As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Abandon Hope, Ye Who Enter [Previews Thread] Avoiding Spoilers

• Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh shit

Thunderstrike is back?

The best news/.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Look at Steve's face in that top right panel. Yeuch.

Solar on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I dunno, I think it has kind of a Jack Kirby thing going on there. Which I like.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    I dunno, I think it has kind of a Jack Kirby thing going on there. Which I like.

See, Jack Kirby did that and it was possibly the only failing in his otherwise great art, but honestly even his faces didn't look so silly. There is another one in the preview which just makes me think "didn't we move on from this?"

Solar on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    BigDes wrote: »
    Oh shit

Thunderstrike is back?

The best news/.

I liked reading Thunderstrike myself. He and War Machine were two of my favorite replacement/copycat heroes at the time. I'm not sure what to think about the 'new Thunderstrike = Shazam' theory that some fans have brought up because of the preview and solicitations for later issues however.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Solar wrote: »
    Munch wrote: »

See, Jack Kirby did that and it was possibly the only failing in his otherwise great art, but honestly even his faces didn't look so silly. There is another one in the preview which just makes me think "didn't we move on from this?"

There is no better way to describe the writing and art of a Tom DeFalco comic than "Didn't we move on from this'

Furu on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Marvel Previews for 10/27.

Deadpool Team-Up looks really fun. Tom Fowler's an amazing artist, and I've heard good things about Cullen Bunn's writing. Add to that a healthy dash of pro-wrestling, and it looks like a winner.

I have to say though, I'm going to be really disappointed if She-Thing doesn't show up. Because she'd be goddamn perfect for this story.

Thunderbolts, Avengers and the Infinity Gauntlet, and Avengers & the Pet Avengers all look good too.

Munch on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That Deadpool Team-up preview does look good. Is the first story arc, issues 899-894 I think, any good? I think the first trade comes out early December and right now I'm just reading the main DP book and maybe the Merc with a Mouth maxiseries when it comes out in trade format.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Secret Avengers looks cool. Shang Chi is no Iron Fist but a guest appearance from John Aman? I'm there. Also Bendis if you cut down on your idiosyncratic dialogue the Avengers could be pretty awesome, so please, do that at some point.

Solar on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Personally, I'd rather Sharon Ventura show up as Sharon Ventura

I dislike it when she's She-Thing

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Odds of anyone mentioning that Wade actually used to be a sumo wrestler in that comic: approximately zero

Furu on
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    lols the captain america preview.
    Did the Winter Soldier kill Kennedy? No, that was a CIA. Plus he was a Skrull.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    That Deadpool Team-up preview does look good. Is the first story arc, issues 899-894 I think, any good? I think the first trade comes out early December and right now I'm just reading the main DP book and maybe the Merc with a Mouth maxiseries when it comes out in trade format.

there are no arcs

it's all done in one stories

deadpool team-up should be bought in singles

so you can just pick up stuff with your favorite writers/characters

just skip the issues you ain't wanna read

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Deadpool and Hercules
    Deadpool and US Ace
    Deadpool and Captain Britain
    Deadpool and Machine Man are the best ones

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    to be fair though

US Ace makes everything better

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    BigDes wrote: »
    Deadpool and Hercules
    Deadpool and US Ace
    Deadpool and Captain Britain
    Deadpool and Machine Man are the best ones

Capt Britain and Machine Man ones were the bomb. Followed closely by the Gorilla Man story.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The Beasts of Burden meet Hellboy.

Yes. Yes, yes, yes.

Seriously, if no one's ever read Beasts of Burden before, go do that.

Munch on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is that panel a reference to...

Like everything Hellboy, I will be buying it. Yesss.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Marvel previews for 11-3

Poor Young Allies #6, but it looks like we get a catfight in the end.

Up in the air about Cap: Man out of Time. It's Mark Waid writing Cap again, but I don't know if it's really necessary like all the other Cap books coming out now. before the movie.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I just posted in the other thread, so #6 is coming out and then it's dead?

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, #7 is the issue that was solicited but won't come out.

I think the annual will still come out though that ties in with Spider-Girl and Avengers Academy.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I guess the good news is I can squeeze YA into the short box in my closet of comics that have ended to make room for something else.

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The Avengers Academy preview is eliciting strange feeling from me. One the one hand I didn't care for Reptil in the initiative, and when the news series started that hadn't changed. The book has so far seemed rather uninteresting and most of the new characters not so enjoyable to read about. But in that preview I suddenly feel more interested about what is going on and also more interested in Reptil. I like the idea of him as a leader, of him being a good guy who wants to keep his team together and make them heroes, despite the multiple issues they have.

The concept is still rather silly (why not interspere the problem students with other heroes, therefore isolating their potential villainity rather than letting them possibly fee of each other's negative emotions and possibly plot together or whatever) but I am starting to get the same feeling that I got from the Thunderbolts in Dark Reign, one of spiralling towards a chaotic conflict, and it's something which I like.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Superboy #1 preview

It has Krypto, so I will buy it. He saves Ma's hat and everything!

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    That actually does look really fun. I think Lemire's sensibilities will fit really well with Superboy. And I'm digging the colored art a lot more than the black and white pages they previewed a while back.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Oh my god yes X-Men Serve and Protect
    xmsap001_int_lr_0001.jpg
    xmsap001_int_lr_0002.jpg
    xmsap001_int_lr_0003.jpg

there are no words for how happy this makes me

Furu on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Rockslide is awesome.

Solar on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I love how Rockslide feels the need to protect his secret identity

and with a hockey mask at that.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

He is basically Casey Jones at this point

Furu on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Did Rockside rip off the Miz's catchphrase?

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Furu wrote: »

He is basically Casey Jones at this point

With the same effectiveness-of-costume that Ollies GA mask has. If you have ridiculously distinctive body-makeup or facial hair, you'll need a better mask/costume. That being said, this is what make Rockslide badass. Can't wait to pick that up.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    DC's preview site has a nice preview of Batgirl #15. First page is in the box with the rest found here.
    bg15dylux1copy.jpg

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    How did Cassandra not make it into that timeline? You'd think Steph would make note of her.

Munch on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah.

Did Stephanie ever even meet Jason Todd?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I couldn't figure out a good place to ask for recommendations, so I'm throwing it in here.

I've always been a comics guy, but never got into the traditional issue-by-issue American comic style. However, one of my favorite games writers is now writing Generation Hope and co-writing Uncanny X-Men, so I went down to my local comic shop to start a subscription. The guy was really cool and let me start those two even though the recommended minimum is five comics. I feel like their coolness has earned my support, and I've got the money to spare so why not.

So my question is what would you guys recommend, given that I'll be jumping into an ongoing story at the next issue? I have broad interests, though in general I prefer even serious stories to have a sense of humor. The big thing is that I don't really want to feel like I have to buy a bunch of back issues or trades to feel like I know what's going on.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    admanb wrote: »
    I couldn't figure out a good place to ask for recommendations, so I'm throwing it in here.

I've always been a comics guy, but never got into the traditional issue-by-issue American comic style. However, one of my favorite games writers is now writing Generation Hope and co-writing Uncanny X-Men, so I went down to my local comic shop to start a subscription. The guy was really cool and let me start those two even though the recommended minimum is five comics. I feel like their coolness has earned my support, and I've got the money to spare so why not.

So my question is what would you guys recommend, given that I'll be jumping into an ongoing story at the next issue? I have broad interests, though in general I prefer even serious stories to have a sense of humor. The big thing is that I don't really want to feel like I have to buy a bunch of back issues or trades to feel like I know what's going on.

Man, Uncanny has an utter crap load of continuity behind it (which makes sense given it's over 500 issues long) but I'd say issue 475 is a good starting point if you're really interested. But if you just want to read what Gillen has written for Marvel so far there's the excellent Beta Ray Bill: Godhunter trade, volumes 4-6 of the current Thor run (the first 3 are well worth reading btw), the S.W.O.R.D. trade, and the Dark Avengers: Ares collection.

Edit: Actually, issue 500 of Uncanny might be a better jumping on point for you. Skip issues 475 through 499 and pick up House of M and Messiah Complex instead.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    As Wirehead said Kieron Gillen wrote a great but very short run on Thor which may appeal to you, especially as it's a little different from superheroes. The series started out written by J. Michael Straczynski, who is just as good as Gillen, and it turned out really well. Just search for Thor Volume 1 on amazing and you'll find it. I'd definately advise getting that as it is certainly a very enjoyable read and starts out with the rebirth of the character, so you don't need to know a lot of the backstory.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Getting the previous Thor volumes would be a much better idea honestly. I guess you could start following Uncanny right now but all six volumes of the current Thor book are must-reads. Oh yeah Thor volume 6 (the last Gillen story) comes out later this month.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Just realize that the the art on Uncanny X-Men when Gillen starts co-writing is terrible stuff, and not indicative of comic art as a whole.

If you like books with a sense of humor, add Thor: Mighty Avenger to your list. It's a retelling of Thor's first days on Earth before he became an Avenger, and it is delightful. And each issue is self contained and only has 5 issue out so far.

Another fun book that should hopefully be written as new reader friendly this coming week is Batgirl. The book gets a new artist with this week's issue (#15), and is a very good fun book. And the artist is one of the best in the industry right now.

I would also recommend the title Superboy, which #1 just came out last week, so you can start on that no problem. It's the Superboy from when Superman died growing up in Smallville, and seems to be running along the same lines as Batgirl in being one of the more fun "family" books to Batman and Superman.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Best comic for anyone who has taste.

Marvel
    -Nova
    -Guardians of the Galaxy
    -Thor
    -Thor: The Mighty Avenger
    -Incredible Hercules
    -Secret Warriors
    -Ultimate Spider-Man

DC
    -Power Girl
    -Batgirl
    -Batman
    -Blue Beetle

Read these books if you are looking for fun and awesomeness.

Solar on