As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Just had an attempted break-in. Your run-ins with criminals?

• Options
    GiantRoboGiantRobo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My friend's place was just robbed, wooden boards were broken over his(a) and another friends(b) head. The other guy had to go to the hospital to get 8 staples in his head, but on the up side, friend a got the guy in his back and in the collar bone with his battle axe, and the cops found some of the guys already, and one of them plead guilty yesterday to attempted murder, robbery, aggravated assault, and some other shit.

+1 us

GiantRobo on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    His...battle axe?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    GiantRobo wrote: »
    My friend's place was just robbed, wooden boards were broken over his(a) and another friends(b) head. The other guy had to go to the hospital to get 8 staples in his head, but on the up side, friend a got the guy in his back and in the collar bone with his battle axe, and the cops found some of the guys already, and one of them plead guilty yesterday to attempted murder, robbery, aggravated assault, and some other shit.

+1 us

You don't mess with D&D nerds!

noir_blood on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    GiantRobo wrote: »
    ...friend a got the guy in his back and in the collar bone with his battle axe...

That is fucking metal.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If the guy was able to get away afterwards, it's slightly less metal.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Grislo wrote: »
    You gotta let one escape so people see the one-armed, one-eared guy in the bar and know not to fuck with your bobblehead collection and/or family.

TL DR on
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Grislo wrote: »

Still metal though. :)

Anyway, I've only had one run-in with low life's. In my second year of college I decided to stay home sick, though I could have easily managed to go in. I was down in the basement on the computer, and heard a knock on the door and went upstairs to check it out. I popped my head into the hallway leading out to the front door, and see someone knocking but decide not to answer, as I don't recognize them and didn't want to deal with door-to-door people. I head back down to the basement, and a couple minutes later I hear some scratching at the basement window behind me. When I go to look, the guy who had been knocking on the door is there trying to force his way in, and is apparently ignoring the fact that there are very visible bars on the window.

I grabbed a baseball bat and went upstairs, and just watched him for a minute from an overlooking window. He doesn't notice me until I gently knock on the window, and then he bolts towards the front of the house and down the street. I chased him for a second, but didn't really have the balls for a confrontation.

Freaked me out though, and I'm still a little edgy when home alone.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Now that I think of it, I've never been the victim of a crime of any sort

Medopine on
  • Options
    InHumanInHuman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Medopine wrote: »

Don't jinx it.

And no, that was not a threat.
    Yes it was.

InHuman on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Medopine wrote: »

If you want, you could be my :whistle: victim of love :whistle:.

EDIT: Okay, that sounded a whole lot creepier than I had intended.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So I work at a recreation centre and its a quiet Sunday afternoon. I'm standing at the front counter which is right beside the front doors. This kid comes in and asks to use the washroom. As he walking towards the washroom he asks me to watch his bike, which he left right outside the doors. I recognize the kid and decide to be a smartass and jokingly say, "Sure I'll watch it...watch it get stolen!" The moment he enters the washroom, which is about 6 seconds from the front doors, some guy grabs the kids bike, hops on and starts riding away. After the initial shock of "did that just happen?" I run out after the guy, but quickly realise there's no way I'm going to be able to catch up to him. I then go back inside and have to tell the kid, " you know how I just told you I was going to watch your bike get stolen? Well, I just watched your bike get stolen."

It's all pretty bizzare and kind of shocking since it happened SO quickly and in a pretty nice area.

The kids mom came in about thirty minutes later in a huge fit, acting like her son was stolen or something. And then next Sunday the kid tried doing the same thing with his new bike...

Lail on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I was walking home with a friend at about 3am in a lonely street, when we suddenly see two skind heads walk towards us.
    Well we assume they are skin heads, because they are wearing the usual skinhead attire of black boots, jeans/camo pants and bomber jackets.

We can't actually tell they're skinheads, because they're wearing white bags with holes for the eyes on their heads.
    Preparing to run away, the guys ask us in a harsh tone

"HEY YOU GUYS!! DO YOU WANT TROUBLE?!?!"

We reply, truthfully
    "No, actually.."

They go.
    "Oh, sorry!" And just walk away casually.

I was half expecting them to ask me whether I could fit in an appointment later that week, or some other time, if I happened to want trouble.
    Nicest skin heads I've EVER met

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    One time, in middle school, someone stole all of my pokemon cards.

and then tried to fence them the next day. I forget exactly how I found out, but the end result was me latching onto him like a barnacle and shouting for a teacher the second I saw him with my cards >:|. There was a shiny Charizard in my collection too! This was a big deal back then!

tangentially related side story: One time, I would have been about 13 or so, I was going to pick up Red Alert 2 from a Wal-Mart. I had the game in my hands and was admiring all of the tantalizing details the box promised to hold within when the cashier asked me if he could see the box. A generally accommodating child, I complied. I think he must have assumed I was stealing it or...something? Because he just put it back on the shelf. Wherein I immediately picked it up again and went to the other, non-assuming cashier to check out. My first criminal act?

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I had a kid steal a bunch of Magic cards from me once. I was probably a sophomore in high school or so, he was like 4 years younger. I just came home one day and found about half of a stack of random rares missing. I might have just thought I'd misplaced them if he took them all, but half of them missing was too suspicious.

So I found out that this kid had been over with my little brother that day, and biked over to his house. I knew his older brother a little better than him, so it wasn't too weird. The kid looked nervous, but tried to play it off. I see his binder of cards sitting there in the kitchen, next to his mother.

I ask to see it.

He kinda stammers as I pick it up.

I flip through, see all the cards he took from me nicely organized in a couple pages. So I ask if I can have them back.

He says yeah.

His mom seems to suspect something, but I just say that I let him borrow some cards for a while. I even give him back one card that was in the mix that wasn't mine.

Honestly, I don't know why I was so nice about it. He came into my home and took things that belonged to me.

At least I know that I scared the shit out of him.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So a couple years ago I was at the local mall looking for a wii. I'm walking along and I realize that I'm being followed. I glance over my shoulder and it's three rednecks. one of them has a lynyrd skynyrd tee-shirt, and I shit you not another had a confederate flag trucker cap. They're talking amongst themselves but deliberately loud enough that I can hear about how much they hate towel heads, camel jockeys et cetera. I don't think much of it for awhile, but they keep following me, and keep saying shit about middle-easterners, and I realize holy fuck, they think I'm an arab, I suppose on account of my beard. I figure I'm safe from them attacking me because at this point we're in the food court surrounded by witnesses, so I decide to turn around and try to get them to leave me alone. They're having none of it; they start yelling about how much they hate my kind and I stupidly yell back that my kind is predominantly polish, and mall security kicks us all out.

So I think the matter is pretty much done with. I'm not especially bothered by getting kicked out of the mall and I've got shit to do anyway, so I go into the parking deck and walk back to my car. The three rednecks apparently kept following me, because as soon as I turn the corner into the parking deck I get a face full of elbow, and they proceed to beat the everloving shit out of me. Because they thought I was an arab. When really I'm eastern european. And this all takes place in a mall in suburban central NJ.

It was pretty funny in retrospect though

Typhoid Manny on
    from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Little known fact: NJ is the state with the largest number of official members of the KKK.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    BasicBasic Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Rakeeth wrote: »

-Once while I was five my house got robbed and my entire family got roused out of their beds by the robbers while they stole shit. It was very traumatizing I'm told because I apparently slept though the whole thing. As a result of this incident, every time we leave at night and don't leave anyone home, we leave all the lights on to "trick" robbers into believing that someone is still home. It doesn't really make sense and it wastes electricity but it makes my parents feel safer.

I wouldn't write that off as entirely nonsensical. I once read an autobiography of a former burglar that keeping the bathroom light on was always an effective deterrent, since robbers couldn't figure out if the house is actually vacant or not. Keeping on all the lights on for extended periods has the reverse effect, since who keeps all the lights on in a house?

The autobiography was of Malcolm X, for anyone who was curious.

Basic on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Tarantio wrote: »
    Little known fact: NJ is the state with the largest number of official members of the KKK.

And most of em are all down in the Barrens..... :p

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Basic wrote: »
    Rakeeth wrote: »

-Once while I was five my house got robbed and my entire family got roused out of their beds by the robbers while they stole shit. It was very traumatizing I'm told because I apparently slept though the whole thing. As a result of this incident, every time we leave at night and don't leave anyone home, we leave all the lights on to "trick" robbers into believing that someone is still home. It doesn't really make sense and it wastes electricity but it makes my parents feel safer.

I wouldn't write that off as entirely nonsensical. I once read an autobiography of a former burglar that keeping the bathroom light on was always an effective deterrent, since robbers couldn't figure out if the house is actually vacant or not. Keeping on all the lights on for extended periods has the reverse effect, since who keeps all the lights on in a house?

The autobiography was of Malcolm X, for anyone who was curious.

I thought about that when I read his post :D
    Fantastic book.

TL DR on
  • Options
    Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, lights on in a house is a pretty effective deterrant, this is why they sell timers for the lights...

This is also why I leave lights on in my apartment if I'm going to be gone less than a day... If over a day I'll leave a different light on....

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The entire rear window on my family's car was stolen once.

Just that, the window.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited May 2009

And most of em are all down in the Barrens..... :p

oh man, those piney motherfuckers

Typhoid Manny on
  • Options
    KenninatorKenninator Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    In 4th grade someone stole my green gameboy pocket with pokemon blue inside it. It was in my backpack outside the classroom. I'd beaten the elite 4 and gotten mewtwo, so as a kid losing all that was pretty damn heartbreaking.

Next day I saw the fucker playing it during lunch. I knew it was mine, because of the way the upc code was rubbed off. Me and my friends proceeded to walk over to him. He clamed to have found it somewhere and gave it back without me having to get a teacher. I had planned to not tell on him after that. He was the type of kid that was always getting trouble because he couldn't control himself, and I figured that since he gave it back without trouble, he really didn't mean too much harm.

Kenninator on
  • Options
    AnomeAnome Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This is my "naive small town girl learns about bad people in the city" story.

Last summer I was coming home from work at around 11:30 or so at night. I lived in east Van at that point but had only been there a month or so, having lived in buttfuck nowhere for the better part of the past 21 years, so while I knew some of the people in the area were sketchy I still was probably way too trusting. I got off the Skytrain at Main (anyone living in Vancouver knows that's not the very best place especially at night). I get down the stairs and this homeless guy comes up asking me for help. He's looking really disheveled and claims to have broken a rib and only wants money for a bus ride home. I have a bus pass so no transfer to give him and my only money is a 20 and I'm certainly not giving him that but I feel bad so I figure I'll go back up to the ticket vending machine and buy him a ticket. He's following behind but really slowly so I go to the machine and get the ticket but when I reach for my change he suddenly grabs my arm and says, quite forcefully, "NO." I keep trying to get my money when he reaches with his free hand into his coat and says, "look, lady, I really don't want to have to rob you," so I leave the money and run down the stairs.

In retrospect I realized that there were people around, I could have called out and maybe scared him off or even pushed him over, he was pretty unstable looking, but fear took over and I just took off. I never saw what it was that he had in his pocket. Whatever it was, my safety was worth more to me than $20. I don't think I've given anything to homeless people since that night.

edit: I just realized I should probably also have been suspicious of a homeless guy asking for money to get home...

Anome on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Someone punched in the back window on my hatchback, rifled through all my cds, and took nothing.

I was sort of insulted.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    someone broke into my dad's car, stole like 3 cd's, and then stomped on his david bowie cd's.
    i was all WTF

who doesn't like david bowie?

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    DachshundDachshund Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My wife doesn't like Bowie :(

Headin' to the court haus to pick up divorce papers right now

Dachshund on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Perhaps that was for theatrics.
    The Bowie Stomping Thief

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The only encounter with criminals I remember happened at least a decade ago, when we were still living in the Philippines.

We were riding in the front seats of a jeepney somewhere and it had stopped in front of some kind of market to pick up more passengers. Some dude walked up to us, grabbed my mother's expensive necklace, and took off. My mother ran after him, but he got away.

In his grab for the necklace, the thief also kinda half-punched me in the face, but I was okay.

Kaboodles_The_Assassin on
    sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The only run in I've really had was when I had my windshield smashed in. They didnt try to steal anything, they just broke my window. Bastards.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

I believe it. NJ is like a fucking shopping mall (and coincidentally full of shopping malls). We've got shitholes like Camden, and wonderful towns like Brick. We've got the hive of activity and culture that is Newark. Drive an hour west and you're in the middle of the country with farms and cow crossing signs and huge open spaces. You want it? We got it.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    We are the best state

Typhoid Manny on
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dachshund wrote: »

I don't like Bowie either.

It's not a crime.
    Sorry for going offtopic

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dachshund wrote: »

I don't like Bowie either.

It's not a crime.
    Sorry for being wrong.

Hrm... forget criminals, seems we gots us a coupla commies, boys!

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    One time I went to Wal-mart, grabbed what I had come for, went to the self-check-out line. I paid with my credit card, for the little terminal asked for my signature. Feeling a tad bit feisty, I signed it in print letters "Credit Card Fraud". It accepted it, printed out my receipt with the signature I signed printed right there on the receipt.

I head towards the exit and one of the greeters stops me, asking to see my receipt. I calmly hand her the receipt, she looks over it intently, clearly lingers a bit on the signature, and then nods, hands me my receipt and waves me through. That one greatly confused me.

We have those same electronic signature-things at work, and there's been a few times where instead of my quick 'JL' initials, I'll rise up to the occasion and be artistic. On Christmas Eve, I was grabbing a couple last minute things (not neccesarily gifts, just a poinsettia for my parents, extra batteries, shit like that), and decided that there's got to be someone, somewhere, who sees this, so I drew out a nativity scene that would make a 3-year old Van Gogh proud, and signed "Merry Christmas" over the manger.

And then there was a day a few days back, much like today, where shitty was not only the general feeling, but also the temperature, the weather, the work load, and the entire feeling of working for my department manager. On that day, upon the purchase of a single Mountain Dew, I signed "Go Fucking Fuck Yourself", and a small yet so angry looking Bird. You know the one.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    my brother drew a penis for the signature once and it went through fine

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    so does drawing a house or a smiley face

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    BasicBasic Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My run-ins with criminals and the like:

When I was 6, my family's apartment was broken into by some guy and almost everything was stolen. I was 8, so I didn't completely understand the gravity of the situation and was relieved to find out my genesis was one of the things left behind. The police caught the guy though, and we got back most of our stuff.

At the age of 14, I was mugged on the way back from my school. They came up to me to ask for some change. I agreed to give them some, but I told them I had to get some change myself. As soon as I turned around they I was punched in the head and then tackled, and punched again while the other guy took my wallet out of my pockets. I went home, and my mother noticed the bruises, so she called the police and I had to tell them about. They never found the assholes, probably didn't try since it's only one kid bruised up anyways.

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head.

Basic on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    So were you 6 or 8?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    CleonicusCleonicus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    so does drawing a house or a smiley face

This is a pet peeve of mine: People who think that the electronic signature machines verify the signature.
    It's the job of the employee to verify the signature. Could you image if those machines actually verified your signature? Most people's signatures are horrible on those machines because the screens are at odd angles and have horrible sensitivity. The only thing that those machines do is store your signature, just like a piece of paper, in case there is a problem with the transaction later. And no, your credit/debit card company doesn't check each one of your recipes to validate the signature either. That would be a huge money sink for the card company.

/rant

So um, my crime stories...
    About 10 years ago in college, a friend left a door unlocked on my car and three things were stolen: a sub-woofer box that my brother had given me (I never used it because I don't like loud, thumping music), a set of gamer dice, and my car's ashtray with the less-than-a-dollar's worth of change.

I also worked at a music store in college and during Christmas we had a women take her daughter to the back of our store and take a crap on the floor because we didnt' have a public restroom. I was just glad that I didn't have to clean it up.

Really petty stuff.

Cleonicus on
    Debate 'n' DeHockey team: Astronauts