Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Link to the Past: Dad's Turntable

Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
For my dad's birthday, my mom and I decided to dig up his old record player, receiver and speakers so he could spin a few records at the party. The system hasn't been used in years, and I have no clue how old it actually is (anywhere from the 70's to 80's). Today I hooked it all up and found that it still functions, but there are a couple kinks that I have no idea how to deal with.

The first thing I noticed was the turntable's output: two standard red/white stereo audio cables and a third with no plug (the kind you wrap around a connector). I have absolutely no clue what this is for and my google-fu is insufficient to find out. When I tried out the system without the third cable, the sound was present, but extremely quiet. So I'm leaving it in and assuming it's essential- but I'm really curious about what it is.

Now, the receiver has a bank for 3 sets of stereo input: "Phono" 1 & 2, and Aux. In addition, there are two knobs for wrapping the aformentioned third cable around, marked as left and right. For my tests, I had it connected to the left one. The auxiliary input (the one my father had been using) is ridiculously quiet, so I tried phono 1. The sound is more robust, but after I turn it up beyond a certain point, the bass seems to rapidly deepen to an unlistenable point and, oddly, remains that way even if I turn the volume back down. I need to turn the receiver off to get things back to normal.

This issue isn't a big deal since the system isn't likely to be used much, but I'd like to know if the problems are easily solvable. So:

1) What is this mystery third cable, and which knob should I be attaching it to?
2) What can I do about the overbearing bass? Is this more likely due to the aging equipment or the cables?

Torso Boy on
Rent wrote: »
So that's what having no idea what you are talking about looks like

• SaarSaar Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The third cable is the ground. There should be a screw an the back of the receiver that will have a ground symbol. Unloosen it, attach cable, tighten.

imageview.php?image=353

This will get rid of the heavy bass tone and amplify the sound.

• Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User
    edited May 2009
    Saar wrote: »
    The third cable is the ground. There should be a screw an the back of the receiver that will have a ground symbol. Unloosen it, attach cable, tighten.

imageview.php?image=353

This will get rid of the heavy bass tone and amplify the sound.
    You are a gentleman and a scholar. Or maybe just the first one. Thank you :^:

Rent wrote: »
    So that's what having no idea what you are talking about looks like