As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The New Comic Thread for Monday, May 4, 2009

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I've never enjoyed any video game versions of board games

they are meant to be played at a kitchen table with snacks and real dice

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Druhim wrote: »
    I tried the demo of Microsoft's Settlers of Catan but then when the demo expired I didn't feel it was worth $30

probably more fun as a physical board game with some friends and beer anyway.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Vann Diras wrote: »

The Trivial Pursuit game for 360 is fun with friends/couples.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    Spicy_RevSpicy_Rev Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Tried to play settlers. I got crushed and gave up. Big whoop, want to fight about it?

Risk is great, but there should be a way to monitor blood pressure throughout the game to ensure that no one reaches their boiling point too fast.

Spicy_Rev on
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Smart Hero wrote: »

Games are fun to play with people

Not robots

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    Risk, dumb?

Shenanigans!

jwalk, yeah we knew that but we liked making the game last longer. It didn't really change much just delayed the outcome.

Longer? Did you spend your entire childhood locked in a windowless room with three other people?

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    AMP'd wrote: »

Games are fun to play with people

Not robots

I beg to differ!

Rockem.gif

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I tried the demo of Microsoft's Settlers of Catan but then when the demo expired I didn't feel it was worth $30

The cost is huge if you want to play it on Live cause everyone needs the game. It's more fun in person cause everyone is in the same room and socializing and only one person has to own it for multiple people to enjoy it.

Javen on
  • Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    the difference between catan and monopoly (and its parker brothersy ilk) is that catan is actually a good game

games of monopoly can be really fun, but when they are it's generally because the people you're playing with are cool and not because the game itself is well designed. it's really not, although house rules can spice it up a lot and make it much better. for instance, some of my friends began mixing monopoly with poker, so that after a certain number of rolls had gone by everyone would take their monopoly money and gamble with it, then return to the game afterward. but then we played catan for the first time and promptly dropped monopoly altogether.

the things that make monopoly good are the ridiculous things that can happen when you start having to make deals with your friends, and aside from that the game is pretty damn boring. the awesome trading stuff is also present in catan, and catan is actually well-designed. it basically rocks.

redhead on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I always liked taking Europe early. It's not as easy to defend as North America, but it's an excellent position to be a complete asshole to basically everyone on the board.

Remember, it's not whether you win or lose, but how quickly you can get a coalition dedicated to your annihilation that counts.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I always liked taking Europe early. It's not as easy to defend as North America, but it's an excellent position to be a complete asshole to basically everyone on the board.

Remember, it's not whether you win or lose, but how quickly you can get a coalition dedicated to your annihilation that counts.

Whatever you say, Hitler

Javen on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Hey, that's not fair. Some of my best friends are untermenschen.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Been meaning to pick up the Dokapon games... just never got around to it.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited May 2009
    the australia gambit never works out for me

fucking siam

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Australia's only worth it if you can nail it within like the first two or three turns.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Australia has won the game for me before but has also cost me deerly. When I play risk now, australia isn't a top priority but I'll gladly try and take it if the oppourtunity comes along.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    the australia gambit never works out for me

fucking siam

Australian Gambit sounds like a more macho but equally as gay version as regular cajun Gambit.

Like all "Guhday mate, gunna throw some cards at ya and blow ya up"

Hunter on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009

probably more fun as a physical board game with some friends and beer anyway.
    well, it is multiplayer but I have no idea of how robust the community is
    and even if there was a strong player base, $30 still seems like too much

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Madagascar is the most important territory in Risk

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Australia has won the game for me before but has also cost me deerly. When I play risk now, australia isn't a top priority but I'll gladly try and take it if the oppourtunity comes along.

I tried to imagine this and it made me laugh.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I didn't laugh. I cried, for hours.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    Ness445Ness445 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    it cost him his weight in elk.

Ness445 on
    4445.gif
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Veal's deer isn't it?

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »

I was trying to come up with a suble pun but gave up

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

It's hard to caribou it

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I'm sure your next one will turn out. Take hart.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Veal's deer isn't it?

You're thinking of venison. Veal is tender, juicy baby cows.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009

So you're saying I should buck up?

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

So you're saying I should buck up?

Sure. Your sense of humor is just running a little be hind. Ruminant on it for a while and I'm sure you'll doe fine.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »
    Because if you don't you're a communist piece of shit

considering that the cash for free parking rule helps spread the wealth out among the players, and subverts the overall goal of a game based on capitalism, I'd say the opposite is true

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »
    I like to build my forces in Australia, then sweep across Eurasia leaving one man in each country

Do it right and build a "wall" between your new land and the other guy and you're safe

If you're the swept one, build your forces, punch through, and wipe out all those pissant holds he has on Asia

Australia is fool's gold.

You fool.

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Keep spreading the idea that Australia is win. It just makes my Madagascar Plan more effective.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Asia is impossible to keep a hold of. You spread your forces too thin and then you lose at least one country if not more before your next turn rolls around.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    yeah but see the thing is everyone is throwing their whole weight at that one country to remove your bonus that they might as well have just let you have those seven things

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Asia is impossible to keep a hold of. You spread your forces too thin and then you lose at least one country if not more before your next turn rolls around.

Never get involved in a land war in Asia

JoeUser on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    asia's just a smokescreen for the kamchatka initiative anyways

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    JoeUser wrote: »

Never get involved in a land war in Asia

INCONCEIVABLE

This is what Risk games I am in generally end up like

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    my brother and I once spent an hour setting up a risk game between the two of us (with the neutral country!) and I think I beat him in ten minutes

this is balanced by the HQ game we played where I lost on the first turn

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Keep spreading the idea that Australia is win. It just makes my Madagascar Plan more effective.

Shut down your ports?

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    yeah but see the thing is everyone is throwing their whole weight at that one country to remove your bonus that they might as well have just let you have those seven things

Nah. If the attacker is rolling three dice, he has a statistical advantage over a defender rolling two dice. Spoiling the Asia bonus means that he gets to "destroy" those seven armies with the three attack dice rather than facing them in the next turn when they have the three dice advantage. Wiping out the defending armies in that country is a bonus.

The only time it's not a good idea is when it drains you of too many armies to withstand the probable strength of the counterattack.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
This discussion has been closed.