As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Just had an attempted break-in. Your run-ins with criminals?

• Options
    nosnibornosnibor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    When I was in college, I would often go a week or more without driving my van. I would leave it in the dorm parking lot, which required a parking pass (which I had).

One day I went out to drive to the store, and discovered

1) Multiple parking tickets on the van
    2) Broken window
    3) Missing CD case
    4) Missing parking pass

The parking pass was the most valuable thing in the vehicle, and when I went up to Campus Police and reported it stolen, I got all the tickets nullified.

The best part was a week later, when I got another ticket from Parking Services in the mail. The person who'd stolen the pass(or someone who knew them) had it hanging in their car when they parked illegally up on Greek Row, so all the info about their car(license plate, make, model) was on the ticket. The ticket got sent to me because the number on the pass linked to my address.

I turned it over to the campus cops, but never heard back. I like to imagine the look on the stupid bitch's face when she got arrested.

Edit: the reason I turned it over to Campus Police is they are a completely separate entity from Parking Services and don't really communicate with each other.

nosnibor on
    When you're a spy, it's a good idea to give away your trade secrets in a voiceover on a TV show.
  • Options
    necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Tox wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    And yet, every time they check my receipt/bags, they never find anything.

One time, back when they were putting those dumb sensor tags on everything, like deodorant, I decided to try to steal some just to see if this particular idea I'd had would work. I took two, pocketed one, and put the other in my basket. After I checked out, I went into the bathroom, put the purchased (and sensor-deactivated one) in my pocket, and put the un-scanned one in my bag. Headed out, triggered the sensor. They asked for my bag, waved it in front of the thing, it went off, they pulled out my receipt, checked the items, saw I'd paid for the stick of deodorant, handed me my bag, and sent me on my way.

I'm....probably a klepto. I genuinely find stealing a bit of a challenge. Like...how can I outsmart theft-detection/deterrents, ya know?
    So actually, you're the reason the rest of us have to show our receipts to the fucking greeters. Thanks a lot, asshole.

Oh yeah, that's exactly it. It's all my fault. I'm so hardcore that Wal-Mart decided it would cost them less money to install worthless theft-deterrent systems that don't actually stop very much. Yeah, I'm so awesome.
    Uh, yes, it is your fault, because you get your jollies from stealing apparently. And all the people who, you know, just go in and buy things get to deal with higher prices and increased scrutiny because you're an asshole. The worst kind of asshole too, the one who thinks being an asshole makes you cooler than the rest of us.

The worst part of this whole retardation is that his first post was an anecdote about how indignant he gets when the Wal-Mart greeters stop him at the door. Hey, asshole, you're the one they should be stopping in the first place!

necroSYS on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    ITT: Wal-Mart shoplifters out themselves as if they have been waiting for this chance for quite some time.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    IrtehmongooseIrtehmongoose Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    During one Christmas break everyone in the house I lived in would be out visiting family, so there was a four or five day window where nobody would be home. Being aware of this I specifically pointed out to the last guy leaving that he really needed to be sure he locked the door when he left, since he can be bad about that sort of thing on occasion.

I was the first one home, and as I'm pulling my keys out I think "I'm just gonna try the door really fast before I open it with the key, because wouldn't it be funny if..." and sure enough it's unlocked. Well I'm preemptively freaking out, because I had heard that Christmas break was a time a lot of college students got shit stolen. So I case the house, and nothing is amiss, so I chew out the housemate and go along my day.

A week or two later, a different housemate wanders by and asks if I have seen his change jar recently. I pause, scan my room, and realize my own change bag is missing. Further inquiry reveals that everybody that had a collection of change sitting in their room is now missing it. We figured the most likely scenario was that upon finding the house was unlocked, somebody decided to help themselves to our change, figuring we would never report it to the cops. Turns out at least one other house in our neighborhood was hit by the change bandit.

Irtehmongoose on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    I've been called about the fact the warranty on my car is about to expire. I don't own a car.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Thiefs make me angry. Uncontrollable rage swells inside me when someone tries to steal things from me. I kinda lose control of myself but fortunately this has never got me in trouble so far.

I remember one particular event when I used to work in a convenience store. It was a kind of hybrid store: One half of the space was our convenience store and the other half was a Subway restaurant. It was a slow day; no one on my side and a few clients on the Subway side. So 3 teenage girls enter the store. One of them comes to my counter and purchases something cheap while trying to do small talk while the 2 other girls head towards the back of the store. Seems kinda fishy but I don't see them actually take anything.

As soon as they left the store I headed towards the back and look at my beer fridges. I had just done my facing (is that the word? moving all the products to the front of the shelf) so I instantly noticed a big 1.8L bottle of beer missing. Those lil bitches! I instantly rushed out the store while telling the Subway manager to watch over my side for a few moments and started chasing after the girls who were casually walking away from the store. I caught up with them and they denied everything at first. After a bit of arguing they took the bottle out of their backpack and gave it back. I then called them stupid little bitches and suggested that they should stick to playing with their barbie dolls instead of trying to steal beer. I then noticed that a bit further ahead across the street there was a little gang of latino kids that were waiting for the girls to return with the beer. They were visibly not happy with this turn of event. So I lifted the bottle above my head in triumph, gave them the finger and a big big smile! It was oh so satisfying to see them start flailing their arms around and scream stuff like "Fuck you man! You're an asshole"

When I got back to the store the Subway manager scolded me, telling me I shouldn't be chasing after thieves like I did.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »
    I've been called about the fact the warranty on my car is about to expire. I don't own a car.

First they pissed off the people. Then they pissed off the internet. That wasn't enough, so they started robo-calling government officials, like congressmen and AGs.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I almost beat the shit out of some drunk with an aluminum bat cause the fucker jumped off his motorcycle and it barelled into our house, destroyed some yard furniture, my little sisters swimming pool, killed my moms big spider plant and gave me shellshock for a long ass time.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    When I was eleven a pair of cunts (sixteen/seventeen) punched me out of the blue, crowded street and everything. First and last time I was ever assaulted/mugged. Which given I grew up in south London is fairly good, especially since I walked past a shit comprehensive everyday in my shiny blue blazer with just one other guy (who weirdly enough attracted bullies like crazy – I’d probably have been safer on my own). Though around the same time some kids would ask me to lend them twenty quid, has that ever successfully worked?

Leitner on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

First they pissed off the people. Then they pissed off the internet. That wasn't enough, so they started robo-calling government officials, like congressmen and AGs.

they call the unimportant ones too...

i get a call atleast once a day from different numbers.

they even leave messages on my voicemail....

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    Arsenic CanaryArsenic Canary A Whirlwind of Joy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This happened last year.

I was house-sitting for my mother, who was in the hospital with a bad case of appendicitis. The dog starts barking at like 6:30 in the morning, and I hear someone banging on the door. I answer it and find two men about my age at the door with their truck parked in the driveway. One introduces himself, and asks after my sister's boyfriend.

I inform him that he's not here. He says that he knows that he is, because he has it from a reliable source that he lived here. I inform him that he is mistaken, that the man in question moved two months ago. I am asked if I can call him and have him come here, as their truck is out of gas.

Obviously, my "OMGBULLSHIT" meter is flying into the red, and I ask what this is about. This is the time where the man says that it's a matter of money, and that he'd really rather I co-operate, as he knows I have children in the house.

A falling pin would have sounded like an avalanche in the silence that followed. I break it with an incredulous, "Are you threatening me?!"

He quickly backpedals, and tries appealing to my sense of reason. I cut him off and tell him that if he has a cell phone number, I'll be sure that the boyfriend gets it. His friend rattles off a number, which I write down along with their names. As I'm doing so, the talker of the duo says, "Y'know, all things considered, I think I'm being very reasonable about this." I agree with him, and let him know that the message will be passed on. I also jot down the make, model, and plate number of the truck.

I enter the house, lock the door, and bolt upstairs to the nearest available window to make sure they get gone and don't loiter. From this vantage point I watch as they pull out of the driveway, stop across the street, and rip a $2,000 subwoofer from the trunk of a neighbor's car.

So, naturally, I call the police. They show up right away (it being a slow Sunday morning), and I give them the information. The officer stops me when I tell him the name of the talkative member of the pair, and has me repeat it, which I do. He immediately starts talking into his radio. I ask what's wrong, and am informed that the man in question is the key suspect in a murder case.

D:

I hand him the paper with their names, cell number, and truck information, and take my brother to his father's house in case the duo decided to make a repeat appearance.

The ending is thus: the two were found and arrested. The truck turned out to be stolen, and at least one of them had violated parole. Both were high. The subwoofer was never found. They are, to my knowledge, both still in jail after accepting seperate plea bargains.

And that's my run-in with a criminal.

Arsenic Canary on
    Steam: arsenic_canary
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    ...Wow.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    shit arsenic

sounds like you were damn sensible about that

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009

Same here, and I have been called seven times.

Edit: They also called the recieving bay of the hospital where I worked twice.

My own run in: Back when I was 18 or 19 I worked for Amerada Hess corp at the station on US1 in PSL. The station was a popular place for people to pass through, as it was handy for car enthusiasts to see and be seen. I was stopping in for gas one night, and several of my friends and my uncle were there hanging out; my friends were coworkers, nothing unusual about their presence.

Anyway, we had one suspicious looking guy hanging out who was out of sight of my other friend who was on duty that night, so I was watching him. He saw me watching him though, and took exception to it. After some preliminary bluster, he hands me a punch to the face for his troubles. I hadn't been looking for a fight, and after the first punch I went down holding my face, which had been cut up nicely by my glasses.

I am told he hit me several more times on the way down, but I don't remember it. What got him to go away was that my uncle was there, and he weighed in at about 230 lbs of bad attitude. After I was trucked away to get stitches I had to come back and listen to my more squeamish friend complaign about all of my blood he had to clean up off the pavement.

Police report, yadda yadda.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

Did I mention they're calling my cell phone, and my mother's cell phone?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    i've never had direct run ins, but my house was robbed and my laptop stolen - actually my laptops have been stolen twice and I'm currently on my third. I went to work at about 10 am, came back at 3 or 4 pm and the garage door was open. All of my room mates were out of town for a couple of weeks but I didn't think much of it. I walked in and noticed some stuff was out, and realized my computer was gone! If I had left it downstairs it wouldn't have been stolen. They ended up nicking my room mate's car as well, which was eventually discovered, pulled over, and one or more of the fellows was arrested.

I often get sent home early as I'm a waiter (if it's a slow day i go home early) so I could have walked into 4 people robbing my house. Given how much of a space cadet I am I probably would have assumed they were friends of my room mates and maybe they were visiting. It's a scary thought.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

Did I mention they're calling my cell phone, and my mother's cell phone?

My girlfriend gets the same calls. It's a well known issue and the FTC is currently investigating them.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

I can't even begin to tell you how many 'second notice's i've gotten about this.

They might be calling my cell phone, but that's been turned off since january...

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    what do those calls try to do? get you to pay money for an imaginary service?

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think so. I dunno, never listened long enough to tell.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Basically. IIRC the warranty does exist, but it barely covers anything and it's very expensive. There are a lot of insurance scams that work the same way.

Invisible on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Invisible wrote: »

Basically. IIRC the warranty does exist, but it barely covers anything and it's very expensive. There are a lot of insurance scams that work the same way.
    The ads are on TV late at night pretty regularly. I Googled one of the companies at one point just for the heck of it, and it had changed its name a half dozen times in the past few years. It had the lowest possible rating the BBB gives, and was being investigated by several different state attorneys general.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    klokklok Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Last weekend when my friend and I went to see Star Trek his car was broken into. Apparently there is no surveillance outside the movie theater we went to, so unfortunately there was nothing that could really be done. They stole his car stereo, cd case, as well as his last 2 cigarettes (which isn't funny at all, but kind of is because my friend had at least a dozen empty packs scattered around his car and thiefman must of had to look through all of them). Talk about about your nicfits.

My friend was pretty bummed at first but he got some free movie passes out of it (They say VIP on them so hopefully he can get into advanced screenings or something) and this was the second break-in at that theater within a month so hopefully this motivates them to put up some fucking cameras!

But I suppose we are part to blame. Our childhood hobby of smoking pot before movies had given us the bad habit of always parking on the side of the theater which usually has only a few cars in the huge parking lot at night. I'm sure everybody's going to be parking in the front from now on.

klok on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Every time it is "Sorry, we will remove you from our list." *click*

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    klok wrote: »
    Our childhood hobby of smoking pot before movies

AHA. Now we've located the worst criminal of all. How did it feel, selling your soul to THE DEVIL?
    :P

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Last weekend when my friend and I went to see Star Trek his car was broken into. Apparently there is no surveillance outside the movie theater we went to, so unfortunately there was nothing that could really be done. They stole his car stereo, cd case, as well as his last 2 cigarettes (which isn't funny at all, but kind of is because my friend had at least a dozen empty packs scattered around his car and thiefman must of had to look through all of them). Talk about about your nicfits.

My friend was pretty bummed at first but he got some free movie passes out of it (They say VIP on them so hopefully he can get into advanced screenings or something) and this was the second break-in at that theater within a month so hopefully this motivates them to put up some fucking cameras!

But I suppose we are part to blame. Our childhood hobby of smoking pot before movies had given us the bad habit of always parking on the side of the theater which usually has only a few cars in the huge parking lot at night. I'm sure everybody's going to be parking in the front from now on.

Kingons!

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Arsenic CanaryArsenic Canary A Whirlwind of Joy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    shit arsenic

sounds like you were damn sensible about that

Grace under pressure is something of a talent of mine.

The look on the cop's face when I handed him the paper with all the information was pretty classic.
    Scalfin wrote:
    Klingons!
    KHAAAAAN!

Arsenic Canary on
    Steam: arsenic_canary
  • Options
    eHeroeHero Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Growing up, I stole quite a few comics and tabletop games from a store. I did it because I didn't have any money, and everyone I knew did. Indirect peer pressure I guess. But I rationalized it by saying to myself, "15 years from now, I'll feel really bad about this and repent of all my sins (I'm not Catholic, but it made sense at the time), and everything'll be fine."

Well fast forward those 15 years approximately. The comic shop is still open and run by the same guy, and I spend an enormous amount of money over the next 3 years on comic book subscriptions I don't particularly want. So that's my "I'm a thief but now I feel bad" story. I don't steal anymore, btw, and here's a reason why:

So I've worked a lot of retail, and recently worked at a computer store. A lady came in and ordered a new custom laptop from us (it was a Gateway store) and paid with check. Now keep in mind we had several laptops in stock, but she wanted a special order one that would take a few weeks to arrive, and it wouldn't be sent to her home. She'd have to come into the store to pick it up. And she paid with a $2000 check.

Needless to say, a few days later, we get a notice that the check is bad. But since the computer was being delivered to the store, we didn't do anything about it. I mean, who really cares? So a couple weeks later the computer comes in, and for fun, we give the number she gave us a call to let her know it's ready. And she answers!

So seriously, 3 weeks since she passed a forged check, and not thinking she'll be found out, she comes into the store to pick up her new computer. And of course, the police are waiting for her, and take her into a back room for several hours, asking who knows what. I still have no idea why they didn't take her out of the store, but whatever.

And then no one knew what to do with the computer, so it stayed in the store for a few months, until the store was shut down and the manager took it home with him.

It's a feel good story.

eHero on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Last year my car was in the shop, and since my brother was living in my city for school I borrowed his. I got a call at like midnight (I was already in bed) from him saying he was coming to get his car. I thought it was weird, but he probably just decided to blow off his Friday classes and go home for the weekend.

I get another call at like 2:30 AM. "Dude, you gotta come pick me up, some guys just tried to jack me." He sounded terrible and out of breath. I bolted out of bed and ran out to the car, my girlfriend in tow. Apparently he had been walking from the dorms to my apartment, which was like 4 miles. Three guys accosted him on the street right in front of the school, which surprised the hell out of me since it was always busy. Guy said "Give me all your shit" and reached for his pocket. My brother said "No, leave me alone" and pushed his hand away. Dude said "Get off me!" to which my brother responded "What the hell, man"

The guy punched him, then him and his friends ran off without taking anything. I asked why he didn't just give up his stuff, and he said something like 'What were they gonna do, stab me for my bag of laundry and my backpack?'

TL DR on
  • Options
    PartialartistPartialartist Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    A few years ago, my cousin and I were living at my aunt's, in a pretty bad neighborhood. One night, we had just finished grocery shopping and picking up a couple of subs and were on our way home. I'm walking pretty fast and notice him lagging behind, so I look back and notice 3 guys walking behind us. I've been in bad areas before, so I know what to look out for. I gesture for him to hurry up and keep my pace. He continues to lag. Then I hear one of the guys ask my cousin for the time, in a blatantly fake nice tone, which I know means nothing but trouble. To my surprise, he actually stops and pulls out his cellphone. I turn around again and they're crowded around him and he's pulling cash out of his wallet. I yell "what the fuck?" and head towards them, when one of them pulls a knife on me. The other 2 had knives on my cousin, so I didn't go any further. Didn't want him to get stabbed. They end up taking 80 bucks, his bus pass and his sub, before a car came by and scared them off. I still had all of my stuff. I ended up giving him half of my sub and some money to get around for the week. I wasn't too pissed off at him, because he grew up in the suburbs and didn't know what they were up to.

Another time, in another town, my roommate and I were hanging out in our living room. Our back door was open, because we were home. We hear what we assume is another roommate, coming up the stairs to the deck, enter the kitchen and open the fridge, then leave. I check to make sure, but it turns out that a homeless guy just walked upstairs and took a soda. I confront him. He turns around, pointing at the can and speaking gibberish. I didn't really want to get into it with the guy, because I had seen him before, on a bus, spitting onto a seat. Dude was clearly deranged, so I waved him off, locked the door and told my roommate what happened. He bolts out the back door, sees the guy pushing his cart up the hill and starts screaming obscenities and threatening him. A while later my roommate notices that his bus pass is missing and wonders if the guy took that too.

That was in a nicer area than the first story. The weird thing is that I've had to break into my own home, when I forgot my keys, in two different places in that area. Once I climbed onto a roof and went in the kitchen window. The other time I climbed through my roommate's window, which was right off the street. Both times were in broad daylight and no one quesioned me or called the cops. Had it been anyone else, we could've been robbed blind.

Partialartist on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]PSN : TheIdiomatic
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I've had to break into my own place a few times. Once after / during a night on acid, my roomie and I took a walk around the neighborhood. Our other roomie, piss drunk, locked us out with no keys. So picture my roommate, flying on acid, climbing up onto the roof of a two story house in the middle of the suburbs at like 2 AM. He tries the window to my room, then moves to the next one, the window to the room that was once a bedroom but now had all our junk in it. Just as I'm wondering how he's going to navigate the boxes and picture frames and stuff, I hear *CRASH* *THUD* *SHATTER*

He comes down a minute later and opens the door. All he says is "Fuck you for locking your window"

TL DR on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well speak of the devil...

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jFpGIsUi1KVrRr07BBoVqLrkz0ZQD986606G0

The car warranty robo-callers are all being sued in federal court as of today by the FTC.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Every time it is "Sorry, we will remove you from our list." *click*

They never call my cell or my wife's, thank god. They call my work though. We've decided to have fun with them. So far, our store has owned a Cadillac, Corvette, Humvee with roof mounted .50, and a Gremlin. They still haven't taken the hint, but it's a damn lot of fun to waste their time.

I admit to being pretty sheltered from criminals, being in Vermont most of my life. When I lived just across the border in New Hampshire, there were women walking around with baby carriages at 2am. Some of them were mothers, some not, but at 2am, all of them were dealing meth or pot out of their carriages.

In the same apartment, our neighbor was... I don't even know. I'm pretty sure he was a bit mentally challenged, but he also had a criminal record. We would occasionally get woken up by the police at 2am knocking on our door looking for him. They understood quickly that we were not impressed, and we made it very clear that we and the neighbor were not on good terms.

One night in mid-December (this must have been in 05, I think), the wife and I were coming home from doing laundry. It was around 11am, and there are police outside our door. Awww shit. There's a woman up there, screaming, wearing a wife beater and shorts with her stomach hanging out. I felt like we just walked in on a film crew for Cops... the female officer I think felt the same way, because she had her face firmly buried in her hand for a while, just shaking her head. She made sure everyone moved aside so we could get in our apartment, and it ended up being some crazy domestic assault beef with no charges filed.

Two weeks later, on Christmas Eve, the wife and I are woken up at 2am (these people and their 2am, what the fuck). The woman is pounding on his door, saying "come on baby, don't you want to get fucked for Christmas? Let me in, I'll give you a present hon." I vaguely remember calling the cops, and being rocked to sleep by the sound of police loafers coming up the stairs.

tl,dr: compared to you folks, my run-ins with criminals have been redneck drug dealers and redneck domestic disturbance.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    come on baby, don't you want to get fucked for Christmas? Let me in, I'll give you a present hon.

This desperately calls for an out-of-context sigging.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Mosby's RangerMosby's Ranger Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Alright, I have an incident I would like to report. About four years ago my brothers and I were all home after finishing up exams at our respective colleges, and there was a break-in at the neighbor's place at about 2:15 in the afternoon, on a Sunday. Anyone that lives in a churchgoing community knows that, on a Sunday, everybody goes off the Church at 11:00, eats afterwards, and gets home by 1:30 at the latest.

Anyway, we get a knock on our about half past 2:00 and, wouldn't you know, it was our elderly neighbor. He proceeds to tell us that a couple of kids broke into his house while he was out back, and were now rifling through his stuff upstairs. He said he would have shot them, of course, but they just looked so young. My brothers and I wandered outside to see exactly what was going on, and saw two guys, both easily older than 20, out on the roof, being talked to by our mother. The criminals understandably wanted nothing to do with her or her pleas for their surrender, and gathered from the crowd that the police had been called.

So they hop down from the roof and head off into the woods with a bag full of whatever. My younger brother, being an idiot, wanted to chase them with his shovel. As we all were trying to tell him what an incredibly poor idea this was, we hear a howl and see our dog, an absolutely huge German Shepherd mix, tear off into the woods after the two guys, and my younger brother breaks away and sprints after the dog. The Police arrive, my brother shows back up with the dog and throws him inside, and we all answer some questions.

The neighbor goes home, we all pile back inside to watch some football and discover the dog had devoured our dinner, which was two pounds of london broil marinating on the counter.

Mosby's Ranger on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Right when I got out of the service and started college, I woke up early to go for a jog before classes, and ended up walking up on a guy who was in the process of breaking into my truck (didn't have $$ for the best apt in the world). He was halfway in the vehicle, so I kicked the door in on him. Then I slammed it on him a few times as he was sliding out. Called the cops, cop showed up, and put the thief in the car. The cop then looked at me and said I should have "kept on going". I said, "what do you mean?" "Well, the world might be a better place without this kinda guy loose." Then he looked at my Corps sticker and winked.

Man what?

Upon reflection, it was a stupid move. He coulda had a gun, screwdriver, or any number of things, and my gung-ho (ha) ass decided to be a big man and whip his ass without thinking it through.

GungHo on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Argh, I used to get these a lot. Then they switched to trying to raise funds for families of killed policemen. Finally, I got one about killed firemen that went something like:

"Hi, we're calling to raise money to support families of firefighters who died on the job."

"No thanks, not interested."

I'm about to hang up when the bloke states, "it's not about being interested, this is your duty."

o_O

:evil:

He hung up rather quickly once I started yelling into the phone.

As for actual robberies and whatnots, when I was young my mum and I lived in a very shady loft that was secluded above some shops and restaurants in a less-nice part of town, causing us to have plenty of run-ins with these sorts. Two instances stick out the most from that place. The first was when my mum's car got broken into by means of rock-through-window and a camera and other sundries were taken from it. Now, at the time, there was a vacant building across the street that drew unsavoury individuals and currently housed two vagrants, which was discovered when my mother actually went down into the basement one day and came unnoticed upon these fellows crouched in the dark amongst their feces and stolen goods. The cops were called and everything was sorted out fine, but it always strikes me how intense going down there must have been for her.

The other one is actually a funny story in retrospect. One night I'm sleeping when I hear a terrific crash in the living room around midnight. There's no way I'm leaving the safety of my bed, so I only heard what went on. My mum comes bursting out of her room to confront a man who is now standing in our living room.

"What the fu..."

"I'm so sorry, I just I you have to help me I'm trying to get away please can I just stay here I need to hide I'm so sorry I kicked in your door..."

"GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY HOUSE NOW"

"Please help me I"

"Get the fuck out, I'm calling the cops. You need to leave."

After a little bit more of this, he does leave and the cops were called.

It's now late the next night...CRASH

"THE FUCK YOU DOING IN MY HOUSE AGAIN"

"I'm sorry, I just wanted to apologize for last night..." Yeah, the bloke had kicked in the French doors again to say he was sorry for breaking in the previous night :D

Another time, in another place, I saw a man walk through our yard past the front windows, so I went to a back window to see if I could watch him. Yet, when I got to the room and peeked around the door, there he was, peering into the window from the outside. Sleezy white trash sort of chap, calls through the window at me asking where my parents are and asks if I can talk to him at the door. I sure as fuck won't do that, so he goes on to say that he's looking for work and can help us around the house if we need, to which I show my disinterest. At that point, he starts talking about how he was checking our side gate because he saw a suspicious person go over it and wanted to make sure we were ok, haha. He gave up after that and walked off.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

My friend was pretty bummed at first but he got some free movie passes out of it (They say VIP on them so hopefully he can get into advanced screenings or something).

Gosh I hate to be the bad news guy but VIP tickets at most theaters mean the exact opposite. You can't use them for the first week(s) of a new showing.

Ludious on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I wonder why no one's sicced 4chan on these telemarketers - if anyone can track them down and make their lives/businesses hell, it's those psychotic internet vigilantes.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Not a direct encounter, but this happened just last night. My wife and I are up late (it's about 12:50) reading in bed (well, I'm reading, she's playing Puzzle Quest), when I hear some fucker down the street rev the shit out of his car. We're in kind of a shitty neighborhood, so this happens after midnight a lot more often than I'd like. Except this time, the revving is followed immediately by a loud crash, and shattering glass.

We get up, get dressed, and go for a stroll. About a block down, we find some moron has wrapped a mid-70's Chevy around a tree. A tree on the wrong side of the road. A tree 5 feet away from the road, on the wrong side.

About 10 seconds later, the cops come around the corner, followed by a couple ambulances, and a fire truck. Both the driver, and his passenger are up and walking around, but the passenger ends up being taken away in the ambulance, while we get to watch the driver take a sobriety test, followed by being handcuffed, and led away to the cop car.

One of these days, I'd really like to live in a neighborhood where I don't see cops once a week.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg