As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Graphic novel recommendations?

• hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Making Comics is a pretty fantastic resource, and I think for young kids who want to make their own comics it would be invaluable. I know I wish I had it when I was thirteen.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I swear to god I'm going to read this whole thread and if nobody mentioned Kraven's Last Hunt, I'm stabbing you all in the eyes.

edit: projectmayhem saved you all.
    I do what I can.

Death of the Stacys comes out soon.

projectmayhem on
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I just finished Outlaw Nation, and I really, really like it. Buy it, borrow it, whatever you have to do, get it.

Are you a shit, or are you a Johnson?

Meissnerd on
  • HankStamperHankStamper Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    League of Extrordinay Gentlemen was a pretty good one, since you like Alan Moore. It is quite different than Moore's Watchmen or V for Vendetta, though. Think more "From Hell" (since they both take place in the Victorian Era), which I also recommend.

HankStamper on
    never give a inch
    edited January 2007
    Did anyone say Marvel Zombies?

projectmayhem on
  • TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If you're into something completely different:

Eisner's A Contract With God

Miller's Ronin, if someone hasn't already said it. Art can be a little tough to enjoy sometimes, but the whole premise is fucking badass (Samurai Jack spawned directly from the book).

Batman vs. Predator isn't actually that bad, either. Cool to see Dave Gibbons in an entirely different context than Watchmen. Surprisingly pretty, too. And, it was only six bucks when I bought it.

I liked chuck Austen's US War Machine. I always loved War Machine, and it's the only story of his I've found worth owning.

Barry Windsor-Smith's Weapon X is really freaking cool. The most serious, realistic, and definitive Wolvie story I've ever read.

If you like oldschool X-men, Claremont's TPBs of the Dark Phoenix saga and Days of Future Past go really well together and do a good job of defining a bunch of the characters (particularly Cyclops).

Swamp thing is really good, too. Check out the first one and see if it's your style. Alan Moore's style is a love/hate deal, but I think it's amazing.

Superman for all seasons is a really nice Supes origin.

Tylerbroor on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I just finished reading Batman: Year One and omg, that was pretty much the best thing I've ever read. I've also started reading Batman: The DarkKnight Returns, and omg it's super good as well.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Just finished reading Danger Girl:The Ultimate Collection, and it was awesomesauce. It was like a delicious mix of Tomb Raider, Indiana Jones, and the Roger Moore Bond movies, all with impossibly hot womens. I highly recommend it.

Next up are Kingdom Come, followed by Superman:Birthright. And since my LCS is having a 40% off sale on selected Trades, I'm going to pick up Green Lantern:Recharge, New Avengers Vol. 4 Hardcover, Nextwave Vol. 1 Hardcover, and New X-Men vol. 2.

EDIT: Scratch that. Some assholes (read: people with the good sense to reserve copies before I did) got the last copies of GL:Recharge and Nextwave. :x To soothe the hurt of losing these, I instead got Ms. Marvel Vol.1 Hardcover and Batman and the Monster Men.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm reading Watchmen right now (literally) and I'm starting to see a pattern of Alan Moore's where he points out how ridiclous super heroes are, which is interesting. I'm going to be reading Kingdom Come next.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
    edited January 2007
    I'm only about 1/4th of the way into Kingdom Come, but it seems pretty neat so far. I have to say that the art is fantastic. :^:

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    wwtMask wrote:
    I'm only about 1/4th of the way into Kingdom Come, but it seems pretty neat so far. I have to say that the art is fantastic. :^:
    It gets even better.

PiptheFair on
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    MikeRyu wrote:
    I'm reading Watchmen right now (literally) and I'm starting to see a pattern of Alan Moore's where he points out how ridiclous super heroes are, which is interesting. I'm going to be reading Kingdom Come next.

It's kind of funny- Alan Moore, when he wants to praise superheroes, produces some of the best superhero work out there. See Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? or Tom Strong.

Dex Dynamo on
    edited January 2007
    Just finished Kingdom Come last night, and it was excellent. Alex Ross's art was unbelievable. I can see why everyone seems to be in love with the book. If you don't have this or haven't read it yet, stop reading this post and go get it already.

Seriously, it was awesome. Thanks to everyone who recommended it. You're slowly curing my DC-phobia. :^:

wwtMask on
  • DakDak Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dex Dynamo wrote:
    MikeRyu wrote:

It's kind of funny- Alan Moore, when he wants to praise superheroes, produces some of the best superhero work out there. See Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? or Tom Strong.

Or Top Ten! Oh my god, why has no one mentioned TopTen?

Think Law & Order/CSI/COPS + Superheroes.

It is made of win. Also by Alan Moore.

Dak on
    GAWink.jpg
    edited January 2007
    Dak wrote:
    Dex Dynamo wrote:
    MikeRyu wrote:

What's Alan Moore doing these days, apart from living in his cave practising magic and smoking splifs the size of chair legs?

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    MikeRyu wrote:
    Dak wrote:
    Dex Dynamo wrote:
    MikeRyu wrote:

What's Alan Moore doing these days, apart from living in his cave practising magic and smoking splifs the size of chair legs?

Finishing off the next two volumes of The League... writing his second prose novel, Jerusalem, and apparently writing a massive tome on magic (which will include one-page comics of every major magician to have existed, including fictional/ mythological figures). Not to mention the occasional one-off shows he does with the Mind's Eye Theatre.

He's a busy man.

Red or Alive on
    edited January 2007
    I didn't realise that he was still doing League stuff.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Jolly-RogerJolly-Roger Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    wwtMask wrote:
    Just finished Kingdom Come last night, and it was excellent. Alex Ross's art was unbelievable. I can see why everyone seems to be in love with the book. If you don't have this or haven't read it yet, stop reading this post and go get it already.

Seriously, it was awesome. Thanks to everyone who recommended it. You're slowly curing my DC-phobia. :^:
    Did you know they made a second one called the kingdom? I havent read it yet as mine is in the mail from amazon.

Jolly-Roger on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    wwtMask wrote:

Did you know they made a second one called the kingdom? I havent read it yet as mine is in the mail from amazon.
    You poor fool.

It is not even close to being the same. Or good.

deadonthestreet on
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, Alan Moore... feels strongly about super heroes. I can't tell WHAT he feels, but it is strong.

Though it seems like he hates what superheroes became over the years mostly... at least that's what I gather.

Dex Dynamo on
  • SumalethSumaleth Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I recently re-read my gn collection so my opinions are freshly baked.

Top of the list for me is WATCHMEN.

Second would be GHOST IN THE SHELL (volume 1, manga). A great mix of elements that I love.

Third, hmm, perhaps KINGDOM COME. Really anything with Alex Ross' involvement is worth a read, but KC is unarguably the best of the set.

And I'll mention THE MAXX (volume 1) to round off my top four. Fun stuff, and absolutely freakin crazy.

DARK KNIGHT RETURNS is a must read too, though not as high on my list as it would be for people who, you know, aren't me.

--

With xmas money I went Alan Moore shopping, or more accurately shopping for more Alan Moore books.

I highly recommend TOM STRONG. Just such wholesome fun.

I also picked up SUPREME (volume 1), which so far seems like a testing ground for all the cool ideas that were later boiled down into TOM STRONG. The art's not so good, but it's an interesting read after TS.

What else? Oh, the two TOP 10 books. Both a lot of fun. Highly imaginative. SMAX, T10 spin-off #1, was hilarious. THE 49'ERS, T10 spin-off #2, wasn't as strong as its forefathers for me, though had its moments.

THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN, volumes 1 and 2: vol 1 was okay, vol 2 was brilliant.

SWAMP THING (volume 1) isn't really my thing, though I got a whiff of its appeal.

That'll do. I'll definitely be getting more TOM STRONG.

Sumaleth on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Allow me to second Death Note. It's so amazing it should be marketed as a drug.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Lost in Graphic Novel/TPB land.

Okay so i've recently read Sandman and i'm having a hard time topping that. I tried DKR..tried Kingdom Come..Watchmen..

I'm not sure where to turn. Sandman was truly immense. I was captivated. Can anyone point me in the direction of where I should go next?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Lost in Graphic Novel/TPB land.

Okay so i've recently read Sandman and i'm having a hard time topping that. I tried DKR..tried Kingdom Come..Watchmen..

I'm not sure where to turn. Sandman was truly immense. I was captivated. Can anyone point me in the direction of where I should go next?

Read Watchmen again. Clearly you didn't do it right the first time.

As far as runs go, I have to suggest Grant Morrison's run on Animal Man, conveniently collected in three volumes. It starts off a little slow, with slightly more generic superhero work, but very quickly becomes something entirely different and amazing.

Also, the standard recommendation of "New Frontier". It's pretty amazing.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I just finished Volume 1 of DC New Frontier last night, and I can attest to it's amazingness. In my opinion, it's better than Kingdom Come and Dark Knight Returns. It stands on equal footing with Watchmen as the greatest superhero comics story of all time, in my eyes.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If you liked Sandman, try Lucifer.

Scooter on
  • DraXXXenDraXXXen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    While at my usual comic store with my brother, there for warhammer40k, he saw a few Batman/Superman toys based on 'Red Son' and it got him drooling. So naturally as to expose more people to the goodness of comics I picked up the TPB of Red Son for him.

An Amazing read. This is, by far IMO, the most perfect 'What if.../elseworld' story ever made. They cover a great time span in such a small book, and show the characters in a new light while retaining the characteristics that everyone is familiar with. Also an ending that will make you do a double take...awesome (won't attempt to spoil it as I am still a jailed comic junkie and can't use the spoiler tag...oh when will the hurting stop?).

DraXXXen on
    donutMachine.jpg
  • CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    DraXXXen wrote:
    While at my usual comic store with my brother, there for warhammer40k, he saw a few Batman/Superman toys based on 'Red Son' and it got him drooling. So naturally as to expose more people to the goodness of comics I picked up the TPB of Red Son for him.

An Amazing read. This is, by far IMO, the most perfect 'What if.../elseworld' story ever made. They cover a great time span in such a small book, and show the characters in a new light while retaining the characteristics that everyone is familiar with. Also an ending that will make you do a double take...awesome (won't attempt to spoil it as I am still a jailed comic junkie and can't use the spoiler tag...oh when will the hurting stop?).

[realspoiler:b2f5cac76d]Why don't you put the whole world in a bottle?[/realspoiler:b2f5cac76d]

It's just a perfect moment, considering everything that was built up to get you there.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • BruanBruan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I would like to recommend Robert Kirkman's Invincible. It is a very nice series.

Bruan on
    Playstation: Anthai (Destiny)
    WiiU: jooncole (Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate)
    3DS: 2122-5983-8919
  • mattmatt Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    i picked up the allan moore dc universe collection yesterday and its great. has a big mix of all his dc character comics from the 80's and its got the killing joke aswell, and as far as i know thats been out of print for ages so its worth the price of the book for that story alone.

matt on
  • CaptainApocalypseCaptainApocalypse Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The Walking Dead is an amazing collection of undead goodness. The first four volumes rock, and the fifth is meh. Also, get DC: The New Frontier. 8)

CaptainApocalypse on
    SO FATE DEMANDS!
  • BruanBruan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The Walking Dead is an amazing collection of undead goodness. The first four volumes rock, and the fifth is meh. Also, get DC: The New Frontier. 8)

hell yes. well, at least about the walking dead. that's what got me into comics in the first place.

Bruan on
    Playstation: Anthai (Destiny)
    WiiU: jooncole (Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate)
    3DS: 2122-5983-8919
  • DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have picked up:

DC: The New Frontier Volume 1
    Kingdom Come
    JLA: Year One
    Battle Pope Volume 1

all in the last 3 days.

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
    edited January 2007
    Superman For Tomorrow Vol. 1 and 2.

projectmayhem on
  • hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    American Born Chinese is better than any other suggestion made in this thread by about a thousand times.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Unless you hate Chinese people or otherwise cannot relate in the slightest.

robosagogo on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I really liked American Born Chinese, but I thought it kind of fell apart at the very end. It just seemed kind of rushed and I felt like it tried to hit me over the head with the moral.

Munch on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Bruan wrote:
    I would like to recommend Robert Kirkman's Invincible. It is a very nice series.

If by very nice, you mean a nigh on perfect example of the superhero genre, then yes, yes it is very nice.

werehippy on
  • vicevice Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I would like to recommand Ann Rice's Vampire Lestat. I know its not graphic novelish, but I think anyone would do betetr just picking one of these up and reading the book. It is just muchbetter than any of the silly fantasy super things people post up here. I think its beautiful and a must read for everyone.

vice on