As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dwarf Fortress: Be sure to "neuter" your cats at the butcher's shop

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well so far I'm actually digging the 3D aspect of the new version.

But I'm missing the stereotyped layout. I haven't seen any ore so far and I'm at a total loss on how to start up underground mining since I haven't seen any dirt and I'm afraid of trying to tap into any of the ponds over my fort.

My dwarves can't live off of berries forever.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

But I'm missing the stereotyped layout. I haven't seen any ore so far and I'm at a total loss on how to start up underground mining since I haven't seen any dirt and I'm afraid of trying to tap into any of the ponds over my fort.

Tapping into the ponds is pretty safe as long as you have enough room for the water to spread out before you dig into the pond. As for ore, dig deep and wide.

Couscous on
  • Options
    MifioMifio MrrlendRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Whats a safe way to gather obsidion? I don't know how to create a pump. Is there a way I can mine into magma without setting my workers on fire?

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Couscous wrote: »

Tapping into the ponds is pretty safe as long as you have enough room for the water to spread out before you dig into the pond. As for ore, dig deep and wide.

I tend to mine out grids of tunnels, and then dig up any ore veins they come across.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    wavecutter wrote: »
    Forgot to mention one wagon made it into the depot lickety split.

I've actually run into this issue a few times myself. Most of the caravan moves at a decent speed, but one or two wagons end up taking what seems like months to move across the map. Logically, I would think that those ultra-slow wagons have massive loads of stone or something else, but this is Dwarf Fortress. "Logic" has no place here.

Anyway, I have no idea how to prevent it or fix it. I'm pretty sure this glitch even caused me to somehow get no more dwarf caravans for the rest of one fortress' existence (which turned out to be something like ten years after caravans stopped showing up and I got bored).

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Can someone remind me how to reserve barrels for my brewer?

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I tend to mine out grids of tunnels, and then dig up any ore veins they come across.
    How far apart do you space your stuff? The veins are usually fairly wide or tall for me, and I don't really care about any of the cluster stuff except for the rare native ore so I usually space my lines out two shift+directions.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Note to self: next time bring less food and more silk. Damn fey moods.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Never forget shells. I need to figure out how to play the adventure mode. As soon as I start out, should I go to a town or should I just explore?

Couscous on
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Town. Murder all the children you see.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Never forget shells. I need to figure out how to play the adventure mode. As soon as I start out, should I go to a town or should I just explore?

Well I always bring turtle as my main starting ration. Also my fisherdwarf was catching them by the bucket full. So she picked up the shell that she needed, no problem. The silk I had no chance of getting.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Curse-TenCurse-Ten Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I was so certain that one of my craftdwarves was going to die after he got into a fey mood that I built the coffin before he even finished collecting his items. He didn't and built a pick out of bone. Now I can't find it.

Curse-Ten on
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Make separate food stockpiles for food and drink ("q" then "s" on the stockpile to set its settings I think). Then lower the number of barrels the actual food stockpile can use.

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    How far apart do you space your stuff? The veins are usually fairly wide or tall for me, and I don't really care about any of the cluster stuff except for the rare native ore so I usually space my lines out two shift+directions.

I just kind of eyeball it. 10-20 spaces on average.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Note to self: If you start over and bring some silk bring that shit inside before it gets stolen by monkeys.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    TVs_Frank wrote: »

Make separate food stockpiles for food and drink ("q" then "s" on the stockpile to set its settings I think). Then lower the number of barrels the actual food stockpile can use.
    No, what he means is this: open the stockpile designation menu with "p", then you'll see the settings for reserved bins and reserved barrels at the bottom. Reserved bins aren't used for anything at the moment so that one is pointless. You can increase the number of reserved barrels to make the dwarves save that many for jobs that use barrels in them like brewing, instead of using them all for food storage.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    TVs_Frank wrote: »

No, what he means is this: open the stockpile designation menu with "p", then you'll see the settings for reserved bins and reserved barrels at the bottom. Reserved bins aren't used for anything at the moment so that one is pointless. You can increase the number of reserved barrels to make the dwarves save that many for jobs that use barrels in them like brewing, instead of using them all for food storage.

Ahhh nice. I'll have have to try that.

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Okay I have a problem, i'm trying to get a military set up for the eventual Kobold invasion or what not. However my military dwarves just won't pick up their weapons. I've designated them on the military then weapons screen but they end up all becoming wrestlers.

Curse-Ten on
  • Options
    FendallFendall Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If they are busy sparring or whatever they will finish what they are doing before running off to grab their new weapons. Other than that, check the weapons:

1) Exist, check the stocks menu. Z>stocks>weapons
    2) Arn't forbidden, designated for dumping or melting. Again the stocks menu will show them with an F or M if they are.
    3) Your dwarves have a path to them.

Also there can sometimes be conflicts between civilian occupations and military weapons. Miners and Woodcutters use picks and axes. Turn off any civvie skills.

Fendall on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Okay thanks hopefully that will help a lot.

Curse-Ten on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My work computer isn't good enough to run the newest MayDay graphical version. *pout*

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You really want to train dudes up as wrestlers anyway

novices with weapons tend to kill themselves a lot

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It's more novices with high strength and no armor and shield that kill themselves a lot.

BAH! Every time I try to plan out the fort layout in advance, I run into a chasm or cave river or something that borks the whole damn thing up! WHYYYY

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    noweatnoweat Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    attempting first fortress. as luck would have(or lack thereof) my first place has no soil and i cant seem to gather any berries, so i'm off to irrigate. but i can't seem to get water from the river to go to my farm plot on the same level. is that how it suppose to work?

noweat on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Is the farm area on the same level as the surface of the water, or the same level as the riverbed? It needs to be below the surface level of the water to get water to flow over on to it. But, if you just dig a hole next to the river, it will flood and be useless. So what you need to do is only let it fill with a small amount of water and then close it off from the river with a floodgate hooked up to a lever.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's more novices with high strength and no armor and shield that kill themselves a lot.

BAH! Every time I try to plan out the fort layout in advance, I run into a chasm or cave river or something that borks the whole damn thing up! WHYYYY

Give em armor and shields but no weapons to start

Wrestling also improves guys dodging ability and up their stats fairly safely

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I know, I usually do that nexus. Although lately I've taken to skipping that part and starting them with weapons because otherwise they seem to be stuck as wrestlers forever due to their wrestling skill staying ahead of their weapon skill.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    noweatnoweat Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is the farm area on the same level as the surface of the water, or the same level as the riverbed? It needs to be below the surface level of the water to get water to flow over on to it. But, if you just dig a hole next to the river, it will flood and be useless. So what you need to do is only let it fill with a small amount of water and then close it off from the river with a floodgate hooked up to a lever.

=(

i made a farm zone<<flood control<<surface river, with doors and levers. basically i'm boned, since it sounds like i needed to do this at the river bed level?

noweat on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    jdarksun wrote: »
    They'll eventually turn into champions, in which case their highest "weapon" skill is irrelevant.
    Wait, what? Does this mean that if I have a Champion Wrestler and I assign him a spear that he'll fight as well as a legendary speardwarf?

Mongrel Idiot on
  • Options
    PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So if I collapse the ground beneath a brook, will the water fill the now deeper space, or will it pump the same amount of water into a larger riverbed?

Basically I want to make it something that is actually an obstacle rather than just something that gets the goblins wet before they attack my fortress.

PsychoLarry1 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    noweat wrote: »

=(

i made a farm zone<<flood control<<surface river, with doors and levers. basically i'm boned, since it sounds like i needed to do this at the river bed level?
    Yeah, the floor of the farm area needs to be below the surface of the water basically.

So if I collapse the ground beneath a brook, will the water fill the now deeper space, or will it pump the same amount of water into a larger riverbed?

Basically I want to make it something that is actually an obstacle rather than just something that gets the goblins wet before they attack my fortress.

Brooks are special, they're kind of a jury-rigged way of having flowing water you can wade through. They're basically like bigger rivers except they have invisible floors on top that can be walked over, but don't prevent fishing/drinking. To turn it into something that can't be waded through, simply channel out the brook tiles on the surface to remove the invisible floor.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Okay so I decided to restart my file at the beggining of Autumn, I somehow managed to get the only two kids in my frtress kidnapped and since I don't want them kidnapped I decided to say "screw this" and restart. So how do I asssign military people to watch over them and to patrol the upper moutains?

Curse-Ten on
  • Options
    Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    They'll eventually turn into champions, in which case their highest "weapon" skill is irrelevant.
    Wait, what? Does this mean that if I have a Champion Wrestler and I assign him a spear that he'll fight as well as a legendary speardwarf?
    No, it means they'll be called a "champion" regardless of their skill level in any weapon.

They'll still use whatever weapon you assign them, and perform at that weapon's respective skill level.
    Oh, gotcha. That's what I thought, but the way I read your post made it seem otherwise.

I do love me some Champion wrestlers, though. Virtually no sparring injuries, and supported by marksdwarves they're destructive.

Mongrel Idiot on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I do love me some Champion wrestlers, though. Virtually no sparring injuries, and supported by marksdwarves they're destructive.
    And currently bugged to skill up way, way faster than any other weapon training.
    Oh so that is why. Heh.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Oh balls, my fey glassmaker wants glass -.- Guess someone else will have to make it.
    Woot mood success.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    hmxmosshmxmoss Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Okay, let's see your artifact [l]ist:
    artifacts206.png
    The last item is a turtle shell crown.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    FendallFendall Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is there any way of making troops unequip artifact armour? I have electrum platemail and a platinum high boot, which I thought was pretty awesome. However Adamantite armor is still better, but I can't get my champion to drop them.

Fendall on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I don't think you can make them drop artifact armor. They'll keep it on them till they have some fun I believe but I'm not sure.

Curse-Ten on
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Couldn't you tell them to wear, leather armor? Then snatch up and forbid the artifacts from being used? I thought this worked previously, if I'm wrong I apologize.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Is this what always happens with artifact crafts? They just seem to disappear after they're made. I wish I could trade them away for lots of stuff.

TVs_Frank on
This discussion has been closed.