As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Region-free DVD/Blu-Ray players, do they exist on retail? Is unlocking one legal?

DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
What the thread title says.

Is there any DVD player or Blu-Ray player that will play discs of all regions right out of the box (DVDs if DVD player, both if Blu-Ray player), be it in a brick and mortar store or online, or is the only way to buy one that some place has unlocked?

Is it even legal to unlock players to play discs of all region (can't think of a reason it wouldn't be)?

If it is legal and there's no storebought player that comes unlocked, does anyone here have a good player to recommend that they can confirm plays discs from all regions, as well as the method to unlock it?

Thanks in advance!

Djiem on

• Options
    ClipseClipse Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Some companies (off the top of my head, Apex) make DVD players that can easily be unlocked by a firmware update. The update may be illegal depending on where you live; I think it's a DMCA violation in the US, in particular. As for blu-ray players, I don't think there are any easily-unlockable models out right now.

Of course, if you put a blu-ray drive in a PC you can find software to play blu-rays from any region without much trouble. Again, DMCA violation probably.

Clipse on
  • Options
    AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    In some countries it is legal to unlock players. I also think that most DVD players can have their region changed built in. My dad wanted to change the region in ours many years ago so he called the manufacturer. There was some weird input code they gave him which changed it.

In Australia it is technically illegal for companies to sell region locked players. It doesn't stop them but that is how modchips for the PS2 were legal.

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I still can't believe some people decided that it should be illegal to watch movies that are released in another region of the world.

That said, changing firmware shouldn't be a DMCA violation since you are not bypassing any encryption and the manufacturer (I assume) is providing you the firmware.

Changing region codes on most DVD players can only be done a limited number of times. I assume the same is true for Blu-Ray assuming you can even change the region code.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Most DVD players have a remote cod you enter which opens a secret menu. Choose region 0 and thats region free.
    There are just so many players out there that you can do this on, I can't even recommend one. Just google the DVD players model and "region hack".

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    you may well already know this, but a good portion of blu-rays are region free by default. there's a regularly updated list here. there are certain publishers you have to watch out for, but you might be surprised at how many have no protection

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    bsjezz wrote: »
    you may well already know this, but a good portion of blu-rays are region free by default. there's a regularly updated list here. there are certain publishers you have to watch out for, but you might be surprised at how many have no protection

But are they region free for Blu-Ray discs only, or also for DVDs?

Djiem on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Do most Blue-Ray players even play DVDs? Sure i needs a different lazer, but then again they are pretty cheap nowadays.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Djiem wrote: »

nah it's just the blu-rays that are region free, the players themselves i'm not sure. it's worth knowing, anyway

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Djiem wrote: »

nah it's just the blu-rays that are region free, the players themselves i'm not sure. it's worth knowing, anyway

Reading comprehension failure over here, sorry. Indeed, it is worth knowing.
    I guess I'll just see if I can unlock my own DVD player and if not, buy one I know is simple to unlock.

Djiem on