As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Using your 360 HD on a friend's 360

AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
Long story short, my 360 E-74'd me, sent it off. Wanting my Halo fix.

Any potential problems in borrowing my friend's 360, bringing it over, popping my HD in and playing Halo?

XBL: Flex MythoMass
AuburnTiger on

• Options
    edited May 2009
    Anyone?

AuburnTiger on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This is possible.

Works fine.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah. You should be able to swap it out. They could not sell drives if it was bound to a certain box. Essentially, you are carrying your account to another machine. I do wonder, however, if it would cause problems if you buy a game through it. I would avoid that, just in case.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited May 2009
    It will work fine, I have a friend who brings his HD around to friends' houses to play his DLC or just use his save games for some of his games that he brings with him as well. It's pretty much today's equivalent of taking your memory card out of one machine and using it in another,.

edit: also DLC is coded to the Console ID and your Live ID. Only one of these has to be valid, so if you buy DLC on your friend's 360 with your Live ID on your HD, you will have to be logged into Live for it to work on your 360 when you get it back.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I've done it before without problems. In almost all cases, online Xbox 360s are nearly interchangeable if you swap the hard drives.

That being said, I would avoid buying anything. That shouldn't be too hard.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I've done it before without problems. In almost all cases, online Xbox 360s are nearly interchangeable if you swap the hard drives.

That being said, I would avoid buying anything. That shouldn't be too hard.

This post is truth. Bolding the important part.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sort of a related question, I haven't had a 360 in over a year, but if I buy another and renew my Live subscription, will everything I downloaded and paid for before be available to download again free of charge if I use the same ID?

Esh on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Esh wrote: »
    Sort of a related question, I haven't had a 360 in over a year, but if I buy another and renew my Live subscription, will everything I downloaded and paid for before be available to download again free of charge if I use the same ID?

Yep. It'll be tied to your original gamertag and your original console. If you go to your download history, you'll be able to see everything you've purchased and re-download it.

There's a DRM tool online that will allow you to transfer the license from your old console to your new console as well, so you won't have to be signed into Live to access your stuff. I don't know the address offhand, though.

AuburnTiger on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Unless it's no longer available.

God damn Dropkick Murphys free pack being taken down from XBL for GH3 after I wiped out my HDD by mistake.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Unless it's no longer available.

God damn Dropkick Murphys free pack being taken down from XBL for GH3 after I wiped out my HDD by mistake.

You should still be able to download it from your download history on xbox.com. The DRM tool is at xbox.com/drm, by the way.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    what kills me is now that i'm offline and on a friend's box, i can't use all my map packs for various games

*sigh* atleast i still got L4D survival mode

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Okay, so this seems like the XBL questions thread, now.

At one point, I had Hexic HD on my system. I think it came with the Hard Drive I bought with my Arcade Unit. I played it for 5 minutes, and got one achievement. Now, I want to add to that one achievement, but cannot play the game, and cannot find it on Marketplace to download it. I guess it was discontinued or something since Hexic 2 came out. Is there any way I can get this game back, or am I SOL because I didn't actually download it?

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    DolbyDigitalDolbyDigital Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Funny. I have the same situation. Last of the people I know to get RROD'd.

I believe the games you have ripped to your HD will not run off your HD when it is on a different console. It will run off the Disc.

I will look for this link to transfer your license to new consoles, as I will want to do this too. I don't want to have to be online to access my stuffs once I get my new unit.

By the way, I am in Canada. They replace units here, as opposed to refurbing, right? Does that mean I will get a Falcon, or newer chipset? I have an Elite from '07 now.

<Edit>

Found the link:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/licensemigration/faq.htm

</Edit>

<Edit2>

Neat video of the Major explaining how to do the transfer:

http://www.xbox.com/NR/rdonlyres/D42744BA-71F6-4710-B397-FEF9D7A49802/0/vidlicenseTransferNXEHi.asx

HOWEVER I just read that if you have your XBOX repaired, the license transfer is part of the repair process, so you don't have to do it in this case. You do, however, need to REDOWNLOAD ALL OF YOUR ARCADE GAMES AND DLC. That is a huge pain in the ass....

</Edit2>

DolbyDigital on
    XBOX Live: xSUPERBUCKx (formerly BuckySuperJew - MS made me change it)
    PSN: BuckySuperJew

Spoiler'd GamerCards
    xSUPERBUCKx.pngcard5.png
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

At one point, I had Hexic HD on my system. I think it came with the Hard Drive I bought with my Arcade Unit. I played it for 5 minutes, and got one achievement. Now, I want to add to that one achievement, but cannot play the game, and cannot find it on Marketplace to download it. I guess it was discontinued or something since Hexic 2 came out. Is there any way I can get this game back, or am I SOL because I didn't actually download it?

Why can't you play the game? Did you delete it?

Hexic 1 was never on Marketplace. You only got it by buying a hard drive. If you deleted it, you'll have to get on to MS support and wrangle with them to get a code for it. I did it, and it was surprisingly painless. Other people have done it and given up after months. There's a gigantic thread on the Xbox forums about it.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Willeth wrote: »

Why can't you play the game? Did you delete it?

Hexic 1 was never on Marketplace. You only got it by buying a hard drive. If you deleted it, you'll have to get on to MS support and wrangle with them to get a code for it. I did it, and it was surprisingly painless. Other people have done it and given up after months. There's a gigantic thread on the Xbox forums about it.

I must have deleted it, cause I sure don't have it anymore. So, I can try and fight MS for it? Geez. It's Hexic. Not sure if I care that much. Thanks for the info.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018