As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dwarf Fortress: Be sure to "neuter" your cats at the butcher's shop

• Options
    MifioMifio MrrlendRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    hmxmoss wrote: »
    Mifio wrote: »
    Is there ever going to be another one of those PA Dwarf Fort sharing groups?

What do you mean by "sharing groups?" Succession/bloodline game? If so, Oceanside is currently in progress. Just need someone to take the next turn (and update uploaded on the last turn).

Yea, sharing groups does mean the oceanside game, I totally blanked while writing the post. I read up to seven and it stopped. I had figured it ended there. The next person to take a turn died horribly and never uploaded it.
    Who had it last?

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    hmxmosshmxmoss Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    hmxmoss wrote: »
    Is there ever going to be another one of those PA Dwarf Fort sharing groups?

What do you mean by "sharing groups?" Succession/bloodline game? If so, Oceanside is currently in progress. Just need someone to take the next turn (and update uploaded on the last turn).

Yea, sharing groups does mean the oceanside game, I totally blanked while writing the post. I read up to seven and it stopped. I had figured it ended there. The next person to take a turn died horribly and never uploaded it.
    Who had it last?

jdarksun has completed a turn that isn't up on the wiki page yet. He did summarize it in the previous DF thread.

No one has stepped forward yet to take the next turn.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My Metalsmith just made a copper and quartz ring named "Carnalrinse, the growl of vegetating"

o_O

-edit-

Oh crap, and now this from another...

dwarfcoat.jpg

I think they're staging a religious play. 'Adil and the amazing monocolor dwarfcoat'

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    We are under siege by Skeletal Two-humped Camels. When they first arrived the Carpenter and th three miners prepared themselves for battle and sallied forth to slay the vile monsters. Long tales will be told of the fury of the lone dwarf who walked out of that red-sand valley.

Now the forge rings night and day as the smithy, his heart black with fury at the loss of his lover to the horrible hooves, beats the mountain's copper heart into armor and weapons. Soon he and the survivor of the massacre will be outfitted with fine shields and stout spears, and the vile camels will taste the wrath of Dwarfs!
    More likely, they will die horribly. Whatever. CHARGE!

Edit: Nevermind, the camels left. Strike the earth!

Edit: And now the smithy has gone insane and is beating one of the farmers to death. The survivor has calmed down since his last bout of smashing the dining room, but I imagine the imminent death of the farmer will push him back over the edge. Incoming death spiral!

Edit: Success! The outpost manager, after being drafted, has beaten the insane smithy to death.

Edit: This keeps getting better and better. Almost without fail, whenever an unhappy dwarf leaves a meeting with the outpost manager, said dwarf throws a tantrum. I imagine the session involves a lot of mocking of the angry dwarf's dead friends and loved ones.

Mongrel Idiot on
  • Options
    BartinyouBartinyou Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Curious query:

Should I go with a magma creature vs goblin arena or a Giant Eagle spawning pit with goblins for food?
    This question alone is holding me back on my current fort.

Note: I'd rather do one or the other for design purposes, though doing both would be kinky.

Bartinyou on
  • Options
    WoggleWoggle OheoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Bartinyou wrote: »
    Curious query:

Should I go with a magma creature vs goblin arena or a Giant Eagle spawning pit with goblins for food?
    This question alone is holding me back on my current fort.

Note: I'd rather do one or the other for design purposes, though doing both would be kinky.

If you can run a big enough map, what's stopping you from doing both?

Woggle on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ok, second pair of traders to come through, and I have a multitude of crafts and ore, and yet I can't trade with them at all. Why is that?!

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DkarrdeDkarrde Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ok, second pair of traders to come through, and I have a multitude of crafts and ore, and yet I can't trade with them at all. Why is that?!

First, you need to 'b'uild a 'D'epot.

Then, you need to 'r'equest that your broker head to the depot. Make sure that the dwarf you've requested at the depot is not otherwise occupied -- you can't stop him from eating, sleeping, drinking, or Bringing Items to the Depot, but you can turn off all his other labors. If he's on break, you can 'q'uery his status, then 'A'ctivate and then de-'A'ctivate him to kill the break.

After that, you have to make sure 'g'oods are available for trade at the depot. From the 'g'oods list at the depot, select the items you want hauled there for trade. Once they've been hauled, they'll change from being marked [PENDING] in the goods list to [TRADING].

Once all the merchants are there at your depot, as well as your goods and broker, you can 't'rade with them.

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Dkarrde wrote: »

First, you need to 'b'uild a 'D'epot.

Then, you need to 'r'equest that your broker head to the depot. Make sure that the dwarf you've requested at the depot is not otherwise occupied -- you can't stop him from eating, sleeping, drinking, or Bringing Items to the Depot, but you can turn off all his other labors. If he's on break, you can 'q'uery his status, then 'A'ctivate and then de-'A'ctivate him to kill the break.

After that, you have to make sure 'g'oods are available for trade at the depot. From the 'g'oods list at the depot, select the items you want hauled there for trade. Once they've been hauled, they'll change from being marked [PENDING] in the goods list to [TRADING].

Once all the merchants are there at your depot, as well as your goods and broker, you can 't'rade with them.

Found out, thanks.

I hate Elfs...

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is there something similar to Rodney for dwarf fortress? Or even an IRC channel where everyone tends to hang out?

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    The One Dark KnightThe One Dark Knight Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Elves never bring you anything useful. Cut down enough trees and trade them enough bloody animal skins that you go to war with them, and then enjoy slaughtering the sissies.

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    EkkosangenEkkosangen Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    seabass wrote: »
    Is there something similar to Rodney for dwarf fortress? Or even an IRC channel where everyone tends to hang out?

No IRC channel that I know of, but we could do something about that. Preferably on slashnet, where all the other PA stuff seems to be.

Unlike Nethack, Dwarf Fortress does not have an online option. It would be neat, but that would be up to Toady One.

Also, Team Ant forever!

Ekkosangen on
    eG6Oz.jpg
    <+Arco> You can totally bone with a baby in there. If you bump up against something, just apologize to the little dude and adjust.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Elves never bring you anything useful. Cut down enough trees and trade them enough bloody animal skins that you go to war with them, and then enjoy slaughtering the sissies.

That.
    Is.
    Epic.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Epic? What? I do that every single day. What's really epic is capturing elves and making them go insane, letting them fight each other to the death. The winner gets to meet the world famous champion marksdwarf.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    They occaisionally DO bring awesome shit like tame Giant Eagles and Elephants and etcetera.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yeah I remember a memorable(lulwhat?) fortress where I had a Giant Eagle with a gold chain outside my fort.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    How well do high end processors do on a 16x16 map?

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    TVs_Frank wrote: »
    How well do high end processors do on a 16x16 map?

a hundred cats, a few hundred thousand coins, and 150-200 dwarves tend to bring any processor to it's knees.

That said, don't mint coins. Your accountant will be pissy, but it's better than low FPS.

Ekkosangen on
    eG6Oz.jpg
    <+Arco> You can totally bone with a baby in there. If you bump up against something, just apologize to the little dude and adjust.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Xtarath wrote: »
    Epic? What? I do that every single day. What's really epic is capturing elves and making them go insane, letting them fight each other to the death. The winner gets to meet the world famous champion marksdwarf.

I'm not that good, GOD.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Fellow dwarfs, I give you... Furnacestorm:

Furnacestorm.png

Okay, so it's a pretty bland description, but the name is awesome, and it is worth 156K drubles.

(Yes, I did say drubles. So what, you wanna fight about it?)

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yes.

Also Drubles was a brand of bubble gum in Harry Potter.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Is there anyway to increase the flow of a brook? Should I channel out the whole thing, or will that not matter?

I built a long channel, pump, etc. to get water into the fortress. After a while, I went to check on its progress, and it's not moving anywhere. I check the brook (didn't think to do so before), and it's only 2/7 at the point where I'm getting the water. There's just not enough push down my channels.

And it's slowly getting worse... I now notice that the brook is dry at the end where it runs off the map, and due to the temperate, that dry portion is receding, slowly but surely.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's been a while, when trading what do the white/brown names on the items mean again?

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    It's been a while, when trading what do the white/brown names on the items mean again?

Just from my experiences; White is stuff they will trade for, and brown is stuff they either really like, or would just accept as a free offering.

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I have to say, the currency debate is making me really sad. It's dimdums, people. The name is charming and eccentric, just like the game is charming and eccentric. I thought we were all together on this.

You non-dimdummers are tearing this family apart! :cry:

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Brown items are something your dwarves have made, while white named items tend to be items that were not made in your fortress.

Ekkosangen on
    eG6Oz.jpg
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh, so only brown items will count toward your exported value?

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    gilrain wrote: »
    I have to say, the currency debate is making me really sad. It's dimdums, people. The name is charming and eccentric, just like the game is charming and eccentric. I thought we were all together on this.

You non-dimdummers are tearing this family apart! :cry:

Drubles forever, d*md*ms never!!!

EDIT: Considering every dwarf fortress mints their own coins, I don't see that it really matters. My dwarfs call their monetary units "drubles", so there. Now what we need is an interfortress monetary exchange.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

All I know is, the Giant Cave Spider Silk Socks that these stupid (and now dead) Kobolds were wearing are making me serious bank with the trade caravans.

Also, I call Dwarven Currency Dinkum.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    BorogoveBorogove Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    rayofash wrote: »
    What can you do with turtle shells and how do you use them? I have a ton of them.

The DF wiki has the answers to this and many other questions, but don't let that stop you asking here, since it gives us something to talk about.

Once I get my fortress up and running, I tend to keep one craft workshop alternating Decorate-with-bone/Decorate-with-shell, and another doing stone crafts (until I have a better source of income) and bone bolts (for archery practice).

Borogove on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My dwarfs refuse to put the bars they met in a stockpile right next to the furnaces.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    MuddBudd wrote: »

All I know is, the Giant Cave Spider Silk Socks that these stupid (and now dead) Kobolds were wearing are making me serious bank with the trade caravans.

Also, I call Dwarven Currency Dinkum.

Now that is just a disgrace.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Why is it when a kobold started to steal something, my military that was ON DUTY did NOTHING.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I call the dwarf currency "Zorkmids". Even though I've never played zork; someone just called them that once and the name stuck in my head.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    ./sigh, my first legendary.

And its a toy.

Damn. I was hoping for some uber furniture, or, or maybe an epic weapon. But no. A pine wood axe...

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Curse-TenCurse-Ten Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Grah, haveb't been playing much as I'm working back stage for my school musical but luckily I do have some tings to report. My wrestlers keep injuring themselves so i'm putting them off duty till they get their crossbows and start training in that field. My two champions should be enough for patrol till the other ones are finished. I do finally ahvea source of shell coming in so I'm pretty stoked about that. Now all I need to do is get a Broker with the appraise skill and I'm set.

Curse-Ten on
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Are these great video tutorials in the OP? They're what made the game feel a lot more accessible for me.

Also, on a completely random note, this is an awesome bedroom layout.

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    OH ARMOK GOBLIN SIEGE IS WIPING ME OUT IM NOT READY!!!1!

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    ociousocious Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Can I get in on the Oceanside succession game? I've playing an unhealthy amount of this game lately. I'm on a mac though ...

ocious on
    Life is a ____ , depending on how you dress her.
  • Options
    SporklordSporklord Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I managed to make a nifty waterfall in my sculpture garden, but it seems the water doesn't pump up z levels fast enough. The top of the waterfall will be 1/7 while the bottom stays 7/7. The pumps work fast enough for there not to be any flooding, but the 1/7 at the top means there is a slight bit of evaporation. After about a year the waterfall runs dry.

So my question: would adding more power to the pump machine system increase the speed of water rising to the top? or do I need more concurrent pumps?

Sporklord on
This discussion has been closed.