As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

These things are why NASA needs more money

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Any time people ask me about my religious beliefs now I just kinda shrug

does that make me agnostic or

?

Well, except my family; we don't really talk about it at all, though Mom and Dad are certainly Christian; Dad would probably be unhappy if I told him about my rather lax faith

Apatheism?

Wow, this

I was not aware this was an actual thing

Me neither till about a month ago.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Me doubting the faith I was raised on is rooted more in anger and resentment than scientific observation or apathy.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I bring you...Shark Sub

shark2_0.jpg

brainchild of Fabian Cousteau, grandson of famed explorer Jacques, he "used the submarine to make a documentary intended to demystify the notion that great white sharks are ruthless, mindless killers."

Usagi on
    edited May 2009
    Butters wrote: »
    Me doubting the faith I was raised on is rooted more in anger and resentment than scientific observation or apathy.

At least you're honest about it.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Usagi wrote: »
    I bring you...Shark Sub

shark2_0.jpg

brainchild of Fabian Cousteau, grandson of famed explorer Jacques, he "used the submarine to make a documentary intended to demystify the notion that great white sharks are ruthless, mindless killers."

maybe he should have done that while as a fleshy human with pork strapped to his body.

oh woops they really are mindless killers

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    misbehavin wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »
    you're all going to hell

Jesus just told me so

I had a discussion last night with a close friend about how I am a closeted atheist.

Everyone around me would be pissed if they knew I was an atheist. Some might even stop talking to me, including family members. It would be ugly and painful and not really worth the headaches. So, rather than facing such things, I just pretend to be a Christian when I'm around anyone that falls into this category. I was raised Christian, so I know all the right words and phrases, and even quite a few bible passages if the situation calls for it. Everyone falls for it. It's remarkably easy to pull off, actually. I can see why so many people can make truckloads of money from religious folk.

I feel like a gay guy in a southern Baptist family... I parade the bible around at family functions, even kissing it from time to time so as not to set off any suspicion, but I secretly have science waiting for me in my bed back home...
    see, when I left the church as a young adult I made a conscious decision at that point that I wasn't going to do what I'd seen so many friends do:
    a) keep pretending they were christian around their family/friends so as to avoid conflict, but also (from my perspective) be trapped in a lie the rest of my life
    b) become the bitter ex-christian that takes every opportunity to rail at my family for being stupid sheep, etc

I decided that I would simply be honest, but non confrontational about my beliefs and be proud of who I am without being a smarmy asshole

I've certainly had my arguments with my mom (my father had already passed away by that point), but it's allowed me to stay close to my family without pretending to be something I'm not and without becoming bitter
    all it really requires is some patience and empathy

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty Shame Church for DogsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This is a pretty cool thread and goddamn I wish I were better at math.

General Nemo on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Shark sub?

Fuck yeah

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited May 2009

Ha ha ha! To myself maybe.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I bring you...Shark Sub

shark2_0.jpg

I'd rather something less sporty, with more headroom

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
    edited May 2009

Ha ha ha! To myself maybe.

That's all that really matters.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I don't really see the point of having a human inside that thing. Looks dangerous to me.

Platy on
  • misbehavinmisbehavin Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    you're all going to hell

Jesus just told me so

I had a discussion last night with a close friend about how I am a closeted atheist.

Everyone around me would be pissed if they knew I was an atheist. Some might even stop talking to me, including family members. It would be ugly and painful and not really worth the headaches. So, rather than facing such things, I just pretend to be a Christian when I'm around anyone that falls into this category. I was raised Christian, so I know all the right words and phrases, and even quite a few bible passages if the situation calls for it. Everyone falls for it. It's remarkably easy to pull off, actually. I can see why so many people can make truckloads of money from religious folk.

I feel like a gay guy in a southern Baptist family... I parade the bible around at family functions, even kissing it from time to time so as not to set off any suspicion, but I secretly have science waiting for me in my bed back home...
    How long do you want to pull this off?

Forever?

I don't see my parents that often, and I see no reason to cause trouble. It's not like I have to do this shit everyday or anything, and I really don't care enough to rock the boat.

I go to church with my folks maybe twice a year (Christmas/Easter) and I see them a maximum of 10 times per year. The rest of my family a maximum of 5 times per year.

misbehavin on
    edited May 2009
    Fandyien wrote: »
    Shark sub?

Fuck yeah

shark4.jpg

Usagi on
    edited May 2009
    I bring you...Shark Sub

shark2_0.jpg

oh man, I want to see that documentary

this also reminded me of an article I posted a ways back in the science thread
    robot penguins

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I have no resentment towards Christianity at all

when I was young I was quite secure in the knowledge that Jesus, indeed, loves the little children, and that I was golden as long as I said my prayers and all that stuff

but as I grew and was able to examine myself and my surroundings, I decided that I had never had anything approximating a "religious experience" and had never seen anything to make me truly feel, in my heart, that there was a God with a plan and all that

scientific inquiry and all that aside, if you don't feel that truth, deep down, then you don't by definition believe

Also I discovered that sin and vice are really fun

Grey Ghost on
    edited May 2009
    haha they even have fake remoras on it!

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Fandyien wrote: »
    Shark sub?

Fuck yeah

shark4.jpg
    oh man they even put a cleaner fish on it

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Run Run RunRun Run Run __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh, science. Technological singularity scares the bajeebus outta me.

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty Shame Church for DogsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Remoras are the most helpful fish.

General Nemo on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    you're all going to hell

Jesus just told me so

I've pretty much always been atheist/agnostic but I don't think my family knows. Fortunately we're pretty secular as it is so it almost never comes up. I've never seen a situation where it'd be a good idea to bring it up myself, either.

Scooter on
    edited May 2009
    I don't really see the point of having a human inside that thing. Looks dangerous to me.

What kind of dumb faggot wouldn't want to play "shark" in that thing?

Butters on
    edited May 2009
    450px-Remora_remora.JPG

Platy on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Abracadaniel on
    edited May 2009
    remoras aren't cleaners, they just hitch a free ride and pick off scraps of food that are too small for sharks to bother with during feeding
    their hosts don't benefit, but it doesn't really cost them anything either

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited May 2009

What kind of dumb faggot wouldn't want to play "shark" in that thing?
    I just hope they know what they're doing. The craft is roughly the size of a big, delicious tuna.

Platy on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Actually it's catholic tradition that says that mary was completely without sin for her entire life, and thus had no other children. Most protestant sects hold that she and joeseph had several kids. (Namely james, who wrote the book of james).

...science!

Langly on
    edited May 2009
    remoras aren't cleaners, they just hitch a free ride and pick off scraps of food that are too small for sharks to bother with during feeding
    Man, what a rad life it would be to have free food and a great big scary fucking shark as your buddy.

General Nemo on
    edited May 2009
    as far as moral/religious development goes, I have to give my parents a lot of credit for letting me decide what I wanted to believe and for encouraging me to ask questions

my grandmas were really not happy with my dad when he gave me a copy of Holy Blood, Holy Grail for my 14th birthday

Usagi on
    edited May 2009
    So it's the perfect fish for people who like to eat while using computers.

Platy on
    edited May 2009
    as far as moral/religious development goes, I have to give my parents a lot of credit for letting me decide what I wanted to believe and for encouraging me to ask questions

my grandmas were really not happy with my dad when he gave me a copy of Holy Blood, Holy Grail for my 14th birthday
    good book
    shame people tend to blow their claims out of proportion

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    SINNERS

Clint Eastwood on
  • Run Run RunRun Run Run __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Langly wrote: »
    Actually it's catholic tradition that says that mary was completely without sin for her entire life, and thus had no other children. Most protestant sects hold that she and joeseph had several kids. (Namely james, who wrote the book of james).

...science!

Mary and Joseph didn't actually exist.

... science!

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
    edited May 2009
    Smart Hero wrote: »

Too bad I won't be able to see it, being in Texas and all (and at work as well). That was a cool video though, especially listening to how excited that kid was. I love seeing kids get excited about science and stuff, it gives me some hope for humanity.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

...science!

... science!

Neither of these sound like science.

Not at all.

ChicoBlue on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    NotASenator on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

...science!

... science!

Neither does you social credibility!

Jk jk

Not my scene, but I think there is a little bit of actual historical evidence for jesus and that crew, but maybe not?

Langly on
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

...science!

... science!

emmm

not necessarily

FAQ on
    edited May 2009
    Smart Hero wrote: »

I really hope our awful weather clears up so I can see this

unfortunately the forcast is for rain and fog all evening

Usagi on
    edited May 2009

My dad wouldn't be too happy with me being more or less agnostic but he'd learn to live with it. Now if I had kids that would be a lot different.

Butters on
This discussion has been closed.