As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Burnout + Mad Max + Twister = Fuel?

DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Games and Technology
fuel_gameinfo.jpg

So apparently this game is coming out on the 30th and a quick search didn't turn up anything, so let's discuss!

First off, what is Fuel? That's a good question. Let's ask wikerpedia.
Fuel is a racing game currently in development by Asobo Studio, published by Codemasters, due for release in 2009 on Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360[1]

It is planned to be an open world racing game, set in a post-apocalyptic world ravaged by global warming, with players experiencing varying weather effects such as tornadoes and sandstorms and a full day-night cycle. The game world is said to be over 5,000 square miles (14,000 km²) in size and be completely free to roam. Developers have said the game will feature no loading times while racing from one point to another. The players get to choose from 70 different vehicles across 6 different classes, Bikes, ATVs, Muscle cars, SUVs, Buggies and Trucks as well as a hovercraft.

Fuel evolved from a game Asobo Studio announced in 2005, called Grand Raid Offroad.

I really dig the premise. We've fucked up our environment so badly that huge storms have destroyed most of civilization. In typical human fashion, instead of changing our ways we use the opportunity to roar around in our souped up monster trucks and dune buggies. When life gives you lemons...

Videos and screens? Sure!

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/49047.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/47507.html

FUEL-Game.jpg

md_40429.jpg

From what I've seen so far I am very cautiously optimistic about the game. The ability to place your own checkpoints anywhere should make for some awesome races and the variety of vehicles looks insane. I am digging the style as well.

A few things are bothering me though. Graphically the game doesn't look too polished. The weather effects look very good, but the vehicles themselves don't seem that detailed. It's hard to tell from the trailers but they don't seem to have too much damage modeling either. Again it's tough to say judging by the trailers but the framerate seems less than stellar in places. The music is also pretty terrible but then again so was Burnout paradise's aside from the title track.

I am predicting it will be mediocre at worst and very good at best. I'm probably going to buy it regardless and play the shit out of it as I did with Flatout 2.

sig2-2.jpg
Dangerous on

• Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, this game looks hawt.

LewieP on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It looks like they're jumping on to the Motorstorm bandwagon but hell... i think this looks like more fun so I'm game for it.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    so....what exactly is the point? Ripping around all Mad Max is awesome and all, but what's the actual structure of the game? Races, missions, both?

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    14k km^2 of free roam as long as you stay on their roads is more what it looks like.

stigweard on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    so....what exactly is the point? Ripping around all Mad Max is awesome and all, but what's the actual structure of the game? Races, missions, both?

Looks like its races/ speed trials- maybe like their structure for DIRT?

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    edited May 2009
    The events trailer shows most of them. Checkpoint races, circuits, chopper chase, blitz which I am assuming is a burnout style race where you try to take out the other drivers.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm seeing this as FlatOut with Burnout Paradise.. which means it's a must-buy.

Been waiting for it since it was first announced.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    btw, is it possible to release a racing game on the 360 now with a name that isn't 4 letters?

LewieP on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The bloke in the banner certainly has a huge, gnarly areola. Count me potentially interested in this.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    LewieP wrote: »
    btw, is it possible to release a racing game on the 360 now with a name that isn't 4 letters?

As you might have noticed, it's more of a codemasters thing. Dirt, grid, fuel, etc. :P

I see this being like Flatout in that it will probably be dismissed by a lot of people as a poor man's Motorstorm knockoff, which may be partially true but it's also pretty unique and might be a lot of fun. Any game where you can race a monster truck against a hovercraft deserves a chance in my book.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Pure

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I just put down my pre-order today along with Ghostbusters for 360. Apparently my local EB isn't getting it until the 3rd. :(

A new video went up yesterday with some behind the scenes interviews as well as a lot of landscape footage. Looking pretty awesome so far.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/49597.html

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is this that game that went down in the guiness book of world records for having the largest open area out of any video game developed?

Still looks neat, I'll prob rent but maybe buy, I do need a new racer

Dixon on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    ...tornadoes?

I'm there.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Kotaku is saying that the game just got delayed a week, that kinda blows. It's due out on the 5th of june now

Dixon on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Well that's shitty. I've been waiting since RE 5 for something new to play on my 360. I guess I can wait a little longer.

I'm curious to see how the online will be set up. I hope it's something like burnout paradise, though it will probably be limited to certain zones. It would suck to have everyone driving around aimlessly trying to get to each other in such a big game world.

I recall hearing that in an MP race you all have to pick the same class of vehicle, which sucks so I hope it isn't true.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I like how they claim importing terrain data from existing databases saved them sooo much space.

Yeah, good on you guys, you store the entire game as a greyscale heightmap which you generated from publicly available sources. No one's ever done that before!

xzzy on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Every day for the last month, I've been waiting for this thread.

I'm kinda wary on the game, but I'll buy it if the reviews are good. :)

Edit: I like the theme song, cause of the contrast between it and the wasteland.

Turkey on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    xzzy wrote: »
    I like how they claim importing terrain data from existing databases saved them sooo much space.

Yeah, good on you guys, you store the entire game as a greyscale heightmap which you generated from publicly available sources. No one's ever done that before!

I laughed at that part. "If we'd created it conventionally it would have taken 5 up Blu-Rays!" I can't help but think the 5 years they spent "developing" this new technology might have been better spent polishing the game in other ways.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I can't see the videos because I'm at work, but is anyone getting a Motorstorm PR vibe from them? Please let it be so! Open-world Motorstorm PR would be sweet!

e: Jesus I just saw that this game is coming out on the 26th in the US, 3rd in AU and 4th in UK... How did I not see this game for so long!? I barely have to wait at all to get it woooo :D

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    TeeMan wrote: »
    I can't see the videos because I'm at work, but is anyone getting a Motorstorm PR vibe from them? Please let it be so! Open-world Motorstorm PR would be sweet!

e: Jesus I just saw that this game is coming out on the 26th in the US, 3rd in AU and 4th in UK... How did I not see this game for so long!? I barely have to wait at all to get it woooo :D

They were smart and kept it under wraps till just a few months ago.

Turkey on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It's just strange that there's almost zero hype for something that, by the looks of it, could be a superior off-road version of Burnout Paradise

Here's an IGN Preview that I found to be pretty good reading.
    IGN.com wrote:
    Big and Beautiful
    Starting points for races and challenges litter each Zone map (more on that in a sec), and you can either choose to drive to them (which is a breeze thanks to the game's optional GPS system) or hop straight to the race from the pause menu.

Zoning Out
    Now, you might think that each Zone would represent a different type of terrain, but that's not the case – each Zone is so large that it has a wide variety of terrains within it. You might find rolling plains to blaze across, precipitous, winding mountain roads, a forest gutted by fire, a huge lake and more, all within the one Zone. Hell, the first time we did the Endurance race type, which is comprised of point A to point B races, saw us race 18 kilometres as the crow flies, and that only covered a small section of the second Zone

I also read that races and such are limited to one class of vehicle, as opposed to Motorstorm which has stacks. But I actually think this is a good choice, with Motorstorm just about every vehicle, given enough player skill, can win any race because different routes favour different vehicles. But in a game where you can start and end a race anywhere for up to 150km in length, that just wouldn't be possible and the balance would be thrown out the window.

If this game feels and looks similar to MPR, its just shot to the top of my Most Wanted list in a HUGE way.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm normally not interested in racing games, but driving through tornados? Sold.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    That article was a very good read. I've gone from cautiously optimistic to pretty damn pumped for this game. The optional GPS arrows sound like a great idea and it's something I would have loved in Paradise. Trying to read a minimap while racing isn't much fun.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Doesn't this sound like Test Drive:Unlimited to the power or two? I'm excited just for that reason.

Entriech on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Dug up some details on the multiplayer front.
    In multiplayer Free Ride, the nearest 16 online players are connected together to create a busy world where gamers can explore together, seek-out collectibles and enjoy ad hoc races. The race editor allows almost limitless opportunities to create new and unique races set anywhere in FUEL's beautiful and huge world and play them online.

Just excited that you're able to upload your unique races (I'm thinking checkpoint style) with significantly more depth than what Paradise managed.

I think I need to bring out my keyboard dust-protector to stop all the drool from damaging it.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    That sounds like a very good way to set up free rides. That's the first I have heard about collectables though. I was kinda wondering how the thousands of km of terrain would work out without a big incentive to explore it. If you can find some cool upgrades for your vehicle or gear for your rider I think that would provide a nice incentive to explore every corner of the map.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    At 14,000sq km of drivable terrain, Fuel is officially the largest console game ever created.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So apparently the game is out today, and getting less than stellar reviews. IGN posted a 5.1 and I think the top review I've seen so far is an 8.0

Not that I put too much stock in the numbers anyway. Most of what IGN disliked about it I was already aware of. A huge world without much incentive to explore, some annoying AI and the sound isn't great. I'm still going to buy it since I am so hard up for an arcadey off-road racer at the moment. Shame that it didn't live up to it's potential though.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    GameTrailers viewers are putting it up at 8.8 right now. Pretty useless though because most of the votes are made by people who don't even have the game yet.

My concern is it doesn't seem to have much of a damage model. I was under the impression that was required behavior these days, but none of the trailers are showing much smashing going on.

xzzy on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    66 on Metacritic. Aw. I'll wait for some PA opinions if anyone gets the game.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    From the various reviews I've read, this doesn't seem like the open-world version of Motorstorm racing I was hoping for. Probably the final point in the IGN review hit the hardest;
    IGN.com wrote:
    One thing that really bugs me about the races is that even though they'll say that it's a bike or buggy race, you can't choose from all of the vehicles you own in that class. Some are better at off-road racing than others, which in some cases would allow you the ability to cut across the land and skip the road. So instead of setting up rails along the road or designing the race so that the outer terrain was treacherous, the game simply limits you to the vehicles that are bad at off-road racing in certain races, or vice-versa, depending on what they want you to do.

Why even bother having different vehicles in the same class then? I've also read that the surrounding environment is notoriously indestructable (shrubs stopping monster trucks, for example).

Think I'll hire it first but I'm not holding my breath anymore... :(

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I picked this game up on my way home from work today and I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit. IGN's score is full of shit. I'd rate it 7.7 or 7.8 easily. It's not a perfect game by any means but it's still a lot of fun. Definitely satisfies my craving for an arcadey off-road racer.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This game has so much potential because of the size and variety of the world but the physics are stupifying and the race modes are uninspired. It really feels like they spent 99% of their time developing the world then threw some lousy physics, no damage model and unimaginative game mechanics on top at the last minute.

I tried driving to the top of Rainier peak just to barrel down it. In the 30-odd minutes it took me to drive up I imagined getting to the top and slowly edging over the other side and desperately slamming the brakes as my buggy accelerated down the mountain at 200+mph, slowly disintegrating the whole way down. I was sorely disappointed when I found that my buggy can still only go 94mph even when it's careening down the side of a several-thousand-foot-high peak on a 45% slope.

I would honestly have a lot more fun with this game if it just had realistic physics, one truck and zero race modes. I would just drive around and explore (and hopefully achieve my goal of breaking the sound barrier on the decent from Rainier summit).

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I am so glad I didn't get this. But then getting Soldier of fortune Payback wasn't any good at all so I guess I came off worse.

Big Classy on