As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pharmaceuticals Career Advice

SideAffectsSideAffects Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I know I'm taking a long shot here in seeking advice from a forum where the majority of people seem to be artists/IT people, but it certainly can't hurt :)

The title sums it up: I'm looking to push my career forward in pharmaceuticals. I have a few years experience in the microbiology lab doing QC at a parenteral plant. In the past few years I have been accelerated by promotions to an Analyst position, and at my current company I see little to no opportunity for future advancement. While my schooling and major work experience is in Microbiology, I am not entirely committed to this field. There are numerous examples of company managers of pharma plants starting out as temporary employee QC technicians and eventually through vertical movement getting the big-wig positions. My manager, for example, had no Microbiology experience prior to his hiring...he simply has played the field in Validation, Production, and QA. If it helps I would like to point out that I have very significant experience in sterile manufacturing. The types of projects I have worked on (due to the nature of working at a start-up facility) speak far more than the time I have put in here. I think although my "years" experience and age might work against me, I am very competant and familiar with Senior-level laboratory testing.

If anyone here has any advice as to the best places to search for a job in this field, or advice on what department would be best for bolstering my resume for the future, I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks for your time reading and if this thread is doomed to receiving no replys here, so be it. As I said before, I know it's not the best place to look but who knows?

SideAffects on

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    As a chemistry student, I have taken some tours of major pharmaceutical companies. (Pfizer, Sanofi, Astra Zeneca, in the Netherlands, Belgium, as well as one in Sweden and one in Hungaria) They hire chemists for designing drug synthesis steps, the early phases of drug design. At the time (This is 5 years ago or so), it seemed apparent to me that most chemists who work there in lab positions are promovendi, not Master graduates.

(I realize this is only a small, and perhaps discouraging part of answering your question)

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    RyscaRysca Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'd recommend checking out the websites of some of the companies you're interested in. Many will have a "career" listing which goes into detail open positions. See if any of those positions interest you and then check out what skill set they're expecting. Having QC and Sterile Manufacturing experience will be a huge plus, especially in a laboratory setting, and you're right in that just because you have a microbio degree, doesn't mean you have to study microbiology. I'm a great example, I've got degrees in biology and Comp Sci, but oversee a chemistry lab at one of the biotechs in the bay area.

What area of pharmaceuticals are you interested in and at what location? It sounds like you're interested in management, which depending on what you'd like to oversee will depend on what skill set the employer may be looking for. Are you looking at big pharma or biotetchs in general? Your QC background and a micobiology degree has the potential to open many doors within both biotech and big pharma - QC, QA, Environmental Quality, Product Testing, Large and Small Scale Product Development, Research and Development, etc, etc. It all kind of depends on what you'd like to pursue. Some of them may require going back to school for Masters and Doctorates, but a lot won't.

If you know people in other departments, ask around and see if the stuff they do is of interest to you. If you feel close to your manager, he/she is also a great resource for your development. They've been around the business a bit and may be able to point you in the right direction as well.

rysca

Rysca on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Rysca wrote: »
    I'd recommend checking out the websites of some of the companies you're interested in. Many will have a "career" listing which goes into detail open positions. See if any of those positions interest you and then check out what skill set they're expecting. Having QC and Sterile Manufacturing experience will be a huge plus, especially in a laboratory setting, and you're right in that just because you have a microbio degree, doesn't mean you have to study microbiology. I'm a great example, I've got degrees in biology and Comp Sci, but oversee a chemistry lab at one of the biotechs in the bay area.

What area of pharmaceuticals are you interested in and at what location? It sounds like you're interested in management, which depending on what you'd like to oversee will depend on what skill set the employer may be looking for. Are you looking at big pharma or biotetchs in general? Your QC background and a micobiology degree has the potential to open many doors within both biotech and big pharma - QC, QA, Environmental Quality, Product Testing, Large and Small Scale Product Development, Research and Development, etc, etc. It all kind of depends on what you'd like to pursue. Some of them may require going back to school for Masters and Doctorates, but a lot won't.

If you know people in other departments, ask around and see if the stuff they do is of interest to you. If you feel close to your manager, he/she is also a great resource for your development. They've been around the business a bit and may be able to point you in the right direction as well.

rysca

Ok. So I'm kind of tied to the midwest because of my girlfriend/family. I know it's not the greatest area right now, especially compared to the west coast, but I do think that the industry will be moving in more strongly here in the future. Regardless of that, I'm not too particular about where I end up next, but eventually I'd like to be in management. I'd rather not go back to school for Doctorates (or Masters for that matter, as I've seen so far two technicians pass through here with Masters degrees that did jack squat for them) but I would believe you if you told me something like an MBA was necessary. I'd prefer to work for big pharma personally - I know the sterile manufacturing is a huge bonus (kind of the golden boy of production) so I'd rather not throw the status away to work in food or mechanical manufacturing of some kind.

At my current company I have a large amount of experience outside of microbiology: as one of the first employees hired I watched the plant grow from ~25 people to over 200. I've seen and assisted in nearly every quality IQ/OQ that my department could possibly get involved in from our utilities to clean rooms, and assisted in almost all of my lab's equipment validation. I'm not at all trying to post my resume, just giving you a general idea of what kinds of areas I've been exposed to. Validation seems like a great way to get familiar with every side of the industry, but also seems to be very much contracted work rather than a secure full-time kind of thing. I have experience in both Environmental Monitoring and Raw Material/Finished Product Testing here.

SideAffects on
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Instead of trying to get in with a big pharmaceutical company why not get into molecular genetics and proteomics?
    It's pretty much the way of the future in terms of drug development.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    i worked big pharm for 3+ish years. Best bet is to go through the company website to find something. usually the key number is 3+ years of experience and that will get you in the door.

i was more in the drug discovery side of things so not so much help. but as a microbiologist you might be limited in what is available. and be forewarned you might be pigeonholed into qc type work since that is what your experience is in.

don't be afraid to look at small biotech companies. i personally think they are a better work environment

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    when you say pharmaceuticals, I think you mean working in a pharma-plant, not doing pharmacological drug design, right?

if you have clean room experience, start applying for jobs
    maybe even check with reagent manufacturers like sigma and such, they all have need for sterile workers (lol)

what kind of pharma work exactly, because there's chromatography, tangential flow filtration, cell culture, batch culture, QC, QA, validation, materials control

you see where this is going

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Trillian wrote: »
    Instead of trying to get in with a big pharmaceutical company why not get into molecular genetics and proteomics?
    It's pretty much the way of the future in terms of drug development.
    eh not until the big companies start really taking it seriously

• Options
    witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think that if you want to get into management, a master's degree of some sort is in order. You might not want to get it in a purely clinical area, but there are programs out there that will mix the science and the business aspects of bio-tech and pharmaceuticals in addition to MBAs that focus specifically on those industries. If you do decide to go back to school, you might have to leave the midwest temporarily to attend one of these programs (there might be one in Chicago, but I can't remember).

Other than that, since you're not willing to relocate, I would suggest looking around at the pharmaceutical and biotech companies that have facilities in your area for jobs and submitting resumes to all of them. I have a few friends who work in this field both on the science and business sides and there have been times when a resume submitted years previously has popped in a company's system resulting in an interview/job offer. Also, you should definitely network a lot to get referrals within some of the larger companies. Reach out to other students from your school or co-workers to see what's out there.

Also, if at all possible, you might think about eventually relocating. From what I've seen, the best places to be for this industry is either the northeast or California as there are a lot of firms concentrated in those areas. You might be right about it moving towards the midwest, but it's hard to tell if that happens how quickly it will happen. It really depends on your priorities.

witch_ie on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    also, biomanufacturing degrees are starting to pop up

• Options
    edited May 2009
    when you say pharmaceuticals, I think you mean working in a pharma-plant, not doing pharmacological drug design, right?

if you have clean room experience, start applying for jobs
    maybe even check with reagent manufacturers like sigma and such, they all have need for sterile workers (lol)

what kind of pharma work exactly, because there's chromatography, tangential flow filtration, cell culture, batch culture, QC, QA, validation, materials control

you see where this is going

yeah, pharma-plant, not R&D.

I have experience both qualifying and operating in clean rooms and isolators. I know there are manufacturing operator jobs available, but I personally think going from a qc analyst to a production associate would be a step backwards (in regards to working for reagent manufacturers).

I think I did a relatively good job of describing my work experience in a previous post, but if you'd like specifics or to continue that discussion you can feel free to PM me an alternate way to contact you (and that goes for anyone that has feedback)

SideAffects on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    well when i used to look for positions I always saw QC stuff. just check out company webpages. Clean room skills are a unique skillset to have and are always needed, just like animal handling

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    RyscaRysca Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    from what I've seen (which isn't much, maybe 5 years worth in the industry) in large pharma or even large biotech firms it's not what you know but who you know that ultimately helps get you into management. I'd second the suggestion to start networking with people. Also, an MBA can help, but isn't always required if you are semi-business savy and have a good head on your shoulders. It definitely won't hurt your chances, and may be a win/win if your company has an education program and helps pay part of tuition.

In my experience, it all comes down to who you can impress. A lot of companies do succession planning in the event someone in management leaves. I'd start applying for management positions as they come up if the job description interests you. If you don't get the position, you can always ask the hiring manager what held you back - many times they'll share that info with you.

The midwest has a lot going for it for iotech/big pharma. The problem with the east/west coast is land is so bloody expensive. It's much cheaper to manufacture drugs in the midwest than it is on the coast and all that cost is passed onto the buyer. I can definitely see more biotechs starting up around the midwest - especially as the industry moves into other genetic areas of drug development.

good luck!

rysca

Rysca on