As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Going on a long drive...

LackadaisicalLackadaisical Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I've never driven for more than 4-5 consecutive hours, and in this case I'll be making a trip from Nor cal to Oregon. Google maps says it is about an 11hour 20 minute journey.

I just don't know what else I need, I'll have a map, a bottle or two of water, and I intend to take at least three breaks in driving, get out and stretch, get gas...

Am I missing anything, PA?

P.S. Getting an oil change and having my tires rotated beforehand.

It's a warm feeling when you realize that people share your views...
mrt144 wrote: »
Sandra Lee and Rachel Ray raped food.
Lackadaisical on

• Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I've never driven for more than 4-5 consecutive hours, and in this case I'll be making a trip from Nor cal to Oregon. Google maps says it is about an 11hour 20 minute journey.

I just don't know what else I need, I'll have a map, a bottle or two of water, and I intend to take at least three breaks in driving, get out and stretch, get gas...

also get your oil changed afterwards as well

pretty much just queue up some good music and get ready for a loooong drive. wear comfortable clothes like shorts as well

edit: this is usually part of the whole oil change and tire rotation but make sure the tires are also balanced and aired up (standard passenger car is usually around 29-32 psi) and check all of the liquid levels on the car

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I suggest making at least two of those three breaks a good 30-60 minutes. Eat something at a rest stop. Call a friend and have a chat. Go for a walk. Do something other than driving, because you're going to get fatigued a lot easier if you've been doing nothing but holding the wheel and staring straight ahead for 11 hours.

You'd be surprised how much sitting in a mcdonalds for 30 minutes refreshes you for another 5 hours driving stint.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    pinenut_canarypinenut_canary Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Figgy wrote: »
    I suggest making at least two of those three breaks a good 30-60 minutes. Eat something at a rest stop. Call a friend and have a chat. Go for a walk. Do something other than driving, because you're going to get fatigued a lot easier if you've been doing nothing but holding the wheel and staring straight ahead for 11 hours.

You'd be surprised how much sitting in a mcdonalds for 30 minutes refreshes you for another 5 hours driving stint.

I like this idea. I drove to California once with my mom and sister from Washington state (19 hour drive), and we took about 5 breaks altogether. 3 of those were the standard potty breaks, but two of those were getting a meal to eat or just walking around a farmer's market when the time was right. It's also nice finding a rest stop with a beautiful view and enjoying the scenery while not going ~70 mph.

pinenut_canary on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009

With the weather warming up, I'd recommend taking more than one or two bottles of water. Also, try to take more than three breaks. I'd recommend taking one at least every 1-2 hours.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    AwkAwk Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    dont rotate your tires unless they need to be

Awk on
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    On my 22 hour drive to Florida, I took along a case of Mountain Dew, very un-soothing music, and frequent (every available rest stop) breaks. Even if the breaks were only 5 minutes long to use the bathroom and stretch out, it helps keep you awake and alert.

On the 22 hour drive back, I took a massive upper body sunburn, so the pain of my seat belt kept me awake just fine.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Take some books on CD/tape. I always try to get a few Stephen King novels on CD for long trips (I've driven 24+ hours in a row sometimes) because they really seem to let me zen into driving while making the miles seem to go faster.

necroSYS on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    necroSYS wrote: »
    Take some books on CD/tape. I always try to get a few Stephen King novels on CD for long trips (I've driven 24+ hours in a row sometimes) because they really seem to let me zen into driving while making the miles seem to go faster.

I probably should have mentioned that my CD player is broken (The CD is caught in it.) It's been like that for the better part of two years.

Lackadaisical on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    You're going to want to invest in an cigarette-lighter-plug-in AC/DC converter and a boombox then.

Driving 11 hours with nothing to listen to but your own thoughts and AM radio is the doorway to madness.

necroSYS on
  • Options
    FagatronFagatron Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    As someone who has driven from Pennsylvania to Nevada in one go before (no stops other than bathroom/food/gas/etc.) I feel uniquely qualified to answer this question.

You may or may not need a lot of caffeine, I mean, it's only an 11 hour drive which really isn't too bad.

You will need food though. I don't care if you stop for it or if you eat it while you drive, but if you don't eat good quantities of food; not just some convenience store junk or snacks, but real food you will become fatigued very quickly.

Also lots of loud music. I suggest Blood Mountain by Mastadon. Listened to that turned up to 11 while driving through a flash flood in Iowa, I thought I was going to die.

Fagatron on
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    necroSYS wrote: »

Audiobooks are amazing on long drives. If you're going 11 hours, an audiobook would be just about the perfect length for that trip and they make the drive go FAST.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    tehkensaitehkensai Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Do you have an ipod? if your car has an auxiliary hookup you can spend 8 bucks or so at a radioshack for an aux cord and have that with you. I usually take a 6 hour drive down to my parents in VA from Ohio and I'm sure I would have gone insane if not for my music.

tehkensai on
    jAhPU.jpg
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    :bookmarks thread:

I may be driving from Harrisonburg-ish to St. Louis next year, which is a longer drive than in the OP, so this might be quite useful. Having a cigarette-plug in adapter with my laptop and Banshee going while driving a Prius should be fine, right?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Here's my advice from someone who has driven between Illinois and Texas in a single day several times:
    Music (and nothing too slow) is essential, as are frequent breaks. Stop every couple of hours to get out and stretch. Be sure you have something to drink, and a snack or two is good as well. Even better is to take a friend. If you feel tired/sleepy, get off the road as soon as possible. Take a quick nap if you need to (this is where a friend comes in handy! They can drive for a bit while you rest).

Also note that Google maps can be pretty pessimistic on their travel time estimates (They have told me several times that a three hour trip will take four), so it might not end up taking you 11 hours.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Fagatron wrote: »
    As someone who has driven from Pennsylvania to Nevada in one go before (no stops other than bathroom/food/gas/etc.) I feel uniquely qualified to answer this question.

You may or may not need a lot of caffeine, I mean, it's only an 11 hour drive which really isn't too bad.

You will need food though. I don't care if you stop for it or if you eat it while you drive, but if you don't eat good quantities of food; not just some convenience store junk or snacks, but real food you will become fatigued very quickly.

Also lots of loud music. I suggest Blood Mountain by Mastadon. Listened to that turned up to 11 while driving through a flash flood in Iowa, I thought I was going to die.

I recently listened to Leviathan during a torrential downpour in Jersey. Good times.

I drove a U-Haul towing a car from Florida to Jersey a few years ago, and what everyone else says seems right on the mark to me. Make sure you take a break every hour or two, and every 4-5 hours you should stop to eat a meal or walk around for 30-60 minutes.

Also, do not feel like you "have" to keep going if you get too tired to keep your eyes open. It's better to lose a couple of hours of time due to sleep than to endanger yourself and others because you drove while tired.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I've done some pretty good hauls and the worst, imo, was when I took a truck without radio from Dallas to Denver in one go. I started singing to myself, then talking to myself, then I sat quiet for the remaining 10 hours.

Honestly, if you are into cars, you may end up entertaining yourself. I'd start trying to predict where I'd see troopers, tactics for speeding "safely," even how I would react if I ran into "The Hills Have Eyes" country.

tldr; Make sure you have music.

1ddqd on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Also note that Google maps can be pretty pessimistic on their travel time estimates (They have told me several times that a three hour trip will take four), so it might not end up taking you 11 hours.

That's simply because they calculate travel time based on posted speed limits.

No one drives the posted speed limit, especially on major highways.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    :bookmarks thread:

I may be driving from Harrisonburg-ish to St. Louis next year, which is a longer drive than in the OP, so this might be quite useful. Having a cigarette-plug in adapter with my laptop and Banshee going while driving a Prius should be fine, right?
    Picking up a 12v - 120v cigarette adapter is a better deal honestly. You get a regular outlet in your car that you can plug anything into, instead of needing to buy unique cigarette adapters for each device you want to plug in.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Unfortunately, I already bought the adapter, but it's a universal one with 8 different jacks. Won't help for stuff that has a built-in cord, but...

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Also, do not feel like you "have" to keep going if you get too tired to keep your eyes open. It's better to lose a couple of hours of time due to sleep than to endanger yourself and others because you drove while tired.

This and this again. I've had trouble telling myself to take a break sometimes (but it's only 2 more hours of driving! I only have 30 more exits to go! I can push through! Etc. etc.)...but really, it's the best idea if you're getting that tired.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    capnricocapnrico Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Figgy wrote: »

I like this idea. I drove to California once with my mom and sister from Washington state (19 hour drive), and we took about 5 breaks altogether. 3 of those were the standard potty breaks, but two of those were getting a meal to eat or just walking around a farmer's market when the time was right. It's also nice finding a rest stop with a beautiful view and enjoying the scenery while not going ~70 mph.

There's a beautiful rest stop (as bizarre as that sounds) in Shasta, right as you get toward the top of the mountain. Great place to take a break, and I almost always make it a point to stop there when driving north through California.

Satellite radio is another decent option if your CD player is broken.

I actually avoid books on tape because they put me to sleep, so that's something where you just have to know yourself.

If you get to a point where you need to sleep for a few hours, don't go out in the middle of nowhere. I usually park in front of a Dennys or something that's open 24 hours. Be visible enough for someone to notice if something is going down but not obnoxious so that you get the cops called on you.

Dress comfortably (that includes shoes), and have fun. A long drive by yourself can be an awesome time.

capnrico on
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    BYToady wrote: »

On the 22 hour drive back, I took a massive upper body sunburn, so the pain of my seat belt kept me awake just fine.

SUNSCREEN. Apply before you leave and maybe once more during the day. If you are traveling in one general direction, the sun is going to beat down on the same part of your body for the whole trip.

Gilbert0 on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I probably should have mentioned that my CD player is broken (The CD is caught in it.) It's been like that for the better part of two years.

does the radio work? if so, buy a good FM transmitter, and use it with your mp3 player (i assume you have one... since, well, everyone has one :D ) a bonus will be that it'll be a good addition for regular driving around after the trip

illig on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I don't know where you're going in oregon, but unless you're going to the waaaaay eastern part it's hard to see it taking eleven hours to get somewhere from norcal.

There are a lot of stops along I-5, and some of them (like shasta) are actually really pretty. Just stop frequently (like, every couple hours) to piss/stretch/etc and you should make it without any trouble.

A good trick is to have something else to focus on (aside from the road), whether it's music or the license plate game or something. Most people focus better on one thing while something else is going on in the background; this is something that will really help stave off fatigue.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    Holy crap cars have plug adapters?

I always just assumed that any electronic device sold without a car adapter meant you were borked.

I am astounded. You can charge a laptop while driving?

Wow.

Organichu on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Organichu wrote: »

I always just assumed that any electronic device sold without a car adapter meant you were borked.

Wow.
    Yep. The one I have I got at Target, it was $20 I believe. They have them with multiple plugs too. A friend of mine use to take his TV and PSOne on family trips and play them in their van.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    I don't know where you're going in oregon, but unless you're going to the waaaaay eastern part it's hard to see it taking eleven hours to get somewhere from norcal.

There are a lot of stops along I-5, and some of them (like shasta) are actually really pretty. Just stop frequently (like, every couple hours) to piss/stretch/etc and you should make it without any trouble.

A good trick is to have something else to focus on (aside from the road), whether it's music or the license plate game or something. Most people focus better on one thing while something else is going on in the background; this is something that will really help stave off fatigue.

I'm going to Wallowa, on the far North-Eastern end of the state. That's precisely why it'll be such a long drive.

Lackadaisical on
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Organichu wrote: »

Wow.

Isn't it a wonderful feeling :)

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    Torque MonkeyTorque Monkey Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My girlfriend and I are driving to Maine in a few days from southern indiana and so this thread has been very helpful guys, thank you for all the suggestions!

Torque Monkey on
    Gojira2.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I'm going to Wallowa, on the far North-Eastern end of the state. That's precisely why it'll be such a long drive.

huh, I'm pretty sure I had a buddy in undergrad is who was from wallowa. Statistically, that means there's like a one in four chance you are him!

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited May 2009

huh, I'm pretty sure I had a buddy in undergrad is who was from wallowa. Statistically, that means there's like a one in four chance you are him!

Nah, just visiting a friend. When I went to undergrad I didn't make friends and...it didn't go so well.

Lackadaisical on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Heh, sounds like the three guys I went to college with...all from Ketchikan Island, Alaska.

necroSYS on
  • Options
    Teslan26Teslan26 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Plan it.

Genrally at the levels you talk about I would want to do the last 30% or more solidly, get it over with. Where as at the beginning I would stop quite often, every couple of hours at least.

The more fluids you drink, the more stops you'll make to pee. So again, drink lots early on and cut down at half way.

Don't have caffeine early on. You'll get a low and that sucks. Depends on metabolism, ymmv.

If there are beauty spots, with facilities, go there. Take 15 minutes, some photos, and a pee.

If there is space in the car, take everything you need/might need with you. Food, cool drinks, emergency gear and whatever. Have all your breakdown/insurance details readily available. Ideally a copy in your wallet and one in the car. You should only ever be missing one of the two at once.

Music is king. For me at least. Singing along keeps my mind more active and I enjoy it too.

Finally.

If you are struggling to focus or concentrate and your eyes are sore/heavy lidded - pull off, sleep. It is safer and cheaper. Better late than dead on time.

Teslan26 on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I recently listened to Leviathan during a torrential downpour in Jersey. Good times.

She has the keys to my heart, and it's Georgia-bred metal.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Bring more water than you think you'll need. If you haven't already, join AAA...hell, that's just good advice for anyone who drives at all. Wear sunscreen, especially if you'll have the window open. Bring some fruit, bananas are probably a good choice.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Teslan26 wrote: »
    The more fluids you drink, the more stops you'll make to pee. So again, drink lots early on and cut down at half way.
    if you're insane like me you manipulate your body's metabolism. basically what i do is drink small amounts of water and then burn it off leading up to the trip so your body learns to store water, and then you can have quite a bit without having to go so soon. i do this with food as well

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'd bring more than two bottles of water.

I would recommend getting some gum to chew on to keep yourself from drowsing off.

Pillows are good to sit on because unless your seats are nice, that car seat is going to get old after a few hours.

Dunno what you're going to eat, but some chips and a few turkey sandwiches do the trick for me.

Drive in the daytime if you can. Nighttime = snoozefest + lots of semi trucks.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This may be slightly dangerous, but it's kept me entertained many a time on 4+ hour drives.

On highways I'll set my cruise control to about 5 above the speed limit (or set it to the speed limit depending on how heavy the traffic is), and I'll see how long I can go without touching the gas or the breaks. Basically you want to stay locked into cruise control for as long as possible. Safely of course.

As long as you don't drive like an ass it'll serve two purposes. It's pretty entertaining, and it makes you extremely aware of you and the cars around you.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Jokerman wrote: »

She has the keys to my heart, and it's Georgia-bred metal.

I really hate to disappoint you, but I'm a guy. I'm a really effeminate guy, but I've still got boy parts.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Teslan26 wrote: »
    If you are struggling to focus or concentrate and your eyes are sore/heavy lidded - pull off, sleep. It is safer and cheaper. Better late than dead on time.
    And if you crash you still won't get there on time.

Captain Carrot on