As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I need a game to play...Help Me find it!

28682868 Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Games and Technology
Perhaps this should be in H/A. But I think G&T is where I'll find the best advice.

Here's the sitch. I've been away from the forums awhile, as I've been away from gaming. Drastic life upheavals deprived me of gaming outlets and now leave me with limited gaming options in the way of budget, platform, and time. But god I miss the escape vidya games provide.

Here's what I've got:

A macbook, 2ghz intel core 2 duo, 2GB of Ram, Lame-o intel graphics proc
That's it. I don't even have a TV right now.

Budget, Free to 19.99-29.99

I'm not opposed to older games that may be well played, but require rediscovery.

I like games that are intuitive, deep, and easy to get in and hard to master. My favorite game of all time is disgaea. I like strategy and RPGs the most.

I've tried dwarf fortress, I couldn't handle the ASCII, mostly because I'm a coward. However I think I'd love it if only it could be made more accessible, googled tileset instructions did not help.

I'd love to find a game like baldur's gate (NWN, BGII, etc) or a sufficient Diablo clone like divine divinity, to distract me from work.

MMORPGS are ok to advise, but I can't commit to WoW like demands, and to my chagrin EVE can't be played on macbooks.

Please help me PA Forums, you're my only hope.

Warhams. Allatime warhams.

buy warhams
2868 on

• Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Perhaps Rome or Medieval: Total War, if your computer can handle the latter.

Civ 4 is always a good one.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If you like RTS's at all, you should get Starcraft if you don't already have it. It's still awesome and we have a thread here for playing it and everything!

I am not biased.

Lemming on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dorves, Liberal Crime Squad(latest=319.24, check board), Gearhead (www.gearheadrpg.com).

Not much else for macs other than ports of roguelikes.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Can you bootcamp?

Anyway, World of Goo has a Mac version, and it's one of the best indie games of last year. Relatively cheap, and easy on the system requirements.

subedii on
  • Options
    Dangerou-DaveDangerou-Dave __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    I posted this list in another thread of games I was mulling.

You can buy them all at http://gamersgate.com/ It's a digital distribution site, so as soon as the download's done, you need only install and play.

Sacred Plus 10$
    Heroes of Might and Magic V 20$
    HoMM V: Tribes of the East 15$
    Company of Heroes 10$
    Elven Legacy 15$
    Gothic 2 - 5$
    Gothic 3 15$
    X3 Reunion 10$
    Civilization 3 10$
    Age of Booty 10$
    Titan Quest 15$
    Spellforce 2 15$
    Anno 1503 10$

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well, if your trouble with Dwarf Fortress is the non euclidean learning curve, there's a 40 part video tutorial that breaks things down pretty nicely.

We also have a thread where people discuss glass cities and diabolical murder machines.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I posted this list in another thread of games I was mulling.

You can buy them all at http://gamersgate.com/ It's a digital distribution site, so as soon as the download's done, you need only install and play.

Sacred Plus 10$
    Heroes of Might and Magic V 20$
    HoMM V: Tribes of the East 15$
    Company of Heroes 10$
    Elven Legacy 15$
    Gothic 2 - 5$
    Gothic 3 15$
    X3 Reunion 10$
    Civilization 3 10$
    Age of Booty 10$
    Titan Quest 15$
    Spellforce 2 15$
    Anno 1503 10$

Well yeah, but he wasn't just asking for cheap games, he was asking for games that could run on a Mac with crappy integrated graphics. I'm not sure how well Company of Heroes scales to that. :lol:

subedii on
  • Options
    Funguy McAidsFunguy McAids Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You should totally play Warcraft 3, its expansion, and then DotA!!!!

Funguy McAids on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Company of Heroes will run on a Macbook, just not great and with everything on low. I've managed it before.

I don't know if it's your type of game but Spore will run (on low to medium) and it's an entertaining little diversion and you should be able to snap it up cheap enough for now

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Company of Heroes will run on a Macbook, just not great and with everything on low. I've managed it before.

Well I'm surprised. Guess integrated graphics isn't as bad as it used to be.

On that note, Red Alert 3 ought to hopefully run better then, and it's a good RTS that keeps up the finest traditions of camp FMV.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Awesome, thanks for the advice. I lurk the Dwarf fortress thread, only when I start to play it makes me woozy. I need a easy gui in my games. I'll look at the videos though.

Nice list D-Dave, I will take ample time to peruse said games once paid. HoMM, I played a bit back when I was a rich PC gamer, I never stuck with it. I kept wishing it was microprose's master's of magic. Maybe I'll like em more now.

2868 on

buy warhams
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It sounds like the best solution would be a bootcamp partition with a Steam account. Keep an eye on the weekend deals, and the vast library of great games. Steam has singlehandedly brought PC gaming back into my life, after I swore it off a few years ago.

I'm sure you could manage to get a cheap or free legal copy of Windows XP, there are licenses all over the place, take one off an old machine a friend has lying around or something.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    If you're bootcamping, GOG.com (Good Old Games) has a lot of classic games at cheap prices. Best is that they're all DRM free as well.

Personal recommendation would be the Freepsace games, because they're still some of the best space combat games ever made. Although most people these days don't have a joystick lying around, so I'm not sure how viable that'd be for you.

Jagged Alliance 2 is an extremely awesome SRPG. Basically you take control of a squad (or squads) of mercenaries as you attempt to overthrow the dictator of an island nation. Combat's very tactical, and outside of that you're in charge of finances, hiring and firing, weapon procurement, militia training and other stuff. It's a fairly in depth game that'll last you a decent amount of time. Mercenaries also level up as their skills are used, and there's the occasional quest in order to gain favour with the locals of a particular city.

Speaking of older games, I've been thinking of picking up Beyond Good and Evil. Worth it?

subedii on
  • Options
    The EverymanThe Everyman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    People keep recommending games on the grounds that he can bootcamp into windows, but if 2868 doesn't already bootcamp and is on a budget, he's not going to be able to afford a copy of windows to install on his mac, I surmise.

The Everyman on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    People keep recommending games on the grounds that he can bootcamp into windows, but if 2868 doesn't already bootcamp and is on a budget, he's not going to be able to afford a copy of windows to install on his mac, I surmise.

Well he liked Dangerous Dave's list, which you wouldn't really be able to tackle just using OSX. So I think that fuelled the presumption that he does.

subedii on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I know I recommend this a lot, but it's just because it's fun.

Battle for Wesnoth, a turn-based strategy game. Graphics are 2D sprite-based, using a hexagonal grid setup. It's open source, thus free, and it comes in a MacOSX version.

Screenshot:
    wesnoth-1.6-4.jpg

citizen059 on
  • Options
    vader111vader111 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    citizen059 wrote: »

Battle for Wesnoth, a turn-based strategy game. Graphics are 2D sprite-based, using a hexagonal grid setup. It's open source, thus free, and it comes in a MacOSX version.

Screenshot:
    wesnoth-1.6-4.jpg

Listen to this man.

vader111 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Screenshot:
    wesnoth-1.6-4.jpg

Uhh, holee shit. That looks rad. Getting.

I am not bootcamping now, but have considered it based on this thread. I put feelers out to friends for old WinXP. Man I loved jagged alliance2 I need that fix.

2868 on

buy warhams
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    2868 wrote: »

Screenshot:
    wesnoth-1.6-4.jpg

Uhh, holee shit. That looks rad. Getting.

I am not bootcamping now, but have considered it based on this thread. I put feelers out to friends for old WinXP. Man I loved jagged alliance2 I need that fix.

GOG are also selling the expansion pack (Unfinished Business), but to be honest I never really liked that. It's pretty much just a linear trek through some tough sectors to get to the end point. There's also the commercially released fan-mod "Wildfire", but I've heard that's not very good either.

subedii on
  • Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    I don't know if it's your type of game but Spore will run (on low to medium) and it's an entertaining little diversion and you should be able to snap it up cheap enough for now

What?!?
    Spore barely works on my Macbook Pro on the lowest settings!

Lost Canuck on
    QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The older blizzard RTSes will all run on macs and all are about 20-30$ at this point. Warcraft II/III and Starcraft.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You could always play Myth1 and 2. They were made for the mac!
    http://www.amazon.com/Myth-Total-Codex-Pc/dp/B000031KJW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1242687256&sr=1-2
    Squad based real time strategy vs zombies.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    TemporusTemporus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Lemming wrote: »
    If you like RTS's at all, you should get Starcraft if you don't already have it. It's still awesome and we have a thread here for playing it and everything!

I am not biased.

This. I am not biased in anyway either

Temporus on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Plants vs. Zombies has a Mac version and it's all sorts of awesome: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=86836

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Plants vs. Zombies has a Mac version and it's all sorts of awesome: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=86836

Recommanding this.

Brains...
    We want Brains...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N1_0SUGlDQ

Watch that Music Video and you will buy the game :p

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Dangerou-DaveDangerou-Dave __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    It sounds like the best solution would be a bootcamp partition with a Steam account. Keep an eye on the weekend deals, and the vast library of great games. Steam has singlehandedly brought PC gaming back into my life, after I swore it off a few years ago.

To be fair, while I do enjoy buying games on Steam more than any other distribution site, it's hardly a vast library. It pales in comparison to the amount of games available on Gamersgate or Direct2Drive...and I just bought X3 from Gamersgate for half the price of what it was on Steam, so I'd keep on eye out on those sites as well.

I mean, that said...damn I do love Steam. I wish it would catch up to the other sites in terms of content.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    As mentioned, Plants v. Zombies is a lot of fun - tower defense in the front yard (and back yard, and roof).

For something completely different, check out Estiah.com; it is a collectible card game crossed with an MMO, web-based, free to play (but with paid upgrades available to support that don't effect balance), and has a solid Penny Arcade guild at the top of the leaderboards. (We're using an off-site guild forum, which is why that thread is pretty much dead.)

Darian on