As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

AT&T hates me?

FFFF Once Upon a TimeIn OaklandRegistered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
My ISP is Speakeasy and I actually have nothing bad to say about them. Unfortunately they have to use AT&T's lines, just like everyone else out here (Comcast being the exception)

I recently switched apartment units, I'm still on the same floor and actually only 6 units away from my original one that had DSL. In attempting to move my DSL line to the new unit, AT&T ran into some sort of issue with the line on their end (somewhere in the street possibly). The tech from AT&T didn't really give me any specifics. I was hoping someone here might be able to decipher what this last message from AT&T to my ISP means:
ATT West management has advised that they are holding this order due to
no F1/F2 facilities for this customer. This order has been referred to
the ATT West engineering department to attempt to redesign new
facilities. ATT West engineering has up to 05/13/2009 to assign new
facilities or cancel the order if there are no facilities available.
The work logs on this order will be updated further within 05/13/2009.
Should the ATT West take longer than 3 business days, Covad
Provisioning will contact the ATT West management for resolution and
will update this order further via the work log.

I just find it a little hard to believe that they're having issues with one particular set of lines to the building when all other lines seem to be working fine.

Huh...
FF on

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    As far as I can tell, they just don't have a junction box or cable run to that unit.

Were the last tenets on DISH, or something?

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    As far as I can tell, they just don't have a junction box or cable run to that unit.

Were the last tenets on DISH, or something?

Hrmm, as in there's no line from the buildings phone closet to the unit? That seems...suspect, seeing as how there are two phone jacks in the unit.

No idea what the former tenant had. Maybe they were hermits. They sure as shit never cleaned their tub....

Ah well. I've tried calling ATT but they say I need to talk to my ISP.

FF on
    Huh...
  • Options
    ascannerlightlyascannerlightly Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    if the problem is with their (at&t) lines, which it sounds like it is, then it is their issue to resolve - but since you are a speakeasy customer and not an at&t customer (for the dsl, at least) then yes, you need to call speakeasy. as the customer you shouldn't be doing the work of badgering at&t to get their shit in order, they should.

ascannerlightly on
    armedroberty.jpg
  • Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    if the problem is with their (at&t) lines, which it sounds like it is, then it is their issue to resolve - but since you are a speakeasy customer and not an at&t customer (for the dsl, at least) then yes, you need to call speakeasy. as the customer you shouldn't be doing the work of badgering at&t to get their shit in order, they should.

I've already talked to Speakeasy, they've been trying to get ATT to give a date sooner than 5.16.09 but they're basically at the mercy of AT&T (and they said Ma Bell had gone away). I know ATT is going to take as long as they want because, hey, fuck the customers.

I'm mostly just curious as to what's actually wrong since the ATT tech wouldn't give me any details, and ATT won't give Speakeasy any details. Just nebulous "problems somewhere between the building and the ATT box, we're ATT you don't need details puny customer".

FF on
    Huh...
  • Options
    ascannerlightlyascannerlightly Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    not an official source, but this guy sounds like he knows what he's talking about (in regards to what f1/f2 is)

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r18657054-F2-Conditioning

from the look of it: problems somewhere between the building and the ATT box, we're ATT you don't need details puny customer. you could possibly bluff speakeasy into working a little harder on at&t by mentioning to them how cheap cable internet is. you also might consider (as a nuclear option) mentioning the fcc. you'd be surprised how far you can get with just three little letters.

ascannerlightly on
    armedroberty.jpg