Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Name That Film! [Found - "Ryan"]

BoomShakeBoomShake Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
From what I've seen, you guys are great at figuring out films for people.

For context, I watched Waking Life last night and it reminded me of this scene from somewhere I can't remember.

I think it was 3d animated or rotoscoped or something. These two guys are talking across from each other at a table in some public place, like a cafeteria. They were having a pretty deep conversation about life, possibly also work and retirement. I think one was an old artist. The artist (?) guy's head is disintegrating throughout the conversation, looking a lot like an apple core. I think some of the other people in there had trippy stuff going on with them as well time progressed.

I can't for the life of me remember where it's from. I'm pretty sure it was part of an actual film, but there's a nonzero probability it was something online. Sorry for being so vague.

BoomShake on

• rocketshipreadyrocketshipready Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    A Scanner Darkly? Sounds like the diner scene in the beginning.

• BoomShakeBoomShake Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yea, I scanned (har har) through A Scanner Darkly and couldn't find it. I know the scene you're talking about, but that's not it. From what I remember, it was more of a white school-type cafeteria.

• RericReric Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I feel like I have seen the movie you are talking about. I want to say it was a documentary on some artist/animator. Driving me crazy now that I can't recall. The animator may have done some animations of people walking?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    BoomShake wrote: »
    Yea, I scanned (har har) through A Scanner Darkly and couldn't find it. I know the scene you're talking about, but that's not it. From what I remember, it was more of a white school-type cafeteria.

Was it maybe the scene towards the end in the treatment facility?

camo_sig2.png
  • RericReric Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Booyah I found it! The video you are talking about is Ryan, video can be found here

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BoomShakeBoomShake Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Reric wrote: »
    I feel like I have seen the movie you are talking about. I want to say it was a documentary on some artist/animator. Driving me crazy now that I can't recall. The animator may have done some animations of people walking?

YES! Thank you for saying DOCUMENTARY. With some further searching with that, I have found it!

Ryan
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Ryan is a 2004 animated documentary by Chris Landreth about the influential Canadian animator Ryan Larkin, who in later years lived on skid row in Montreal following a history of drug and alcohol abuse.
    Ryan_DVD.jpg

Edit: Beat me to it :P

This discussion has been closed.