As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Graphic novel recommendations?

• Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'd like to recommend the Bible. It's not just the "good book". It's the BEST book.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    robosagogo wrote:
    I'd like to recommend the Bible. It's not just the "good book". It's the BEST book.

Actually, is there a good graphic novel treatment of that? It might be kinda neat.

Pb on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    vice wrote:
    I would like to recommand Ann Rice's Vampire Lestat. I know its not graphic novelish, but I think anyone would do betetr just picking one of these up and reading the book. It is just muchbetter than any of the silly fantasy super things people post up here. I think its beautiful and a must read for everyone.

Yeah because this is a rational post. "I'm going to post about something which isn't relevant to the topic and say that it's much better than everything seven pages of posters are interested in here, because that's not a dick thing to do at all!"

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Pb wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

Actually, is there a good graphic novel treatment of that? It might be kinda neat.
    There is a Mike Allred adaptation of the Book of Mormon that is Way Radical, because Allred could draw anything and it would look amazing.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    hughtron wrote:
    Pb wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

There is a Mike Allred adaptation of the Book of Mormon that is Way Radical, because Allred could draw anything and it would look amazing.
    Yessir!

No good graphic novel treatments of the Christian Bible that I know of, though. I suppose there are always Chick tracts...

robosagogo on
  • Options
    BruanBruan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think calling the Chick tracts Biblical might be close to blasphemy :P

In any case, somebody should make an OP/thread about recommended graphic novels and independents, like a collection of awesome. or something.

Bruan on
    Playstation: Anthai (Destiny)
    WiiU: jooncole (Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate)
    3DS: 2122-5983-8919
  • Options
    WidepathWidepath Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    When i was in Japan i picked up a manga new testament. How i found myself in a Christian book store in Japan is another story.

Widepath on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    vice wrote:
    I would like to recommand Ann Rice's Vampire Lestat. I know its not graphic novelish, but I think anyone would do betetr just picking one of these up and reading the book. It is just muchbetter than any of the silly fantasy super things people post up here. I think its beautiful and a must read for everyone.

take my frilly shirted fruity vampire friends seriously as literature, yall!

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pb wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

battlepope2.jpg

Accualt on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Servo wrote:
    vice wrote:

To be fair, Lestat was the best one, and actually kinda cool. Like killing the dozen or so wolves. Mostly the parts before he's a vampire, though. It's also still ridiculous, but not too Rice-y.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Servo wrote:
    vice wrote:

I don't think this guy is for real. I mean. Surely not. Maybe he's whippy's alt? it's a joke! haahahahaha....

I mean come on.

Langly on
  • Options
    SkankPlayaSkankPlaya Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I just got Dark Knight Returns. I'm about 1/4 the way through it and I don't really like it all that much.

I also got Preacher 7-9 tpb's and I'm looking forward to those.

SkankPlaya on
  • Options
    BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SkankPlaya wrote:
    I just got Dark Knight Returns. I'm about 1/4 the way through it and I don't really like it all that much.

:shock:

Turn in your "Comics Fan" card and leave these forums. Immediately.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TheSaylesManTheSaylesMan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Well...

This is going to sound a bit like a plug. That's because it kinda is. 'Course, I'm not enough of a spammer to create a thread about it, sooo...

Check out UTOPIA.

Sure, it ain't out yet. But you can go over to the WildeTimes.com site and investigate a bit. You could order the preview in their store. Good news is, its free. So if you don't like it, chuck it and never think of it again.

I, myself am really digging it because its got both an unusual story and art style.

TheSaylesMan on
  • Options
    SkankPlayaSkankPlaya Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Briareos wrote:
    SkankPlaya wrote:

I think it is partly due to the fact that the art is somewhat dated, but the same thing can be said of Sandman and The Watchmen, both of which I really liked.

SkankPlaya on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SkankPlaya wrote:
    Briareos wrote:
    SkankPlaya wrote:

I think it is partly due to the fact that the art is somewhat dated, but the same thing can be said of Sandman and The Watchmen, both of which I really liked.

I liked Dark Knight Returns and The Watchmen. Haven't read Sandman yet though.

But my GOD the art in Dark Knight Returns and The Watchmen is just PAINFUL.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Inquisitor wrote:
    SkankPlaya wrote:
    Briareos wrote:
    SkankPlaya wrote:

You are insane.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The art in the Absolute edition of Watchmen is way better than the TPB, just because of the recoloring.

It's amazing what recoloring can do to make older are look better.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I feel like an idiot for thinking art is better just because the colors are brighter.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    Jolly-RogerJolly-Roger Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Inquisitor wrote:
    SkankPlaya wrote:
    Briareos wrote:
    SkankPlaya wrote:

If you haven't already, you two should still read the dark knight strikes again, i liked it alot better than the first.

Jolly-Roger on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Inquisitor wrote:
    SkankPlaya wrote:
    Briareos wrote:
    SkankPlaya wrote:

You are insane.

Yeah. I'm sorry. That is fucking hideous. Don't try and convince me otherwise. Art is very subjective. The reason why it's taken me until a few months ago to actually buy any comics is because I find the art almost entireably unlikeable. I currently only personally own the Ultimates and I find the art barely passable.

Jolly-Roger: I'll definately keep an eye open for the dark knight strikes again. Despite the fact that I loathed the art I absolutely loved the storytelling.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    SkankPlaya wrote:
    Briareos wrote:
    SkankPlaya wrote:

You are insane.

Yeah. I'm sorry. That is fucking hideous. Don't try and convince me otherwise. Art is very subjective. The reason why it's taken me until a few months ago to actually buy any comics is because I find the art almost entireably unlikeable. I currently only personally own the Ultimates and I find the art barely passable.

Jolly-Roger: I'll definately keep an eye open for the dark knight strikes again. Despite the fact that I loathed the art I absolutely loved the storytelling.
    I bet you like Micheal Turner.

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Sars_Boy wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    SkankPlaya wrote:
    Briareos wrote:
    SkankPlaya wrote:

You are insane.

Wanna post some of his stuff? A quick google image search gives me this response though:

No, not really.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Sars_Boy wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    SkankPlaya wrote:
    Briareos wrote:
    SkankPlaya wrote:

You are insane.

Wanna post some of his stuff? A quick google image search gives me this response though:

No, not really.

You have to like Alex Ross' stuff at least. Kingdom Come? His art is mother fucking gorgeous.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Some people don't like verisimilitude.

But I do!

robosagogo on
  • Options
    Jolly-RogerJolly-Roger Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    SkankPlaya wrote:
    Briareos wrote:
    SkankPlaya wrote:

You are insane.

The art was alot like sin-city in the second one, and i understand what you mean, I read the second one first and expected the same type of art (not realizing how far apart they were written) and was not as pleased as I was with the second one, also , the second one has a shitload of other DC heroes in it, which i also liked.

Jolly-Roger on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Fiaryn wrote:
    You have to like Alex Ross' stuff at least. Kingdom Come? His art is mother fucking gorgeous.

Did a GIS for him too. Same answer as before, not really. Haven't read Kingdom Come though, so can't really comment on it.

I think robosagogo hit the nail on the head. I don't think striving to make your art look photo-realistic should be the goal. I'd much rather see someone experimenting with a unique style. Alot of comics look quite similar to eachother, especially if they are from around the same time period.

I'm still getting used to american comics. My first thing close to comics was manga, which I read alot of as a kid. I'm not going to say ones better then the other, cause both have their must reads in my opinion. But they are very different in alot of ways. Manga comes off as far more stylized than american comics, also they are in black in white. The thing I really have to get used to the most is the difference in fight scenes. Fight scenes are so...short in american comics. You hardly see the wind-up for the punch drawn, usually at attack gets one panel. In one of the mangas one of the more dramatic attacks takes two pages, and like...8 panels. Fighting in comics feels choppy to me because of this. Also, good god. People won't shut up during comic book fight. They exchange three blows and like 50 paragraphs of dialogue. In manga you suprised if someone gets out a "damn you!" after exchanging like 5 attacks.

But yeah, tangent. I'd just rather see more artistic experimentation that photorealism.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Maybe you'd like Mike Allred, Skottie Young, Darwyn Cooke, or UDON? I love the minimalist approachs of Allred and Cooke while Young and UDON are just exciting. All of them capture the fun of comic books for me, and especially the humor.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I just got the rest of Morrison's Animal Man.

yes yes yes

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    robosagogo wrote:
    Maybe you'd like Mike Allred, Skottie Young, Darwyn Cooke, or UDON? I love the minimalist approachs of Allred and Cooke while Young and UDON are just exciting. All of them capture the fun of comic books for me, and especially the humor.

I jotted all those name downs and will check them out as soon as I get a real chance to. Gotta slip off to work right now.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    HankScorpioHankScorpio Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Inquisitor wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

I jotted all those name downs and will check them out as soon as I get a real chance to. Gotta slip off to work right now.

I just have to say I feel as though you are doing yourself a great disservice by simply GIS'ing some of these artists. (I checked the last four mentioned and you will find very little, especially in the case of UDON [unless you are looking for pics of noodles])

I would recommend going to a comic shop with your list of names, or hell to a barnes and noble, and flipping through some books or trades. One page, or one panel doesn't do most of these guys justice.

Just a thought.

HankScorpio on
    Scorpiohank.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Inquisitor wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

I just have to say I feel as though you are doing yourself a great disservice by simply GIS'ing some of these artists. (I checked the last four mentioned and you will find very little, especially in the case of UDON [unless you are looking for pics of noodles])

I would recommend going to a comic shop with your list of names, or hell to a barnes and noble, and flipping through some books or trades. One page, or one panel doesn't do most of these guys justice.

Just a thought.
    http://www.comicartcommunity.com/gallery/

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    robosagogo wrote:

juan bobillo, too

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    HankScorpioHankScorpio Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    robosagogo wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

Just a thought.
    http://www.comicartcommunity.com/gallery/

Thats good but i stand by my original recommendation.

HankScorpio on
    Scorpiohank.png
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pb wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

Kyle Baker's King David is probably your best bet. A little uneven at times, but quite excellent overall.

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Are there any comic artists that draw in a style similar to this or this.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Fiaryn wrote:

Did a GIS for him too. Same answer as before, not really. Haven't read Kingdom Come though, so can't really comment on it.

I think robosagogo hit the nail on the head. I don't think striving to make your art look photo-realistic should be the goal. I'd much rather see someone experimenting with a unique style. Alot of comics look quite similar to eachother, especially if they are from around the same time period.

I'm still getting used to american comics. My first thing close to comics was manga, which I read alot of as a kid. I'm not going to say ones better then the other, cause both have their must reads in my opinion. But they are very different in alot of ways. Manga comes off as far more stylized than american comics, also they are in black in white. The thing I really have to get used to the most is the difference in fight scenes. Fight scenes are so...short in american comics. You hardly see the wind-up for the punch drawn, usually at attack gets one panel. In one of the mangas one of the more dramatic attacks takes two pages, and like...8 panels. Fighting in comics feels choppy to me because of this. Also, good god. People won't shut up during comic book fight. They exchange three blows and like 50 paragraphs of dialogue. In manga you suprised if someone gets out a "damn you!" after exchanging like 5 attacks.

But yeah, tangent. I'd just rather see more artistic experimentation that photorealism.

frank

quitely

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2007
    1) if you don't like Darwyn Cooke's art, you are retarded

2) you can't say "I don't like American comic art" because at least 95% of manga art is fucking terrible

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    and on the flip side of the argument, i think fights in manga comics take way too fucking long for the payoff. i don't need or want to see the wind-up, the second as the fist passes the shoulder, the guy's face as the fist comes toward him, the fist as it rockets across the first foot of space between them, the second foot, the third foot, and touches the tip of his nose and then finally his head starts to snap back and i think it's almost over and then it's another panel or two and then finally the whole thing starts over while the other guy throws a punch

boooooooooooooooooooooooooooring

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2007
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Also, good god. People won't shut up during comic book fight. They exchange three blows and like 50 paragraphs of dialogue. In manga you suprised if someone gets out a "damn you!" after exchanging like 5 attacks.

It's because we like to get some story out of the exuberant amounts of money we pay for comics. We like to think about them.

If you don't want dialogue, read some Bendis comics

Garlic Bread on