of a given class was wearing one of two or three different sets of armor. It was one of the very few things I didn't like about this game.

Wembley on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Give me CoD 4 (or any modern combat game), and throw in online character customisation. Camo gear, weapon attachents, hair/skin colour, uniforms, goggles, backpacks, etc.

Sold. So hard.

Edit: But make it damn well free, much less a subscription-based thing. What the hell, EA/Dice?

Suriko on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Rainbow Six Vegas 2 allows what you're asking for Suriko.

urahonky on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I could never get the character maker in mass effect to do right. If you're making a woman it's fine, just about anything looks OK, but making a dude just doesn't look right for some reason. Every time I tried to make a custom character it ended up looking old enough to be Shep's dad. He's just supposed to be 29, but most of the presets end up looking more like 39. The haircuts kind of sucked too.

Fallout 3 had the same problem - your character is supposed to be a teenager but ends up looking closer to 30.

Duffel on
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I like cool gear.
    Customizing my character's appearance is somewhat important, but given half the time peoples faces are hidden behind masks/helmets customizing starting appearance isn't critical to me.

I like having sets of gear. I have a Pvp set, 2 pve sets and some nostalgia stuff. I think it would be cool if you could wear anti-undead sets or resist sets. I am a little disappointed that it is not really worthwhile wear a frost resist set against a frost boss.

Dman on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Whenever I play a MMO, the #1 factor that determines the class/gender/race I'll play is aesthetics, much in the same way the MMO itself attracted me because it had deep customization. It is a very important factor to me.
    It's also one of the reasons I like Rock Band better than Guitar Hero. RB's characters are awesome, it's like a "Make your own Pixar character" generator. Love it!
    I always spend a huge deal of time in games like Mass Effect, Fallout 3, Oblivion, perhaps an hour or so, just to make sure the character looks the best I can make him (or her) look.

In Guild Wars, even before it was useful for the Hall Of Monuments, I was collecting elite armors for my Mesmer and dying them around. I wanted to fight other players with the character that looked the best.

So yes, character customization is something VERY important to me in a game, and I wish more MMO devs took it more seriously, like some people said in here before me, by letting our cool custom armors be as good, if not better, than gear sets.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I loved the facegen in Mass Effect, and I loved that you were able to "play" a character as well. Of course, the fact that aesthetically there were only three different suits of armor left me a little cold. I know, I know, badass space heroes wear armor, but there could be a LITTLE room for making the different brands look a little unique. Though I do give them infinite credit for allowing you to toggle the helmet. That's just plain nice of Bioware.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    subedii wrote: »
    Mass Effect was probably one of the better examples of a character maker. Apart from the really naff hair (most of the time it just seemed as if it was a separate entity existing on the head, or maybe that was just me), it was actually possible to make decent-to-good looking characters.

But only if they were female. I tried, and I couldn't make a male character that didn't look like a generic scarred action hero.

I don't know, I liked the guy I managed to make. Don't know whether you'd call him action movie material or anything, but then again, this is an action heavy game anyway.
    Spectre1.jpg

subedii on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I agree that gear is important too. I hate it when RPGs make you wear shit-stained leather armor for the first third of the game. I understand that the coolest gear should come near the end but I shouldn't have to look like a farmer, especially if I'm only controlling one character. Let me look at least decent from the start. It sucks when you can't take your own PC seriously.

Smurph on
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is there anyone who really enjoys super in-depth character creation systems like the one in Oblivion? I love character creation, but I really didn't need to be able to customize my character's cheekbones.

Also, why is that so many people seem to view character creation as a tool to make other characters? Like in City of Heroes or Soul Calibur, so many people seem to gravitate towards creating other famous super heroes, or creating characters from other fighting games. I can see how it would be fun, but I wonder why it's the main thing people want to do.

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Is there anyone who really enjoys super in-depth character creation systems like the one in Oblivion? I love character creation, but I really didn't need to be able to customize my character's cheekbones.

Also, why is that so many people seem to view character creation as a tool to make other characters? Like in City of Heroes or Soul Calibur, so many people seem to gravitate towards creating other famous super heroes, or creating characters from other fighting games. I can see how it would be fun, but I wonder why it's the main thing people want to do.

In Oblivion, I generally clicked random until I got something close and then worked from there. There was a similar system in EQ2 that I used rather extensively because each subsection didn't have 1,000 more subsections. It was "Cheeks ... fat or thin? high or low?" and it got on with it.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I'm pissed they haven't added dyes to WoW. It seems so lazy not to add the ability to customize the colors.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

So those dudes are unoriginal. Or maybe want to see if they can, or as practice. Or simply want to make an homage. Who cares what they do? Question is what can you achieve with it?

subedii on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    From what I understand the Oblivion face gen was ported from some commercial face modeling tool. It had a ton of options but if you didn't know what you were doing it could be hard to make a normal looking person. I wish it just had a "make this face look more normal" button.

Smurph on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Smurph wrote: »
    I agree that gear is important too. I hate it when RPGs make you wear shit-stained leather armor for the first third of the game. I understand that the coolest gear should come near the end but I shouldn't have to look like a farmer, especially if I'm only controlling one character. Let me look at least decent from the start. It sucks when you can't take your own PC seriously.
    Dungeon siege was extremely bad for this. You spend the the first half of the game carrying such impressive-sounding equipment as "chipped mace", "dented armor", or "shitty axe". What's really ridiculous is when some of these items are magical and you get names like, "Shitty Axe of the Hawk". Hell, I was several hours into the game before I even got something that resembled a sword; they make you spend way too long wielding stuff like brooms and bone clubs.

Duffel on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Age of Conan's character creation really is fantastic, besides the fact that the smallest size breasts on women are "Rockmelon" and no one can technically be a fatty for novelty sake.

Saints Row 2 on the other hand...

Waka Laka on