As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My Attempt At Tattoo Art

2»

• Options
    Mes3Mes3 Lurking behind your toilet Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ear should be bigger, not happy with the hair. Practice, practice, practice!!!!!

girl1.jpg

Mes3 on
    http://rjnewman.blogspot.com/ | Follow me on instagram @ messiah3x
  • Options
    PojPoj Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Iruka wrote: »
    I realize you aren't going for realistic when I say this, but you need to study some references.

I couldn't agree more with this, and it applies just as readily to the work you just posted. I think sometimes artists with highly stylized techniques tend to (either knowingly or unknowingly) discard some basic rules of anatomy and composition. Never use that as an excuse for things being out of place, because I think it is blatantly obvious even in stylized art who is aware of how an object is put together, and who is not. I'd be surprised to hear that there's a single artist out there who feels that they've learned absolutely everything there is to know about anatomy, so it's worth studying absolutely any time, no matter where you're starting from or where you're going.

For that piece that you just posted in particular, I agree with your opinion of the ear, but the eye seems misplaced as well and the upper lip looks bizarre. Like if you looked at the front of the face, it would be strangely flattened upward.

As for wishing you had more time... well, I believe if you have time to draw, you have time to study references. If you have access to Google, deviantART, your body, and a mirror, you can figure out a lot with just those things.

Poj on
    007-sig-1.png
  • Options
    Mes3Mes3 Lurking behind your toilet Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Poj wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more with this, and it applies just as readily to the work you just posted. I think sometimes artists with highly stylized techniques tend to (either knowingly or unknowingly) discard some basic rules of anatomy and composition. Never use that as an excuse for things being out of place, because I think it is blatantly obvious even in stylized art who is aware of how an object is put together, and who is not. I'd be surprised to hear that there's a single artist out there who feels that they've learned absolutely everything there is to know about anatomy, so it's worth studying absolutely any time, no matter where you're starting from or where you're going.

For that piece that you just posted in particular, I agree with your opinion of the ear, but the eye seems misplaced as well and the upper lip looks bizarre. Like if you looked at the front of the face, it would be strangely flattened upward.

As for wishing you had more time... well, I believe if you have time to draw, you have time to study references. If you have access to Google, deviantART, your body, and a mirror, you can figure out a lot with just those things.

I'll agree with you I need to study more. I have been. I come from a heavy graffiti background where I drew nothing but for years. Nothing but graffiti, seriously. I didn't do faces, I didn't do shit. All letters, all the time. I'm trying to get my stuff together, I really am. Making more time to study and really practice.

I do need some better feedback though.

So the eye seems misplaced? Hows so? Does it need to be moved up, down, back? What? Just telling me it seems misplaced does nothing for me, ya know?

I actually referenced the lips from Giovanni Civardi's book. They're stylized, sure, but pretty close to what he drew as far as the lower and upper lip coming together.

I appreciate the feedback guys, I do. Its definitely lit a fire underneath my ass to get better.

But please be a bit more specific when you critique, please!

Mes3 on
    http://rjnewman.blogspot.com/ | Follow me on instagram @ messiah3x