As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trying to work Windows XP Pro on a Macbook Pro.(Updated)

MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Right, so recently I installed Windows XP Pro SP3 on my macbook pro and run it on a virtual machine program called VMware. It's not on the mac's already included boot camp so I can run both OS'es at the same time.

The problem I'm having currently, though, is getting games to work on it. The macbook has the necessary video card to be capable of running the games, so that isn't a problem. But when trying to run a game on the Windows OS, it says it doesn't meet the minimum requirements.

I was told that I could use the MACos X install disc would work on installing the necessary drivers...but all I get is a prompt to 'remote install mac os x'

Anyone got any ideas?

BdVvFJu.jpg
hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
Muggins on

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What is the RAM requirement for the game? It could be the VM isn't allocated enough resources for the game to work. Or it could be that it has plenty, but due to the VM setup, it isn't detecting them correctly, much like how some older games from the Windows 95 era don't see amounts of memory larger than 1GB during setup.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Trifecta of failure, you're trying to game in a virtual OS on OSX on Apple hardware. :P

VMWare supports limited levels of 3D acceleration, and IIRC it has zero pixel shader support. Which means you'll be running DX7 era games at best.

If you're going to play games, use Boot Camp.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, VMWare Fusion is okay for running Outlook and stuff like that (I use it at work - it's even okay for Visual Studio), but it is horrible for graphics apps. Boot Camp all the way.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ah I see. Well in that case. How can I remove it all so I can then put it through boot camp?

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Veretas wrote: »
    Ah I see. Well in that case. How can I remove it all so I can then put it through boot camp?

Just delete the vmware image. :)

Doc on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    i think with vmware you can install windows from that image, but i may be mistaken, its been a while since i read the instructions

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Doc wrote: »

Doc, you glorious bastard... How do I do this? I'm sorry if it seems like I'm asking to you do it for me...but I honestly don't know how to completely uninstall both VMware and Windows.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Doc wrote: »

Doc, you glorious bastard... How do I do this? I'm sorry if it seems like I'm asking to you do it for me...but I honestly don't know how to completely uninstall both VMware and Windows.

Your whole vmware windows install is just one file on your hard drive somewhere. After you get rid of that, hit cmd-space and type "uninstall vmware," and the uninstaller should show up.

Bing, bang, boom.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Doc I'm afraid I don't have any money to pay you. I'm a college student.

Do you accept sexual favors y/n?

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg