As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Vintage table - finish problem

wallabeeXwallabeeX Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I recently bought a 1950's Danish table off of Craigslist in the greater Los Angeles area. It's a beautiful piece of furniture, and it really fits the space we put it in. That said, my room-mates had a bunch of guys over last night and ordered a bunch of pizza, which was put on the table. Once the pizza was gone, we went to throw the boxes away to find that they were stuck to the table - as my room-mate pulled the box off the table, so did some of the finish. Now we've got a table that's very clean and shiny except for the spot where the "peeling" happened - it's all matte.

I'm assuming there's some sort of product that helps a problem like this - what do you use to fix this?

wallabeeX on

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm assuming it is a hardwood table? Is the wood stained? If the stain (color) hasn't been damaged, it shouldn't be too hard. Get some fine grit sandpaper and lightly sand the area and then reapply some varnish to the area. If the stain has been damaged it will be harder as you will most likely want to refinish the entire surface so that it looks uniform.

Typically whenever I've had to do this though I've redone the entire surface of the table just for uniformity's sake.

Simpsonia on
  • wallabeeXwallabeeX Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah. My father's a woodworker, so obviously I dropped him a line.

His concern is just matching the finish - your "do the whole thing" approach is something he suggested. Aside from that, we've contacted the guy that sold us the table so he can tell us what he finished it with before we bought it. It'd only been a couple of days old, and there's a good chance that it hasn't fully set yet in the past two weeks. Though I'd assume that'd be plenty of time ..

wallabeeX on