As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

my i7 is overheating

DonaldRumsfeldDonaldRumsfeld Registered User regular
whenever I run a game the processors all reach 80 or 90 C before the computer crashes. after installing core temp and turning off cpu fan trottle control in the BIOS so the fan was always at 1oo%(atleast i hope thats how you do it) it now idles at the desktop at around 56 C and games still crash it but its slightly cooler

so what the hell should I do now?

edit: I'm using win 7 and two gtx 260s with this

111111A.png
DonaldRumsfeld on

• Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I would guess your heatsink isn't on probably.

Actually, I'm pretty sure this is the case. Just re-apply some thermal compound and reinstall the heatsink.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    DonaldRumsfeldDonaldRumsfeld Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I would guess your heatsink isn't on probably.

Actually, I'm pretty sure this is the case. Just re-apply some thermal compound and reinstall the heatsink.
    you are correct

I touched the heatsink and it wasnt hot which means I'm retarded

DonaldRumsfeld on
    111111A.png
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    but who the fuck is that robot in your sig did you make it

Obs on
  • Options
    fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Also, every build guide I've seen has stated that the stock hsf with the i7 is underspec'd and should be replaced with a better one.

fshavlak on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    fshavlak wrote: »
    Also, every build guide I've seen has stated that the stock hsf with the i7 is underspec'd and should be replaced with a better one.

if you don't OC it's fine, but as soon as I tried any OC on mine the temps got out of control.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Obs wrote: »

Johnny 5 from Short Circuit, duh!

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Obs wrote: »

Johnny 5 from Short Circuit, duh!

Yeah, how the hell do you not know Johnny 5? Your parents need to learn to teach you culture, shit.

HEY LASER LIPS, YER MOTHER WAS A SNOWBLOWER!!!

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    lilBlilB Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

My buddy just built a PC with an I7 and can confirm this. Apparently when given a workload the CPU would underclock itself as soon as it reached critical temperature, even at the default clock speed. He could not run the CPU full speed with the stock fan. Now he is using water cooling with a pair of Volkswagen oil coolers. That seems to have fixed it.

lilB on
  • Options
    fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    lilB wrote: »

My buddy just built a PC with an I7 and can confirm this. Apparently when given a workload the CPU would underclock itself as soon as it reached critical temperature, even at the default clock speed. He could not run the CPU full speed with the stock fan. Now he is using water cooling with a pair of Volkswagen oil coolers. That seems to have fixed it.

Car parts in a computer? Classy. Haha, I bet that was fun to put together.

fshavlak on