As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

METAL GEAR: "MGS: Rising": 360/PS3/PC, "MGS: Peace Walker": PSP, "MGS1&quot

IgortIgort Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Games and Technology
Metal Gear Solid: Rising

A new Metal Gear for Xbox 360! "Raiden is Back"! Lightning Bolt Action!
Raiden%3F.jpg

Click for E3 2009 teaser.

Click for E3 2010 Trailer

Metal Gear Solid: Rising stars Raiden, and will take place between MGS2 and MGS4. According to the "Metal Gear Solid 4 Database" this dates the game between 2012 (the year Raiden was captured by the Patriots and given his exo-skeleton) and 2014 (the year of MGS4). Crying Wolf is also somehow involved in the game, as concept art from E3 2009 shows.

More Info Here.

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

A new Metal Gear for PSP! Portable Ops 2!? Missing link in Metal Gear Saga!
Next_Big_Boss.jpg

E3 Trailer.

GamesCon 09 Trailer.

Demo at IGN

This game is out now! Go buy it!!

Kojima will be writing and producing Peace Walker. It is set in 1974, ten years after Snake Eater, four years after Portable Ops and two years after the Les Enfants Terribles project, which resulted in the birth of the Sons of Big Boss. It will chronicle Big Boss setting up a military force without a government, known as Militaires Sans Frontieres, who have been hired by Costa Rica to defend themselves from a powerful army which wishes to take over and deploy weapons there. This is the beginning of what will become Outer Heaven.

So, any questions?

Metal Gear Solid: Rising will basically be Metal Gear Solid 5?

Kojima says Rising is the "next gen MGS5", and Peace Walker is "the MGS5 inside me".

Rising is 360 exclusive?

It will also be coming to PS3 and PC.

And Peace Walker is basically Portable Ops 2?

Yeah, basically. It carries the exact same graphic style and camera, is set a few years after, and you play as Big Boss (Naked Snake). It essentially makes a Big Boss trilogy, along with Snake Eater and Portable Ops.

I never got a PS3, and have never played MGS before. What do I need to know?

Well, here's a timeline of the general events, mixed in with some relevant real world events. Note: it is rather long and contains spoilers for all the games that are out so far.

There's been seven game in the series so far, but these new ones make it nine. Here's the games in chronological order:

1964: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
1970: Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
1974: Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
1995: Metal Gear
1999: Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
2005: Metal Gear Solid (The Twin Snakes)
2007/09: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty
2012-ish Metal Gear Solid: Rising
2014: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns Of The Patriots

If you're interested in playing catch-up, head on over to the Metal Gear Monday thread and see what those guys are up to.

Don't worry about playing Metal Gear or Metal Gear 2 as they've been pretty much retconned to oblivion. You can get by just reading a story synopsis. Portable Ops contained some hints at plot-twists which are fully revealed in MGS4, and if you enjoyed MGS3 it's an interesting epilogue. The PSP's controls turned a lot of people off however.

Igort on

• Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    isn't raiden japanese for lightning or something?

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Thunder and lightning, yes.

Igort on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Metal Gear Kansas

Sam on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Metal Gear Watch This Cinematic For Three Hours Then Play For Another Five Minutes Then You Get Another Four Hours Of Fucking Terrible Voice Acting And Writng And Why Wont You Buy My Games Any More Guys?

Robman on
  • Options
    G RolG Rol Dorsia? Nobody goes there anymore... Nell'sRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    Metal Gear Watch This Cinematic For Three Hours Then Play For Another Five Minutes Then You Get Another Four Hours Of Fucking Terrible Voice Acting And Writng And Why Wont You Buy My Games Any More Guys?

Oh, but the guys do buy the games. That's the rub.

G Rol on

G%20Rol.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009

If you don't like their games, why the hell are you here?

Igort on
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I don't know what an overcast sky and a feild have to do with ZOE but I hope he's not going to disapoint me.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sam wrote: »
    Metal Gear Kansas

"...

You're that tin man"

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Igort wrote: »

...because his games are frustratingly close to awesome while being simultaneously retarded.

Can love bloom on the wheat field?

G Rol on

G%20Rol.jpg
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    MGS4 for the 360.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    G Rol wrote: »

...because his games are frustratingly close to awesome while simultaneously retarded.

Can love bloom on the wheat field?

im calling wheat camo. srsly.

Sam on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Harvest Moon Solid?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    MGS4 for the 360.

Don't make me hunt you, son.

Igort on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Because I played the fuck out of MGS2 on my xbox and loved it (especially all the missions and hidden shit), then played MGS4 for an hour and my friends house and wondered what these games had in similarity with each other apart from Snake and a laughable story.

Robman on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Harvest Moon Solid?
    Congratulations, this is now the only game that I want more than Assassin's Crossing.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Monger wrote: »
    Harvest Moon Solid?
    Congratulations, this is now the only game that I want more than Assassin's Crossing.

Master Chief vs Aliens vs Crysis Man set on the Crysis island

you're welcome

Robman on
  • Options
    My Name Is LukeMy Name Is Luke Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    MGS4: Sub-whatever for the PS3. Featuring some kind of Raiden bonus game.

My Name Is Luke on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    MGS4: Sub-whatever for the PS3. Featuring some kind of Raiden bonus game.

Probably true, actually.

G Rol on

G%20Rol.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    oh oh how bout Kojima smash bros? all your favorites from Psychonauts, Zone of Enders and every MGS game duke it out.

on a wheat field.

with thunder damage.

Sam on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Harvest Moon Solid?

you're welcome

So... Halo?

Igort on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If this is a new version of MGS4, I'm absolutely getting a PS3 with my tax return.

If it's anything else... I'll figure it out then.

By the way, why the fuck do we need announcements for an announcement? I HATE that shit. You want to do something cool? Just fucking show us. Don't make us wait to find out what it is that we're waiting for.

Fawst on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Harvest Moon Solid?

you're welcome

So... Halo?

No, more like the best multiplayer game ever, AvP2. Holy fuck that game needs a sequel.

Robman on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I can't believe nobody noticed this

16981245.jpg

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Fawst wrote: »
    If this is a new version of MGS4, I'm absolutely getting a PS3 with my tax return.

By the way, why the fuck do we need announcements for an announcement? I HATE that shit. You want to do something cool? Just fucking show us. Don't make us wait to find out what it is that we're waiting for.

Hey, it might be irritating as hell, but it builds hype and that's the point, I guess.

Igort on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Malechai wrote: »
    I don't know what an overcast sky and a feild have to do with ZOE but I hope he's not going to disapoint me.

I know what you mean, though I'm sure it will be painfuly obvious once they tell us...

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Guys we solved it in the first post.

Thunder and lightning: Raiden.

Kojima's speech at GDC(?) had an image of Raiden with the words: "The Next MGS".
    The_Next_MGS.jpg

MGS5 announcement, will have Raiden as the main character.

Igort on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Hey, it might be irritating as hell, but it builds hype and that's the point, I guess.

It's like this social experiment I read about, where this guy walked up to an unmarked door on a nondescript building in a city and just stood there. After a little while, people started lining up. After an hour or so, there was a line around the block. They didn't know why they were in line.

Same here. We don't know what we're hyping up over. You're right, it's irritating as all hell! I get it, I just disagree with it. I mean, it's five days from today. Why bother even saying anything? Just whip it out all Dirk Diggler and go "BAM, deal with that, motha-fahkoo!"

Fawst on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    I dont think theyre stupid enough to do that.

I mean I know they were stupid enough to age and kill off their money machine but noone wants to play as fucking Raiden.

Raiden doesn't even want to be Raiden.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I can't believe nobody noticed this

<cv pic>

This is the funniest thing I've seen all day.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

It's like this social experiment I read about, where this guy walked up to an unmarked door on a nondescript building in a city and just stood there. After a little while, people started lining up. After an hour or so, there was a line around the block. They didn't know why they were in line.

Same here. We don't know what we're hyping up over. You're right, it's irritating as all hell! I get it, I just disagree with it. I mean, it's five days from today. Why bother even saying anything? Just whip it out all Dirk Diggler and go "BAM, deal with that, motha-fahkoo!"

I did that at school once, though it was staring at the cieling as opposed to standing by a door. It was pretty great.

I mean I know they were stupid enough to age and kill off their money machine but noone wants to play as fucking Raiden.

"Raiden's gay. I hate him because he's not Snake, ABLOO-BLOO-BLOO"

Raiden haters are so 2001.
    Don't take this post seriously, I'm just a little tired of Raiden bashers.

Igort on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Harvest Moon Solid?

you're welcome
    You... you don't know me very well, do you?

Monger on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Yes doing new things with video game characters is very stupid. They're complete idiots for trying anything original.

Let me let you in a little secret about Kojima that's become increasingly obvious over the years:
    the man don't give a fuck

Furu on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    MGS4 for the 360.

I'm sorry! I just wanted to be the one to start that stupid bullshit flame war.

urahonky on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    MGS4 for the 360.

You forgot to mention your inside source.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Rakai wrote: »
    MGS4 for the 360.

he doesn't need an inside source it is so obvious cause of the PS3 install base is too small to make a profit for the HUEG costs of making the game if they don't put it on 360 konami will go bankrupt!!!11!!!one1!!!1!thirtytwo

[tiny]I'm so sorry. I feel dirty.[/tiny]

Monger on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Rakai wrote: »
    MGS4 for the 360.

Well, you can blatantly see a 360 controller in the clouds there.
    Some people actually think you can.

Igort on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Huh, it took till the second page for someone to say MGS4 on the 360? Man, you guys are losing your touch.

As for me, I'm guessing Metal Gear Solid iPhone 2: Tap Female Guards in Inappropriate Places.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    without it being pointed out, I can kind of see one once told to go look for it, but I would pass it off unless there were a more convincing outline.

Also theres someone suposively wearing a (power)suit in the clouds laying down.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Guys... guys!

I bet you can see a goomba in the clouds if you look hard enough.

MARIO GEAR SOLID

Fawst on
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I hope this is the new Snatcher game Kojima and the President of Konami hinted at awhile back.

Oh God, please be Snatchers.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png