As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX 2009 BYOC Info/FAQ (BYOC SOLD OUT!)

BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
edited September 2009 in PAX Archive
Ticket transfers are being locked down the 28th of august.
(We had to change it to the friday as opposed to the weekend becuase the intel guys who run the Reg site dont work on weekends)

You can still buy passes off of other people, but after the 28th the orginal owner of the pass is the only one that can get the actual physical pass before/during PAX. Since ID is required to get the BYOC Pass and all...

Speaking of...

THINGS REQUIRED AT PAX TO GET YOUR BYOC PASS:
1) Photo ID (Drivers licence, State ID, Passport)
2) The barcode from the email you got after you registered and paid for a seat. Print it out and bring it.

If you dont have a printer (trust me, i dont either. Hardcopy ftl). Be able to record the barcode # on something (phone, paper, hand, etc). We can type you in manually that way.

Or if you fail at everything, we can look you up via Name/addy/email. BUT you will be slowing down the line and we will make everyone else behind you in line glare at you, disapprovingly.
Government photo ID is still required though, to make sure you are who you say you are.

HOW TO TRANSFER A BYOC BADGE TO ANOTHER PERSON

So you sold a pass eh? Well you suck, we are going to have SO MUCH FUN WITHOUT *YOU* :P

But heres how you transfer it....

Have the person buying your pass create an account on the intel LANfest site.
Get them to tell you their Real name/account name on the site.
Then you need to submit a support ticket on the LANfest site to have your BYOC Pass and seat transfered to them.

Thats it :)

See spoiler for previous infos :)
BYOC Reg is now LIVE!
(Let's make this thing sell out in a week :P)

http://lanfest.intel.com/?page=event&eventid=1324

gogogogogogo

NOTE:
If you won a free BYOC pass last year in one of the contests, please email pax_pc@penny-arcade.com with your handle and RL name so we can get you your reward.

Also keep in mind this is a new reg system for us. If there are any issues with the Intel site go ahead and let me know (either email the above addy or just shoot me a forum PM so the info can be passed along to the right people to fix.

Warning: You must both pay your balance AND select your BYOC Seat in order to secure your place at the LAN. Seats are available on a first to reserve basis. Payment alone does not secure your seat.
Woo!

Here we go again. yeah I know this post is late in the year compared to the last two years, But hey, we are in a new space and such so theres moar to figure out. What sucks is its taking a lot longer to do so.

REGARDLESS

I have been authorized to share some info with you guys (ohgodstopthePMstome) to quell some of the questions. If there are any other questions about BYOC please post in here so everyone can benifit from the answers.

Also ill do a copy-pasta of the FAQ from previous years (Since its still kinda valid for a lot of questions)

INFO ABOUT THIS YEAR
(that I was told I can share so far)
  • BYOC will cost $30 this year
  • I was told BYOC online registration will be done via Intels LANFEST site and not brown paper tickets this year.
  • There will be around 400 BYOC seats available, not decided for sure yet, might go up or down. Thats the ballpark right now.
  • BYOC reg will go live around late may-early june (ovbiously subject to change)
  • Sadly it looks so far I wont be able to get the BYOC people to the front of the line for expo. So subject to change (still fighting for it, dont want you guys to get hosed), will post with any updates on that front
  • BYOC attendees will get to check into BYOC 2h before PAX opening, So you guys can get all situated and get your stuff setup. I will post info where that will be and other instructions later when more things are finalized. Although Just like last year, theres no garuntee the network or internet will be up and ready before the PAX start time. You guys will also be required to remain in BYOC until pax opening (no wandering about). This is basically just so you guys can get things setup before the craziness of PAX starts.
  • PC room (therefore BYOC) will be up on the 6th floor this year
  • I am working on getting another checkin-checkout system made to make the checkin/out of equipment even faster this year.
  • This year we are going to have the option of picking up your BYOC badge on Thursday wherever reg ends up being at. The process doesnt take very long to get that, its more of a convience thing incase you need to go to willcall for a regular badge pickup, you may as well get your BYOC pass as well. Just like last year we will have a seperate table for badge Pickup before opening near where BYOC will end up being at :)

Thats about it for now. Next post will be the FAQ. If you have any other questions about BYOC post away :)

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
BigRed on

• Options
    edited May 2009
    Q: Where do I signup for BYOC Lan?
    A: BYOC Signups will go up around late may-early june-ish

Q: How many BYOC Spots will be available?
    A: Right now its looking to be like 400, this may change.

Q: How much does BYOC cost?
    A: $30 in addition to your regular 3day PAX pass.

Q: What time do you recommend (or require) people show up for BYOC check-in?
    A: Checkin will start 2 hours before PAX opening. I aim to have it all complete an hour before PAX opens, to give people an hour to get their stuff hooked up and ready.

Q: What hours does the BYOC run each day?
    A: Same hours as PAX. The room will have to be cleared at PAX closing. About 30min before closing there will be an in-room announcement to start wrapping up your games or whatever for the night before everyone gets kicked out at closing.

Q: Do I leave my stuff in the Lan the whole time?
    A: Yes. The room is guarded all during PAX and locked up at night. We are the first ones in and the Last ones out. If you must take your stuff up (like a laptop) you need to Check it out at the security desk as you leave and check it back in when you return.

Q: What games are typically played?
    A: Whatever is popular this year. CS:S, TF2, Demigod, COD4/5, SupCom, Warcraft3, WoW, Starcraft, etc. If you want to play a game you can find others that are up for it as well.

Q: If I get a spot for the BYOC, I don't need to commit to being in there the whole time, right? Just when I feel like relaxing and playing some games with people?
    A: Correct, you arent chained to your spot in BYOC. The majority of BYOC attendees are just there inbetween the PAX events that they want to go see.

Q: Can I bring my 30+ something inch monitor/TV?
    A: The max monitor size is 24" due to power and space constraints.

Q: Can I bring a laptop with my desktop?
    A: Yes as long as you stay within your 30" of table space. Although remember you only get one network port per seat.

Q: Can I bring a switch to increase that?
    A: NO! No outside networking devices are allowed. Any spotted will be removed.

Q: Do I need to bring a network cable?
    A: Yes. You will need a network cable to hook your computer up to the network switch at your table. Bring around a 25ft cable otherwise, depending where you are sitting, the switch my be out of your cables reach.

Q: Do I get a concert wristband if im in the seperate BYOC line?
    A: Yes! The seperate BYOC line automatically gets everything the Main line gets. All BYOC attendees get the swag bag and concert wristband.

BigRed on
  • Options
    yoshamanoyoshamano The fuck is this. The fuck was that. Marshall, Soviet MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    BigRed wrote: »
    PC room (therefore BYOC) will be up on the 6th floor this year

I'll have to make sure to get a carrying harness for my monitor this year.

yoshamano on
    pa_forums_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    yoshamano wrote: »

There is that hueg esclator, plus ill make sure the elevator is accessable to you guys.

BigRed on
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    yoshamano wrote: »

There's one or two elevators that go up to the 6th floor, so that's probably going to be the best way to go, imo. I'm glad to hear the 6th floor will be open to us this year too. Thanks for the FAQ, I know some people that are interested so I'll be forwarding them here.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    There are two elevators up to the 6th floor (right next to each other). They are right to your left as you go through the big glass doors/wall on the 4th floor. They are the ones that ill get unlocked for you guys to haul equipment through.

BigRed on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This is the year that I get into the BYOC area.

Also, good info, Red. Thanks for the heads up, awaiting Registration opening now. :D

Houn on
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    late may-early june? Damn my May 30th wedding and June 1st-8th honeymoon!

Side note: 30" of table? are we going to have that marked out or what?

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    AzazelAzazel Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Absolutely!

Azazel on
  • Options
    EkkosangenEkkosangen Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Don't forget your measuring tape, just to make sure you're getting your full 30 inches. :winky:

Ekkosangen on
    eG6Oz.jpg
    <+Arco> You can totally bone with a baby in there. If you bump up against something, just apologize to the little dude and adjust.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It will basically be 3 people to a table, you can figure out thirds :P

Plus thats the same its always been since... pax 05

BigRed on
  • Options
    BoddakerBoddaker Registered User new member
    edited May 2009
    Do you know if there will be a case mod contest at the BYOC?

Boddaker on
  • Options
    ZankaboZankabo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Cool, now to watch the e-mails and the threads so I can get a couple slots, woo!

Zankabo on
    Better a witty fool than to have a foolish wit....
  • Options
    CRCelfCRCelf Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    so... what if you aren't planning to be at PAX until an hour before the event because you are driving up from Oregon that morning? I understand that you want to have check in all done with plenty of time for setup before everything starts, but due to work schedules and the the difficult of finding a dog sitter my boyfriend and I may not be getting up to Seattle until like 9. does that mean we don't get to check in?

CRCelf on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    nono you can still check in whenever you show up

I was just saying when it *starts* :) cause 60% or so of attendees will be there bright and early. The rest always trickle in throught fri/sat

BigRed on
  • Options
    CRCelfCRCelf Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    ok, i was worried. I'm sitting here thinking, "In order to get checked into the hotel, parked, and get into BYOC an hour before PAX we need to leave at like 4 in the morning..." Thanks for informing me!

CRCelf on
  • Options
    neurosliceneuroslice Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This will totally be my first year of BYOC! (I'm moving to Kennewick [or somewhere in the Tri-Cities area] at the beginning of June.)

neuroslice on
    Hotel bound on PAX Saturday,
    I exclaimed "Khoo is my Sensei!"
    So if memes make great shirts,
    And Pod Six is Jerks,
    Then Moe, Khoo and I had our day.
  • Options
    Brex123Brex123 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Two quick questions about the BYOC:

1. Is there internet at the BYOC?

2. If there is internet, can I use a remote desktop program there?

I want to be in the BYOC, but I don't want to risk my desktop being broken or anything on the flight (I have a long flight), so I was hoping I could just bring my laptop and remotly access my PC to play any of the games on it. If I can't, I may have to begin saving up for a new laptop that can actually run Source games.

Brex123 on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    1. Yes
    2. That might be frowned upon. The internet access is mainly for web surfing, it can't handle a bunch of people doing high bandwidth stuff, like remote desktop.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited May 2009
    That and if you're playing games remotely, your remote PC won't be connected to the BYOC network.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Not to mention that I'm pretty sure that any game that's not turn-based would perform HORRIBLY over any RDC that goes over the internet (some real time games might work point to point on a GigE LAN if you really opened up all the quality settings on the right client). I'm pretty sure that CS:S would be unplayable. I have a feeling you haven't tried it before. Speaking as somebody who has to use RDCs every day as a career, depending on throughput it can be painful just to browse the internet and file structure.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited May 2009
    Yea, we'll probably have remote desktop ports shut off, and even if we don't, please don't use it. It does use up gobs of bandwidth we'd much rather see used for gaming.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ok, thanks for the info everyone. Looks like I have to begin saving up...

Brex123 on
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    How awesome is BYOC? Really?

I'm not all that interested in gaming at PAX. I mean, I game all year long. I do other stuff at PAX. But BYOC is so popular, I figure I'm just dumb and I'm missing something really cool.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Brex123 wrote: »

Brex, you have the right idea in that you definitely should not bring a desktop on a plane with you. However, it does seem a bit silly to buy a whole new laptop for this. I believe the suggestion BigRed would make in this situation would be to ship your computer ahead of time to the hotel you will be staying up. I know many people do this who are in your situation. You could ask BigRed for best choice of courier, but I know that hotels are quite happy to accept a package for you and hold it until you arrive.

Wormdundee on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Wormdundee wrote: »

Brex, you have the right idea in that you definitely should not bring a desktop on a plane with you. However, it does seem a bit silly to buy a whole new laptop for this. I believe the suggestion BigRed would make in this situation would be to ship your computer ahead of time to the hotel you will be staying up. I know many people do this who are in your situation. You could ask BigRed for best choice of courier, but I know that hotels are quite happy to accept a package for you and hold it until you arrive.

I swore I had that in the FAQ...
    (ill add it later today)

Yeah if you really want to bring a desktop, shipping it ahead of you to the hotel you are staying at is the best option.
    Fedex is probably the best method for that (Personal bias, i despise UPS :P) plus at the end of PAX theres a fedex shipping center on the bottom level of the WSCTC.

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Well, I was due for a new computer anyways. I have had my current one for about 3 or 4 years (can't even run Half-Life 2), and my parents were even wondering if I wanted a new one.

Brex123 on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm excited to join BYOC this year! Yay! =) I just have to make sure to keep my eye open for when registration starts. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    ashridahashridah Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Well, I was due for a new computer anyways. I have had my current one for about 3 or 4 years (can't even run Half-Life 2), and my parents were even wondering if I wanted a new one.

Get a gaming laptop? then, if you need the cash later on, hock it, and replace it with a desktop...

ashridah on
  • Options
    Pat McRotchPat McRotch Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Wow, I wish my parents wondered if I wanted a new notebook! Looks like I am stuck with my tx2510 :/ Otherwise known as the HP Hotrock.

Pat McRotch on
    xPat+McR0tch.png
    patmcrotch.png
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    How will BYOC tickets be announced? Will Gabe/Tycho make a newspost or do I need to watch this thread?

Azio on
  • Options
    ZankaboZankabo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Azio wrote: »
    How will BYOC tickets be announced? Will Gabe/Tycho make a newspost or do I need to watch this thread?

Usually an e-mail goes out. When you bought your tickets you need to have selected that you want to be notified when the BYOC opens, at least if I recall correctly.

Zankabo on
    Better a witty fool than to have a foolish wit....
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Zankabo wrote: »
    Usually an e-mail goes out. When you bought your tickets you need to have selected that you want to be notified when the BYOC opens, at least if I recall correctly.

Yes, there was an option for that. It should also go up on the main PA blog, hopefully, and you will see it here as well.

Brex123 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I suggest you watch the thread, last year BYOC sold out before it went up on the front page. Id wager this year will be similar.

Alternatively you can follow PAX_BYOC on twitter and ill announce it there as well.

BigRed on
  • Options
    spydeyspydey Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Thanks for the twitter tip.

spydey on
    cp468kw5.gif
  • Options
    algorhythm3.14algorhythm3.14 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    spydey wrote: »

seconded. Also, is there a PSU max like some crappy LANs have? Surely you experts would measure such a thing based on actual draw rather than max rating anyway, but just wondering. (Have a massive PSU drawing nowhere near rated max power)

algorhythm3.14 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    spydey wrote: »

seconded. Also, is there a PSU max like some crappy LANs have? Surely you experts would measure such a thing based on actual draw rather than max rating anyway, but just wondering. (Have a massive PSU drawing nowhere near rated max power)

no PSU limit, but if there are a group of 6 dudes on a single circuit who all have like 2kw PSU's and a ton of cores/hdds/etc and they start tripping the circuit, we will probably shift you guys around.

BigRed on
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    hey Big Red,

Is there an order that the notifications come out? Just wondering since I've been going to PAX for 5 years and I've never missed a BYOC but i always registered like the DAY pax is announced. This year, i registered today... I don't want to miss out! I'm following the byoc on twitter though. You might want to ping that so people remember you exist... and can make sure they're following you.

-A

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    no order, it will be blasted out to everyone at once when it goes live.

BigRed on
  • Options
    IcedhopeIcedhope Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Are they're any rules for bringinh a laptop?

Icedhope on
    Look! Another ReMake!
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Icedhope wrote: »
    Are they're any rules for bringinh a laptop?
    Q: Can I bring a laptop with my desktop?
    A: Yes as long as you stay within your 30" of table space. Although remember you only get one network port per seat.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
This discussion has been closed.