As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mother accused of child abuse.

ArkanArkan Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Backstory: My mother teaches preschool locally. Up until recently she mostly did special needs children; recently the school made cutbacks and also had her cover the regular program.

Recently, one of the parents of one of the kids in her program accused her of abusing the parent in question's child. For evidence, she provides some bruises (And what kid at that age isn't a bruised mess- c'mon, I was a scrawny little nerd and I still constantly scraped my knees and tripped over everything), a theory about what happened, and the evidence of one other person. This has gotten her incredibly worked up; she's having panic attacks, is on the phone practically all the time talking to a friend or her lawyer, and is terrified this will go to court and she'll be found guilty and wind up in jail. She's already been suspended ("for her own protection") and the police have gotten involved, primarily just to investigate and talk to some people.

Now I know this is bullshit; she's probably the single most timid person I know and parents tend to be overprotective of their children. Before I talk to her about this and try to stop her from stressing herself to death, I want to get some things straight.

Evidence. As I understand it everything against her is circumstantial: there is the account of two adults, neither of whom were present at the time of the supposed abuse. On the other hand, in her favor are the aides who were in her classrom at the time plus however many teachers and god knows how many children who were also in the hallway/adjoining classrooms at the time (said abuse supposedly took place in a hallway with the child screaming the whole time - and no one heard this?). And while school in question is fairly old, it's been renovated lately and may have security cameras. So all of that evidence against almost nothing on the other hand. Plus her record- she's taught there for about 5 years now with a perfect record by all accounts. I don't know about you, but when she's bringing home gifts weekly from parents/kids I don't think there's any abuse going on there.

Now as I understand it, the burden to provide evidence is on the prosecution ("innocent until proven guilty"). I can't imagine that kind of flimsy evidence would work at all in court. Reasonable doubt and all that- there's barely any evidence that she did something wrong and all the proof in the world that she did nothing out of order. (I have seen 12 angry men, y'know.)
My thinking is this (and this is all theory, mind): Parents in question have met her several times. Mother is incredibly timid; they've probably noticed. And this is right at the end of the school year. So they're trying this not to open a court case but intimidate her/the school into settling out of court so they get a big fat check in the mail. I doubt any sane person would think they had a chance in court given the above; of course, there's also the possibility we're talking about absurdly overprotective parents and they haven't thought that far ahead.

So unless the jury is completely out of their minds, I can't imagine this would get anywhere near a guilty verdict in court.

Am I on the right track here? I really want to talk to her about this but at the same time I don't want to be talking out of my ass when I do so; the last thing I want to do is give her the wrong idea so she gets even more worked up the next time she speaks to her lawyer.

Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
Arkan on

• Options
    Aoi TsukiAoi Tsuki Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ouch. It sounds like a shakedown and/or an attempt to cover their own abusive ass(es).

Not much you can do but support her and keep in mind that there's no reason she'll go to jail. D:

Aoi Tsuki on
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah; the big thing is mostly that she's gotten in her head that she has to prove that she's innocent, when in fact they have to prove that she's guilty.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    EriosErios Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If you find out it's not a legit (but wrongheaded) complaint/tort on the part of the alleged victims, counter sue the fuck out of them for wrongful prosecution and seek punitive damages. Extreme emotional distress go go go.

EDIT: Kindly remind her that it is almost impossible to prove innocence. Thus, our justice system has the binary results guilty and not guilty, rather than guilty and innocent or innocent and not innocent.

Erios on
    Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Arkan wrote: »
    Yeah; the big thing is mostly that she's gotten in her head that she has to prove that she's innocent, when in fact they have to prove that she's guilty.

In court yes, but in the publics eye she might already be seen as guilty. (I dont know if there is media attention or anything but society is always quick to lay blame)

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    EriosErios Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Arkan wrote: »

In court yes, but in the publics eye she might already be seen as guilty. (I dont know if there is media attention or anything but society is always quick to lay blame)

Hence countersuing for $microsoft, citing reputation and thus employment damages, as well as extreme emotional duress.

Erios on
    Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
  • Options
    Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think you should leave the law to the lawyer. Most of what you say seems right from a common-sense perspective, but the law is a strange beast sometimes. [Edit] Innocent until proven guilty and the standard of beyond a reasonable doubt are cornerstones of your criminal justice system, and you can stress them as principles, but be careful trying to apply them as a layperson.

The best thing you can do is just offer your mom general support. Tell her that you know she didn't do it, that she must trust the lawyer to do everything he can to fight the charges, and that everything will be fine. Also remind her that she will be most helpful to her lawyer--and, by extension, herself--if she answers any questions she is asked as completely and truthfully as possible, even if they're difficult to answer, or seem to be hostile.

And absolutely consider bringing a malicious prosecution action against the parents.

Grid System on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited May 2009
    I'm completely with Erios on this one. While everything should most certainly be dealt with by her lawyer, the fact that she is having panic attacks (I'm assuming she didn't have them before) and is probably suffering from emotional distress gives you prime reasoning to absolutely counter-sue if "nothing" comes of this.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    robothero wrote: »
    I'm completely with Erios on this one. While everything should most certainly be dealt with by her lawyer, the fact that she is having panic attacks (I'm assuming she didn't have them before) and is probably suffering from emotional distress gives you prime reasoning to absolutely counter-sue if "nothing" comes of this.

Except, proving that someone brought a suit in bad faith is pretty damn hard to do.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think you should leave the law to the lawyer. Most of what you say seems right from a common-sense perspective, but the law is a strange beast sometimes..

Limed for truthfulness.

OP, did they actually charge your mom with any crimes, or is it just a police investigation at this time? Because if she hasn't been charged with any crimes, then you don't need to worry about concepts like bruden of proof and the Rules of Evidence.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    I think you should leave the law to the lawyer. Most of what you say seems right from a common-sense perspective, but the law is a strange beast sometimes..

Limed for truthfulness.

OP, did they actually charge your mom with any crimes, or is it just a police investigation at this time? Because if she hasn't been charged with any crimes, then you don't need to worry about concepts like bruden of proof and the Rules of Evidence.

Yep. This is why there are lawyers. So you don't have to go to random tards on the Internet for legal advice.

necroSYS on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    necroSYS wrote: »
    Limed for truthfulness.

Yep. This is why there are lawyers. So you don't have to go to random tards on the Internet for legal advice.
    Seriously. This is what your lawyer is for. Your mom needs to realize that the best thing she can do right now is sit tight, and do exactly what her lawyer tells her to do. Don't even start to worry about things like burden of proof or evidence or anything like that until she's actually charged with something; her lawyer can tell her how likely that is to happen. And you don't need to start talking lawsuits until the investigation is over.

In the meantime, she should use the time off to do something relaxing. Start hitting up the gym or something like that. Instead of doing nothing but sitting around the house worrying about it, she should do things to keep her mind off of it, since there's nothing she can do at this point but let her lawyer work, and brood.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This shit can get pretty messy. It could be that some sort of weird child protection or education agency may be involved - and at least here (UK) the law relating to that is all kinds of tangled, without even bringing the police or criminal law into it.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    robothero wrote: »

Except, proving that someone brought a suit in bad faith is pretty damn hard to do.

This. The OP's mom would have to prove that they knew she didn't hurt their child and short of them admitting this that will be near impossible.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I wanted to give one piece of advice on this, just from some semi-personal experience. My best friend's wife had some sexual abuse allegations leveled on her when she was a teacher. The news media was somewhat silent on the whole case, because there wasn't much of a case. However, the school was placing extreme pressure on her, eventually telling her "you need to resign, or we'll fire you." She made the mistake of giving her resignation, meaning essentially admitting guilt to the administrators, and ensuring that she could not file for unemployment.

What I'm getting at is (and this goes for every job), if the school starts pressuring your mother, make sure she holds her ground. If they want to force her out of the position, she needs to make sure that it is clear that they must fire her to get rid of her.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    GafferoGaffero Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    To Do:

1. Lawyer up. Serious allegations should never be taken lightly even if they have no basis in fact.

(2.) If unionized, get in contact with union reps (who can often be lawyers) to provide counsel. If she's non-unionized, then she should defer to her lawyer's judgment.

And most importantly:

3. Relax; your mother knows that she's not guilty. As Thanatos said, have her use the time off to do something relaxing. Start hitting up the gym or something like that. Instead of doing nothing and sitting around the house worrying about it, she should do things to keep her mind off of it, since there's nothing she can do at this point but let her lawyer work, and brood.

My mother is vice-president (and soon to be president) of her local school union and has dealt with many similar situations. Be patient; stuff like this takes awhile to resolve.

Gaffero on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'll just reiterate:

Let the lawyer do the work and worry about the case.. you are paying him to do that.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Have charges been brought against her or is it just being investigated? If you are in the US and cps has gotten involved most likely after their investigation it will show there was no abuse. These allegations have to be investigated most porsecutors won't file charges until a report from cps is given. Even if abuse is proven depending on the severity of the injury jailtime may not even be involved although it is recomended if formal charges are brought to follow the advise of legal council. If it is still under investigation she shouldn't worry I'm sure it will be found nothing wrong was done.

tech_hunter on
    Sig to mucho Grande!
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I wanted to give one piece of advice on this, just from some semi-personal experience. My best friend's wife had some sexual abuse allegations leveled on her when she was a teacher. The news media was somewhat silent on the whole case, because there wasn't much of a case. However, the school was placing extreme pressure on her, eventually telling her "you need to resign, or we'll fire you." She made the mistake of giving her resignation, meaning essentially admitting guilt to the administrators, and ensuring that she could not file for unemployment.

What I'm getting at is (and this goes for every job), if the school starts pressuring your mother, make sure she holds her ground. If they want to force her out of the position, she needs to make sure that it is clear that they must fire her to get rid of her.

This is the only other really great advice in the thread beyond "listen to your lawyer". And if one were to run that scenario past their lawyer, I strongly suspect that the lawyer would insist that they do nothing in response to the school's pressure.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH