As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Peoples thoughts on Classic Battletech RPG

rucdocrucdoc Crazy guy in the cornerClassifiedRegistered User regular
edited May 2009 in Critical Failures
Was thinking about running a classic battletech rpg for my local group and was wondering what peoples thoughts are on the system

Original Creepy Janitor

http://www.dust514stats.com
rucdoc on

• Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It is awesome.

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    my thoughts? if you're talking the classic palladium game...

well, it's palladium. i personally think their games are garbage, but you'll find rabid fans as well. my best advice? try it out man, don't let other people dictate what you play.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    rucdocrucdoc Crazy guy in the corner ClassifiedRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I was speaking about the Catalyst game lab's game, not the earlier version. and it was more to get peoples opinions on how the system works before I buy the book, if it really sucks didn't wanna blow 2 months f gaming budget on the book.

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

http://www.dust514stats.com
  • Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think you're thinking of Robotech, arc. Battletech was released by FASA, although Catalyst Game Lab is re-releasing it.

As far as I know, Battletech is only a miniature wargame based on relatively small squads. It seems like the best way to get started would be with the starter set, which seems to be a pretty good deal.
    http://www.classicbattletech.com/index.php?action=products&mode=full&id=198

The roleplaying aspect of the game is actually Mechwarrior. There are several editions of Mechwarrior, of which 2nd ediiton seems to be regarded as the best. You can find it on the cheap pretty easily.
    http://www.amazon.com/Mechwarrior-Battletech-Role-Playing-Game-2nd/dp/1555601294/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242179238&sr=8-1

The members of FeartheBoot popularized the idea of mashing the two games up (Mechwarrior for non-combat, Battletech for combat). You can get advice on doing this at their boards, but here's some introductory advice.
    http://www.feartheboot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1221&hilit=battletech

Apparently, the 3rd edition of the game integrated RP and combat rules better, but also made the game more complicated. I've never actually played either game, but I've considered it and actually have the 2nd edition rulebook.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    my thoughts? if you're talking the classic palladium game...

well, it's palladium. i personally think their games are garbage, but you'll find rabid fans as well. my best advice? try it out man, don't let other people dictate what you play.
    That's Robotech, not Battletech. It's a completely different game, although many early Battletech mech designs are blatantly ripped off from Robotech.

I used to run several Battletech campaigns as a GM. Basically, I would control all of the enemy units and terrain, and my gaming group would run the lances of a mercenary company. If they win, they get salvage and battle experience. If they lose, the survivors still get battle experience, but they give up some supplies and mechs. It was a lot of fun, especially since we have a lot of Battletech resources. We did "Clan versus Inner Sphere", too. It lead to a successful campaign where the group (as the Grey Death Legion) managed to successfully capture a Clan dropship and a not-so-successful campaign where a single light Clan star wiped out their whole Mech company (3 lances, or 12 Mechs).

Pretty much every single existing Mech design can be found online with a Mech Creator program, making it easy to mass produce Mech sheets.

I've also run a Mechwarrior 2/Battletech campaign with Mechwarrior 2 for non-combat engagements and Battletech for the 'Mech-based combat. One memorable moment was when a PC took an Inferno launcher and cooked off the ammo of the target Mech (I think it was a Battlemaster or Warhammer).

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    i honestly have no idea, but i think the point of my post is the same: if you think you might like it, give it a try.

but yeah, sorry about the mix-up. i don't know my battle robo mech warrior battle tech mech robo games :P

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    i honestly have no idea, but i think the point of my post is the same: if you think you might like it, give it a try.

but yeah, sorry about the mix-up. i don't know my battle robo mech warrior battle tech mech robo games :P
    Battletech is a game by FASA (now defunct, although the IP has been picked up by Catalyst Games). While it involves large robots, it has a fully realized history and storyline, punctuated by multiple novels and gaming supplements. It's mostly a miniatures hex-board wargame. Most rolls are done with a 2d6 for hitting and 2d6 for hit locations afterwards (with some exceptions).

Battletech has spawned a lot of successful computer games, such as the Crescent Hawk's Inception, the Crescent Hawk's Revenge, Mechwarrior and its sequels (not to be confused with the Mechwarrior RPG system), and Mech Assault. It even spawned its own arcade cockpit game, where you can go to various Battletech centers to pilot a virtual simulation of a mech cockpit against others, even across the nation. It was fairly cool back in the day.

Robotech is based on the Anime of the same name. The RPG is a Palladium game, as you say. It's far better than 2nd edition DnD, and it introduces the concept of "Occupational Character Classes". In other words, where your character grew up and went to school influences the kind of skills and traits that he has when you create him. It also has much less of a disparity between levels (a level 1 character has a reasonable chance of killing a level 10 character), and introduces the concept of SDC (flesh wounds or inanimate structure damage) and MDC (heavy armor), which delineates armor/soak versus deadly wounds (much like a lot of old first person shooters would have Armor and Health).

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png