As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So the microwave, when open, starts well... microwaving

THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny.Real shiny.Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
That's right. When the Microwave door opens the microwave STARTS I have never heard of this before I saw it with my own two eyes.

I unplugged it and it's currently sitting in my kitchen.

I don't know about you but I might just buy a new one, unless I can fix it myself.

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
THEPAIN73 on

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2009
    Does it run with the door closed too?

Typically they have a sensor/lever in the door latch that detects whether it's closed or not. It might have gotten stuck.

Echo on
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Could a microwave running with the door open be dangerous?

I'm not one of those guys who covers my jewels up when I'm microwaving a hotdog, but I'm absolutely ignorant of the mechanics of the whole thing.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    Does it run with the door closed too?

Typically they have a sensor/lever in the door latch that detects whether it's closed or not. It might have gotten stuck.

No it doesn't. When it's closed it just looks normal. When the door is open you can feel the heat from it and the glass spins.

The time doesn't even need to be on.

THEPAIN73 on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Just don't microwave stuff with it open?

Daxon on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This is a problem that is probably best solved in buying a new one. Microwaves are cheap.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    Josiah_9Josiah_9 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The door switch is either bad or shorted, you can fix it yourself depending on how handy you are. It is probably just a snap in part, but you will need to take the cover off to get to it. I don't know how comfortable you are with that. like some one else said counter top microwaves are pretty cheap anymore.

Josiah_9 on
    Saturate.jpg
  • Options
    UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Daxon wrote: »
    Just don't microwave stuff with it open?

Sounds like it turns on by itself the moment the door is opened.

Return it and get a working one.

Underdog on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is it by any chance a GE? Because there's a potential class-action lawsuit in the works against them for their faulty and dangerous microwaves, maybe you could get in on it. Details:

http://www.bringgoodthingstolife.org/

Peen on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You know, it's pretty fucked up when the first thing you think of is "oh something broke in my home = lawsuit".

So retarded.

Daxon on
  • Options
    DarwinsFavoriteTortoiseDarwinsFavoriteTortoise Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is it by any chance a GE? Because there's a potential class-action lawsuit in the works against them for their faulty and dangerous microwaves, maybe you could get in on it. Details:

That really is pathetic.

A slight malfunction = SUE SUE SUE!

DarwinsFavoriteTortoise on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

That really is pathetic.

perhaps you missed the part where it said
    smoke
    sparks
    arcing
    burning smell
    flames
    fires
    injuries
    property damage
    pet deaths

But yeah, I mean, who would sue over something as petty as having your house burnt down. :whistle:

For the op, I'd say if you are comfortable around electronics and know how to not get electrocuted, give it a whirl and try to fix it. Worse thing is you damage it or something and end up having to buy a new one anyway.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    DarwinsFavoriteTortoiseDarwinsFavoriteTortoise Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Buttcleft wrote: »

That really is pathetic.

smoke
    sparks
    arcing
    burning smell
    flames
    fires
    injuries
    property damage
    pet deaths

But yeah, I mean, who would sue over something as petty as having your house burnt down. :whistle:

For the op, I'd say if you are comfortable around electronics and know how to not get electrocuted, give it a whirl and try to fix it. Worse thing is you damage it or something and end up having to buy a new one anyway.

I'm not saying the suit is wrong. If your house burns down, sure, go ahead and sue.

But I'm complaining about the fact that so far nothing bad has happened to the OP, yet a poster is advising that he "get in on that." That's not selfish to you?

DarwinsFavoriteTortoise on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Buttcleft wrote: »

That really is pathetic.

smoke
    sparks
    arcing
    burning smell
    flames
    fires
    injuries
    property damage
    pet deaths

I'm not saying the suit is wrong. If your house burns down, sure, go ahead and sue.

But I'm complaining about the fact that so far nothing bad has happened to the OP, yet a poster is advising that he "get in on that." That's not selfish to you?

not really since its a class action lawsuit against a manufacturer for a long running history of dangerious appliance faults.

It'd be different if it were a personal suit.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Thanks buttcleft. All I meant by posting that was that, if it's a GE, than the OP bought a microwave that he thought was safe but in reality might have burned his house down and GE really ought to give him a new one. The class-action suit might be the easiest way to make that happen.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    really, it would be best if GE gave money back rather than giving a (potentially also defective) replacement product.

The OP should probably just pitch the microwave and get a new one (or a toaster oven!). It *could* be fixed but I don't know that I would want to mess about with such a thing. The cost/benefit ratio is not favourable in my mind.

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Buy a new one. Don't poke around in microwaves or CRTs, unless you know *exactly* what you're doing, and even then it's not recommended. See if it's still under warranty.

evilmrhenry on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yes, microwaving with the door open is dangerous. Just grab a new one. 100% safer.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    capnricocapnrico Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Microwaves aren't something to fuck with. Even if you "fix" it, for all you know you could create (or cover up) a bigger problem and unknowingly, like, cook your nads or something every time you're near the thing. Just get a new one.

capnrico on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Thanks buttcleft. All I meant by posting that was that, if it's a GE, than the OP bought a microwave that he thought was safe but in reality might have burned his house down and GE really ought to give him a new one. The class-action suit might be the easiest way to make that happen.
    Probably easier still just to buy a new microwave. Getting money out of big corporations is generally an enormous pain in the ass.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    xa52xa52 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Buy a new one. Don't poke around in microwaves or CRTs, unless you know *exactly* what you're doing, and even then it's not recommended. See if it's still under warranty.

GIANT FUCKING CAPACITORS WILL KILL YOU.

xa52 on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What you do is make up some story about how you bought it from some shifty guy at a garage sale, it's been badluck ever since, and when you went to return it the house had disappeared.

Then you sell it on ebay for $200.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Please for the love of all that is holy do not sell a known defective microwave on ebay.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Related microwave story:

Close friends of me and my gf used a microwave in their home that had neither a glass door, or that plastic 'screen' inside. Yes, it was basically a open-sided cube that radiated all who would foolishly hang around it as it cooked your Hot Pocket, and cooked your hotdog and tatertots too. Seriously, who the hell keeps something like that around? Besides the people I knew.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Please for the love of all that is holy do not sell a known defective microwave on ebay.
    Unless he is upfront about the problem, I bet somebody out there would be like "oh hell yes" *buy now*

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    darkgruedarkgrue Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    xa52 wrote: »

GIANT FUCKING CAPACITORS WILL KILL YOU.

Seriously, this is no joke. The high-voltage power supplies of lots of equipment and consumer electronics can hold a lethal charge for quite some time after it is turned off. A microwave is one of those kinds of devices. It can kill you.

Microwave radiation is also dangerous. It cooks just as well with the door open, as closed - but the door is there to keep it from cooking you and everything else standing nearby (as well as to keep it from interfering with your cordless phones and WiFi). Don't keep using a microwave that's operating with the door open.

Chances are, the diagnosis is correct, it's likely a shorted door interlock switch. That repair could be completely safely, if done with the proper OEM parts by someone who understands what they are doing. But keep in mind that one of this thing's primary safety features failed catatrophically. Even if you fix that, it's not exactly an endorsement of this particular appliance's state of repair.

All things said, totally not worth it. Get a new micro, it's not just easier, it's far safer.

darkgrue on
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Related microwave story:

Close friends of me and my gf used a microwave in their home that had neither a glass door, or that plastic 'screen' inside. Yes, it was basically a open-sided cube that radiated all who would foolishly hang around it as it cooked your Hot Pocket, and cooked your hotdog and tatertots too. Seriously, who the hell keeps something like that around? Besides the people I knew.

This is absolutely stupid to the point of bordering on Darwin Award worthy. Depressingly, this is what keeps very cool technologies from being available for public use - because the bottom 10% of intelligence is really pretty stupid.

The ENTIRE POINT of the mesh thing on the door of a microwave is to block microwaves (google searching indicates that the wavelengths typical of microwave ovens are in the few-10 cm range); I don't think the glass door itself actually does anything. Either way, though - that "heat" you're feeling is the heat that your microwave cooks with, which is a sign that maybe you shouldn't be feeling it.

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I got a new one thanks to my girlfriend.

Yeah I didn't feel like DYING for trying to fix a microwave.

THEPAIN73 on
  • Options
    Hamster_styleHamster_style Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Gdiguy wrote: »
    This is absolutely stupid to the point of bordering on Darwin Award worthy. Depressingly, this is what keeps very cool technologies from being available for public use - because the bottom 10% of intelligence is really pretty stupid.

The ENTIRE POINT of the mesh thing on the door of a microwave is to block microwaves (google searching indicates that the wavelengths typical of microwave ovens are in the few-10 cm range); I don't think the glass door itself actually does anything. Either way, though - that "heat" you're feeling is the heat that your microwave cooks with, which is a sign that maybe you shouldn't be feeling it.

For those that are interested, the mesh thing on the door is called a Faraday Cage, which is a pretty cool application of physics.

As to darkgrue's comment about capacitors, yes, they will kill you, but the main electrical component of microwaves is a transformer, not a capacitor as in, say, a computer power supply. Which is basically harmless when it's unplugged, since they don't store energy the way a capacitor does. I know this because I was going to make a jacob's ladder for a lab project, but it got rejected because the professor was afraid I would kill myself with two wires exposed with a bigass current and/or voltage. I needed a big transformer, and the best (cheap) way to get one was to salvage one from a microwave.

As to the guy's friends who cooked without the microwave door, that's pretty smrt. However, it's not like it's UV or gamma radiation or anything like that - these microwaves aren't powerful enough to ionize things and cause free radicals and cancer. However, they probably did lower their sperm count from raising the temperature a little bit.

tldr: at least it's not cancer! but still dumb.

Hamster_style on
  • Options
    darkgruedarkgrue Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    As to darkgrue's comment about capacitors, yes, they will kill you, but the main electrical component of microwaves is a transformer, not a capacitor as in, say, a computer power supply. Which is basically harmless when it's unplugged, since they don't store energy the way a capacitor does.

I'm sorry, but this isn't correct. Disclaimer: I am a EE, I just don't practice that disciplne professionally.

The largest component in a high-voltage power supply is almost always going to be the transformer - you might even claim it's the main component, as it's the core of the voltage conversion stage. You are correct that it's not the transformer that kills you when the power's off, it's the stored charge in the capacitor(s).

However, you are incorrect in stating that micro and computer power supplies present no hazard with the power off. Filter capacitors are standard features of power supllies - including those of microwaves AND computers. If you open the case up, some of those capacitors are pretty grunty and present a significant, if not lethal, shock hazard if you come into direct contact with them.

If you stay out of the innards of the devices, you are generally safe, and this is by design. When doing do-it-yourself repair, you're going to be breaching the case, as well as any design features that are there to keep you from coming in contact with those hazards, and it's important to know what all those risks are, and what the proper safety precautions are.

However, not all power supplies use the same design or handle the same voltages (degree of hazard varies - a 12V power supply is very low, a 110V computer power supply is more significant, and a 2.4kV micro power supply or a 10kV flyback is well into lethal), and some do have features where the capacitors have drain lines designed to siphon off the charge when the circuit is powered down to address that particular hazard. It's not a design requirement (costs extra in parts, and manufacturers will gadly save a penny or two on a product by eliminating an unecessary feature), and you don't want to bet your life that feature is there, or that it's working correctly.
    I know this because I was going to make a jacob's ladder for a lab project, but it got rejected because the professor was afraid I would kill myself with two wires exposed with a bigass current and/or voltage. I needed a big transformer, and the best (cheap) way to get one was to salvage one from a microwave.

Best way to get the necessary high-voltage component would have been to salvage a heavy tranformer-based neon sign transformer, or perhaps the flyback from a CRT television. While it can/has been done, the power supply from a micro isn't all that great for this sort of application (mostly because they're not designed to be run in series).
    As to the guy's friends who cooked without the microwave door, that's pretty smrt. However, it's not like it's UV or gamma radiation or anything like that - these microwaves aren't powerful enough to ionize things and cause free radicals and cancer. However, they probably did lower their sperm count from raising the temperature a little bit.

Just because it's not ionizing radiation doesn't mean it's safe - or funny. It's not cancer that's the safety risk.

The danger from microwave radiation is from internal heating effects. The eye is particularly sensitive to this and it doesn't take much of an increase in temperature to denature the tissue of the central nervous system. Field density and exposure time are a large factor, and since power does fall off with the square of the distance and microwaves are very directional in nature, a commerical microwave is somewhat limited in what it can deliver. However, it can be difficult for an indivdual to detect or judge their exposure, as nerve endings sensitive to heat are somewhat sparse internally. While the dangers may be overstated, it doesn't make sense to take chances.

Anyway, glad to see the OP got a new micro. :)

darkgrue on
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, the problem here is that normal heat, like for example touching the element of a stove or putting your hand in an oven, is applied to your skin and so is relatively safe. You might get a bad burn, but skin is easily repaired. Microwaves don't act like that at all. With sufficient exposure, they will cook you from the inside out, killing your organs, and you won't even feel anything.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png