As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thief 4 announced, taffers call it Thi4f

• Options
    mantidormantidor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    what the hell? why announce it now then?

Nintendo gets a lot of hate over its recent secrecy for games, but I'm very glad they are now announcing games when they are less than a year from being launched instead of this.

mantidor on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yes, the title and the logo are terrible. It was terrible when the game was called Driv3r and it is still terrible now. I'm considering making a forum account on their website just to tell them that.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    mantidor wrote: »

Nintendo gets a lot of hate over its recent secrecy for games, but I'm very glad they are now announcing games when they are less than a year from being launched instead of this.

Raise interest in the studio for talent and marketing purposes, I would guess.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    BorysBorys Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I've come up with some more nameZ for Eidos:

H1TMAN 5
    D3USX
    T0MB R41D3R 8

Borys on
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You're funny! Hahaha.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I bet you that you play Garret, and you have a wacky fun teenage girl sidekick who you can direct around as a minion.

Actually that wouldn't be immediately terrible if you could set up distractions and have her blackjack guards. Of course, asking a game to have good companion AI is apparently impossible if you aren't Valve (and even Alyx can go die at times)

Robman on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hahaha... I hate to be one of the haters, 'cause this is my favorite franchise, but Thi4f looks so bad it's funny.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    korodullin wrote: »
    http://www.thief4.com/

I'll just leave this here.
    I'll go ahead and be a complete buzzkill and guess based on absolutely no evidence at all: console-based, third-person view, no Garrett, heavy focus on combat.

My nerd rage is boiling over! Kill the messenger! Grab your pitchforks and torches!

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Clevinger wrote: »

Raise interest in the studio for talent and marketing purposes, I would guess.

But... the hype is going to kill me :( from past experience such long waits only end up in dissapointment... oh well...

Now will come the delicate balance of when to listen and not to listen to the rabid fanbase, something I'm not confident they will do right, for now. I guess all we have left to do is wait and see.

mantidor on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    4 Thief 4 Furious

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    4 Thief 4 Furious

:lol:

emnmnme on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    4 Thief 4 Furious

:lol:

4 rilz?

Fawst on
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So they fourth thief game is going to be pronounced Thiaf?

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I'll go ahead and be a complete buzzkill and guess based on absolutely no evidence at all: console-based, third-person view, no Garrett, heavy focus on combat.

My nerd rage is boiling over! Kill the messenger! Grab your pitchforks and torches!

It will be console based, there is no doubt to that. Not necessarily a bad thing per se, modern consoles have hard drives and more power than the original xbox.

Really, the big problem will be if they make it have a heavy focus on combat. If they do that, they better bring back the "Kill no one" restriction from the hardest difficulty in thief 1/2.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Garret in 60 Seconds

Garret Theft Auto

How to rob friends and inflitrate places

This is much more fun then e-wanking about unknown game details

Robman on
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    Garret in 60 Seconds

Garret Theft Auto

How to rob friends and inflitrate places

This is much more fun then e-wanking about unknown game details

Thief 4: How I learned to stop worrying and love burricks.

The thief, his sidekick, a burrick, and the rise and fall of Benny Sinclair

Havelock on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

It will be console based, there is no doubt to that. Not necessarily a bad thing per se, modern consoles have hard drives and more power than the original xbox.

I know I should be used to this line of thought, but still, the least important thing for me is the quality of the graphics, but the obvious superiority of keyboard/mouse against console controls specially for a game like thief. For FPS they might be somewhat equal but thief's gameplay benefits inmensely from more accurate pointing and extra keys for all the things you use.

mantidor on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    God someone keep me away from ttlg. I know I'm going to get in arguments with the insane fanboys over there.

It's not nearly as bad as nma though.

august on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I know I should be used to this line of thought, but still, the least important thing for me is the quality of the graphics, but the obvious superiority of keyboard/mouse against console controls specially for a game like thief. For FPS they might be somewhat equal but thief's gameplay benefits inmensely from more accurate pointing and extra keys for all the things you use.

At risk of turning this into an "everything is most important!" fest, what matters most to me is the level design. The ability to approach from multiple angles and the wide, expansive stages is what makes Thief unique to me. I literally got lost on a few of the stages. It's the only game to ever do that to me.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Yeah, but that doesn't really matter if you are playing the PC version.

I wasn't really talking about graphics so much as the fact that the level design in Thief 3 was condensed and broken up because the xbox 1 wasn't powerful enough to handle larger levels.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Jragghen wrote: »
    At risk of turning this into an "everything is most important!" fest, what matters most to me is the level design. The ability to approach from multiple angles and the wide, expansive stages is what makes Thief unique to me. I literally got lost on a few of the stages. It's the only game to ever do that to me.

Yeah I loved that. You really felt like an explorer/spelunker on a lot of missions. A lot of the fun for me was going around exploring every nook of the levels. I still find new things I hadn't noticed before.

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Streaming level data FTW? Seriously, no reason not to do that, especially with hard drive installs.

Shit, if you're afraid of hardware limitations, just look at Assassin's Creed and GTAIV. No reason to worry.

Fawst on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I played t3 on xbox and it really, really wasn't a problem.

It takes maybe a little longer to aim a water arrow but guess what... it's Thief so you have the time. Also I rarely use number keys for weapons/items, and it's actually easier for me to scroll through stuff on a gamepad.

The only thing is that playing on a tv screen generally decreases immersion.

august on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    TVs_Frank wrote: »

Yeah I loved that. You really felt like an explorer/spelunker on a lot of missions. A lot of the fun for me was going around exploring every nook of the levels. I still find new things I hadn't noticed before.

I had to have played Bafford's Manor at least a dozen times before I found out about the passage behind the tapestry which led to above the throne room.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

This is what I loved about T1 and T2. Most of the places you hit had more than one entrance point. The most obvious level that comes to mind for me is "Assassins" when you rob Ramirez's mansion. Bafford's too, to a lesser extent.

Havelock on
  • Options
    a penguina penguin Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    On that note, I demand a token 'Garrett Standard Issue Exceedingly Shitty Map Of The Level'.

I'm thinking a rectangle drawn on a piece of parchment with the word 'House' written in it.

Also, spiders.

a penguin on
    This space eventually to be filled with excitement
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    a penguin wrote: »
    On that note, I demand a token 'Garrett Standard Issue Exceedingly Shitty Map Of The Level'.

I'm thinking a rectangle drawn on a piece of parchment with the word 'House' written in it.

Also, spiders.

Oh, god. Fuck spiders.

If there's going to be any sort of critter in Thief 4, they need to bring back Burricks, and none of this "Burrick head mounted on a wall" bullshit.

Havelock on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The spiders have to jump on your head.

That's how it works.

august on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    august wrote: »

It takes maybe a little longer to aim a water arrow but guess what... it's Thief so you have the time. Also I rarely use number keys for weapons/items, and it's actually easier for me to scroll through stuff on a gamepad.

I think that was because the game was tuned for the console above the PC. One simple example is the lock picking, that thing was specifically made for thumbsticks, but the mouse could emulate it, now if they would had made some new innovative lockpicking method with only the mouse in mind is likely the thumbstick could not do it as easly.

mantidor on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I can't think of anything other than the lockpick game that was necessarily designed for a controller, and the game really didn't suffer for it.

august on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The lockpicking mini game was very fun on PC, and I enjoyed it. It made lock picking quite intense, as going into lock pick mode did not pause the game.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I think that was because the game was tuned for the console above the PC. One simple example is the lock picking, that thing was specifically made for thumbsticks, but the mouse could emulate it, now if they would had made some new innovative lockpicking method with only the mouse in mind is likely the thumbstick could not do it as easly.

I just re-fired up T3 last night (on my PC), and I honestly have to say that I still don't care for the lockpicking mini-game. It just feels unnecessary and gimmicky. It's like, somewhere between T2 and TDS, Garret's ability to pick locks regressed to the level of a novice. At least, that's how inept I was during the training session.

It's been a long time.
    It made lock picking quite intense, as going into lock pick mode did not pause the game

It was intense with the way it was done in T1 and T2, and having to swich back and forth between picks for more complex locks, all while hoping that damned guard doesn't come walking around the corner and see you fucking around with the lock.

I don't get how making it into a mini-game made it more intense, save with the exception of dragging it out longer.

Havelock on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It was a little gimmicky, but it felt right.

As opposed to say, Oblivion or Bioshock, where its blatantly a mini game. In Thief 3 it at least felt like lockpicking. The real time aspect added alot to it.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    You seriously cannot prefer the lockpicking in the first two games over the third.

It made it more intense because you actually had to do something. You know, something vaguely resembling lockpicking while guards might be about. Something that required you to pay attention and perhaps even rewarded some limited skill. And plenty of the locks in the first two games took just as long if not longer, the only difference is that you just sat there holding the right mouse button.

I'm playing through with the minimalist project right now. They take away the visual cues of the circles and you have to pick the lock entirely with visual and audio cues. It's totally awesome. The only thing is that if you hadn't played the game before, you'd have no idea what's going on.

august on
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I had to have played Bafford's Manor at least a dozen times before I found out about the passage behind the tapestry which led to above the throne room.

What?!

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I admit I'm being way nitpicky, but with thief I don't want just "great" I want "excellent".

Lockpicking using different types of lockpicks like in the first two games, and not just two but more, would be great, and I think easily achievable with a keyboard.

EDIT:

Lockpicking was also real time in the first two games, and more intense, you had no idea when the lockpick was going to succeed, you had to keep pressing until it clicked or got stuck, and then you had to use the other one, what are you people talking about? it was far from being a passive experience.

mantidor on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It was a little gimmicky, but it felt right.

As opposed to say, Oblivion or Bioshock, where its blatantly a mini game. In Thief 3 it at least felt like lockpicking. The real time aspect added alot to it.

Good point. Oblivion's lock picking mini-game was crap.

Havelock on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It made it more intense because you actually had to do something. You know, something vaguely resembling lockpicking while guards might be about. Something that required you to pay attention and perhaps even rewarded some limited skill. And plenty of the locks in the first two games took just as long if not longer, the only difference is that you just sat there holding the right mouse button.

I do not see how this describes 1 and 2, but not 3.

In any event, I wouldn't say too forcefully that I preferred 3's simply because I haven't played the first two in a decade, but yes, I thought it was really fun. I can't really comment on how good it was in the others, since I barely remember that particular aspect, I can only say that I thought it was good in 3.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Holding a mouse button until you hear a click and then switching to another (and always the same) item and holding the mouse button until you hear a click is not really what I'd consider engaging gameplay, even compared to the limited complexity of the minigame of t3.

august on
  • Options
    NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    "Thief 4 announced, taffers call it Thi4f"

Nartwak on