As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Have you sold a steam account or ever wanted to?

splashsplash Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Has anyone ever sold a Steam account and will admit to it? I know the policy they have about it, but certainly it shouldn't be considered illegal. I don't buy many games, but those from Steam all along I've kept in two separate accounts (trying to have some foresight into this digital distribution thing). One account is for games I know I'll want to keep, and the other is for games, I'm guessing, I'll want to part with like any used game.

I feel a bit sleezy talking about this, but I'm guessing sometime in the future selling licenses will become a regular part of digital distribution once we get used to it and there are multiple services competing.

I assume a major problem in selling is having the buyer trust that you will turn over the account or what you have is really there. So maybe you sell to a friend? How strict is Valve or the Steam people about checking for sales or tying your identity to your account? It seems like they completely forbid sharing accounts in any way and will come down as hard as possible.

Is this just all in all a dumb idea?

Far Cry 2 and a few others are just sitting there and I'm never going to pick it up again.

splash on

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    One thing occurs to me is that a Steam account probably won't be worth much in terms of the cost of the games, given that the games decrease in price over time. It already stands that games I bought as amazing deals for $10 or $20 on sale are only that much regularly now, and often half that while on a good weekend.

Especially given that you'd have to try to sell it as one whole chunk as opposed to piecemeal, even if you could I'm not sure how easy it'd be to find buyers.

I have doubts it'd be easy.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    ElQuackElQuack Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm fairly sure half the point of steams design is to stymie the secondary market, which game publishers have always looked upon with derision.

There is no incentive for them to assist you in competing against them. Though I'm not sure how they would know unless the recipient did something stupid.

ElQuack on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This really isn't something we talk about here.

Thanatos on
This discussion has been closed.