As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Trek: Disease And Danger Wrapped In Darkness And Silence

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The phasers being actual turrets now instead of generic light beams from some indiscriminate point on the ship is so rad.

Weaver on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    edit: also, the imdb rating is a bit scary.. it keeps getting higher and higher

Dude, The Dark Knight was the #1 movie of all-time on the IMDb rankings for a while, and even now it's in the top 10.

Don't take those idiots seriously.

I know I know.. I just hope this movie is successful, and not too many people are driven away by the nerd stench of previous times <.<

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    this movie is already successful

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Owenashi wrote: »
    are those books that good? I'm craving for some great sci-fi reading, and if it's great star trek, the better

'Prime Directive' was one of the inspirations for the new movie's plot if that's a good enough recommendation besides my own.

As for the Vanguard series, it's pretty sweet so far with the fourth book released recentlly. Think DS9 with more Section 31-like cloak-n-dagger business going on in the background with a three-way struggle going on between Starfleet, the Klingons and the Tholians over bizzare stuff found in the region of space Vanguard's located at. Some of the good stuff includes...
    ...the chief UFP ambassador on the station and which happens to look a lot like Zorak from 'Space Ghost', a Vulcan officer who's suffering from an unusual but familiar mental affliction due to a Pon-Farr gone wrong, a reporter with a small tie to DS9 who's life is purposefully wrecked by Vanguard's top officers to hide what's going on, and a whole planet getting glassed over by a Starfleet ship with Federation colonists STILL on it.

well I just got both for 10€ from amazon, I'll be pretty pissed at you if they suck!

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'd say it's already successful

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    FUCKING SHUT UP BALE YOU'RE NOT MY REAL DAD

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh hey, I own that Prime Directive book. It's pretty good, though I haven't read it in a while.

Can I talk about more Trek books in here, or would that be too geeky?

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    rightfully, because it's a damn fun movie and not just 2 hours of bad fan-wankery like the last two movies in the franchise
    this movie was exactly what was needed, and did exactly what was needed. and it's fun! what more can one want?
    more green titties

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    "I don't think you like that I beat your test."

Weaver on
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Saw this Friday, fuckawesome.

I kinda wish they hadn't skipped over the WHOLE academy (three years later? what the fuck man) I wanted my Finnegan fix, but maybe in the extended director's cut DVD or something I dunno.

As for series, clearly you must watch every episode of TOS, though at least the first season and half..

TNG is good too but pretty uneven in the first 2 seasons, what with the writer's strike and all. It didn't really hit it's stride until the 3rd season. I'd say 3-5 are the best, I kinda stopped watching it when it became General Hospital in fucking Space what with Troy and Worf dating and shit.

Oh that reminds me
    Spock and Uhura bumping uglies? Whaa??

I loved Kirk's pickup line though, I have to remember that one
    Tell me your name or I'll have to make one up for you..
    :^:

jwalk on
  • Options
    Ness445Ness445 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh hey, I own that Prime Directive book. It's pretty good, though I haven't read it in a while.

don't make me want to read Trek books I have been assured by Pony they are almost always bad and I don't want to be led down the same road that my Star Wars fandom led me down.

Ness445 on
    4445.gif
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Heh, here's a NSFW review about three old-school Star Trek games, one of said games I actually played and beat (with a little help from Nintendo Power).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CNddEz9dak

On a related note, has anyone tried that Star Trek: D-A-C game they released along with the new movie? I'm curious to know if it's any good or not.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    "I like this ship! It's exciting" was delivered so awesomely in the movie

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    "I'd rather not take sides."

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    "No. NO!. Ya' canna come wit me."

"*meep*"

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    the best part of the movie was when
    sulu pulled out that fucking space katana and went to town on some bitches

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Bones was the best.

Spock, too.

Kirk was a tiny bit overdone in 1-2 scenes but still good.

Both Scotty and Chekov were just ridiculous.

I was a little disappointed in Sulu too, except for the 1 fight scene all his scenes were a little flat.

What can you say about Uhuru... oh.. emm.. gee...

jwalk on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ness445 wrote: »

don't make me want to read Trek books I have been assured by Pony they are almost always bad and I don't want to be led down the same road that my Star Wars fandom led me down.

I don't mind myself, so go right ahead with the Trek-book talk. :)

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Sulu had the sword fight and the Asians can't drive scene.

I feel like there could have been more (also I want a Takei cameo so badly.)

Ness445 on
    4445.gif
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    so um

why the hell does picard wear a red shirt?

does the captain just wear whatever the hell he wants?

Joolander on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    that accent on chekov was ridiculous

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited May 2009
    new clee arr wessels

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The thing to take into account with Kirk is that originally his dad was there to help raise him and Kirk was still stubborn and willful but not as arrogant. This new Kirk grew up without that influence, so he was more self-righteous and rebellious.

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Joolander wrote: »
    so um

it's not red, it's merlot

and it's because picard is a boss

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited May 2009
    so um

it's not red, it's merlot

and it's because picard is a boss

also, they changed the uniforms for TNG!

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    so um

Have you looked at how many times the real army/navy/whatever has changed uniforms in the last hundred years?

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    also I feel Pegg worked well for Scotty given the little bit of time he had. but seeing as he will be a full-fledged crewmember in the (inevitable) sequels, they could stand to tone down on his ridiculousness.

Ness445 on
    4445.gif
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    jwalk wrote: »
    Bones was the best.

Spock, too.

Kirk was a tiny bit overdone in 1-2 scenes but still good.

Both Scotty and Chekov were just ridiculous.

I was a little disappointed in Sulu too, except for the 1 fight scene all his scenes were a little flat.

What can you say about Uhuru... oh.. emm.. gee...

They made Scotty and Chekov ridiculous?
    Holy Fuck I would have never thought that would happen in Star Trek

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Weaver wrote: »
    The thing to take into account with Kirk is that originally his dad was there to help raise him and Kirk was still stubborn and willful but not as arrogant. This new Kirk grew up without that influence, so he was more self-righteous and rebellious.
    I got that, but the Kobiashi Maru scene, he played it just a biiiit too cocky.

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    well, what do you expect. scotty just got
    teleported from sleeping in a forgotten frozen hell-hole to seeing every inhabited world that is not romulan in peril
    that may excite some people!

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    well, what do you expect. he just got
    teleported from sleeping in a forgotten frozen hell-hole to seeing every inhabited world that is not romulan in peril
    but I thought Romulan would be in the MOST peril!

Given the whole
    supernova
    thing. (though that is clearly a long way off. Isn't Scotty stilll alive then anyway?)

Ness445 on
    4445.gif
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    jwalk wrote: »
    I got that, but the Kobiashi Maru scene, he played it just a biiiit too cocky.

If you were in that situation, you would too.

Also, I'll have you all know that "naked robber" was one of Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry's favorite party games.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    When Nero's second in command hails the Kelvin, the first thought that popped into my mind was "How did they know what video and audio codecs to use?"

And then I felt like I should just slap myself and get it over with.

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I've said it before and I'll say it until I die.

Kobayashi Maru is the best goddamn sequence solely because Kirk is a smug motherfucker during it.

Ness445 on
    4445.gif
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    so um

Have you looked at how many times the real army/navy/whatever has changed uniforms in the last hundred years?

yeah, but the army doesnt usually wear blue, and the navy doesnt wear green (at least on the ships)

anyways, im not what you would call a fan

i just thought maybe someone had answers

Joolander on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    so um

They changed the color scheme for the 24th century!

Red now indicates security and command. Gold (or green really), now indicates, if anything in particular, engineering.

Seriously on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    that scene with scotty
    where he's stuck in the coolant tubes

seemed a little out of place to me

real willy wonka type stuff

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    so um

yeah, but the army doesnt usually wear blue, and the navy doesnt wear green (at least on the ships)

anyways, im not what you would call a fan

i just thought maybe someone had answers
    insp_expendability.png

Ness445 on
    4445.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ness445 wrote: »
    well, what do you expect. he just got
    but I thought Romulan would be in the MOST peril!

Given the whole
    supernova
    thing. (though that is clearly a long way off. Isn't Scotty stilll alive then anyway?)

well, they have
    100 years left till that happens. even if they didn't believe nero at all when he told them, the destruction of vulcan could have made him slightly more believable to them
    of course, being insane and all that, maybe he didn't tell them at all.
    But at the end of the movie, it's 100 years until their sun explodes, did I get that right? Nothing too pressing

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    one thing I wished they had changed was star fleet's habit of wearing light sweaters into combat

seriously guys, do you not have space-kevlar or something

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif