As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So you think you've been scammed.

KelorKelor Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay so I want to run this buy you guys since I've seen it happen to some other people on here. I picked up a PS3 on Ebay last night, then logged on this morning to see if I'd had any messages from his regarding me purchasing it.

But wait. It's not listed on my won auctions any longer.

I'm not feeling that good about this, so I check Paypal. Payment has gone through without any issues, I search for the seller and find this. So he no longer has a registered account.

Now I was sort of hesitant to bid on it initially, however there had been two set of feedback from people who had bought a PS3 off him, along with a Wii so it seemed ok. It was my own fault for not reading through the negs but I had had a friend bid on it for me since I was at work and told him to go ahead before I'd looked at it.

Anyways, I opened a dispute with Paypal, but there is no way he's going to reply to this and the minimum wait to escalate it to Paypal's attention is a week. I've contacted them via email and told them where things stand at this time and while reading through the FAQs it says that the funds are frozen from access while the dispute is open. So hopefully recovery should be ok, I think there is a waiting period for vendors before they are able to touch the funds from a transaction?

As far as I can tell I've done what I can but thought I'd run it by you guys as well but wanted to ask if there is anything that I've missed doing at this stage. If I contact my bank can I cancel the transfer to Paypal since it is done via credit card?

Kelor on

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Do you have an email or such for contacting the guy directly? There's always a chance he still intends to send it out as he does seem to have plenty of good feedback. Of course continue with all the processes you have started in case he has done a runner.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    KillgrimageKillgrimage Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's pretty clear this guy is a scammer. A 94% rating is atrocious and should have sent you running. This coupled with the fact that he's no longer registered means he's gone with all your money.

The good news is you paid via credit card, which you can absolutely use to do chargeback. You shouldn't have any problems getting through the process with your card company, as long as you aren't doing it all the time, they will usually trust you and give the money back. Do this asap since if they ask for any paperwork or receipts or something, you'll still have that stuff fresh.

Killgrimage on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The good news is you paid via credit card, which you can absolutely use to do chargeback. You shouldn't have any problems getting through the process with your card company, as long as you aren't doing it all the time, they will usually trust you and give the money back. Do this asap since if they ask for any paperwork or receipts or something, you'll still have that stuff fresh.

I have contacted my bank, but the actual transaction hasn't been processed yet. From what the guy said once they actually charge the card I can get them to chargeback the payment. Normal Paypal will send payment through and then the funds clear with my bank and restore the balance to the Paypal account but on the plus side it doesn't appear as though he should get anything.

I've emailed him but don't hold much hope for a reply.

For those people that sell on Ebay, is the a cooloff period where you are unable to touch the money from a sale or is it possible to withdraw it immediately? I've had a poke around the Paypal site couldn't spot anything.

Thanks for the help thus far though.

Kelor on
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This happened to me for a smaller amount. Purchased something and then found, immediately, that the seller's account was banned.

eBay advised to open a Paypal dispute. I got my money back without a problem. It's enough for Paypal that the seller was kicked off eBay, you shouldn't have any issues.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Paypal will 99% of the time side with the buyer.

Regardless buying through paypal actually insures you for the purchase.

You will get your money back.

Blake T on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Blaket wrote: »
    Paypal will 99% of the time side with the buyer.

Regardless buying through paypal actually insures you for the purchase.

You will get your money back.

Bullshit. The only reason this is an easy win is because the seller got b& for being a scammer.

If the seller shipped the guy a brick-in-a-box, tracked and insured, Paypal would side with him.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    RhavenRhaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This happened to me for a smaller amount. Purchased something and then found, immediately, that the seller's account was banned.

eBay advised to open a Paypal dispute. I got my money back without a problem. It's enough for Paypal that the seller was kicked off eBay, you shouldn't have any issues.

I don't know, I had almost the same thing happen to me - won an auction for a small item (~$25), sent payment immediately and then found the next day that the seller was no longer a registered user. I didn't pursue anything for a few days and then the item I'd purchased showed up in the mail, as described...so ymmv i guess. I'd be a bit more concerned on a big-ticket item like this, though.

Rhaven on
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Rhaven wrote: »

I don't know, I had almost the same thing happen to me - won an auction for a small item (~$25), sent payment immediately and then found the next day that the seller was no longer a registered user. I didn't pursue anything for a few days and then the item I'd purchased showed up in the mail, as described...so ymmv i guess. I'd be a bit more concerned on a big-ticket item like this, though.

You got your item, so everyone is happy according to paypal.

In my experience, Paypal will side with the buyer when there's actually an issue. They're good, but they're not moron proof, which I believe is worth a mention. When there's an issue, they do a balanced check on the problem, which is all I'm trying to communicate.
    Bullshit. The only reason this is an easy win is because the seller got b& for being a scammer.

If the seller shipped the guy a brick-in-a-box, tracked and insured, Paypal would side with him.

Paypal is at the top of my "customer service" list. "brick-in-a-box" is a different entity entirely, and much more complex due to record.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    When this happened to me PayPal decided to only give me $200 of my $300 purchase back.

Fuckin PayPal.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Werewolf GamerWerewolf Gamer Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I have had it happen twice now and both times i received a refund.
    It sucks waiting but i'm sure you'll get your money back.

Werewolf Gamer on