As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Abandon Hope, Ye Who Enter [Previews Thread] Avoiding Spoilers

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'd like to see him appear at least once with a giant "F" on his forehead.

Hensler on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, Batroc needs a new costume.

DouglasDanger on
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't like the 2009 joggin suit costume, but I don't have a problem with the classic costume.

I think i'd even be willing to accept the jogging suit if they made the jacket look more like part of the whole than a separate windbreaker.

MastaP on
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hensler wrote: »
    The only superheroine John Walker would sleep with is Miss America. Or maybe American Dream, if he was ever in the MC2 reality.

Is she dead? Because I don't think that her being an old WW2 vet would necessarily stop him. Assuming the Whizzer isn't around. John Walker's no homewrecker.
    Gank wrote: »
    And he goes from prison warden to prison inmate in one fell swoop.

He just has to wait a while. Then he can give her a birthday present she'll never forget.
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Crimson how do you feel about a Walker/Danvers relationship?

To be honest, I never thought about it. It makes a Hell of a lot more sense than the relationship Reed was pushing between her and Spidey. She may be from Boston, but she's certainly no tax and spendocrat. That's for sure. The problem is that her boyfriends don't tend to last very long, so unless I was writing it Walker would be dead or a brain in a jar in three issues.

Though on that subject, I do think there's potential for sexual tension leading to something between her and Noh-Varr. It's trite to have two people who hate (or at least seriously dislike) each other end up having sex, but I figure it's sitting there for someone to write anyway. Between their two power sets, they could get really freaky, too. I seriously believe though that there are a lot of shippers pining for something between Carol and Jessica Drew (though just until the next DC-Marvel crossover, because there are a lot of images of her with Wonder Woman or Power Girl on DA [Yes, I surfed the Ms Marvel group. There are some awesome pieces by actual comics artists in there, e.g. David Yarvin and Terry Dodson's sketch for the Hero Initiative New Avengers 100]).

Good God. This is my life now. Seriously contemplating fictional characters' sex lives.

I was actually liking the carol danvers / spider man dating that lasted a few issues.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    prv8143_pg3.jpg
    Dang Uatu, you need to start watching some Jenny Craig

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    FAAAAAAAAAAT

Solar on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So Bendis is having the Watcher drawn to look like himself now? Is that some sort of meta-commentary on Marvel's books?

Hensler on
    edited March 2011
    Bendis actually isn't really fat anymore soooo

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited March 2011
    Seriously though

Uatu has always been really skinny with a big head

not fat at all ever

where has his neck gone

Solar on
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    am I REALLY the first one of you to make an Uatu the Weight Watcher joke? REALLY?

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Htown wrote: »
    am I REALLY the first one of you to make an Uatu the Weight Watcher joke? REALLY?

High five.

TexiKen on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    azith28 wrote: »
    I was actually liking the carol danvers / spider man dating that lasted a few issues.
    What a pain to excise that text on this phone.

I didn't hate it at all. It just seemed forced because Reed seemed like he really wanted to write Spidey (since he got his start from working on a Spider-Man video game). Carol being who she is seems down to have dated Walker though because they seem like they'd get along amazingly.

Crimsondude on
    edited March 2011
    Marvel Previews for 3/30

Hello Ultimate X, I thought you would have died of starvation months ago.

And Batroc's in the Cyclops one-shot with groovy Haspiel art. I never saw the Beast one shot at the store, did they just forget about him?

TexiKen on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, apparently. Magneto got the one-shot instead.

Furu on
    edited March 2011
    Avengers keeps getting better and better

This series is so cool. Infinity Gems! The Watcher! Epic old-school Avengers shit is going down!

Solar on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    Seriously though

Uatu has always been really skinny with a big head

not fat at all ever

where has his neck gone

Nah, he used to look like this:

mattermobilizeruatu1.jpg

I want to say Byrne changed his look during the Dark Phoenix Saga, but it might have happened prior to that.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Holy cow. It's Goldfinger.

Crimsondude on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man, Reed is not digging being upstaged by Uatu there.

Linespider5 on
    edited March 2011
    Man, Reed is not digging being upstaged by Uatu there.

Haha

"razzin frazzin Uatu..."

Solar on
    edited April 2011
    This Daredevil cover is amazing.

4d9cc726881c2.jpg

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited April 2011
    wow, that is awesome

DouglasDanger on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, that's really inventive.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited April 2011
    Oh wow

Solar on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I love how he gets his sig right in there so seamlessly too. That's an awesome cover all round.

Wildcat on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I feel like the cover took ages. Also, I can't see the signature. It's that well integrated!

Lux on
    edited April 2011
    Marvel previews for 4/20/11

I like the clean clear rationale for the Underbolts team.

TexiKen on
    edited April 2011
    Lux wrote: »
    I feel like the cover took ages. Also, I can't see the signature. It's that well integrated!

"Paolo Rivera"

DouglasDanger on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Skaar does a goddamn Devil Dinosaur fastball special.

Fan.

Tastic.

Munch on
    edited April 2011
    Yeah I picked up Skaar issue 1 since I wanted to see how Williams handles a not Deadpool book.

Holy shit this is so much fun.

Skaar being greenConan, Ka-Zar trying to mediate caveman politics and giant robots fighting goddamn Devil Dinosaur.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited April 2011
    Moon Knight #1 preview

More Bendis speak than his Avengers stuff.

TexiKen on
    edited April 2011
    I liked it

I am really pumped for Bendis doing Moon Knight

He always does those street level dudes best after all

Solar on
    edited April 2011
    Bendis speak fits his street level stuff a lot better than, say, Avengers. So I'm cool with it.

His Daredevil run had a ton of Bendis speak and look at how good that was

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    uncolored preview art from Ultimate Spider-Man 158!
    1302895533.jpg
    1302895492.jpg
    1302895494.jpg
    1302895501.jpg

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
    edited April 2011
    The Sinister Six is a much weaker concept when most of those villains have only fought Spider-Man once or twice. It's not so much an assemblage of his greatest villains as it is a bunch of dickbags who couldn't measure up individually.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited April 2011
    I see it more as an assemblage of people who will not stop fucking with Peter Parker

When they do it individually it's irritating but manageable, you know? Peter can deal with Norman Osborn'e fuckery when it comes along. But when all of those guys come along he's all like "argh fuck just leave me alone! Stop messing with my shit I cannot handle you all doing it at once!"

What I am saying is the physical threat might not be massive, but with Ultimate Spidey the biggest effect those villains have is psychological and when they all turn up at once with their particular brands of brainrape on hand it's a massive strain for Parker to deal with. The last time it happened it nearly broke him, remember, not physically but mentally. So I am interested in this, even though I actually agree with you that physically they do not seem as impressive.

Solar on
    edited April 2011
    But guys like Vulture, Sandman, Kraven, and (arguably) Electro don't have much personal clout or history with Spider-Man. They're just random thugs who can't stay out of prison for very long because they keep siding with Norman Osborn and going after a teenage boy who probably doesn't even remember their real names.

Kraven's beef is that Spider-Man ruined his tv show, and even then Kraven only ended up in jail because he illegally modified his DNA, not because of anything Spider-Man did.

Robos A Go Go on
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hmmm, preview for #1 of Bendis & Maleev's new Moon Knight series ... up there in Texs post...

But I really am getting less and less interested in this series the more I hear about it. It just seems his new gimmick is a tad... gimmicky. Also Taskmastery.

Edit: Crap... really should look harder through previous posts...

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mighty Thor #1 preview looks pretty good, but it has Olivier Coipel on pencils so it's gonna look good. Plus it's all spacey and has Galactus, so that's some classic cosmic Thor right there.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
    edited May 2011
    So I'm gonna bring up something that has been bugging me about Previews

they are way too long

For instance, Marvel's Alpha Flight Preview is 6 pages of story. Assuming it is the traditional 24 pages of comics, that is 1/4th of the story. That is nuts. Movie trailers are 3 minutes, book previews are usually a chapter, Game of Thrones recently released 10 minutes of the first episode, which is a rare and super long preview that amounts to around 20ish percent of the hour long episode.

Other books, such as Moon Knight, had an 8 page preview as well as a seperate 6 page preview. Admittedly, it was a 48 page book, but 14 pages is still way too much.

Really, a book should be able to give an eye-catching preview in 3-4 pages, max. A lot of books manage to do so! Avengers from that same batch of previews as Alpha Flight did so.

Personally, I think I am going to stop reading previews for books I buy altogether because it is a bummer when I pick up a stack of books on Wednesday and realize I've read the first quarter of all of them.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited May 2011
    Daredevil #1 preview

Looks good, at least it's not raining now all the time in the background and the sun's out.

One thing I do worry about is that the last preview page isn't fully finished, which makes me wonder if we'll get a fill-in on issue #2 (just like what happened with DD in the '60s)

TexiKen on