Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Tie in Mouth Joke

124

Posts

  • Punsie McKalePunsie McKale Registered User
    edited May 2009
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Blaket wrote: »
    I would also like to know why Asian people born in America don't insist on being called Asian American.

    I've always figured it's because African-American refers to a specific group of people, that is to say, those descended from slaves from Africa--whereas Africans are people from Africa more recently. With Asians there is no need for such distinction

    Asians in America are from Asia pretty recently, too

    plenty of families are only third-gen or second-gen

    for instance my cousins were born in Texas even though their parents grew up in Asia, and they certainly don't insist that they be called Asian Americans

    like, I see what you're saying, in that African Americans refer ONLY to those who descended from slaves in Africa, but it just strikes me as a blanket term for everyone who's black in the US

    even people who weren't born in Africa but happen to be black and American are called African American... a friend of a friend is one such individual, and when he fills in those forms people always tell him he checked the wrong box

    actually viv I wasn't saying that there aren't any recent Asians--just that there isn't really any reason for a distinguishing term between recent immigrants and people who trace their linegage back eight generations

    and pretty much everyone who's black in the U.S. is descended from African slaves. Not everyone, but a huge percentage (especialy when you consider that the Carribean black people are descended from sugar plantation slaves)

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    and pretty much everyone who's black in the U.S. is descended from African slaves. Not everyone, but a huge percentage (especialy when you consider that the Carribean black people are descended from sugar plantation slaves)

    But that doesn't mean we can use African-American as a blanket term when "black" covers people who are not African descendants or American citizens even better

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User
    edited May 2009
    i call black people dark

    and i don't talk to white people so i don't call them anything

  • Punsie McKalePunsie McKale Registered User
    edited May 2009
    AMP'd wrote: »
    and pretty much everyone who's black in the U.S. is descended from African slaves. Not everyone, but a huge percentage (especialy when you consider that the Carribean black people are descended from sugar plantation slaves)

    But that doesn't mean we can use African-American as a blanket term when "black" covers people who are not African descendants or American citizens even better

    I completely agree

    the lineage of politically correct terms from black folks is pretty crazy

    it seems like each one is a backlash against the term before it

    "Negro" is too friendly and subservient, so "black" comes into vogue. "Black" gets associated with the violent civil rights protests, so the friendlier "African-American" is used, in the style of "German-American" or "Itallian-American". But now it's more important to be inclusive, so "black" is used again, which is ok because it's been so long since the 60s and 70s.

    pretty wild stuff

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    i'm first generation american and i never get any cool phrases to describe me

    blackstav.jpg
  • VivixenneVivixenne aDAWRable! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Blaket wrote: »
    I would also like to know why Asian people born in America don't insist on being called Asian American.

    I've always figured it's because African-American refers to a specific group of people, that is to say, those descended from slaves from Africa--whereas Africans are people from Africa more recently. With Asians there is no need for such distinction

    Asians in America are from Asia pretty recently, too

    plenty of families are only third-gen or second-gen

    for instance my cousins were born in Texas even though their parents grew up in Asia, and they certainly don't insist that they be called Asian Americans

    like, I see what you're saying, in that African Americans refer ONLY to those who descended from slaves in Africa, but it just strikes me as a blanket term for everyone who's black in the US

    even people who weren't born in Africa but happen to be black and American are called African American... a friend of a friend is one such individual, and when he fills in those forms people always tell him he checked the wrong box

    actually viv I wasn't saying that there aren't any recent Asians--just that there isn't really any reason for a distinguishing term between recent immigrants and people who trace their linegage back eight generations

    and pretty much everyone who's black in the U.S. is descended from African slaves. Not everyone, but a huge percentage (especialy when you consider that the Carribean black people are descended from sugar plantation slaves)
    so how far back do you go before you say that that line of descent doesn't count anymore?

    how recent does it have to be? how far back do you have to go? (to be African instead of African-American, or vice versa)

    because okay I would imagine that the Caribbean blacks in the US are more distantly descended from their African slave ancestors than ones who were shipped right from Africa

    if even one of your ancestors was a slave, does that make you African American in the strictest definition of the term?

    I dunno if I'm making what I'm asking very clear, but you're saying that there's no point in making a distinction between recent immigrants over those who've been here for ages when it comes to Asians, and yet it IS necessary to make that distinction when it comes to blacks?

    why?

    (I realize you're mainly offering up your understanding of the subject but this is something I am genuinely curious about)

  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User
    edited May 2009
  • VivixenneVivixenne aDAWRable! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    i'm first generation american and i never get any cool phrases to describe me

    big-nose

    white devil

    foreign devil

    outsider

    (that's what you'd be called in China)

  • Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    i always wanted to be a cowboy.

    blackstav.jpg
  • Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    i'm first generation american and i never get any cool phrases to describe me

    big-nose

    white devil

    foreign devil

    outsider

    (that's what you're be called in China)

    hm.

    blackstav.jpg
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    i'm first generation american and i never get any cool phrases to describe me

    big-nose

    Hey

    bar-cc-1.jpg
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Here's a weird idea

    We just call everyone "people"

    globe_pple.gif

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • VivixenneVivixenne aDAWRable! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Javen wrote: »
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    i'm first generation american and i never get any cool phrases to describe me

    big-nose

    Hey

    it's true though

  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
  • Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    so if i was born in china but my parents weren't i'd be a pariah?

    blackstav.jpg
  • VivixenneVivixenne aDAWRable! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    AMP'd wrote: »
    Here's a weird idea

    We just call everyone "people"

    globe_pple.gif

    god what a hippy

    racism is TRADITION

    (I'll tell you what Chinese people are the most racist people you will ever meet, don't listen to their claims to the contrary)

  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    AMP'd wrote: »
    Here's a weird idea

    We just call everyone "people"

    globe_pple.gif

    I prefer to call everyone 'You there'.

    Though I can't for the life of me remember what this is in reference to. I think its Futurama.

    scarab you have mental problems
  • Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    everybody needs to just fuck and fuck and keep fuckin til we're all the same color

    blackstav.jpg
  • VivixenneVivixenne aDAWRable! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    so if i was born in china but my parents weren't i'd be a pariah?

    the mainland Chinese don't care where you come from

    they care what you look like

    every black dude is called "fei ren" or "African"

    every white person is called a "bai gui" or "white devil" (alternatively, "da bi zi" or "big nose")

    DISCLAIMER: TERMS VARY FROM REGION TO REGION

    if you don't look Chinese, you are considered a "lao wai" or "outsider" and they don't give a fuck where you were born, it could've been down the street from them and your family could've been there for ages

  • Lost SalientLost Salient Z is for Zillah who drank too much ginRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    i'm first generation american and i never get any cool phrases to describe me

    Don't go to Chinee.

    Come to Seoul and call yourself "Meguk-saram." It's exotic.

    QuW2glN.jpg"Sandra's favourite movie is escape from new York because she cries when magpie and brain die because they will never be together." i read books sometimes
  • VivixenneVivixenne aDAWRable! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    (I'll tell you what Chinese people are the most racist people you will ever meet, don't listen to their claims to the contrary)

    Yes

    My best friend is Chinese

    We are always offensive to gentiles of other races

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    so if i was born in china but my parents weren't i'd be a pariah?

    the mainland Chinese don't care where you come from

    they care what you look like

    every black dude is called "fei ren" or "African"

    every white person is called a "bai gui" or "white devil" (alternatively, "da bi zi" or "big nose")

    DISCLAIMER: TERMS VARY FROM REGION TO REGION

    if you don't look Chinese, you are considered a "lao wai" or "outsider" and they don't give a fuck where you were born, it could've been down the street from them and your family could've been there for ages

    i would beat some chinese ass if he called me big nose.

    blackstav.jpg
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    so if i was born in china but my parents weren't i'd be a pariah?

    the mainland Chinese don't care where you come from

    they care what you look like

    every black dude is called "fei ren" or "African"

    every white person is called a "bai gui" or "white devil" (alternatively, "da bi zi" or "big nose")

    DISCLAIMER: TERMS VARY FROM REGION TO REGION

    if you don't look Chinese, you are considered a "lao wai" or "outsider" and they don't give a fuck where you were born, it could've been down the street from them and your family could've been there for ages

    makes me feel better about being such a shitty tipper at the chinese down my street.

    but i mean seriously, they overcharge on everything because they know im so lazy ill never eat anywhere else.

    scarab you have mental problems
  • VivixenneVivixenne aDAWRable! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    fun fact

    if you mispronounce "da bi zi" you could easily be saying "big vagina" instead of "big nose"

  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    everybody needs to just fuck and fuck and keep fuckin til we're all the same color

    A nice caramel color.

  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hunter wrote: »
    everybody needs to just fuck and fuck and keep fuckin til we're all the same color

    A nice caramel color.

    No, I think the color should be lighter!

    Oh, wait...

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    fun fact

    if you mispronounce "da bi zi" you could easily be saying "big vagina" instead of "big nose"

    There's a WAM joke in here, I can smell it.

  • Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    i mean i'm a forward thinker man i like women of every conceivable race, color and creed.

    blackstav.jpg
  • VivixenneVivixenne aDAWRable! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Chinese form nicknames on appearance alone

    like if there's a fat kid in a group of friends, his nickname is GUARANTEED to be either "fatty" or "big <dude's name>" and the dude will be okay with it

    it's not that they're racist or appearance-based or anything like that to be MEAN

    it's that they don't even KNOW they're being racist or appearance-based or anything like that because in China, you're born as you are, and you may as well own up to it instead of worrying about what you can't change or shouldn't be ashamed of

    that's the culture, anyway

  • VivixenneVivixenne aDAWRable! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hunter wrote: »
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    fun fact

    if you mispronounce "da bi zi" you could easily be saying "big vagina" instead of "big nose"

    There's a WAM joke in here, I can smell it.

    no that's just the vagina

  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User
    edited May 2009
    Hunter wrote: »
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    fun fact

    if you mispronounce "da bi zi" you could easily be saying "big vagina" instead of "big nose"

    There's a WAM joke in here, I can smell it.
    how do you say "big teeth"

  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    i mean i'm a forward thinker man i like women of every conceivable race, color and creed.

    Yes, women are attractive of all race, colors, and combinations.

  • VivixenneVivixenne aDAWRable! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    though to clarify

    some of the things I've heard friends and family say about some other races is straight-up shit that makes you go "woooooooooooooooooooooooow"

    like Indians or Japanese?

    my dad loves them as individuals, thinks they're smart people

    but talking about them as a group of people, as a race?

    woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow

  • GoldenSeducerGoldenSeducer Unlike you, I don't need oxygen to survive. STUUUUPID! Sunnyvale Trailer ParkRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hunter wrote: »
    i mean i'm a forward thinker man i like women of every conceivable race, color and creed.

    Yes, women are attractive of all race, colors, and combinations.

    An African woman with Irish red hair born in Vietnam who moves to Austria and is a Phelps-following closet lesbian?

    Ohhh, my Julian! My handsome Julian Patrick Swayze!
  • Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    my grandma is from the old country and still uses slurs to refer to all races because "that's how they did it back home"

    blackstav.jpg
  • Lost SalientLost Salient Z is for Zillah who drank too much ginRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I know people who do that, but the "old country" is just "a small town west of Detroit."

    QuW2glN.jpg"Sandra's favourite movie is escape from new York because she cries when magpie and brain die because they will never be together." i read books sometimes
  • Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hunter wrote: »
    i mean i'm a forward thinker man i like women of every conceivable race, color and creed.

    Yes, women are attractive of all race, colors, and combinations.

    An African woman with Irish red hair born in Vietnam who moves to Austria and is a Phelps-following closet lesbian?

    yeah sure why not.

    blackstav.jpg
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hunter wrote: »
    i mean i'm a forward thinker man i like women of every conceivable race, color and creed.

    Yes, women are attractive of all race, colors, and combinations.

    An African woman with Irish red hair born in Vietnam who moves to Austria and is a Phelps-following closet lesbian?

    I'd hit it like a fat chick attacking a carton of Ben and Jerry's icecream after watching some TV movie on Lifetime.

  • VivixenneVivixenne aDAWRable! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    my grandma is from the old country and still uses slurs to refer to all races because "that's how they did it back home"

    yeah the slang terms Cantonese people use to talk about everyone else are actually pretty insulting and everyone uses them when speaking Cantonese

    nowadays they're used more as just "the terms they've always used" so there's nothing vicious behind their use, it's just the word they grew up associating with them

    but you know, those terms' origins are not so nice

    that said, I watched Clerks 2 the other night and I didn't even know that half the terms that were said in that one segment of the movie were racial slurs

    he lists a bunch and I'm all "what, I have never heard those before what do those even MEAN"

    and during the scene I have no idea why everyone's so offended and Blake has to lean over to me and go "yeah that's a racial slur against blacks"

    and I'm just like what is there a handbook people have that lists this shit

Sign In or Register to comment.